Experiment Zero

By dangeroustoken

There's more out there than you think. Ashley Cartwright works on a secluded island for her father as a... More

1. New Arrival
2. Confrontation
3. Into the Lion Den
4. Man Child
5. Patient Zero
6. Eat My Dust
7. Woah, Superman
8. Anger On A New Level
9. A Goodbye Gone Wrong
10. Sleepover
Character Interveiw
11. Midnight Scare
12. Queen Of Tasers
13. Caught Sylvia-Handed
14. I Hate Dresses
15. Crashing The Party
16. A Water Bottle, Anyone?
17. Explanations And Spilt Coffee
19. Anger That's Not My Own
20. A Syringe Too Many
21. A Very Stupid Plan
5k Views!
22. A Hindrance And A Tragic Departure
23. A Strange Stranger
24. Sleeping Assassin
25. Sudden Escape
10k Views!!!!
Bonus Character Interview
26. The Wildside
27. Merchant Sons and Fainting
50k views!!!!!!!
28. Darklings, Death, and Drinks
29. Lager
30. Highclere, The Furnace House
31. Queen of Whips
32. A Dark Lightling
33. Dark Pasts and Zero's Confession
34. Interruptions and Staring Contests
35. Peter And The Big Reveal
36. The Big Reveal Continues....And Oh Yeah There's Peter
200k Views Lager's POV
37. And The Plot Developes
Halloween Bonus!
38. My Annoying Shadow
39. Let's Make A Trade
Christmas With A Cripple
Christmas Bonus
40. The Ultimate Showdown
41. The Core
42. A Resolution?
43. Goodbye For Now
Q And A
Bonus Character Interview 2
Bonus Character Interview 3
Epilogue/ Different Character P.O.V.
Sequel

18. Fartherly Issues

68.8K 2.9K 400
By dangeroustoken

        I lay frozen, on my stomach, my eyes locked with my dad's.

       Zero keeps letting this weird noise sound from his chest. Is he actually growling?  That is not helping at all.

     I watch helplessly as my dad finally shakes out of his shock and storms over to the door, leaving the spilled coffee behind. 

I wince as he furiously heaves the huge door open and stands in the doorway, key card gripped in his fist.

     "Hey, Dad....." I trail off, smiling sheepishly from where I lay. Zero is now standing in front of me, the dummy, trying to protect me from my own father.  

         "Ashley Ann Cartwright .  What is going on?" He says, peering around Zero to pin me with a stern glare. 

     "Um, what does it look like?" I ask, wanting to be sure he actually heard something and I'm not just jumping to conclusions.

Maybe I should have worded it differently though, because he takes my question as heavy sass and sarcasm, his frown deepening into the 'you-are-so-grounded' look.

       "It looks like you and Zero were having a lovely conversation. So he could talk all along....and you kept this information hidden. Do you know what this little detail could do for this experiment?"

Uh oh, this is very bad. He's already thinking about the experiment. Before he thinks about all the benefits I need to explain to him how we shouldn't let this get out. I ahev to make him listen to me, for Zero's sake.

      I struggle to sit up and Zero immediately is at my side, helping me. "Okay, Dad. I'm going to explain, and all I ask is that you hear me out, please?"

        My father just clenches his jaw, waiting. I begin to tell my story, about Sylvia and the first time Zero snuck in and told me about Dalton. My dad had a short episode when I told him that part of Zero sneaking into my window, and I had to let him take a little breather again before continuing.

 I tell him all I know about Dalton and the race that lives there. His eyes seem to widen when I tell him about Sylvia and what really happened the night of the party. When I finish, silence descends, and I'm worried I described it in a confusing way

       "That's a lot to take in, Ashley. Now whether I beleive you or not is still up for determination, but I still don't see why you couldn't have told me this sooner."

         "Because," I sigh. "If Mrs. Clark knew Zero could talk, she wouldn't be getting on his good side. She would just resort to torture. You've seen how...intense Mrs. Clark can get when it comes to this experiment, we can't let her find out."

       "I could lose my job for withholding this information from Braun corp." Dad stresses, running a hand through his hair that seems to have thinned more these past few weeks. "I would still like some piece of evidence that what you're all saying is the truth."

  I look at Zero and he nods.

"It's the truth." Zero speaks up in a low voice, making my dad's eyes widen noticeably. he may have heard Zero speak through the head phones, but hearing it again and knowing now it's not some figment of his imagiantion must be a real shock.

   "Well that settles you can talk. So let me get this straight." He says, staring at Zero. "You're a Kinling? A species with power over......elements?"

     "Kinling High Commander." Zero corrects. "And we have minor elemental powers. It gives us a helpful advantage when surviving on Dalton."

    My dad stares at Zero for a few seconds, probably still absorbing the fact that Zero can speak, and his daughter is not lying.

      "What do you mean 'surviving' on Dalton'?" My dad questions.

       "Dalton is very different from your lands. There are many dangers that lurk there, which is also a big part of why all your teams have not made it back."

         I flinch and quickly glance at my dad, watching a flash of pain appear in his eyes and vanish the next second. The teams going out are a touchy subject, since Mom was on one of them. Time for a subject change.

        "Dad, you have to listen. You can't tell anyone you know. Sylvia will kill you, and Zero will be in danger."

       "Well what am I supposed to do? Pretend everything is normal? How can I, when my daughter nearly died a few days ago?"

      "I'm alive." I argue, and he sends me a look. "I'm sorry for keeping this from you, but now you see why I had too. Just do this for me, and you won't even have to buy me any more birthday presents for as long as I live."

     My dad stares at me for a second, before a small smile twitches his lips up. "Oh really?"

