The Lost Princess ( The Compu...

By asatabardo

Joshua turn to get a closer view of, his stepmother? Can he even call her that she was younger than him! She... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Epilogue

Chapter 52

17K 724 12
By asatabardo

How could one man be so gorgeous? Samantha questioned herself as Joshua entered the sumptuous inn. Samantha had been informed of Joshua's errands, the following night, when a footman came to deliver the letter in David's absence. The first trip was at Mr Winks gentleman shop to have his fittings for a new suit, for the upcoming ball, then at the library to collect a few books and finally Mrs Linon's inn to collect some monthly wages and pay tenant's. Of course she had no business attending the first two, that's why she found herself sitting by a window in the inn awaiting his arrival.

"Thank you" she smiled, at the maid who was helping her clean the tea she spilled upon witnessing Joshua across the street. No one could have prepared her for this, gone was the long waves of hair that she always felt looks so handsome on him. Now, she had a clear view of beautiful ears, a long graceful neck she wished to wrapped her arms around. A face made for a god was now on display for all to see.

Samantha give herself a mental shake and shifted with discomfort, you should be ashamed of yourself! She was too be the one lady that shouldn't be affected by his appearance but here she was sitting drooling over the man like all the other ladies in the inn. Tearing her eyes from him was difficult, she stared at her fingers took a deep breathe and rose to her feet, it was time to put aside her foolish behavior and execute her plans.

Samantha was quickly making her way over to where Joshua stood, conversing with the inn keeper, who was as much affected by his presence than Samantha had been, when she was cut off by a fiery red head.

The insolent lady had almost tripped her over, causing Samantha to slightly stumbled. Samantha glared at the red head's back, who didn't give her a second glance. Her eyes steady on her target. She immediately interrupted the conversation between the innkeeper and Joshua, one elegant hand stretched out for Joshua to took. She introduced herself.

Samantha had never saw such a skeleton looking hand in her life. Was England going through famine? Samantha pursed her lips, she wasn't going to be tossed aside by the chit. She had forgotten how desperate these ladies were.

***

"Lady Cherry Jackson, daughter of baron Westfield" Joshua's sexy, tantalizing mouth quirked at up at the lady. He admired all the attention, these ladies had been giving him. Finding a bride was only a matter of selection but he would not be so haste. He planted a kiss on the back of her hand. A blushed crept to her face and he couldn't tell which was more rosy her hair or her cheeks.

"Joshua Fisher.....I supposed you already knew that--"

"Of course I do Lord Fisher, everyone knows who you are here in Wessex," She said as a matter of fact. " I heard you would be hosting a ball in two weeks time, is this true? " Her green eyes held his as she eagerly awaited the answer.

Lady Jackson had been anticipating this opportunity for a long time, ever since she came back from the continent. She was a Baron's daughter, not much title and wealth their, hearing about the Duke's son quest of finding a bride. She had swoon at the thought, of course she didn't know how he had looked at the time, not that it had mattered. It had all came to a fascinating shock when, she inquired about the handsome devil that entered the inn.

"Yes it is indeed true, Lady Jackson" his eyebrows creased when she ducked her head. " is anything wrong Lady Jackson?"

She shook her head and looked up at him.

"You can tell me" Joshua coax, with a smiled.

Lady Jackson bit her lips and looked everywhere but him. " It has always been a dream of mines to attend a Fisher's ball, " she sighed here," being an baron daughter's who don't care for such social events, we never got invited to any balls."

Joshua smiled. "A trivial matter Lady Jackson. I'll make sure an invitation is send to your family by tomorrow"

"You're very kind Lord Fisher, I supposed you'll save a dance for me as well?" She fluttered her long lashes.

Joshua did not got the chance to answer. A lady collided with him, nudging him in the shoulders. Books pooled around his feet and he caught the lady around her waist before she joined them.

Samantha gasped but it wasn't from the books she had bribe one of the residence in the inn to borrow. " Lady are you alright? You need to be more careful. " Samantha quickly stepped out of his embraced and turned to meet him. Her face flushed with embarrassment. She lowered her head, staring at her entwined fingers.

"I'm sorry sir" she did a clumsy curtsy and bend hastily to collect her books off the floor. She bit her lips suppressing a smile when she notice she wasn't alone.

