The Hope of Demise(KOTLC fanf...

By HiddenSecrets55

Book one: Destiny of the Vengeful Book two: The Lost Moonlark Book three: The Hope of the Demise More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirtren
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Four

1.5K 29 34
By HiddenSecrets55

Unedited.

"So have you kissed her yet?" Biana asked Fitz, as he styled his hair. "Kissed who?" Fitz asked, even though he knew exactly who his sister was talking about.

"Not this again." Biana grumbled. "Sophie Foster. Your cognate partner." She said. "Why would I kiss my cognate partner?" Fitz asked, trying to hide his smug smile, as Biana's eyes sparked with frustration. "Because you like her. You said so yourself, and you even confessed....did you get rejected?" Biana asked. Fitz looked away from the mirror and looked at his sister. "Do I look like I got rejected?" He deadpanned. Biana smirked, "Well you sure don't look like you were accepted." She said. Fitz turned away and went back to raking his fingers through his hair.

"So you got rejected?" Biana persisted. "What are you even doing in my room?" Fitz asked glaring at his sister through the mirror. "You did!" Biana exclaimed triumphantly. Fitz rolled his eyes. "'No, I didn't." Biana's smile grew wider. "So you have kissed her?" She asked. "No." Fitz lied. Biana huffed. "Why not?" She asked.

"Because." He said. "Because why?" Biana asked. "Because that's it." Fitz said, turning away from the mirror. "Oh, come on. I can just ask Sophie." Biana said. Fitz raised an eyebrow as he pushed down the smile that came at the sound of Sophie's name. "You think she'd answer, you?" Fitz gave his sister an unimpressed look. Biana sighed. "Alright fine. Now at least tell me this." She said. Fitz sat on his bed and lifted one boot. Looking up at Biana, he motioned for her to go on. "Do you guys plan on dating?" She asked. Fitz looked away from the imploring eyes, and pushed his foot in the boot. "Now why would we date, if we already know everything there is to know about each other?" Fitz asked. Biana grumbled under her breath. Fitz let put a small breath of relief, having dodged the question. Even though of felt like confusion and uncertainty was sinking into his stomach.

Would Sophie want to date when the time came? When would that time come? Fitz shook his head. Time. He reminded himself. Sophie needed time and he'd give however long she needed. Fitz quickly put on his other boot and stood. "So you didn't get rejected but you didn't get accepted either." Biana said, trailing after her brother, out of his room. Fitz didn't answer as he walked down the hall. "You and Sophie don't act like a couple." Fitz barked out a laugh. "That is seriously coming from you?" He asked turning to his sister. She and Dex could hardly hold hands without blushing. Biana knew it too, her face burned. "Be quiet. At least we are open about it." She said. "You and Sophie, won't even talk about relationships, or what's going on between you two." Biana said.

Fitz turned away and continued towards his dad's office. "That because it's no one's business." He said, "And we do talk about relationships, among a lot of other things." Fitz said. "Well you both like each other right?" Fitz glared sat his sister, before sighing. "Alright I'll make a deal with you." He said. Biana perked up immediately. "You want me and Sophie to act, more like a couple right?" He asked. Biana nodded slowly. "Sophie isn't like that, and I'll prove it to you." Fitz said. Biana raised an eyebrow, "Tonight I'll act like a doting boyfriend and whatever. Watch Sophie's reaction. She probably won't even notice, and once you realize that, you drop this subject and matter. Got it?" He asked.

Biana nodded. "Got it." Fitz breathed a sigh of relief, secretly he was glad he had a reason to be near Sophie. "Now go...go hail Dex or something." He said as he knocked on Alden's office door. Biana rolled her eyes. "Whatever." She said, and strode away. "Come in." Alden called. Fitz walked in. Being sure there was only room enough for him to slip through, in case Biana tried sneaking in, hr closed the door. "Hey, Dad." Fitz said as he walked in the office. Alden looked up from his paper work. "Hey, you said you wanted to talk to me earlier." Alden said, setting the papers aside, he gave his son, his full attention.

"Yeah, I did." Fitz said as he sat down. Staring at his Dad, Fitz found himself wondering just how 'dinner' would make up for what they did to Sophie. Fitz crossed his arms, carefully across his chest. "Sophie is still hurt, and angry." He said. Alden nodded. "I know. I don't expect her to forgive us....me right away. I know I hurt her, and right noe I can be thankful she is willing to still face me." Alden said. "How am I supposed to make it up to her, Dad?" Alden rubbed a hand over his face. "Sophie is a extraordinary girl, which makes it hard to understand her. The best we can do, is be more considerate of how she feels, and wait until an opportunity presents itself." Alden said.

