Experiment Zero

By dangeroustoken

There's more out there than you think. Ashley Cartwright works on a secluded island for her father as a... More

1. New Arrival
2. Confrontation
3. Into the Lion Den
4. Man Child
5. Patient Zero
6. Eat My Dust
7. Woah, Superman
8. Anger On A New Level
9. A Goodbye Gone Wrong
10. Sleepover
Character Interveiw
11. Midnight Scare
12. Queen Of Tasers
13. Caught Sylvia-Handed
14. I Hate Dresses
15. Crashing The Party
16. A Water Bottle, Anyone?
17. Explanations And Spilt Coffee
18. Fartherly Issues
19. Anger That's Not My Own
20. A Syringe Too Many
21. A Very Stupid Plan
5k Views!
22. A Hindrance And A Tragic Departure
24. Sleeping Assassin
25. Sudden Escape
10k Views!!!!
Bonus Character Interview
26. The Wildside
27. Merchant Sons and Fainting
50k views!!!!!!!
28. Darklings, Death, and Drinks
29. Lager
30. Highclere, The Furnace House
31. Queen of Whips
32. A Dark Lightling
33. Dark Pasts and Zero's Confession
34. Interruptions and Staring Contests
35. Peter And The Big Reveal
36. The Big Reveal Continues....And Oh Yeah There's Peter
200k Views Lager's POV
37. And The Plot Developes
Halloween Bonus!
38. My Annoying Shadow
39. Let's Make A Trade
Christmas With A Cripple
Christmas Bonus
40. The Ultimate Showdown
41. The Core
42. A Resolution?
43. Goodbye For Now
Q And A
Bonus Character Interview 2
Bonus Character Interview 3
Epilogue/ Different Character P.O.V.
Sequel

23. A Strange Stranger

59.9K 2.5K 917
By dangeroustoken

My feet hit the wooden floorboard of the ship as I step off the gangplank.

Guards and scientists bustle around me, hurrying to move their things on and get situated. I manage to stop an attendant and ask where my room is located. After receiving a brief set of instructions, I make my way further into the ship, passing the captain's chamber and descending narrow stairs into the heart of the large ship.

Right, right, left. I repeat these instructions in my head while also following them.

Finally, I reach my tiny cabin of a room, with only a small bunk, a dresser, and a round window the size of my head inside. My two suitcases also sit in a corner, with the things I had thought I would need.  For example, a few first aid supplies, extra travel clothes, food, and even more things that would be exactly what you would need if a zombie apocalypse were to occur.

I softly shut the door behind me and make my way to the bed, sitting down just as I feel a slight lurch beneath my feet.

Cheering from the deck sinks below the flooboards to my room, and I can assume the ship has just taken off.

Fighting down my impending seasickness, I carefully lay down on the small cot and wonder where Zero is located on the ship.

Like a crushing wave, sleep sweeps me away.

*                  *                  *                  *                  *

When I wake up, my cabin is dark, and for a second, I start to panic.

Then I notice the slight light coming from the window, and I realize its already night, and the light coming from the window is moonlight.

I rub my eyes, sitting up and stretching. I can't believe I slept that long, but I am also kind of thankful. Hibernating is a way better option to puking my guts up.

I stand up, my knees creaking, just when there's another sudden lurch like the one before I fell asleep.

I fall backwards onto the bed, managing to hit the back of my skull on the wall in the process.

"Ouch!" I say, leaning away and glaring at the stupid wall. I rub the aching spot, waiting a few moments before deciding to stand up again.

I walk over to the window and feel my eyes widen. 

Land! We are approaching a huge island! But it seems the closer we get, the more the waves grow in size.

I pray that when Dad said the captain was the best in the whole U.S. Navy, he meant it.

I glance at the bed, wondering if I should try to hibernate through this one too, but decide against it. It would probably be more beneficial if I could find Dad first. I did come on this trip to protect him afterall.

Speaking of protecting.... . I grab my second suitcase and heave it onto the bed, un-zipping it to reveal tons upon tons of clothes. I cast the clothes aside like garbage, because the clothes are only a distraction, and search for the real thing I had kept hidden.

A sleek, black handle emerges from a fur vest, and I carefully pick it up and take it out of the suitcase.

A simple, standard black pistol. Not too fancy, but equally deadly. I have no idea if it will do any damage against Zero's kind, or any monsters that live on that island, but its better than nothing. I also fail to mention the fact that I have never shot a gun in my life or ever needed too. Ignoring that detail, I twiddle around with the gun, until I'm pretty sure I find what's known as the safety and make sure it's on, I then tuck it into my pants, making sure the t-shirt I wear is billowy enough to hide the strange looking lump.

