Scarlet Legacy (Completed)

By FadeinBlue

What if saving someone meant exchanging your fate for something you can't even imagine? What if your real ide... More

S1-1 | To Save Him
S1-2 | Ironic Fate
S1-3 | Blue Eyes
S1-4 | Trapped
S1-5 | On the Run
S1-6 | Through New Eyes
S1-7 | Crave
S1-7.5 | Crave Part 2
S1-8 | Setting Sun
S1-9 | The Monster
S1-10 | A Party of some sort?
S1-11 | Ella and Chris
S1-12 | Punished
S1-13 | Passion-filled
S1-14 | When lying makes it worse
S1-15 | Scarlet
S1-16 | Claws
S1-17 | Breach
S1-18 | Hope.Dangerous.Keep Away
S1-19 | Ticking Clock
S1-20 | Brave
S1-21 | Surprise
S1-22 | Basic Instinct
S1-23 | New Arrangements
S1-24 | Et Vermiculum Vitae
S1-25 | What could go wrong?
S1-26 | Snap
S1-27 | Loyalty
S1-28 | Betrayal
Character Guide
S1-29 | Aftermath♥
S1-30 | Favors and Traitors
S1-31 | Murderer
S1-32 | Just This Once
S1-33 | The Beacon of War
S1-34 | Promitti
S1-35 | A Bond that Lasts Forever
S1-36 | Uninvited
S1-37 | Torn
S1-38 | Rapture
S1-39 | Turning Point
S1-40 | Insanity
S1-41 | Bloodlust
SAD(not an update)
S1-42 | Unforgivable
S1-43 | Justice Awaits
S1-44 | Fratres Usque Ad Mortem
S1-45 | Out of Control
S1-46 | (Love) Bites
S1-48 | Battlefield
S1-49 | Greed♦
S1-50 | The Curse ♦
S1-51 | Last Strike
S1-52 | The Beginning of an End
|Part Two Teaser/Hints|
|-|-|DETAILS|-|-|
Part Two (S2)
S2-53 | Unfriendly Visits
S2-54 | Royal Inquisition
S2-55 | The Bonds We Share
S2-56 | Desire
S2-57 | Master me, Master ♥
S2-58 | Veiled Intentions
S2-59 | Royal Intervention
S2-60 | Shattered ♦
S2-61 | Memoirs
S2-62 | Pounce♥
S2-63 | Unravel
S2-64 | Brewing War
S2-65 | First Wave
S2-66 | Masked
S2-67 | Black Veil
S2-68 | Revelations
S2-69 | Unexpected Ally
S2-70 | A Vow to Remember
S71 | A Prelude to the End
S2-72 | Bitter End
S2-73 | Shattered Reality
S2-74 | Behind the Curtain of Lies
Sorry
S2-75 | Gone
S2-76 | Past Reflections
S2-77 | The Grand Scheme
S2-78 | The Grand Scheme Part 2
S2-79 | The Child King
S2-80 | Vinculum Fidei
Epilogue
Please support my other works <3

S1-47 | Good-bye ♠

6.8K 398 74
By FadeinBlue

♥ Don't forget to comment below, pretty please? Thanks

♠ A surprise update in celebration for Defying Roarke reaching What's Hot #8. Hooray! Thank you everyone!

S47. Good-bye

I was expecting an angry mob of werewolves to greet me as I entered the living room but instead was pleasantly surprised when Ella grabbed my arm and whispered for me to be quiet. The serious atmosphere of the room prickled at my senses and I stared at the grave faces of everyone. Even Jamie was sitting with Jonah on the other side of the room and looking like a nervous wreck.

Roarke stepped inside the room, his eyes dark and brooding.

"The council had answered. They issued an order not to be a part of the war and if we refuse to comply, we will be suffering the consequences. I'm sure the same issue was ordered to the Ivanov's. "

Max groan in protest. "What the hell were those brats thinking? This is an inevitable war. "

"Apparently, the issue of Gustav's murder had now come to light and the council's top priority is to investigate all houses. A war could break or make evidence." He explained and passed the piece of paper he was holding to Chris.

Chris shook his head. "This is madness. Your father and Uncle Sean even agreed to this."

Roarke nodded stiffly. "My father, the King had expressed his desire for the Romanov house to not be a part of the war. He wants to ensure Ambrose...no...Jonah's safety."

"That's hard to do. Even if we did pull out of the war, the Ivanov's are not guaranteed to do so as well. They don't have anything else to lose. Not an heir anyway." Fray said sarcastically that earned curt nods from everyone.

