Bus Ride (ON-HOLD)

By thisthingwithyellow

Just when you think that your life is plain and normal, destiny makes you bump into a girl who is as ordinary... More

One: Girl on the Bus
Two: Trapped
Three: Small Talk
Four: Monique
Five: The Plan
Six: Monique's Thoughts
Seven: Ellie's Happy Heart
Eight: This Calls for Celebration
Nine: Confession
Ten: Monique's Happy Heart
Eleven: Ticks for the Gold!
Twelve: First Date
Thirteen: Confirmed
Fourteen: Filthy Old Homophobe
Fifteen: Pancakes
Sixteen: Almost!
Seventeen: One Sweet Day
Eighteen: The Witch
Nineteen: My Girl is Jealous
Twenty: What Does She See Actually?
Twenty One: The Storm
Twenty Two: Staying Strong
Twenty Three: Run Away

Twenty Four: Flying to Ottawa

2.9K 101 23
By thisthingwithyellow

Monique's POV

The pain behind my back has already lessened after quite a while, but it still hurts whenever I try to move too much. The person sleeping beside me is the one who gives me strength to carry on. Without her, I think I would've given up on trying to recover faster.

"Ellie~" I coo, stroking her sleeping face. Her face scrunches lightly when my finger brushes against her nose, making me giggle softly.

She stirs and then stretches, sending her arms straight up against the bed post. "Ouch!" She must've hit it too hard and woken her up immediately. "That hurts." She mumbles and rubs her knuckles gently.

"Let me see," I say and take her hand in mine. She seems to be a little surprised that I am beside her, "You slept over last night, remember?" I chuckle as I caress her knuckles. She nods and rubs her sleepy eyes after she pulls back her hand.

"Where's Violet?" She looks around the room. "Oh my, has she been sleeping there at the corner since last night?"

I watch Ellie as she jumps out of the bed, rushing towards my sleeping sister. She must have felt guilty for making Violet sleep on the floor.

"Carry her here." She nods. She tries not to have too much movement as she scoops Violet up gently.

"Damn, she's quite heavy." She huffs when she places Violet beside me.

"Hey, don't be so mean. She's just a baby." I laugh when Ellie gives me an unbelievable look. "Well, she is a baby but not as light as a baby then." She chuckles.

"Now, my baby." She says, walking over to my side. "I have already planned everything nicely. All you have to do is wait for me. You can trust me." She says earnestly and strokes my hair with her gentle hand.

I can only give her a light smile as I am uncertain of what is going to happen ahead. "I gotta go home now and pack up. Uncle Thomas will be helping you. Will you explain to Violet when she wakes up?" I nod and she holds my hand in hers. "I love you." She whispers into our hands and kisses my hand a few times before she stands up to leave.

"Ellie," I call out when she's about to shut the door.

"Yes?" She peers through the gap.

"Be safe." I flash her a genuine smile.

She nods and chuckles loud enough for me to hear, "I will. See you soon."

As much as I don't want her to leave, I have to bear it for a while before she returns to my side again.

Is running away an absurd act? But what will happen if we don't?

I can only stare at the ceiling as I have only very limited movements. My sister is still sleeping very soundly beside me and I can hear someone coming up the stairs. It can't be my mother as she's out for work early in the morning. Yes, she is that very competitive.

"Monique?" I hear uncle's voice, "Can I come in?"

"Yes." I say loudly.

The door slowly swings open and I see uncle holding onto a tray of breakfast. "Oh, Violet is still asleep. Is she that tired? It's already eleven am." He puts down the tray on the desk and walk over to the bed. "Violet sweety," he shakes her gently, trying to wake her up. I close my eyes for a moment to get rid of the tiredness in my eyes.

"Finally," uncle chuckles when Violet sits up. " Go and help Monique to wash up and have your breakfast too." Then he sits on the edge of the bed after Violet goes for a wash. "Monique, you know what's going to happen right?" He asks and looks at me intently.

I nod and he continues, "Great. I'll help you pack up later. We must leave before 5pm. She is coming home with your dad. But they're not on a very good term right now, as you can see."

What's new? Dad and mom are always not on a good term. They always fight, if not, in a cold war. We are so used to it already and dad is seldom at home.

"Is it really okay to leave Violet here? What if mom does something bad to her? I don't want my sister to get hurt too."

"She will be safe. Trust me. If you're lost, your mother won't have the cheek to bring Violet to Australia because people will ask her where you are. She will be too embarrassed to even do that. Don't worry, I will look after your sister."

"I don't want her to get hurt too, uncle. Please take extra care of her. If...if possible, bring her away too." I say with so much worry.

"I know what to do, Monique. Don't get too worried about it. I've already booked two air tickets to Ottawa. There's a friend of mine living there and she will help the both of you. Keep this with you." He hands me a folded envelope which he takes out from his pocket. "It has her name, her address, her phone number, her photo, so you'd know what she looks like."