"That doesn't feel right." Fitz said. "I suppose it isn't, but what else are we supposed to do?" Alden asked. Fitz opened his mouth before closing it. What could he do? A gift wouldn't make up for what any of them had done. So what was he supposed to do?

"You don't have any idea, as to what we can do?" Fitz asked. "You're her cognate partner. Your guess is twice as good as mine." Alden said. That was just it, Fitz didn't know what Sophie would consider a peace offering. Fitz shook the thought aside, he also had other problems. "There is something else?" Alden asked, his eyebrow raising. Fitz nodded, he was old enough to talk with his Dad about this stuff, not to mention he had already turned in his matchmaking packet. Still embarrassment churned his stomach. "Mom, ignored your advances for a while right?" He asked. Alden sat back in his chair, observing his son. "She did." He agreed, resisting the urge to tease Fitz.

"So...it's normal?" Fitz asked. "To get turned down." He clarified quickly. Alden folded his hands, as he rested His elbowed on the arms of his chair. "I think it is." Alden said. "Rushing into something so serious is a bad idea, but taking to long can be just as bad. Women like to play games just as much as men, even though the game is the same they play by different rules." Alden said, "It's not a game Dad." Fitz said. "I won't play around and I certainly won't waste my time on something if I wasn't serious about it. You know that." Something in Alden's face relaxed. "Few people your age know that Fitz." Alden said. "They see love as a game. Love isn't a game, far from it. I'm glad you understand that."

Fitz waited for his answer, that Alden was dragging out. "Everyone is scared to get hurt, I think it is normal to get turned down, just so long as you aren't forcing your affections on her, I'm sure it's normal." Alden said. Fitz's lips sealed shut. He had forcefully kissed Sophie, he didn't regret the kiss, he regretted forcing it on her. "Fitz." Alden said seriously. "You aren't forcing affection on her, are you?" He asked, his eyes darkening with something close to anger. Fitz shook his head, "Of course not." He lied. He didn't like lying but he wasn't about to tell his Dad he had kissed Sophie. "Well than. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about." Alden said.

"Okay." Fitz said still troubled. Fitz left Alden's office, and found himself going to his mother's office. Della was reading, and looked up as Fitz entered her office. "Well...I certainly see a young man needing some advice. Della said, untucking her feet from under her and setting her book aside. She smoothed out her dress. Fitz sat next to her before laying his head in her lap. "What's wrong?" Della asked, stroking her hand through his hair. Fitz closed his eyes. "Why'd you turn Dad down?" He asked. Della laughed lightly. "I see. Girl problems." She said. "Well I turned him down because...well I'm not sure why. I was young, and I wanted to see just how many times I rejected him till he gave up." Della said.

"Did you take him seriously?" Fitz asked. "Of course not." Della laughed. "But when Alina came in the picture I realized just how much I did like you Dad. How much I enjoyed his attention and how he kept trying no matter what." Della patter Fitz's shoulder as he leaned over staring at the carpet, his fingers brushing the soft fabric. "So Dad made you jealous?" Fitz asked. "I guess he did. I wouldn't recommend you trying it. Sophie is hurt enough as it is." Fitz sighed. It seemed like everyone realized how much he liked Sophie, everyone except her. He was done trying to deny it. "Do you think I have a chance with Sophie?" He asked. His heart thudding, it was the first time he had actually mentioned her specifically.

"A chance? I thought you two were already together." Della said. Fitz shook his head. "She asked for time, and I've given her that...it's just that waiting can get so...so...ugh." He groaned. Della smiled down at her son who still loved back rubs and listening to her read out loud. Something he promised he'd never grow to old for. "Frustrating? Yes, I'm sure it is, but remember the longer the-"

"Waiting the sweeter it is." Fitz finished. "I've waited for months Mom." He complained. "And she...there really isn't any change. At all." He said resting his arms on his Mom's leg, as he stared at the pattered arm of the couch. His chin resting on his hands. Della's hand rubbed his back. "Has she at least given you any sign?" She asked. Fitz shrugged, kissing him was a sign right? "I guess. It's just confusing, first she's sweet and shy and then she is cold and angry, which wads my fault, but...I just don't get it."

"It's hard to understand new feelings, just give it a little more time." Della said. "That's what she keeps saying, and I don't even know if she's waiting for me like I am for her." Della's hand stopped rubbing soothing circled. "What?" She asked. Fitz sighed. "She's been hanging out with Wylie a lot, if that isn't enough, she canceled plans with somebody named 'Charlie' to come tonight."