"So what is it going to be?" Chris asked seriously.

Roarke and I made brief eye contact as he straightened and stared at everyone around the room.

"We are going to war. I will stand liable whatever happens." Roarke announced. Tasha blew out a breath and I did too.

"Ella, Tasha, Honey and Jamie will stay in the manor with Jonah. We will leave an eight of the troops to guard the perimeter, but just in case, I have contacted some of the troops outside the country to regroup here."

Ella started to protest. I squeezed her arm and shook my head. This wasn't the right time. She glared at me and stayed silent.

"After this week, we will need to move the troops. It's better if we initiate the start of war rather than them." Chris commented and Roarke agreed.

Just then, a guard burst inside the room, his eyes wide and alarmed. He quickly went to Roarke, bowing as he did so.

"Master, the fire had started around the south border. The patrol group had come back with this report. "

Roarke's reaction was immediate. He went over to the balcony and sure enough, black smoke had risen from a distance in every corner surrounding the manor.

He cursed loudly. The men were quick on their feet and out of the door in no time. Ella stared at the scene in worry. Fire?

"Was this part of the war?" I asked following Roarke closely as he fired off orders one by one, without missing a beat on his step.

"It is the signal. The enemy are ready. They are waiting."

I stopped in my tracks, my heart beat racing at his words. The past few weeks, the idea of a war seemed unreal and yet now, it's finally here. A loud explosion rattled the whole place. I glanced outside and saw fire blazed from afar. Some of the men started to run toward it but Roarke growled loudly, stopping everyone on their places.

"Get to your flanks. Let them do it. Stay away from the borders. We will be taking the East route." He said and disappeared in the crowd. Someone grabbed my arm and dragged me away from the men. I looked at Tasha. Her lips were pressed together firmly. The image of her horrified expression yesterday flashed briefly in my mind.

"Tasha...I...last night, I didn't mean to-"

She shook her head, "I know it's not you. I was just surprised no one told me about this and seeing a red-eye again after centuries caught me off guard."

My steps faltered. The image I saw in the mirror when I faced Roarke in the dining room resurfaced in my mind. It felt like a distant image from a dream. My other eye was red like the old hag's. And it's a fact that only a royal blood could have a red-eye. I was not a royal. So what does it make me?

"We will talk about this later. Right now, I need you to be ready. We may not be going to war but we need to protect Jonah if anyone decides to attack us."

I nodded. My problems could wait. Right now, a battle was coming and no one can predict the outcome.

"Wait, where is Ella?" I asked, looking around the hall that was now empty, aside from me, Ella and Yuan.

"She's with Chris. I want you to get your weapons quickly and stay in Jonah's room until the troops are ready to depart."

Another explosion was heard. Shouts of men followed along with the hiss and sharp clang of blades.

I hurried to Jonah's room and found him by the window looking down at the men grouping together in an orderly fashion; some were already on their wolf form flanking either side of the army. For a moment, I couldn't get my mind on the number of men coming from different directions. There must be thousands of them and more are still coming.

"They will come back right?" Jonah asked his blue gaze still pinned at the sight.

My throat closed up. I swallowed painfully and crouched down so I can look at him completely. I smoothed his black hair and stared at his clear blue eyes. His somber look made him looked more mature for his young age, and yet the innocence mirrored in his blue eyes was not amiss.

"They will. Your brother will lead them home. They will win." I assured him.

"But that means they will have to kill Honey. There will be too much blood spilled." He turned back to the window; his blue eyes had turn cold.

"My brother had too much blood on him already. It's swallowing him up." He murmured.

I placed my arms around him in a hug. "Then we will have to be here when he gets back, so he can be himself." I whispered and he nodded, returning my hug.

Just then the door of his room opened and a fully-armored soldier stepped in. I started to frown but then he closed the door behind him and took off his metal helmet. I gasped as I stared at a sheepishly smiling Ella.

"What are you doing Ella?!"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I'm going Honey. I can't let Chris fight alone."

I started to shake my head. This was wrong. Roarke had entrusted us with Jonah's safety after all.

"It's a war Honey and I don't know if Chris will come back to me. I have to make sure. "She said determinedly. My hands fell down to my sides. Against the face of love, how could I manage a retort?

"Then I will come with you. Just as we had plan."

Ella shook her head. "No. Jonah and Tasha need you here and after last night, it's better of you to stay home. "

I stiffened at the wariness in her tone. She was right though, I still don't have control over the force that may overwhelm me and Roarke's bite had just been a theory. It was yet to be tested.