"You read politics?" Samantha cringed at the topics of the books. She didn't know the first thing about politics or....anatomy? she took a peak at the book in her hands. What on earth did she got herself into? Little Miss Veronica was quite the bookworm. She took a quick glance at the young lady with spectacles two tables across from her previous. The little miss only shrugged her shoulders, giving her a I tried to warn you look.

" I'm sorry, I know it's not the sort of thing ladies read--" She swallowed ,hoping this would not make him lose interest in her. Gentlemen do not like when ladies get involved in there line of interest.

"It's so unladylike for a woman to be reading such books" The red head interposed as Joshua helped Samantha to her feet. Samantha rolled her eyes, she had forget about her presence. " I rather have a relaxing walk in the country " she turned to Joshua. " Don't you like walks Lord Fisher? "

Joshua removed his eyes from Samantha's. " I do Lady Jackson" She give Samantha a sly smirk, who resisted the urged to roll her eyes, once again.

" But I'm very fond of politics"

Both heads turned to stare at Joshua. "You are?" They said in unison.

"Yes, I believe everyone should have some form of knowledge about their country's political information since it affects us all" Samantha mashed her lips together, this was turning out better than she hoped and it brought her great amusement that she was agitating the red head. " My cousin, had loan one of his books to me a year ago, I doubt he remembered I still had it. I could give it to you to read, if you like?"

"Your cousin! The king!" Lady Jackson's eyes widen like a saucer or a shiny gold coin Samantha thought, she could almost hear the coins rattling around in that empty red head's brain.

"Indeed" was his replied.

" I'm ready now..." Samantha tried her best to not show her surprised when the lady she had borrowed the books from snaked her arms around hers with an ease of acquaintance. What the hell was she doing! " my pleasure to meet you Lord Fisher, I was not very far when I heard, you offering my friend a copy of one of the king's books. We would be delighted to read through those pages, wouldn't we ?" She turned giving Samantha a smile, that was both sweet and threatening.

" Of course, " she clenched her teeth. " I was just about to tell Lord Fisher thank you for his generous offer"

"Please call me Joshua, lady....?" He looked at both ladies expecting them to give their names.

"What about me? "Lady Jackson asked annoyed, that she no longer have all Of his attentions. " Do I have that same honor to call you by such name?"

"Please excuse us lor- Joshua" The lady smiled, pushing her spectacles back on her nose. " We are in quite a hurry " Before Joshua could protest, they were already advancing towards the exit.

" I thought they would never leave" He turned and rose his eyebrows at Lady Jackson.

Samantha allowed herself to leave the inn with the stranger as soon as they were outside, she yanked her hand away from the lady. " What the bloody hell was that all about!" her outburst caused a few by passers to stare and she grabbed the girl's arm pulling her in a secluded area beside the inn. " you have ruin everything! I paid you didn't I !" She threw the books on the ground. " here's your stupid books!" She closed her eyes and ran her hands through her blond curls. This was bad! She opened her eyes noticing the calm expression on the Lady's face.

" You are overreacting, you know that," She pushed dark curls that was to short to be held in her bun behind her ears. " I merely did you a favor I got you out of their, now you can have some alone time with the Duke's son without the desperate red head" She folded her arms. " you should be thanking me"

This Lady was absurd. " I guess the cure for stupidity could not be found in one of your books " this caused her eyebrows to creased. " I didn't even - we didn't even got the chance to introduced ourselves to the him because of your insolent behavior. What exactly do you want?" She sighed, throwing her hands in the air. " more money?"

" The book he is going to lend you"

"What?"

" The Duke mentioned a book on political information from the king. I panic thinking that you would turned the offer down. I couldn't let that happened." She shrugged. " I'm Veronica Castlewood by the way"

Castlewood? Where had she heard that name before? Samantha thought, narrowing her eyes at the Lady. " Samantha Wavery. You really love politics to be this desperate, what a bored. "She snorted.

" So you'll collect the book and give it to me?"

Samantha swept her hands over her face. The faster she got rid of this lady, the better. " Yes" A girlish squeal escaped Veronica. " I'll get you the stupid book, if your insolent behavior didn't scare him away"

"Thank you" the hug she give Samantha was so quick, it was over before she had a chance to blink. " I just knew we would be best of friends and don't worry he still have some of my books in his hands. My knowledge of male species may not be vast but I'm sure he would be seeking you out to return them" She winked and scooped down to pick up her books. Samantha felt a bit of resentment for dumping the books on the ground like that although It was better than punching the lady's face.