"Well canceling plans, that means she likes you more than him right?" Della asked. "Why would she even have plans with him?" Fitz asked, as anger bubbled up. "Why don't you ask her?" Della asked. Fitz scoffed at the idea. Della rolled her eyes, and continued rubbing his back. "Communication is the most important thing in any relationship. Talking to each other and understanding how each other feel is always the most important." Della said. "Why can't she just talk to me?" Fitz asked. "Because we all pushed her opinions aside. We didn't give thought to what she said, unless it was about keeping us safe." Della said sadly. "She's been talking the whole time, and we ignored her, so she finally gave up." Della continued.

"But why does she choose, the moment we start listening, to be silent?" Fitz asked. "She's hurt Fitz. Cold silence is what she is falling back on. She already spike her piece and we we rent listening, so she's not going to repeat herself." Della said. Fitz sighed. "I've waited months, and she hardly even notices what I'm going through."

"Have you noticed what she is going through?" Della asked. "Maybe that mistake is on both of you, maybe that's what's stopping you both from taking the next step in life. You both are lost in your own worlds, when you're each a key piece in each other's lives. Start paying attention more, speak you mind, explain to her how you feel, and maybe she'll realize the same. You both need to start looking in side. You need to focus on each other instead of the outside world." Fitz nodded. "You're right." Della smiled and patted his shoulder. "I know I am." She said soothingly. "Now please get off my legs they are starting to fall asleep." Fitz laughed but rolled off her lap and landed on the floor with a thump! As the chimes rang through Everglen.

"I got it!" Biana called her footsteps pounding past the office, and down the stairs. Fitz sat up suddenly. Sophie was here! He found himself trying to fight a smile, Della laughed at him and his fool worthy smile. He shook it away frowned so he wouldn't smile. Della stood up and helped him to his feet. "Come on. Let's go say hi, to your girlfriend." She said. "She's not my-"

"But she will be right?" Della asked shooting him a wink. Fitz smiled. Sophie Foster his girlfriend? He liked the sound of that. Della slipped her arm through Fitz's and they strolled down the hall, even though Fitz wanted nothing more than to run down stairs and sweep Sophie off her feet in a hug. He could hear Biana and Sophie talking. "What happened to you?" Biana asked. "Bad day." Sophie answered, which sounded like pain was laced with it. "Sorry to say this, but clearly!" Biana said. "Biana, leave her alone." Fitz said as his walked downstairs. Sophie looked magnificent. With a dark red tunic, and dark pants. Her hair was down, but when she looked up, Fitz's heart leaped in his throat. "What happened are you okay?" He asked rushing down the last few steps to Sophie.

Sophie stepped back before he could reach her. "I'm fine. Elwin said they should go away in a few minutes." Sophie said referring to the bright red welts, across her face, that made their way from her scalp, down her eye, and to her chin, Fitz could see red welts peeking out of the collar of her shirt, as they reached her neck. "Are you in pain?" Della asked reaching the bottom steps. Sophie shrugged, "I've had worse." She said, brushing a strand of hair out of her face. "That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt." Della said. Sophie gave a tight smile. "I'm okay." She said, as she let Biana take her cloak. "What happened?" Fitz asked. Sophie gave a scoff of disgust. "Don't even ask." She said. "Okay." Fitz said cheerfully. Though he knew Sophie would tell him, lasted he wondered why she wouldn't tell him now.

"Well the others should be here soon, right?" Della asked. Biana nodded, and Sophie straightened up. "Who is all coming?" She asked. "Just the normal group." Biana said. "Well I'll see about dinner." Della said, and swept away. Sophie looked frustrated as another piece of hair fell in her eyes. Fitz brushed it out of her eyes, and tucked it behind her ear. "Bad Dog got out control again." Sophie said, tugging at the collar of her tunic slightly, as if it were burning her injuries. "Myth tried fighting her, and I had to separate them." She said. "Are they both okay?" Fitz asked. Sophie nodded. "Both are sedated." She said, as she allowed Fitz's to lead her to the sitting room.

Fitz's heart was still pounding, from touching her...from being close to her. "Elwin had the scare of his life. Again." Sophie said as she sat down. "I bet Fitz did too." Biana said. Fitz shot his sister a glare before it softened. "I did." He said looking back at Sophie as he sat near her. Sophie looked away, as her neck turned pink. "There is no knowing what Sophie can get herself into." Fitz said, with a teasing smile, as he rested his arm on the back of the couch, behind Sophie. Biana was watching Sophie's reaction, but Sophie didn't move. She didn't lean back into Fitz's arm nor did she lean away. It made Fitz celebrate a small victory, and yet his heart sank, that she wasn't leaning in.

~

"So what are we having to eat?" Keefe asked. Fitz pulled out Sophie's chair. As she sat down Fitz noticed the others giving him strange looks. Sophie glanced up at him. Muttering a clipped 'thanks' he returned it with his own clipped 'welcome' before he sat down in his own chair. Biana looked ready to tear her hair out, and knock Sophie's and Fitz's head together.

