Forever for Rose

By Shelby_Painter

When blood is involved, no one is safe. Book #3 in the Rachel Series More

Description
Cast list
Teasers❀🌹
Preface.
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Update!
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty One.
Chapter Twenty Two.
Chapter Twenty Three.
Chapter Twenty Four.
Chapter Twenty Five.
Chapter Twenty Six.
Chapter Twenty Seven.
Chapter Twenty Eight.
Chapter Twenty Nine.
Chapter Thirty.
Chapter Thirty One.
Chapter Thirty Three.
Chapter Thirty Four.
Chapter Thirty Five.
Chapter Thirty Six.
Chapter Thirty Seven.
Chapter Thirty Eight.
Chapter Thirty Nine.
Chapter Forty.
Chapter Forty One.
Chapter Forty Two.
Chapter Forty Three.
Chapter Forty Four.
Epilogue.
Even more!
The Necklace is now available!
SURPRISE!
If you love the Rachel series, please read

Chapter Thirty Two.

28.7K 1.7K 256
By Shelby_Painter

"Wake up, sleepy head."

My eye lids flitter open, in no big hurry after earlier events. I'm to blissfully happy to be bothered by the world right now, but the lure of seeing Dalton's face again makes me roll over and focus on him. He stands tall and gorgeous at the foot of the bed, but fully dressed, unlike me.

I frown at him, jutting out my bottom lip. "I like you better naked." I tell him.

He rolls his eyes and suppresses a laugh. I giggle anyway, quick little memories of last night running through my head, making me smile harder. The way he touched me, the way he kissed me, the way he whispered so sweetly. "Rose..." I hear his voice in my mind. "So perfect." He called me. "Beautiful." Just thinking of it makes my body get all hot again, a yearning for him building back up. Who knew that Mr. Cranky All The Time would be such an affectionate lover.

"Get your mind out of the gutter." He shakes his head at me, his hair still a little wet from the shower he must have taken. It glistens in the low lights in the room.

Yep, I definitely want him again.

I throw a wink his way. "Or you could join me and my dirty mind in the gutter." I whisper, pulling the blankets back slowly with a devious grin.

He moves in a flash, suddenly leaning down on the bed over me, his hands pulling up the blanket before I could pull it down any further and he tucks it up under my chin as he laughs and then plants a quick kiss to my lips, like it's the most normal thing in the world. "Don't tempt me." He shakes his head when I pout. "I'll have to crawl back into this bed with you and then we'll be even later."

"That's the plan." I giggle, trying to free myself from the covers but then his words register. "Wait, late?" I ask.

He nods once, truly looking disappointed as his eyes gaze down into mine. "Everyone is waiting on us." He informs me, but it sounds a lot like he's reminding himself of that fact too, not just me. "We need to go."

I raise one brow at him as he walks over to the bathroom to flip off the light switch then look back to me. "And you're really in such a hurry to go into a room full of my family and friends who I assume all know by now that I spent the night with you?"

His face falls, his eyes widening a bit. "I hadn't thought of that." He admits, then grins like a sexy devil. "Maybe I should let you distract me a while longer." He takes a step towards the bed but I shake my head.

"No, you're right." I say sitting up slowly and letting the blankets fall beneath my breast. I smile at him sweetly as I push the rest of the blankets away and stand. "I don't want to miss any of the plans."

I can feel his eyes following me around the room as I walk by him, pulling on the pieces of my clothing that I find scattered across the floor. He makes a noise deep in his throat, something like a cross between a laugh and a moan. "You're trouble aren't you?"

I give him a doe eyed and innocent look as I walk over to him, leaving my shirt unbuttoned, then I wrap my hands around the back of his neck and push up on my toes to kiss him hard. "Oh, you have no idea." I tell him, catching him looking down between us. He lets out a slow growl as I kiss him again, deeper this time, pressing my body against his.

"I'm learning." He whispers as he drops his mouth to my ear, sucking on the lobe and then kissing down my neck.

I pull away even though every nerve in my body tells me to stay locked in this room.