     "Yep, and if we have to bargain, I'll even make it to where you don't have to get me presents for my birthday and Christmas."

     "Oh, what a deal!" Dad replies, voice laced with heavy sarcasm, making me laugh. I miss my usual banter with dad.

 We somber up, and dad turns to Zero. "I'll keep your secret, but I don't want Ashley in anymore danger. If she dies, I'll come down here and throw you to whatever monsters lurk in Dalton."

    My eyes widen at my dad making the threat, and I let out a nervous chuckle. Zero just levels a gaze at my father, fully in serious mode. "I will protect your daughter, you have my word."

     I can't keep the big smile off my face. It's such a relief to have my dad in the circle now instead of out of it. It feels like a huge weight being lifted off my shoulders. Still, there's plenty more pounds to hold me down than that. I shift uncomfortably, trying to redirect my focus.

"Uh, uh, uh, don't think you're off the hook yet." My dad pipes up again, and I freeze, worry creeping in. "I am the head of this experiment, and now I'm finally taking a step in the direction of where I've been trying to get this whole time. In exchange for keeping your secret, I expect you to keep giving Ashley information about Dalton, who will then give that information to me."

I look at Zero, anxioous that this might upset him, but he seems entirely cool about it, and nods. "You have my cooperation."

     "I think it's time to go, say goodbye to Zero, Ashley." Dad says with a nod back at him, saving everyone from the awkward silence that would no doubt follow that heavy conversation.

     I start to protest, but shut my mouth at my dad's unhappy expression. He's obviously not happy about withholding this information to himself, what mom and him worked their whole lives for even if he is getting some more information from it.

 I shouldn't push him further. Zero helps me into the wheelchair, muttering under his breath. He's obviously not happy with me leaving so soon.

     "See you later." I call over my shoulder as dad wheels us out of the room, closing the door securely behind us.

     Is it later, now? Zero's  voice echoes inside my head, making me jump. Dad looks down at me curiously but I wave him off.

     Stop that. Get out of my head.  I think really hard back.

   I swear I can hear grumbling on the other end of the connection. I really need to ask Zero how to block the connection the next time I see him...if that's even possible. I really hope it is.

    Get better soon. Maybe I can sneak out again and nurse you. His voice echoes back inside my head, and I'm blown away that Zero can say something so cheesy.

Go away!  I shout inside my head, telling myself over and over again not to blush over something as miniscule as that.

    The connection goes silent. I think he got the hint. Which reminds me....

     "Dad, there's something I forgot to tell you." I say after taking a deep breath. We are now in the elevator, and my dad pushes the up button while eyeing me suspiciously.

    "I have this sort of connection with Zero. I don't understand it, but it somehow allows Zero to hear my thoughts and speak inside my head. I think it's the exact same connection Mrs. Clark found in my x-Ray a while back." I wince when I realize for myself just how weird that sounds. Oh well, I've already told him all the crazy stuff, what's wrong with adding one more thing to the list?

    My dad just stays quiet, and I play with my fingers in my lap. I've never seen my dad look so.....so strange. I don't know how else to describe him. At least he's not freaking out like I expected him to.

     "I want a head examination done immediately." He says, pulling out his phone and tapping at it.

     "W-What?" I stutter. Whatever I had been expecting to come out of his mouth, it hadn't been that.

      My dad holds the phone up to his ear, his face all business. "Ready the x-rays. No, this is important. I don't care if you're on your lunch break! Then get another scientist to do it! Also, I want copies of Ashley Cartwright's last x-rays. You don't know where they are? Contact Mrs. Clark!"

     I sit there, stunned at what I'm hearing. X-rays? Mrs. Clark? This can't be good. He hangs up as the elevator doors open, looking a little frustrated. Instead of going out into the hallway, he presses the up button again, and the doors slide shut.

     "Dad! What are you doing?" He finally looks down at me when I hiss those words.

      "It's for your safety. If what you say is true this is dfenitely soemthing we need to investigate more into. What if it's dangerous? Who knows how deep the bond's already it's his claws into you."

    My mouth gasps open as I start at him. Say what?

    "The X-ray is too see how far the connection has traveled through your body. We might need to do a full body scan. "

     "But- but you said you would keep the information a secret!" I protest, fear starting to creep into me. Is he betraying me?

     "Don't worry, I'm not telling anyone, but we should have had these examinations the minute we found out about the connection you share with Zero. What was Mrs. Clark thinking?"

     "What's so wrong with having a connection?" I ask, voice quivering slightly at the thought of what's about to come.

     He looks down at me, shaking his head. "I don't know Ashley, and in a Scientist's world, that is a very dangerous thing."

    Hello, readers! So sorry for the really, really, really late update! It's also  a short chapter, which I'm also sad about. Looks like all the beans, coffee, andddd tea have been spilled. At least Mrs. Clark hasn't found any spilled tea yet. Vote, comment, and balance a water bottle on your head cause why not? Even though it seems like I've neglected this book lately, I've always loved you guys! Lots of love,

Dangeroustoken

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

dot. By Mika

Mystery / Thriller

22.1K 778 55
Dot, a bat-human hybrid, has no memories of freedom. He knows only disinfectant, drugs and pain; the ones that own him care not about his wellbeing...
907K 23.2K 42
After an unfortunate turn of events due to which Avery Marshall is forced to marry the ruthless and notorious billionaire Hayden Knight, she hopes w...
134K 5.2K 34
Kidnapped by members of Mercile Industries, the pharmaceutical company that was shut down six years ago for their illegal experiments on New Species...
475 81 38
(This is a revised version) Disasters struck the earth causing human kind to go into panic. Families were separated, people were killed and only th...