I nodded my head. "What will Chris say when you're not there when sending them off?"

Ella grinned. "Don't worry. He thinks I am sulking."

I hugged her tightly. "Be careful okay? And make sure to kick some ass for me."

Ella winked and put her helmet back on. "You bet I will."

*~*~*

It took almost till mid noon until all the troops had been gathered together. Even Max and Fray had been assigned a troop to lead in battle. Ella had successfully blended with the men, I couldn't even spot her. Up front, Chris, Henry and Roarke still barked off orders, keeping the men in check. I watched him silently prowl the ranks telling the men what they need to do.

Tasha and Jonah stood on either side of me. Jamie was there too, looking silently, waiting for the send-off. My nerves were on edge. I fidgeted with my hands as I saw Roarke walking towards us, leaving Henry up front, stance as rigid as the men he was leading. Gone was the easy-going facade he have, his expression had been chiseled to vacant, unfeeling and it chilled me to see this side of the Henry I thought I know.

"We are ready." Roarke announced, bringing my attention back to him. "Take care of Jonah. The men will follow your orders. I gave you full authority over them at my absence. Yuan will be here to run the household as it is. " He said to Tasha who curtly nodded.

His eyes then flickered to Jonah. My heart squeezed painfully in my chest.

Was he ignoring me on purpose?

He crouched down, handing his metal helmet to Jonah who took it hesitantly.

They started to talk but I couldn't make out what they were saying, thanks to my nerves and the loud pounding of my heart in my ears. He straightened and turned to Jamie who flung herself towards him. I grimaced at the sight and tried not to glare at her.

Jamie clung tightly to him. My fingers curled to tight fists.

Deep breaths. I chanted slowly.

"Please come back safely master. If you don't we will die." She cried. I blanched at her selfishness. I never thought of it that way even though it was true. If a master dies, the turned ones will die too.

He didn't told her off as I wanted to, instead he pat her head gently and smiled down at her. The sight of his smile made my breath hitched and jealousy's pins started pricking at my heart.

"I will come back. Stay here and be safe." He said and pulled away from the embrace. Jamie sniffed and nodded at him. Jonah handed him the helmet. Is it my turn now? I nervously waited for him to look at me, but when he raised his head and his blue eyes stared straight at me, the world started to fall away, but the moment shattered immediately when he nodded stiffly and turned away, marching back to the front.

My lips parted in shock. A nod?!

A freaking stiff nod?!

Disappointment followed by incredulity and finally colored by anger coursed through my veins.

With a long, loud growl, the troops started marching towards the East gate. The Crimson Flag with the Romanov's crest waved smoothly with the breeze.

I stood there in disbelief for minutes, just watching the men moved out.

That's it? He was going to war after just nodding at me. Gritting my teeth, I threw caution and self-preservation to the wind and marched along with the men.

"Honey-"Tasha was shocked to watched me ran after them. The men dutifully ignored me as I made my way up front using the span of a distance between the marching troops. In fact, I was grateful when the others moved a bit to give me some space; some, as if knowing what I am about to do, threw me encouraging smiles.

"Hey wait just a minute!" I shouted through the deafening march of the men.

Some of the men glanced at me with amused stare. I blushed furiously and avoided their stares.

I growled in frustration when Roarke didn't even look back at me. I ran as fast as I could, squeezing past the men.

"Hey you asshole! Stop right there and say a proper good-bye!" I screamed as loud as I could.

The march promptly stopped. Everyone fell silent and unmoving; most of them glance at me curiously. I felt another blush crept up my cheeks, infusing my already red cheeks but paid it no mind as I watched him finally turn back. His mask concealed the expression on his face. The only thing I could see was his blue eyes and lips pressed into a thin line.

In a quick move, he slid the helmet off and surprise...surprise... his expression was still as nonchalant and devastatingly cold as usual. I stood my ground until he was standing in front of me.

I pinched my lips together, waiting for him to speak first but my patience snap as the minute stretched on and the men still kept glancing our way, even though they try to be discreet.

"You didn't say good-bye." I bit out, pointedly ignoring one of the soldiers who I made eye contact with.

"I don't say good-byes." He said coldly. I glance warily at the troops flanking as. Roarke caught on what I was thinking and with a wave of his hand, all of them turned their backs on us. I almost breathed a sigh of relief had he not yank me close to him.

