Possession

By Happyritas

Caelum Forest hated three things. 1. His birth name, Algol. It literally meant "Head of a Goat", or alternat... More

- 1 -
- 2 -
- 3 -
- 5 -
- 6 -
- 7 -
- 8 -
- 9 -
- 10 -
- 11 -
- 12 -
- 13 -
- 14 -
- 15 -
- 16 -
- 17 -
- 18 -
- 19 -
- 20 -
- 21 -
- 22 -
- 23 -
- 24 -
- 25 -
- 26 -
- 27 -
- 28 -
- 29 -
- 30 -
- 31 -
- 32 -
- 33 -
- 34 -
- 35 -
- 36 -
- 37 -
- 38 -
- 39 -
- 40 -

- 4 -

269 17 14
By Happyritas

chapter four:

Caelum arrived at classroom 112 at 3:30 PM, usually around the time he would be clocking in for work. He talked to a few of his colleagues at the shop and had someone cover his shift.

Caelum knew he was going to be joining the team ― he had no other choice in the manner ― but he wanted to see what it was like first before he was forced to actually spend his afternoons there. There was still the possibility of it becoming another ‘track meet’ and an open avenue to more time at work.

Caelum entered the classroom on time. He had his backpack full of work he had to finish. He was well aware of the time he was absolutely wasting being here, but decided not to verbalize it.

Inside the classroom, was a senior, Elizabeth, more commonly known as Liz, Allen. Beside her, was a African-transfer student he didn't know the name of, along with an Asian girl that was also a senior, a plus-size girl, and a shy looking freshman.

Mr. Harrington greeted him easily, “Hello! I'm glad you could join us! The rest of the group will be here soon!”

“Thank you for having me,” he replied, shaking his hand and forcing as much earnestness in his voice could muster.

Mr. Harrington rubbed his hands together in anticipation. “So, what brought you to take interest in the decatha-life?” The man asked and Caelum tried not to roll his eyes.

“My father was in it, in his high school years,” Caelum lied easily. “He thought it would be good if I had the same experience.”

Mr. Harrington bought it and smiled, “Sounds good! Sounds good! So, we're just studying now. It's not too late in the season for you to join us, but it may be more comfortable if you started as an substitute opposed to being on the main team,” Mr. Harrington explained. “Each team has nine members, but it would do well for a replacement if something were to happen.”

“Alright,” Caelum agreed, and Mr. Harrington began to introduce him to the other teammates as they filed into the room. The Asian girl was Cindy Moon, the African student was Abraham, or Abe, Brown. The plus-size girl introduced herself as Sally Avril, although she preferred being called Sal or Salv, and the shy boy was Timothy McKeever, who everyone called Tiny.

As Mr. Harrington was explaining the ins and outs of the Decathlon, two more students entered the room. One, was Michelle Jones, a questionable emo who usually kept to herself and made strange remarks. The other, was the very well known ― and just as easily, well despised ― Eugene Thompson, who went around calling himself ‘Flash' for no apparent reason.

Caelum introduced himself to those who had arrived on time ― or within a reasonable five-minute window of the time allocated. There were seven members so far, they were missing two.

The team had started practicing, going over their study guide for the topic ― this year, it was the Pacific Ocean. It was fifteen minutes into the practice when the door opened again. Caelum didn't turn to look at the last two ― he didn't entertain the attention of those seeking to waste other people's time.

Then, they spoke, “Sorry we're late,” Peter said. “We got held up by a teacher. Who's that?”

Caelum turned, frustration and anger swallowing him whole. Of course. Of course Peter Perfect Parker was on the decathlon team. Of course his father would want him to join the one extracurricular where he would have to spend an hour with the only person he hated more than anything in this world. Of course, it would be his luck!

Peter stared, dumbfoundedly at him and Caelum felt ready to bite his entire head off. “What are you doing here?”

“I am your new teammate,” Caelum said, his voice eerily calm and unsettling. He wanted to leave and smash his skull in a wall.

“You have got to be shitting me,” Ned said, and for once, his vulgar words emulated what Caelum felt. He added, “Sorry, Mr. H,” after receiving a sharp glare.