Dex was glaring at Fitz, giving him the 'don't touch my cousin/best friend' look. Fitz shrugged it off, even though the day was perfect Sophie's signs were mixed. She didn't encourage him, but she certainly didn't turn him down. "Sozin." Alden said happily. "Tam, sweetie yours is cooked, how you like it." Della said, hugging Tam warmly before taking her own seat. Tam didn't look angry at being called 'sweetie' in fact it looked like he enjoyed the motherly love, he and Linh received from Della.

Fitz was sitting beside Sophie, and he noticed, Sophie sitting straighter. Her manners were perfect, and over all she seemed more graceful, somehow calm, despite the small welt still on her face that now looked like nothing more than cat scratches. Food was dished out chatter was picked up easily. With Dex explaining a new version of his sucker punches. Fitz scooted his plate just in sight of Sophie, and he folded the Sozin. Sophie nearly breathed a sigh of relief as she copied him. Fitz smiled as her folding was sloppy as ever. "Be quiet." She mumbled turning red. She was so cute, Fitz just wanted to hug her tightly, and tell her just how cute she was.

Silently, Fitz showed Sophie how to fold the Sozin, again and again, until the vegetable was gone off their plates. "You don't know how to fold Sozin?" Keefe asked, Sophie jumped and Fitz had realized the table had gone silent. Sophie's face went red. "I'm learning." She grumbled. Fitz looked up at his Dad who was smiling, his eyes twinkling. "Oh we see that." Dex said, shooting his dagger glare at Fitz.

Fitz smiled, "Weren't you guys talking about something?" Sophie asked. "We were, and when you didn't answer our question we realized you and Fitz were in your own bubble." Biana said. "What did you want to know?" Fitz asked. "Why Sophie's imparter keeps getting hailed by Charlie." Biana said. Sophie's head jerked up. "How did you kno-" as if on cue, Sophie's imparter buzzed on the side dresser. The name Charlie in clear sight. Sophie winced, jealousy bubbled up in Fitz's chest. Who was Charlie? Why was he hailing Sophie? And what the heck did he want? "How long has it been hailing?" Sophie asked wiping her fingers and mouth. "Twenty eight times in the past five minutes." Dex said, as Sophie's imparter buzzed again.

"Uh-oh, Sophie's got another Valin." Keefe smirked. Sophie shot him a look as she stood. Picking up her imparter, Sophie tapped in a message and waited. "Who do you think it is?" Biana asked giving Fitz a look that said 'do something idiot' Fitz shrugged and poked at the rest of his food. "Charlie isn't anyone to worry about." Sophie said staring at the message that came back. She set aside her imparter and sat back down. "Oh...?" Keefe asked. Sophie rolled her eyes. "He's Lady Gardenia's son." Fitz nearly spit out his drink. "That rat?" He asked. "Fitz!" Della sounded appalled at her son, but Keefe was nodding. "He's a rat." He agreed. Sophie rolled her eyes again, as she patted Fitz's back as he coughed.

"Lady Gardenia...it was a set up."

"She matched you?!" Fitz asked. "No!" Sophie sounded horrified, as she pulled her hand away. Fitz missed the cool calmness of it. "Wait...." Biana studied Sophie, through narrowed eyes. "She set you up with lessons didn't she?" She asked. Sophie nodded looking at her empty plate. "I have one more week and I'm finished." She said.  "What lessons?" Fitz asked his foot pressing against Sophie's. Sophie pressed back, "I'd like to know that to. Miss F." Keefe said. "It's nothing Fitz. I promise." Sophie transmitted before looking at Keefe. "And I'd like to know what the great gulon incident was. We don't always get what we want Keefe." She said. Fitz's heart galloped as, Sophie placed a comforting hand on his knee. There was the sign he had been looking for...that didn't stop the jealousy in his chest, but it did ease the knot.

(Fitz is so jealous.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

252K 3.8K 45
Sophie Foster is walking through New York when she is accosted by two strange teens and a giant black dog seemingly possessing the abilities of a Sha...
4.7K 68 17
Sophie Foster is in a toxic and abusive relationship with her current boyfriend, Steve. Sophie and her old friend and crush, Fitz Vacker bump into ea...
3.7K 54 16
Using a lot of content from the newer books so beware of any spoilers! I don't have a rigid plan for this so if you guys have any ideas lmk! They ar...
982 0 37
Sophie and Keefe ran away 20 years ago and when Fitz found they have to go back and defeat the Neverseen again. In the 20 years Sophie and Keefe wher...