" See you around Samantha " Veronica smiled, hugging her books against her brown gown, that fitted her with perfection. She ran across the street, Samantha placed her hands on her hips.

Everyone seems to want her assistance even to acquire a dam book! Why did she want that book so desperately? A book that's in the King's position unaware to the public must have very vital information. She had learn to never trust another human again and Veronica was no exception.

Best friends? She didn't even know the meaning of the words.

***

" Why the hurry Cousin? " The Duke halted in his steps and turned to glare at his cousin. " Surprised to see me, I see" he smirked, handing his cane to the footman who was there to assist him in the coach. " Please might I have a word" the Duke's hands clenched and release around the parcel tucked under his shoulder.

Joshua had left him at the gentleman's shop to visit the inn on an errand. It was getting very late and when he didn't returned Lord fisher slightly panic. Who was he conversing with? Did they tell him anything? What if he ran away? The last person he need to see right now was the admiral, adding to his dismay.

"Very well" he nodded," make it quick"

"Get in" the admiral commanded, now seated in his coach. Lord Fisher did not liked to be ordered. It took a moment for him to adhere to his cousin. " I'm surprised you haven't tie that young man on a leash yet, you're exhausting yourself by the pace your traveling " he chuckled, leaning back in his red velvet seat.

" Stop wasting my time and tell me what you want"

The admiral sobbed up immediately. " Did you visit the king recently? "

"Not since his birthday last year" He leaned forward, staring at the admiral's stern expression. " Why?"

" The King's in danger, someone's trying to dethroned him. We don't know who or why. He believes it's an inside job. The king doesn't want to sound any alarm but he's very cautious " The admiral frowned at the Duke, lost in his thoughts. " you don't seem surprised "

" I'm just recalling an event at the party last year, the King's brother in-law had taken ill that same night " He looked up at his cousin. " I believed he was poison, I haven't seen him since after that. He's dead"

"What?" His eyes narrowed. " that's absurd, I spoke to him a forth night ago!"

"In person?"

The admiral shook his head " Through letters "

"What did he want?"

"An audience"

"Considering you're here speaking to me now, I'll say you haven't met him and what ever you do, don't" His eyes held the admiral's shocked ones for a moment before he nodded with understanding. " I might need someone to play checkers with in our last days"

"Are you trying to convince me not to go or encourage me?" He smirked.

"Which ever one is working" The Duke's expression grew serious. " I need to share something very confidential with you, visit me as soon as you could. "

" Why don't we make it an ball affair? I heard your hosting a ball" he chuckled. " the new Joshua had really soften you, cousin or should I called you puppet master?"

"This conversation is over Admiral" he Climb out of the coach and turned to take one last view of his cousin. " if you make an appearance at the ball do remember to keep your opinions to yourself. " the admiral used his cane to signal the driver to move.

Across the street he spot Joshua's lean figure handling a book to a blond hair lady even with his hair absent and back facing him the admiral knew it was him. Poor boy didn't asked to have a father like the Duke. He sighed and leaned back in his seat, getting comfortable for the long journey ahead.

***
Hey my lovely readers....hope you like the chapter and don't worry to much about the new character or the dialogue with the duke and his cousin. It's not really relevant, at least not for this book 😏

P.S. I kept trying to dedicate chapters but it's not working :(
Hopefully when it does I will!!

***
Don't forget to vote and comment
Thank you :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 7K 29
For the coming of the prince (Alexander), new maid servants were employed at the palace and Rebecca happened to be one of them. What happens when Ale...
591K 34.3K 36
{WATTYS 2020 WINNER} {FEATURED BOOK} Paris, 1663. 500 girls selected by King Louis XIV embark on a journey across the seas from their homeland. Each...
4.2K 604 26
At twenty-four, Mason Chamberlain had it all. When scandal leaves him with a broken heart, not much could make him believe in love again...until the...
10.9K 3.2K 49
Oli's POV : Why am i constantly thinking about him. I closed my eyes fighting the urge to think about his eyes when an image of him smiling ran throu...