Caelum rubbed at his eyes. He was absolutely exhausted and didn't want to do this anymore. He wanted to go back home and scream until his lungs bled.

Unfortunately, he'd be spending the next hour trying not to notice Peter, who was sitting ―  conveniently ― right next to him.

° · ° · ° · °

Caelum left the classroom at the first chance he got. He couldn't do this. This was where he'd draw the line. An hour of sitting annoyingly close to Peter Parker had done it. Close enough that their arms would brush, causing him to jerk away, that he could see the muscles in his jaw work whenever he talked.

Nope. Nope. He couldn't do this ― he couldn't. It was torture. How would he relay the news to his father? He couldn't say he didn't qualify, that didn't add up with his scholarship. He could say it clashed with his track meet, but then he'd demand to see his schedule.

God, this was too much. He was too much. All this because of Peter Parker! Caelum wanted to throw something. He wanted to hit something.

Caelum ran his hands down his face, rubbing at his tired eyes. He needed to get home. It was rush hour, more people would be on the subway.

He took a stop by his locker before he went home, grabbing a few textbooks he would need for his homework. He stopped however, when he heard someone tap on the metal door, trying to get his attention.

Caelum sighed, closing the door to look at them. Peter was watching Caelum and he wanted to turn away at the intensity of the gaze. “What do you want, Parker?” Caelum demanded, grabbing his backpack that laid at his feet, bending down to stuff his books inside.

“I want to talk.”

“You always seem to want to do that,” Caelum replied sharply. “What happened? Did you get a new vocabulary and wanted to break it in?”

Peter huffed, ignoring the jab. “I thought we decided to. . . stay away from each other.”

“Yes, that was the plan,” Caelum said, yanking his bag up and slinging it on his shoulders. “I'm so glad you were listening, it warms my heart.”

Cael―”

“I actually don't remember us ever deciding that the,” he made finger quotes, “‘Plan’, was ever put out of order.”

“We're going to have to talk eventually,” Peter insisted. “You're on the decathlon team now.”

“Don't remind me,” Caelum muttered, pushing past him to leave. “If this was all―”

“If don't like decath, then why did you join?” Peter asked, walking closely behind him.

“It wasn't my decision,” Caelum said bitterly. “Do you really think I want to spend my time answering questions on the hundred different species of whales!?” Caelum froze, too much information, he didn't need to know that.

Caelum hurried on, trying to get to the bus, hoping he didn't miss it ― the next one didn't come for another ten minutes, and Caelum didn't know he could stand another thirty seconds with Peter.

Cael,” Peter said, but Caelum wasn't listening. They got to the main entrance, and Caelum was about to walk out the door when someone else called his name.

“Mr. Forest,” Caelum froze, his hand hovering over the door’s handle. Peter turned, and blinked at the Principal who was approaching them.

“Principal Davis,” Peter said, and Caelum turned slowly, trying to keep his face as neutral as possible.

“Do you mind if I see you in my office, Mr. Forest?” Caelum swallowed, a cold terror gripping him.

“I have to get home,” Caelum protested weakly. “My brothers. . . They'll need to be picked up soon.”

“It'll only be a minute, I promise,” Principal Davis gave him a wink and Caelum wanted to vomit all over his shoes.

Peter kept looking between the two, “I'd everything alright, Cael?” Peter asked. Caelum wanted to grab the boy's hand and run as fast as he could. He wanted to get as far away from this school as humanly possible.

Instead, he nodded stiffly. “Go home, Parker. It'll be getting dark soon.”

“I agree,” Principal Davis said. Peter sent the Caelum a curious look, but turned away and walked out of the school.

Principal Davis led Caelum to his office and sat him down. “Concerning your tuition. Mr. Forest,” Principal Davis began, but Caelum cut him off.

“I paid this morning! I gave it to Mrs. Keeley.”

Principal Davis was quick, and sharply hit Caelum across the face. Caelum’s face flew to the side, and he moaned, holding his cheek. His wedding ring hand dug into Caelum’s skin, making a sharp cut. “Do not speak out of turn, boy.” Principal Davis ordered. He grabbed Caelum by the tie of his uniform and it choked on his neck. Caelum gasped, trying to pull away, his hands trying to undo it, but it didn't loosen.

