Kameela

By NegusNestor

A story about Kameela Azeez's marital life. The how, the when and the who. Follow Kameela as she experiences... More

Sorry
Chapter 1 - Arrival
Chapter 2 - Food for Thought
Chapter 3 - Family Event
Chapter 4 - Wedding Plans
Chapter 5 - Admirer
Chapter 6 - The Sleepover
Chapter 8 - Platonic
Chapter 9 - Epiphany
Chapter 10 - Summer Feels
Chapter 11 - Confession
Chapter 12 - Doubts
Chapter 13 - The Wedding
Chapter 14 - Unveiled
Chapter 15 - Candy Man
Chapter 16 - Revelation
Chapter 17 - Double Suprise
Chapter 18 - Bad News
Chapter 19 - Return Of The Dreaded
Chapter 20 - Shook
Chapter 21 - Discovery
Chapter 22 - Heartbroken
Chapter 23 - Guest
Chapter 24 - Home Sick
Attention
Chapter 25 - The Verdict
Chapter 26 - Annex
NOTICE
Chapter 27 - Jettison
Chapter 28 - A Subtraction and an Addition
Chapter 29 - Love and Misadventure
Chapter 30 - Ahhh!!! Mad???
Chapter 31 - Cafes And Confessions

Chapter 7 - Proposal

450 49 3
By NegusNestor

Kameela's P.O.V.

As I tried my best to close my eyes, I kept covering my face with my blanket and changing position. Maybe the darkness will take me back to Chris Brown's arms. Shutting my eyes, I just felt vast emptiness. I couldn't just go back to his arms, I was fully awake.

Sitting up on my bed, I feel around my blanket for my phone. I find it at the edge of the bed about to take the leap of faith. Picking it up and pressing on the lock button I see 4:31am on my lock screen. No point in going back to sleep. I stand up and stretch but something felt odd. I head to the toilet. I brush my teeth, did my ablution and leave the bathroom.

Walking into my office and settling down on my swivel chair, my bosses secretary and probably only friend at work, Maimuna walks into the office too.

"Morning." She grumbles as she sits on the chair on the opposite side of my table.

"Good morning to you too." I said as I look at her trying to figure out what made her mood go south.

So it was a meeting that we both had to attend because once again our boss 'couldn't make it'. I really do wonder what this man is always up to. Immediately after the meeting, I decide to go back home after dropping Maimuna at work. I can't come and kill myself.

I enter the house feeling tired and hungry. So I head towards the kitchen to see what TaRasulu cooked for lunch. Entering the kitchen I find my mum, Bello and TaRasulu doing one thing or another. Is there going to be a party?

"Is someone getting married?" I asked, speaking to no one in particular as I walk to a cabinet to get a cup.

"Yes, you." My mum said not sparing me a glance as she chops up onions on the board.

"Sureeee." And Childish Gambino is my husband. My mum doesn't even know how to be sarcastic. She never uses the tone.

"You're going to Manal's house today." My mum said. I don't remember telling my mum that I was going to anyone's house today.

"No I'm not." I said as I opened the fridge to get the milk.

"Yes you are. Amina is coming over to pick you up. So go upstairs and get ready now." She ordered me.

"But I want to stay home cause I'm tired. And besides, Manal doesn't know that we are coming." I whined as I poured the milk into the cup.

Dropping her knife down, "She does. Now go upstairs and get ready before I get angry." She said staring at me intensely.

"Fine." I rolled my eyes after I backed her because I was definitely not ready for a lesson on being rude to parents. Entering my room, I finish drinking my milk. Then I remove all my clothes while dancing around. I have a habit of doing that. I take off my contacts and have a nice slow shower and come out. While I was putting on my clothes, Amina enters my room.

"What is this sudden visit to Manal's house all about?" I said without any greeting.

"I don't know too. My mum just told me to come pick you up and head to Manal's house." She said plopping herself on my bed.

"Today is really weird. My mum is actually doing some kitchen work and she is sending me away to Manal's house as if she wasn't just complaining last week that we should give Manal and her husband space." I said as I hop up and down for my jeans to enter.

"Anyways, get your laptop so we could connect it to her TV and watch the new shows you got."