I stuff all the clothes back into the suitcase, barely managing to zip it up, before wandering out of my room. 

Is it just me, or has the floor gotten even more unsteady? I fight the urge to gag, and make my way down the hall, head spinning slightly.

Oh goody, stairs, I think, eyeing the set that leads up onto the deck.

Slowly, and very, very carefully, I start to make my way up, one step at a time. I curse the people who designed this ship for not including a freaking rail for the stairs, and swallow the bile that rises in my throat when the boat sways to the left.

I start to take another step, when we must hit a big wave because the ship jolts and I feel myself teetering backwards. I cry out, hands sliding against the wall for any friction, but finding none.

I start to fall, when suddenly, something grabs my hands and tugs up, making me lurch up the remaining set of stairs and into the arms of someone.

Zero?

I glance up, wondering if he really is the one who saved me, but feeling slightly disappointed when blonde hair and blue eyes meet me instead.

"Thank you Peter. That would have ended really badly if you weren't there." I say, having to raise my voice slightly over the wind and loud waves.

He flashes one of his famous smiles, taking a small step back out of courtesy, but seeming reluctant to let go. I take another step backward, watching his hand fall to his side.

"No problem Ashley! I was just coming to get you in fact! We're docking soon!"

I wince because he took the raising the voice thing to the extreme, shouting in my ear.

I nod gratefully at him, before turning around and searching the deck. My eyes land on the familiar face of Dr. Cartwright, and I let out a relieved sigh. Still safe and intact, although I have no idea what harm could come to him on a ship.

Peter keeps me company in the next few minutes as I stand on the deck, carefully watching the waves and trying not to throw up while also keep and eye on my dad.

The island gets closer and closer, just a looming shadow now on the horizon, the full moon lighting it up.

More and more people file onto the deck, till it's almost crowded, but I do not see Zero. They must have him in strict containment, no doubt thanks to Mrs. Clark.

Finally, it's to the point where the island is looming right in front of us, nothing visible except for the beach and a few mountains. I look at the stretching land, wondering just how large this island is. Maybe big enough to be a whole country.

"Hold on." Peter says, grabbing my hand and leading me to a nearby rail. I do as he says and clutch the rail tightly, only having to wait a few seconds before the ship gives one huge jolt.

A random person crashes into me and apologies, before moving on. There's silence as everyone takes in the beach and eerie quiet of the island.

We're finally here.

*                *                  *                 *                  *

Since it's late out, everyone agrees to set up camp.

As a group, we head a little into the forest for cover, each of us carrying something. I make sure to keep a close eye on my dad, never straying a few yards away, while also jumping at anything that moves. 

Zero has his own little group of guards around him, guiding him with the rest f us. I manage to catch a small glimpse of him. A pang fills my chest at just that tiny glimpse, and I hurry to distract myself with something else.

It's so quiet, almost too quiet, just like they describe in horror films and novels.

I shiver because of the cool night air, and totally not because of  the cold eerie feeling I feel creeping up my spine.

People seem to also have the same chilled feeling as hurry to set up the tents. 

Since I'm no good at assembling a camp, I'm sent into the forest for firewood.

Zero, who was lead past me at that time, growled, not liking the idea of me going into the forest by myself.

It's okay, I manage to say down the bond. I'll stay close and if anything happens, you'll be able to hear through the bond.

He reluctantly agrees, but only because a guard threatened to sedate him, and what good would he be if he heard I was in trouble through the bond, but wasn't able to help because he was sedated?

I begin my long and perilous journey through the woods, picking up logs and sticks I deem fit for a fire big enough for everyone. It takes much longer than expected to just get an armful, even though I am literally in a jungle full of trees with wood.

By the time I return to the camp, it seems everyone has retired to their situated tents. I snort when I pass the sleeping solider on watch duty and dump the sticks in the middle of the camp. Something catches my eye and I turn to see Zero at the edge of camp, but he's not in a tent. 

No, instead they actually constructed a huge, iron cage, just like one a zoo animal would sleep in.

Zero's curled up on the floor, lying on a blanket, sound asleep. I scowl, betting my life it was Mrs. Clark's decision to have him sleep in a cage. That awful woman! I can't wait for the day she pays for this!

I take one last look at the sleeping Zero, feeling a small smile grace my lips. He kind of looks cute, curled up like that.