Principal Davis let him squirm a bit before he spoke. “Do you want to be kicked out of this school?” Caelum frantically shook his head. “Then do as I tell you.” He finally let go and Caelum gasped, frantically adjusting his tie. He hunched over to breathe, barely listening to the words the man spoke above him. “Your tuition was short by a twenty six dollars. And, according to Mr. Harrington, you will be joining the decathlon team, which has a hundred joining fee ― to pay for expenses such as study guides, flashcards, and other extremities. There will be events as well as other activities. Do you, Mr. Forest, have the money to pay for all this?”

Caelum stared at his shoes, his body trembling. “N. . . Not yet, sir, but I--I can find the money. If you. . . if you could just give me time, I could. . .” his heart stuttered in his chest as Principal Davis stepped over and rubbed Caelum's shoulders. Caelum tried not to shiver at his touch. “Please, give me a chance. There are a few things I need to. . . to finalize, then everything will be in order.”

“Time isn't something you have, Mr. Forest,” Principal Davis said, almost pitingly. He leaned down in his ear, gently caressing his face. Caelum flinched, feeling his hot breath coming down his spine. “Not yet, at least.”

Caelum stared straight ahead, not making eye contact with the man. Not as he forced him to his knees and began to undo his clothes.

Slowly, Caelum closed his eyes. He vaguely wondered if all this was worth it. All the things he did, all the money he saved, all the work he put in, was it worth this? His father's approval and good graces? When was he supposed to draw the line? Was he even able to at all? Did he have that authority, or was it stripped from him the first day he walked through the office doors?

° · ° · ° · °

Caelum sat quiet at the dinner table. They were having steak and asparagus. Caelum ate the asparagus minding his own business.

“Did you join the decathlon yet?” His father asked.

“Yes, sir,” Caelum replied. “It is interesting. The kids are smart. I had no problem joining. My GPA is within the criteria for being able to do it as well.”

Good!” His father beamed. “When is the first ‘event’?”

"Not anytime soon,” Caelum replied. “January. The national event begins in late May.” His father nodded again.

“Well I think that's absolutely wonderful,” his mother said. “It's good to be in a few extracurriculars. Does it interfere with your track schedule?”

“No, ma'am,” Caelum responded. “They're on alternating days, and my track team isn't competitive, there's not enough people.”

His father nodded reasonably, “Well, it is a STEM school, I'm not surprised.”

Finally, the twins spoke up in unison. “What happened to your cheek?” Caelum was thrown off by the question. He forgot about the cut and wanted to forget about his encounter with Principal Davis as well.

His mother looked closely at him, “You are cut,” she confirmed. “And there's bruising around your neck ― what happened?”

Caelum tried not to panic, he touched his checkered the blood had dried. “I must've worn my tie too tight today,” he said, praying that she would buy it. “I didn't realize I was indecent. May I be excused?”

His mother gave him a curious look, “Yes.”

Caelum stood, picking up his empty plate. “I also have homework to do. I'll be in my room for the rest of the night.” He rinsed his plate and put it in the dishwasher.

He was just about to leave the room when his father spoke again. “I need you to clear your schedule this Friday afternoon. You and I will be going out.”

Caelum turned to the man. Friday's he had work, and he needed as many hours as he could if he wanted to earn that one hundred, twenty-six dollars. Even thinking about it gave him anxiety.

But, he knew he couldn't use either of those reasons against his father. He already told them practices were in Tuesday's and Thursday's. He couldn't change that either. He couldn't say he had track ― he told them it wasn't competitive so they would believe that practices weren't mandatory.

He'd have to go, there was no other option.

“Yes, sir,” he said and turned to go back into his room.

° · ° · ° · °

Caelum was up late again and again he heard the knock on his window. Caelum was stressing over money, he didn't have time to talk to Peter.

The knock came again, louder this time. Caelum inhaled, if he knocked and his parents heard he'd be in trouble.

Caelum begrudgingly went to the window and cracked it again. “What the hell do you want, Parker?!” Caelum snapped and Peter was taken aback for a moment.

Caelum couldn't keep the annoyance from his voice. In the past twenty-four hours, he slept thirty minutes and ate a bit of vegetables and a few asparagus. He was hungry, he was tired, and he had work he needed to complete.