"We have to go." I remind him and he sighs into my neck, dropping his head to rest on my shoulder.

"Do you know what you're doing to me?" He ask then laughs. "Scratch that, of course you do."

I press my chest against his a little more. "I don't know what you're talking about." I shrug and he looks down at me, giving me a knowing smile. "Oh, you mean this?" I whisper, leaning forward to kiss him at the base of his neck and then up to the hollow under his ear.

"Yes," He says gruffly. "that."

I blink up at him. "I'll stop."

Without missing a beat. "I don't want you to."

I bite my lip and smile. "Good, because I was lying." I wink and his smile stretches across his face easily. It's still weird seeing a smile instead of a scowl, but it's a beautiful kind of weird. "I intend to do a lot more of that, but we really do need to go."

He nods once, his fingers trailing up my bare abdomen with a sigh. "We should." He agrees, then slowly pulls his hands away from my skin and buttons up my shirt for me. "Doesn't mean I like it though."

I tie up my hair in a ponytail and then we walk hand in hand up the hall to my parent's room. I reach for the door handle, but Dalton catches my hand just before, pulling me over to him. "One more." He smiles before kissing my lips, his hand gripping the nape of my neck. I nearly let out a moan before I catch myself when his tongue traces the line of my bottom lip. He's getting back at me for teasing him in the room, and he does not fight fair, but neither do I.

I pull back quickly. "You're awful brave for a guy who should know that my dad is waiting on the other side of this door." A look crosses his face, his eyes popping out a little before he actually backs away from me, leaving more than a foot of space between the two of us. "Chicken." I shake my head before opening the door and walking in, Dalton taking a full three second pause before following me.

Everyone is standing in the main room, all turning to look at us. My dad moves forward. "Rose, finally." He sighs, smiling at me, then his eyes trail to Dalton behind me to send him a barbed glare. "How are you feeling, good?" He asks when he turns back to me.

I nod once. "Fine." I tell him.

In the corner Malcom smirks. "I'll bet." He mutters under his breath, but everyone hears him. My face feels like someone has blasted it with a flame thrower. My blush burns hot and reaches from my face down to my neck and chest.

My mother, bless her, clears her throat to advert the attention off of me. "You're just in time." She smiles.

I scan the room quickly, finding Lance standing in the back with Victoria and Nathaniel with his eyes trained at the ground and his arms crossed over his chest. I get a little tinge of guilt when he won't look up. I should have waited and talked to him first before I crossed the line with Dalton, but...I just haven't had the time. I do hope we can still be friends though. He's always been a good one.

My dad pulls me over to sit with him on the couch. "So I double checked the journal." He tells me. "You were right, they don't specifically say that the doctor was killed, only that he was dealt with which could mean any number of things, including being turned for his crimes."

I nod, I didn't have any doubt. "I know it's him." I say to everyone. "He hates vampires, and himself so much that he's willing to bring on the end of the world if it means eradicating us. He's out for ultimate vengeance. Our only upper hand is that we know that the first step in his plan is." I turn my head to Nathaniel. "I assume they've already left the camp?"

He nods. "I went back at night fall the very next night and they had already cleared out." He sighs.

I turn back, looking down at my folded hands in my lap. "So they could be ready to attack at any time."

Dalton's voice makes me look up. "Who is with Pedro to protect him?" He asks, obviously not missing the fact as he looks around that all of our most trusted and capable fighters are here and not there.

Lance finally pushes away from the wall and comes to join us. "I left my best guards in charge of his protection." He shares.

"We need to get him out of there." Dalton shakes his head. "He's the first target, he can't be up there just a sitting duck with no real protection, no offense to your men." Dalton adds and for once it actually doesn't sound like he's making a dig at Lance.

Lance nods, like he actually agrees with Dalton. I'm a little stunned by this alternate universe it looks like I've woken up to. Dad leans forward, bracing his hands on the table in front of us. "Ok, let's call Pedro and go over what his announcement needs to be before we get him out of there."