"Sure. Could you please pass that bag over there?" She hands the bag over to me and I put my laptop and charger inside. As I drop the bag on my desk I hear a knock.

"Come in!" I yell as I walk towards the mirror to tie my scarf.

"Hajiya Fatima said you have 15 minutes to eat and finish getting ready. She wants you to be out of the house by 5." Bello said after he drops the tray on his way out.

"I wonder what I have done that my own mother is sending me out of my father's house." I said more to myself. After eating, Amina and I head to the car.

"Oh shit I forgot my phone!" I said as I turn to jog back to my room. After getting it and putting it in my purse, I decide to tell my dad goodbye since I didn't see him in the morning before I left for work. About to enter his room I hear my mum talking.

"....believe this is happening. All this noise I have been making for her to........" I hear a ringtone. Shit it's mine. I run outside so I won't get caught. Amina was already in the car waiting. I open the door and sit beside her. I keep on repeating what I heard my mum say.

"Is everything alright?" Amina asked.

"I'm not entirely sure." I said not sparing her a glance. I use my phone till we arrive at Manal's house. It's like Manal was waiting for us because immediately the driver stopped the car she came running outside.

"I missed you guys so much!" She screamed as she squeezed me in a hug.

"If my laptop falls and breaks, it's Sameer that will buy me a new one." I said holding my bag tightly.

"We were here just last week. Are you that bored?" Amina said almost immediately.

"Oh my God yessssss. I can't wait to go back to school. This man is always leaving me at home."

"So you rather be in school studying whatever medicine students study?" Amina asked. Manal nods her head vigorously in reply.

"Low-key, he is tired of you already." I said.

"That's impossible." Manal said as she drags me and Amina into her house.

After we settle down, we start watching Geostorm. While watching it, we hear a beep on someone's phone. We all check our phones at the same time. It isn't mine so I just drop my phone back and keep on watching the movie. Manal stands up and leaves the living room. Amina also drops her phone so I guess the sound came from Manal's phone.

A little while after, I hear Manal's ringtone from afar but only for a split second maybe it's because she either cut it or answered it. Might be her husband so I didn't really bother much.

I really need to sleep but the movie was coming to an end so that's when my attention is at 200%. Suddenly I hear footsteps coming my way and the sofa I was on dips in as someone sits there. That's weird, I thought Amina was sitting there. So I turn my head to see who it is. To my surprise, I see Ismail. I am so confused. I bet my expression portrays it too because Ismail chuckles a bit.

"When did you get here? Where did Mimi disappear to? I could swear she was just here." I said looking around the room.

"I just got here and I've got no idea where she is." He said calmly as he adjusts himself to face me.

"I actually wanted to ask you something." He said as he looks at me with some sort of expression.

"Shoot." I said as I turn my head back to the TV just to watch the credits.

"I need your attention here, with me." I just turn my head slowly, he sounds like he is about to drop something heavy. I open my mouth to ask what is up with him when I see him slide to the floor and he is on his knee and his eyes look into mine, well into my glasses cause I took off my contacts before I left home. He presses something on his phone and something starts playing. I've heard that before.

Have you got colour in your cheeks?
Do you ever get the fear that you can't shift the type that sticks around like summat in your teeth?
Are there some aces up your sleeve?
Have you no idea that you're in deep?
I've dreamt about you nearly every night this week
How many secrets can you keep?
Cause there's this tune I found that makes me think of you somehow and I play it on repeat
Until I fall asleep
Spilling drinks on my settee
Do I wanna know?
If this feeling flows both ways?
Sad to see you go
Was sorta hoping that you'd stay
Baby, we both know
That the nights were mainly made
For saying things that you can't say tomorrow day...

It's Do I Wanna Know. But why is he on his knees with the song playing. Trying to ask that but I see him put his hand into his pocket and bring out a black velvet box. Hold the fuck up. What is happening? He opens it and Lo and Behold! A silver ring, I can't really see the details cause I was far away from it. Wait! A ring, he's on his knees, Arctic Monkeys song. Is he proposing? That can't be, he doesn't even like me, well I mean he does but not marriage level. Right? And like he's hausa. Hausa guys don't do this, do they? I don't even know what to think right now. Is this a prank? How does he even know I want a proposal like this?