"Uncle...I don't know how to thank you enough." I can feel my eyes getting wet. "I never thought that I would have to leave San Francisco like this one day. I...don't know what to say."

"You're leaving?" Violet is standing by the door, holding a washbowl and a towel on her arm. She walks to us, confused. "Why are you leaving? With who? You're going to leave me alone here?"

I knew this is going to happen. "Violet..."

"Violet sweety, your sister has to leave. She's leaving with Ellie to Canada. If she doesn't leave, your future will be ruined in your mother's hand." Uncle explains. "Your sister will be safe and so as you."

Violet's lips quiver and her eyes are brimming with tears. "But I don't want my sister to leave." The tears trickle down her cheeks and I swallow the lump in my throat. "Can't you bring me too?" She asks me.

"I...I hope I could. But, I don't want you to suffer with us, Violet." I say apologetically.

"She can't bring you with her. You have to stay. You have to look after this house. I will explain everything to you later. Please, help your sister to wash up and have breakfast first." Uncle says in a stern tone. Violet can only obey. My heart pains seeing her wipe her tears away.

"Violet.." I call out and envelop her into my embrace when she sits next to me. "This won't be forever. I will comeback. I promise." She sadly nods and I kiss her on the cheek.

Ellie's POV

Mom and Dad,

I will have to leave San Francisco for I don't have idea how long. Please don't be mad at me. I am sorry that I let you down. I am leaving because I have to save someone I love. Mom, do you remember Monique? She's my girlfriend. I know that sounds weird and unacceptable, but right now, all I need most is your understanding. I'm sorry for being such a disgrace to our family for liking a girl. I am sorry. I promise I'll come back and explain everything to you thoroughly when things are over. We're having a hard time right now, but I know we'll get through this. On our own. Do not try to find us, mom and dad as it will only put our lives into danger. Please. I will email to you every week. I promise. I love you so much mom and dad.

- Ellie.

I look at the letter that I have written and fold it nicely. This sudden departure will sadden my parents for sure and I'm certain they will be shocked to know the kind of relationship I have with Monique. Nonetheless, I place it on the dining table and look around the empty house for another time before I pull my luggage. Once I finally step out, I hop in the cab that is waiting outside.

"Where to?"

"San Fran Airport." I say and look at our house for one last time as the cab accelerates.

I don't have much money with me. Though I have some savings, I doubt we can survive for a week in another country. I still don't have any idea where we're going but I put my trust on uncle Thomas.

Are you there yet? - Uncle Thomas

I'm on my why. Why?

Be safe. We are reaching soon. - Uncle T.

Alright. Please be safe, too.

I hold onto my phone securely, praying that everything will run smoothly. This is making me nervous and scared. Leaving San Francisco to an unknown place with Monique under my care, can I really do it? My head spins suddenly at the thoughts flooding in my head. Things happen so fast and the next thing I know, I have arrived at the place where I have to take over Monique.

"Kid!" Uncle Thomas calls out upon seeing me across the huge hall as I drag my luggage. I fasten my pace with my heartbeat racing fast as I'm nearing the three people whom I am thankful for.

"Ellie," a sad Violet greets me and I pat her head. "please take care of my sister and come back soon." She says, looking down.

"I will. I hope things will end quickly so we can come back soon." She smiles after I pull myself from her embrace.

"Kids, your tickets. Did you bring your passport?" He asks and I nod. "Good. Your plane is going to take off soon. Now go. Be careful though, Monique is still weak."

They help me with whatever necessary things I have to do at the airport and finally, Violet passes Monique to me. I wrap my arm around her waist while holding on to our documents with the other. "Thank you so much. We are...we are leaving now." I say.

"I'll miss you." Violet says, giving Monique a hug for the last time before we go into the departure hall.

"I'll miss you too, Violet. Take care of yourself and be good, alright?" Violet nods, fighting back the tears in her eyes but to no avail when we finally enter the hall.

I squeeze Monique's hand a bit tighter, my heart pounding with fear and excitement. "Do you really want to do this?" I ask her as we walk with people.

"As long as I am with you." It is a weak reply. I know she's as scared as I am right now, but we're here now. Losing her is a lot scarier. I give her a smile and nod.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.6K 462 19
You are a normal first year in highschool, a loner that likes anime, you don't really have any connections with people in your school, but when one g...
393 72 25
Girlxgirl You shouldn't judge a person based on what u see and believe. They act this way or that way and they have reasons for it. So here's is the...
3M 78.8K 38
I was awakened by a buzz, but I don't want to get up, instead I lay still on my bed and about to dream again when I heard a THUD, I flinched at the s...
936K 26.6K 35
Two girls living ordinary lives, became friends and started falling for each other. But with challenges coming their way, will they risk taking a cha...