Malcom furrows his brows, paying attention to the conversation again. "What exactly will he even be able to announce?" He asks. "We can't ensue a panic. We need to contain the situation."

I can't help my exaggerated eye roll. "Really?" I blurt. "You want us to contain the end of the world?" I shake my head. "The people need fair warning and the truth of what is coming." I bite into my bottom lip as I stare ahead, trying to think.

"Rose, that's just protocol." Dalton points out.

I give another shake of my head. "I know protocol is to contain, protect from behind the scenes, and don't create a panic, but there has never been a threat on this scale before. Protocol won't cut it anymore. This is going to require different thinking."

Malcom crosses his arms. "Ok, and what do you suggest then, Your Highness?"

I want to punch him right in the smug face but I reframe. Instead I lace my fingers together and sigh. "I don't know." I mutter quietly.

Malcom rolls his eyes. "Groundbreaking." He scoffs, becoming the victim of glares from all the others in the room. "Pedro is still the king, let's get him on the phone and see what he has to contribute to the conversation."

"What do you think, dad?" I ask, turning to him, looking for help but he looks just as confused.

"Like you said, this situation doesn't really fit the standards for protocol." He sighs. "We'll have to either break the rules entirely or we'll have to edge the truth very carefully. At this point I don't know which is best."

I nod. "Call Pedro." I sigh and Dad pulls out his phone and puts it on speaker as he lays it on the coffee table. Pedro answers after one ring.

We tell him all the new revelations about the doctor and the impending attack on Castrum that could come at any time. We each give our side on the protocol or no protocol debate and then he sighs, sounding haggard even through the phone. "What do you all want me to do?" He asks and Malcom shakes his head but mercifully holds his tongue. As if Pedro can see him he sighs. "Being the king is a hard job when everything is going smoothly, it's indescribable now." He says in a flat voice. "I fear making the wrong decision and ruining the kingdom that was entrusted to me. That's why I seek guidance."

My heart tugs for him. He sounds lost. I wish more than anything I could hug him and take some of the weight off of his shoulders. Dad must feel the same way. His shoulders fold forward, and he rubs his forehead with the back of his hand. "You've done so much for us, Pedro. We can never thank you enough."

My eyes involuntarily flick up to find Dalton and I feel the weight of his stare. He wants me to step up. He nods his chin just enough for me to notice. He's telling me that now's the time, and honestly so is my heart. It pounds in my chest as I look away from him.

I clear my throat...twice.

"Maybe he's done enough." I hardly get out in a low whisper. Dalton's eyes soften on mine and I sigh. "More than enough." I add with a little more confidence.

Mom and Dad widen their eyes and Dad swivels to look at me, a wrinkle forming between his brows. "What are you saying, Rose?"

"Rosie?" Pedro's voice fills the room, I don't miss the hint of hope in it, when I don't answer immediately.

I feel my Dad's hand on my knee and I slowly look him in the eyes. "I...I think I should be the one to make the announcement." The second the words are out of my mouth I want to chase them down and shove them back in. Doubt hits me like a freight train and I can't stop my mind from running wild. What if Dalton is the only one to support this? What if the people refuse me? What if I cause a revolt right in the absolute worst time ever?

"As what?" Dad gasps.

I have to look away from the weight of his eyes and I find Lance dropping his jaw slightly, realization hitting him. "As the rightful heir to the throne." He whispers.

"How?" Pedro asks, a little more of the usual musical tone slipping in.

I look down at my hands. "Well, I have a few ideas about that."

"What about us?" Dad's voice draws me back to him and I turn to look at him and mom. "You have to know that we can't just come back like nothing happened. Your mother and I would be hunted and killed for desertion."

"I have a plan about that too-."

He cuts me off like I didn't speak. "Plus you know this isn't the life that we chose. You-."

"Hey." My mom draws his attention. "You mean this isn't the life that I chose." She corrects him. "You gave up everything for me and your family."

He shakes his head stubbornly. "I didn't give up anything." He tells her. "I gained a real life with the two girls I love."