"Are you gonna answer me now? My knee hurts." He said as he adjusts his knee.

"I'm.... I'm sorry." I hear myself say. I have no clue on what I should do next. Should I run out? Should I say yes? Should I say no? Should I just keep staring at him?

"Ismail give me a sec." I said not even looking at him as I slowly rise. I head out of the house and I just start walking.

Destination: nowhere.

If this was a prank, he would've stopped me before I left. I know he doesn't really play like that. It's quite baffling how he knows that I wanted such type of proposal. But putting those things aside, if he actually just proposed to me that means he wants to marry me. That's why my mum sent me here, she knows. That's probably why she was in the kitchen, cause she does many funny things when excited. I mean who doesn't what Ismail as a son-in-law.

So is it a yes or a no? To be honest, I'm not ready to get married now even though my mum thinks I am. Ismail is like everything I never wanted. But he is so kind and sweet and he is really handsome. He is what other girls want. Not me. Don't get me wrong, I want to marry a kind, sweet, handsome fellow just not Ismail.

He doesn't even know me like that. I have too many things hurdled up inside me he doesn't even know about it. It won't be fair if I say no to him because he already got a ring and got on his fucking knee that will just hurt his pride. And if I say yes, it will also not be fair on him because he will not like what I bring with me. Kameela think! What do you want?

Finding myself on a street that I'm not sure if it leads to Manal's house. I will just walk back till I find some landmark I recognise. I keep on walking with the answer at the tip of my tongue. I find Ismail on the sidewalk and I think he sees me too because he starts speed walking. By the time he stands in front of me he smiles and opens his mouth to talk.

"I'm glad tha..." I cut him off.

"No."

"Wha...what?"  He stuttered.

"I'm sorry. I don't just like you enough for marriage. I'm so sorry. I'm not ready for all this. I'm not the one for you. I'm really sorry." I awkwardly try to explain myself.

"Don't be. Let's head back." I follow him as we walk down the street with nothing but tension. Immediately we arrive at Manal's house, Manal came to hug me.

"You knew." I whisper to Manal as she held me in a hug. When she pulls away, she tries to give me the 'what are you saying' look but I wasn't having any of it.

I bet Amina and Manal could see how uncomfortable both of us look. Amina opens her mouth to talk but my phone starts ringing. I check and it's my mum. She says I should get back home.

"Mimi, Mama said I should head back home. Let's go."

"But I don't want to go now."

"How do you expect me to go home? You want me to fly there?"

"Umm Ismail can take you." Manal said as she keeps looking at both of us. I guess I have no choice really.

The car ride back home was as silent as a graveyard. I kept my eyes glued to the window. When we arrive at my house I just grab my bag and purse about to head out I hear him speak.

"Goodnight." He said before I close the door. I just plaster a smile accompanied with a nod.

Entering the house, I just dash straight to my room and slam my body on my bed. I call my mum to let her know I was back and of course she asks me how 'it' was. I just said fine and bid her goodnight. I change to my pyjamas and lay back on my bed.

Ismail's P.O.V.

I used my wonderful sisters to find out Kameela's views on marriage. Asides from the fact that she doesn't plan on marrying her cousin, I found out that she wants to be proposed to but after asking for consent from her parents.

I never thought I will propose to my wife-to-be. I find guys that propose to be brave. To propose, you have to set your ego, your pride aside and get down on one knee. At that moment, you're putting your lifeline on the line. But it's Kameela I want and I will do what she wants. Low-key, I'm scared. Like what if she says no. I don't even think I will get married again because I can't deal with two rejections in one lifetime. Sometimes, I still remember what she did and it still hurts but I have to move forward.

I planned the proposal with Aisha but if Aisha knows then my mum, Manal and even Aunty Fatima know. It was Aunty Fatima that brought up the notion to send Kameela to Manal's house instead of Amina's.

Around 7 in the evening, my mum calls me and tells me Kameela is at Manal's. It's time for the show I guess. After the call, I texted Manal to move away from Kameela because I was about to call her. After exactly 5 minutes, I call her and immediately after the first ring she picks up.

"She's at your house yeah?" I asked

"Mhmm. She is the living room watching TV with Amina."

"I'm on my way so could you and Amina leave her alone? Just give some excuse and take Amina away."