"I'm not going to say good-bye to you. "He growled lowly.

I glared back at him. "Fine. Then I am reminding you something."

He frowned. I snatched my arm away from his grip.

"You promised me." I started and understanding flooded his features. He nodded once, as stiffly as before.

"I remember."

"Promise me again."

He stared at me for a long time. "Once is enough." He said gruffly. My chest felt like it was going to burst. He promised me he would live through.

Maybe he saw the flicker of emotions in my eyes; his hand reached for me, caressing my cheek, the other wound around my waist and pulled me roughly against him. The clang of the metal armor reminded me we were in the middle of thousands of men, albeit their backs turned to us. I blushed fiercely.

"I don't go back on my words, so don't go back on yours." He said softly.

I remember. I promised him too.

He brushed his lips against mine, as if testing how I would react and when my hands made no move and stayed splayed on his chest, his head swooped down and his lips captured mine in a searing kiss that left me breathless, knees weak and wanting for more.

"I'll give you a proper kiss when I come back." He promised darkly, his thumb tracing my lower lip glistening from his kiss.

"Isn't that a proper kiss already?" I asked huskily. He smiled a sight that I quickly committed to memory.

"Not remotely."

In a swift wave, the men faced forward again and started marching. Roarke had started to walk away. I clutched at my chest, feeling somehow lost and incomplete as I watched his back move further away.

He will come back. He promised.

*~*~*

The skies were staring to darken when the men finally traversed the eastern border. The whole place felt empty and the evidence of the war preparation are scattered around the field. Some of the guards left were busy patrolling the area. Tasha, Jamie and Jonah had already gone inside but I stayed outside until I couldn't see them anymore and even then I still didn't go back inside, and instead relished the cold afternoon breeze.

I started to go inside the house when a commotion from the front gate alerted the guards around. I looked on suspiciously as the gate opened and a sleek, black car entered. I started to frown and called for one of the guards.

"Who was it?" I inquired warily.

The guard bowed at me. "Miss. It's Sir Dimitrov."

I stopped for a second until I remember one other Dimitrov other than Chris and sure enough as I peered at the driver's seat, Sean Dimitrov sat there.

I gasped as I took in his whole appearance. He was gravely injured. Deep gashes adorned his face, dried blood stick to his skin. His suit was ripped to shreds it was barely hanging on to him. His body was no better. It was covered with blood and wounds that looked severe it was a wonder he was still conscious, although barely.

"Sean! Someone help me get him out of the car." Two guards help me carry him to the mansion. I lead the way inside. Something had happened and my gut was telling me it was bad. Especially now that Roarke was off to war.

Suddenly a hand enclosed around my wrist. I glanced back at Sean who was trying to keep his eyes open.

I ordered the guards to put him down gently as I spied the blood gushing out of his wound. Moving him will be futile at this point. We need to treat him quickly.

I tapped his cheek while ordering one of the men to ask Yuan to get a doctor and the others to call for Tasha.

"What happened to you Sean?" I asked worriedly.

He started to cough blood, groaning at the obvious pain he was enduring. His eyes brimmed with tears.

"M-mason..." he said gruffly.

I swallowed painfully.

"Oh my God." Tasha was right by my side, peering worriedly at Sean with Jamie and Jonah following her. They were shocked and horrified to see him in such a horrendous state.

"M-mason..." Sean repeated with a low groan.

"What about my brother-in-law Sean?" Tasha asked, her voice trembling.

"M-mason...He..." His body shuddered, tears slid down his cheek.

It felt like the floor was pulled under me and I was once again falling to a dark oblivion as he said the words...

"He is dead. Our King... is gone"

*~*~*

I hope you like this chapter! I'm seriously excited for what's coming next. Oh, and before I forget, I am considering the idea of changing the title from Defying Roarke to Scarlet Legacy, may I know what you think about this upcoming change? Thank you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 4.6K 40
(COMPLETED) (Highest rank #7) We stared at each other. My palms starts to sweat. My heart was beating fast. Im trembling in a good way. For Pete's sa...
13.6K 680 32
I couldn't have another person make me a promise they couldn't keep. I didn't want to do this anymore, this endless game of circling confusion. My m...
42.8K 1.3K 40
Book One of Beneath the surface series. Marisela, born into royalty, heir to the Greemalian Throne. A siren who has lived a lie her entire existence...
1.8K 242 53
Have you ever wondered what it is like to be in a fantasy novel with werewolves? Spoiler alert: It isn't as great as you would expect it to be. Sure...