Suddenly, I eye the firewood and shake my head. That won't be enough. 

I make my way past the sleeping guard, creeping a little beyond Zero's cage and into the trees. 

I walk a few yards, till the camp is barely out of sight. My eyes scan the ground, looking for fallen branches. I end up in a small clearing, spotting a fallen branch that looks perfect for a fire.

Suddenly, there's a rustle coming from a few yards away.

My hands darts to my pants, grasping the handle of the gun beneath my shirt.

The rustle sounds again, making a few small palm trees sway. Watch, I tell myself. You'll get all worked up and scared, then at the last moment, a squirrel will jump out.

What I was not expecting was for a girl to come stumbling out.

I give a small shriek, stumbling a few steps back and feeling my eyes pop open.

The girl looks up, seeing me and giving a small shriek too, her face turning a bright red.

She looks to be my age, with shoulder length, choppy black hair and brown, tilted eyes. She wears a simple t-shirt and pants, the clothes looking a little worn and dirty.

Is she by herself? I wonder.

"Who are you?" I ask, still cautious. 

She straightens, sizing me up too.

"Who are you?" She snaps back, acting defensively.

I raise my hands in a surrender motion, trying to act clam even though my heart is still racing.

"I'm Ashley Cartwright. Now it's your turn."

"Becky." She says nonchantly. 

I wait for more, but that's it.

"Okay then.....Becky.....Are you by yourself?"

She gives a "psch" sound, flipping her hair.

"Please, as if anyone would be worthy enough to grace with my presence."

I immediately see a tiny but of Sylvia in this girl, but not that much. This girl may seem strange, and a little bit on the sassy side, but she also seems quite funny too. 

"What are you doing in the woods by yourself?" I ask, a little worried for her.

She wave my question away, ignoring it. "What are you?' She asks instead, stepping a few steps closer to size me up. I take a small step back, trying to keep a little bit of distance between us.

"What do you mean?' I ask nervously.

She rolls her eyes, the word noob, seeming to resonate from her thoughts. "Are you a Lightling, or a Darkling? Ooh, please don't tell me you're a Kinling, those are the worst!"

I feel a tiny amont of pity for zero, who is a Kinling, but brush it away.

"Uh..." I say wondering if I should lie, but realizing that would get me nowhere. "I'm human."

The girl.....Becky....blinks at me, staring until it borders the point of uncomfortable. I shift on my feet, wondering when she'll snap out of her trance.

Suddenly, she laughs, the sound echoing through the clearing and making me jolt.

She doesn't just laugh. She cackles, laughing, and laughing, and laughing until I think she may collapse. She takes in huge gulps of air finally, looking at me through teary eyes from her hunched over form.

"A-A human? That's the best joke I've heard in years! I like you Ashely Fartnight."

"One, it's Cartwright, and two, it's the truth!" I say, a little irritated now that's she's finally calmed down and able to speak.

"Sure, and I will marry Chat Noir one day." She says sarcastically.

"What?" I say, totally confused about this Chat Noir person. It sounds familiar. Have I heard it from a tv show?

She waves her hand, shaking her head. "Nothing. Now, I have a very important favor to ask, and I wouldn't ask this if we weren't friends."

"Okay...." I say hesitantly, and since when did we become friends?

"Do you think maybe I could hang with you for a while?"

Dear Readers, Hope you enjoyed this SUPER long chapter. What do you think of the new character Becky? If you like her, don't worry, she'll be sticking around for a while. If I kill her off, I'll be next, which is why I hope you guys like her. Did any of you guys get the Chat Noir thing? If you did, I love you. If you didn't, I still love you because you read my book. Vote, comment, and watch Miraculous Ladybug!

Lots of love,

Dangeroustoken.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Inverted (COMPLETE) By Cags

Mystery / Thriller

75.2K 4.9K 20
Ashley Everson had cheated death, but not on his own. After a miraculous recovery, he discovers he's not alone in his body anymore. Something lurks...
Girl Power By LILY

Teen Fiction

2.4K 160 34
"WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING?!" I yelled "O MY GOD it worked!". OK so that was a little preview of what's going to happen in this book so let me expla...
1.9M 79.7K 23
(COMPLETED | UNDER EDITING) Fresh out of college, Veronica Odair is hired as a forensic scientist at the infamous B.E.A.R. Laboratories. She is put t...
28 5 10
In the year 2150, emotions are a forgotten language. Feelings, outlawed. Humanity, reduced to an unfeeling, cold existence under the iron rule of The...