"No problemo bro. That will be 20k."

"How can you extort me like that?"

"Well because you have the money and I want to gain something out of your happiness."

"So seeing me happy is not enough for you ?"

"Nope."

"Alright alright. Fine. I will give you when I come over." I can't believe this girl. After 30 minutes of driving, I finally arrive at Manal's house. Entering the house I notice that the TV is on. Coming close to the sofa facing the TV, I saw Kameela. Shes wearing her glasses which looks weird cause I'm already used to her wearing her dark grey coloured contacts. She has all are attention on the movie. So I just sit beside her. After a second or two, she turns to look at me. She has the most confused expression on her face. I just had to laugh a little.

"When did you get here? Where did Mimi disappear to? I could swear she was just here." She said looking around the room like she was looking for Amina.

"I just got here and I've got no idea where she is." I said as I adjust myself to face her. Well this is it. It's now or never.

"I actually wanted to ask you something." I said looking at her with so many things running through my head. Will she say no, will she say yes, do I look okay, will she laugh till she drops.

"Shoot." She said as she turns her head back to the TV. Who watches the credits?

"I need your attention here, with me." She turns her head slowly and she looks like she's about to say something but I slide down to the floor and balance on my left knee and look straight into her glasses cause I can't really see her eyes so I look at the middle assuming that her eyes will be there. I press play on my phone and her well to do proposal song comes on. She has the look of familiarity on her face. Then suddenly her eyebrows rise, causing her forehead to wrinkle to some sort of surprised expression. I put my hand in my pocket to bring out the ring. I open the box and I look up at her. She keeps on looking at the ring with her brows furrowed in.

"Are you gonna answer me now? My knee hurts." I said as I try to rebalance myself on my knee.

"I'm.... I'm sorry." She stutters. She looks like she was calculating something for NASA.

"Ismail give me a sec." With that, she slowly stands up with her eyes glued to the floor and she left the house. Oh wow! That was a blow. I sat down on the floor. Thinking how I will survive the rest of my life without a partner. I just lost Kameela before I even had her. My ego is a negative right now.

"Where's Kameela?" I hear Manal's voice.

"She has gone. She left." I said.

"She said no? Don't worry, she wasn't destined to be yours. God's plan."

"She didn't answer me. She just left the house."

"She left?!?!? You know she doesn't know this area properly!!!" With that, it dawns on me that Kameela still doesn't know areas properly and this area is kind of secluded. I stand up immediately and leave the house. I keep on walking on the sidewalks of the street Manal's house is on. It's a pretty long one. I keep on turning around to see if maybe Kameela will appear. As I keep on walking, I set my eyes on her. I think she sees me too cause she's looking my way. I walk faster to meet up with her. When I finally meet up with her, she stops walking. I don't know what to say. I'm just glad right now she didn't get lost.

"I'm glad tha..." She cuts me off.

"No."

"Wha...what?" I try asking.

"I'm sorry. I don't just like you enough for marriage. I'm so sorry. I'm not ready for all this. I'm not the one for you. I'm really sorry." She said as she rubs her arms which shows how hard it is for her to say it. I feel bad putting her in such position.

"Don't be. Let's head back." I said trying to contain my emotions and think straight. We walk back to Manal's house with car horns as the background music. Entering the house, Manal ran to hug Kameela. I felt just so uncomfortable with rejected stamped all over my face. I spaced out thinking about everything and nothing till Manal says

"Umm Ismail can take you."

The ride to her house was dead quiet. I'm honestly just really surprised that Kameela can keep quiet for so long. It kind of makes me feel bad. Upon arriving at her house, she grabbed her two bags ready to hop off the car. When she tries to shut the door, I tell her goodnight but she just attempts to smile and nods with it. I guess we won't be talking for awhile now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.9K 2.4K 34
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
68.5K 2.3K 70
I do not own any of the characters. Y/n are a supe. But not a famous one, that didn't work out. Now you are one of the sevens PAs. Maybe, briefly Th...
293K 8.2K 137
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."
40.7K 1K 88
In which Kim Saena is in a groupchat with a bunch of idiots Or In which Bangchan finds himself inside a groupchat with a bunch of delusional fans ~~★...