I reach out and take his hand, a wave of emotion I didn't expect taking me over. "You both made so many sacrifices in order to give me a better life. A human life. And I appreciate the way I was raised more than either of you will ever know, but I think it's time for me." Saying it out loud makes it resonate even more deeply in my heart. "Honestly, I think I could do good and make a difference. Since the night I came here, I've missed my family so much, but not once have I even thought about home or my old life. I don't even miss the sun. It hasn't crossed my mind." I admit, realizing it's true. "I feel in my element here. Out there I was a freak and a loner at best. Here I'm...so much more than just me, if that makes sense."

Dad's eyes well a little but he nods, looking down where my hand lays across his. "It does, trust me, it does, but-."

"Calvin," Mom cuts him off. "Do you remember what you told me when I was worried that by letting her come to Castrum that she may decide that this is what she wants for her life?"

He sighs. "I said that we'd support our daughter, and I am, but what about you?" He asks her. "If Rose comes out, you and I will be thrust right back into the public eye. There will be no leaving again, and that's if Rose can somehow convince them not to kill us in the first place. We'd be there for good. We can only fake our deaths so many times." He tries to joke.

Mom doesn't laugh, she just reaches out and turns his face to him. "Calvin I want you to look me in the eyes and tell me you don't miss it." She says evenly. "Look at me and tell me you haven't once missed the place where you were raised? And before you answer I want you to know I see how excited you get every time Pedro calls for advice or whenever you are giving your little lessons to Rose. I know you. I see it, and I know that you've been preparing her for this moment since she was little." He smiles sheepishly. We both know she's right. I've seen how much he enjoys being a part of planning or even just discussing anything that has to do with Castrum and his kingdom. He was born for this, literally. He was raised from day one to take his place on the throne and he gave it all away for me and mom. I don't think he regrets it, but he does miss it. It's easy to see. "I know you put your life on hold for me, but I've got everything I wanted. We raised our smart, independent, beautiful daughter out in the real world away from the danger. We gave her everything neither of us had, and now this is her choice. You've sacrificed enough for me, Calvin. I'm ready for the next chapter of our lives, no matter what or where that is."

I smile as dad snakes his hands up to cup her face and he kisses her tenderly. "You will never cease to amaze me." He whispers against her lips.

As soon as I realize what he's saying though my heart picks up pace again. "Are we really doing this?" I whisper, half excited, half horrified.

Mom and Dad both smile at me. "You're a princess, Rosie." Dad smiles. "It's time to make you a queen."

"Oh thank god!" Pedro exclaims from the other end of the line and a few of us let out little laughs. "So what is your plan, little queenie?"

I lift my chin. "I want to come back and all of us make the announcement to the people together. They need to see us together as a united force."

Dad goes to speak but Dalton beats him to it. "Are you insane?" He snaps. "You just got away from those people and you know the first step in their plan is to attack Castrum and you think I'm going to just let you walk into the most dangerous place there is right now?"

Again dad goes to open his mouth, but I'm too annoyed to listen. "I don't think you're going to let me do anything." I roll my eyes. "I wasn't asking for yours or anyone else's permission. If you've got another idea, please, feel free to share it."

He glowers at me from across the room but he bites back his annoyance. "I think we need to get word out now. As in tonight. The people need to know what's coming so they can be prepared."

"I can't do it tonight," I protest. "I need Pedro."

"Baby," Dad finally breaks in. "I agree with him. I don't think you need to be going to Castrum right now, and I think Pedro needs to be making an announcement to the people sooner rather than later."

"I'm going." I tell him and Dalton both. "Of course I think Pedro should be taking measures there tonight until we can get there tomorrow. Give full disclosure to all of the guard, let them know they need to be getting ready for a fight, but my coming out as the heir needs to be done with Pedro at my side."

Dalton's frown deepens. "Rose, you don't need to go there. It's an unnecessary risk."