“I want to talk.” Caelum was going to murder this kid.

“Why is it that you never seem to be able to talk at normal times?!” Caelum hissed.

“What happened to your cheek?” Caelum froze, and immediately wanted to close the window and hide, but knew that was a bit too conspicuous.

“It's none of your business,” Caelum snapped, but his vigor was gone.

Peter noticed and grinned, “You need a break. You're too crabby. C'mon,” he waved his hand. Caelum frowned and rolled his eyes, sighing. He grabbed his blanket, his jacket, and his slippers. He put the clothes on and climbed out of the window with Peter Parker in front of him, smiling serenely.

Caelum closed his window and walked down to Peter's level. He wrapped himself in the blanket and leaned against the railing. This time, he positioned himself in the light of the city, that way he wouldn't be tempted to do something stupid again.

This however, had the opposite effect. The moon was particularly keen on being bright and was reflected in Peter's eyes. Also, the city lights caused somewhat of a halo effect around the boy, giving him the look of an angel.

God, it was no use. Peter was actually perfect.

“What do you want?” Caelum asked, cleaning his nails, finding anything else to do but look at the boy.

“Are you going to the field trip?” Peter asked suddenly, and Caelum rose an eyebrow.

What field trip?”

“The one in science, remember? It's next week.” Caelum suddenly did remember. He paid for it last month. He didn't want to go, but the influence for Oscorp Industries was evident and he would like a few connections there after school ended.

“Oh,” Caelum nodded. “What about it?”

“I was just wondering,” Peter replied and Caelum wanted to scoff in his face and go back to his room.

He didn't. He stayed where he was.

“Cael, are you okay?” Caelum blinked, confused by the question.

“I don't understand,” he replied.

“Are you okay? You know. . . are you feeling okay?”

“Why wouldn't I feel well? I am not sick,” he frowned for a minute. “Are you implying that I look ill?”

“I, no.” Peter said. “I mean. . . you've been acting weird lately―”

“How are you going to judge how I've been acting ‘lately'?” Caelum scoffed. “The past week has been the most contact either of us has shared since fifth grade.”

“I can tell,” Peter replied earnestly.

“You don't know me,” Caelum stated coldly. “I want nothing to do with you, remember? What ever happened to ‘stay away from me’? Did that message not come across to you? Why don't you leave me be?”

“I already told you,” Peter said. “I want to be your friend.”

Caelum wanted to call bullshit, but he didn't feel like arguing. “I'm going back to bed.” He announced, getting up, but Peter stopped him.

Wait!” He said, and Caelum rose an eyebrow. “I. . . I don't know how else to ask this. . .”

“Then don't.”

“What is going on between you and Principal Davis?” Caelum jerked his body away from him, stumbling into the side of the rail. Peter watched him and continued talking. “You two. . . he asked you to stay longer after we went to the meeting and he stopped you when we were trying to leave. Is something wrong? Are you in trouble?”

Caelum felt like he was going to be sick. He held it in, looking away. He tried to think of an answer, and said the first thing that came to mind. “He and I were discussing the scholarship,” Caelum said quickly. That made sense.

Peter nodded, “Are you going to be able go stay at Midtown?”

Caelum gave a brisk nod. “I will. If you stop calling me outside at unholy hours of the morning to talk,” Caelum shot and Peter gave a weak smile. “I’m going to bed. Leave me alone.” Peter took the memo and went to his own window while Caelum returned to his room, feeling as if he narrowly dodged a bullet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17K 453 80
Tony is devastated seeing peter in his state after the loki incident after he found out that fury took him in under his wing he wanted peter to have...
385K 11.5K 56
PETER PARKER FANFIC **** Peter Parker has been your best friend since you were young and you both are crushed when you move away to another state. E...
Stronger By Ava

Fanfiction

30.2K 958 18
Peter Parker had a perfect life. When he was born, maybe. But not now. Never in a million years could this be a perfect life. Extended summary inside...
7.5K 374 13
Book 3/3 ( Happening during No Way Home) Y/N believed that nothing could come between him and Peter, and that they were destined for a fairy tale end...