I scoff and shake my head, looking up at him. "And what would you have me do then?" I ask. "I'll just record a broadcast for them from here? 'Hi, I'm Rose. I'm your new queen and I think you guys should all follow me even though I'm not there to help you out in your time of need because I'm busy hiding with my head tucked between my knees.' I mean, I'm sure that'll go over great." I roll my eyes and then take a deep breath to calm down. "What kind of message would that send to the people? They need to see me, and for my plan to work they need to see all of us."

Dalton takes a move towards me. "Rose, I-we just got you back. Don't be stupid."

Dad jerks his head to the side and glares at Dalton, making Dalton take a half step back, his expression making Malcom smirk.

"I'm not being stupid." I tell him. "The people will never follow someone who isn't willing to stand up for them and with them. Besides, without Pedro at my side, who would even take my claim seriously?"

Lance shrugs. "You could do it from here with Rachel and Calvin. They're recognizable enough to get people's attention." He offers.

I roll my eyes. "You mean these two fugitives?" I point out then frown at my parents. "Sorry." I add. "For my plan to work, I need Pedro and my parents. It's going to take a whole lot of talking and stretching of the truth to get us all into the people's good graces. I have to make them not only accept me, but also trust me to lead them through what's coming." I stand up, needing to feel bigger than myself. "I know what protocol is, but I'm going to have to break it. Now are we going to waist more time fighting or can we go over the plan now, because tomorrow night we go."

Dad and Dalton both share a glance, then both sigh. "Let's here the plan."

We spend the next few hours disputing the plan back and forth until it finally feels perfect and I feel confident in my ability to persuade the people to my side with my story. Dalton fights my plan at every turn and more than a few times my urge to rip off his clothes is replaced with the urge to rip off his face, but eventually everyone is on board. Tomorrow night everything is a go.

"Everyone should get some rest before what's to come tomorrow." Dad says, pointedly directed at me as everyone breaks away, some going to their own rooms, some collapsing on the couch in exhaustion. I glance over my shoulder and see Dalton slipping out the door and I bite my lip.

Dad watches me, raising his eyebrows, waiting for me to go to my bedroom but I back up towards the door.

"I, um..." I say as I turn. "I'll be right back."

I shoot out quickly and as I close the door behind me I hear Malcom chuckle to himself. "You know she isn't coming back tonight, right?"

My face flames but I keep moving up the hall to Dalton's room.

He answers after only one knock, leaning against the doorframe.

"Are you here to argue with me some more?" He asks gruffly, crossing his arms over his chest.

"No." I shake my head.

He rolls his eyes and repositions his weight on his feet. "Oh really?" He snaps. "Because that seemed to be all you were interested in in there." He points up the hall.

I roll my eyes at his attitude. "Whatever, you were being just as argumentative, thank you very much." He tell him. "But if you're going to be a brat about it, I guess I'll go."

I turn on my heel, stomping away from the door until big strong arms wrap around my shoulders from behind and his lips fall to my ear. "Did you just call me a brat?" He asks, a smile clearly in his voice.

I turn in his arms, reaching up to hold onto the back of his neck, brushing my fingers through his hair. "I just call em like I see em." I shrug a little.

He chuckles, walking backward to take us back to his room. "Oh, you're going to pay for that one. No one calls me a brat." He slaps my butt playfully.

"Bring it." I wink and he pulls me off the ground in a sweeping motion and tosses me into his room and onto the bed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.3K 3K 31
(3RD BOOK OF BLOOD WOLF SERIES) Quinn doubted ever finding someones else after the passing of her mate. Alone. Pained. Joyless. But fortunately for h...
64.9K 1.3K 18
A foster child, Olivia, befriended Luka who moved to mystic falls with his father. He had told her he was a witch and about the whole supernatural go...
35.6K 3.3K 42
COMPLETED! His only beloved book 1. She was a girl with plans, until she met this Italian vamp. Rose is a delicate flower who has been captured by th...
774 3 26
***BOOK ONE COMPLETED*** Rose, an ordinary girl living an ordinary life, stumbles upon a vampire, Adrian. After meeting Adrian, she was forced into...