Protectors of Earth

By NatLannister

Sequel to Freedom Fighters so it may be confusing to read if you haven't read the first one. More

A Sneak Peek
Chapter 0
Day of Rest
A New Hope
A New Threat
The Unexpected Visit
A Bad Feeling
Lunch Date
Under the Sea
One or the Other
Who to Trust?
House of Memories
Puppet and the Puppeteer
Sweet Bliss of Death
No More Pain
The Light Goes Out
Not An Update
Locker Room Talk
Running Away
A Flicker in the Dark
Put on Your War Paint

The First to Go

1.2K 55 14
By NatLannister

A ringing in his ears alerted Liam to one of two things. One, he was alive and the second was that he out of the water. His eyes slowly opened, only to be blinded by sunlight.

Groaning, his snapped his eyes shut and rolled over on his side, coughing up some water in the progress. He breathed in and out slowly, not wanting to stress his lungs too much.

He wanted to know who saved him and if Adalard was okay. Using a good bit of strength, Liam sat up and cracked his eyes open.

Across the deck, he saw a soaking wet Louis hovering behind Zayn who was attempting mouth to mouth to the older woman. Niall had tears streaming down his face, his whole body shaking from exhaustion and sadness. Harry was closer to Liam, and seemed to be putting all his attention on making the wind push the ship.

"Come on Adalard" Zayn cried, pushing against her chest. "Wake up, please." He continued to breathe air into the woman, praying it would work. "Can't you do anything, Niall?" he asked harshly, not intending to come out sounding so mean.

A sob escaped the blond's lips. "I bended the water out of her lungs, there is nothing else I can do."

Zayn kept trying to revive the woman, even though it was no use. It had been minutes since she was pulled from the water. Adalard wouldn't come back from this. Zayn's CPR became rougher and rougher, and Liam could have sworn he heard her ribs crack.

A hand placed itself on Zayn's shoulder, as he started pounding on her chest again. "Zayn, I'm sorry, but she is gone" Louis soothed, trying to get his boyfriend away from the deceased woman.

Zayn shrugged off Louis's hand, and continued with his task. Louis fell to the ground, howling in grief. He wanted Zayn to stop, he wanted to do something.

The older woman's chest finally collapsed from all the pounding it endured, which made Zayn stop his CPR attempts. The realization hit him that she wasn't coming back. The little fantasy world he was in, was gone now. Replaced by the cold reality, where people die in a blink of an eye.

Grief and anger washed over him. He wasn't angry at any of his boyfriends, but himself mostly. If only he could have done more.

Zayn had woken up right after everybody on the boat froze, and Adalard was sent to her death. He watched Liam run up to the deck, and helplessly ran after. By the time he made it to the top of the stairs, Liam had jumped overboard.

Jumping in after his boyfriend was not an option, since Zayn did not know how to swim. He stood at the edge of the boat, praying to see Liam break the surface. The current pushed against the boat roughly, showing no sign of letting up.

Zayn had darted over to the blond begging him to stop the boat. Niall listened, falling on his side in exhaustion. He and Harry were in no shape to save Liam and Adalard.

As Zayn got ready to dive overboard, Louis's head broke out of the water. In his grasp was an unconscious Liam and Adalard. He reached down and grabbed the woman's arm, pulling her back onto the boat. When he felt no pulse, he started doing CPR, up until her body finally gave out.

While he attempted to revive the woman, Louis must have climbed on board with Liam with the help of Niall.

Zayn blinked his eyes, coming back to reality. The loss of hope and life made Zayn lose control, which is something he hadn't done since his days of fighting the Fearsome Five. A wave of fire shot out of his arms, causing the sail to catch on fire. The deck erupted in flames, and Zayn was filled with shame. He debated on whether or not he should just jump off the boat, before he hurt anymore people.

Before the flames could get any worse, Louis transformed into a humpback whale, splashing a giant wave of out over the boat, instantly putting out the fires.

Liam came up right behind Zayn pleading "you need to calm down. If you don't you could burn this whole ship down."

But Zayn couldn't no matter how hard he tried. His heart rate quickened, and his breathing became more erratic. He tried to breathe slowly to calm himself, but whenever he saw Adalard's body the panic took over. "I'm sorry" Zayn cried, his arms once again igniting.

The flames built up, getting ready to shoot out once more, when Zayn's body fell to the ground unconscious. Behind Zayn was a wild eyed Harry, holding a large chunk of wood. "If I didn't knock him out, he would have killed everybody on this ship" he explaining, throwing the wood on the ground.

Harry looked at his remaining boyfriends and frowned at what he saw. Niall was asleep on the ground, and Liam looked like he was ready to full out sob. Louis didn't look much better with tears and snot already running down his face.

"Everybody just needs to calm the fuck down" Harry screamed, his patience wearing thin. "Once we get to America you all can cry all you like, but right now we are stranded in the middle of the goddamn ocean with a frozen army downstairs. I am going to keep the wind pushing the sail, but you guys just can't sit around and cry."

Wiping away the tears, Liam agreed "you're right, we need to focus on the other issues at hand. I guess I'll try and figure out how to unfreeze everybody downstairs."

Both boys looked over at Louis to see what he would do. What they saw was a blubbering mess on the floor. He pulled his knees against his chest and rocked back and forth. Liam started to walk towards his boyfriend, but was stopped by Harry. "Leave him" Harry barked, pushing down his sadness and guilt. "You can help him once, you help the people downstairs."

Liam wanted to disagree, but begrudgingly he headed downstairs. Even under the deck, he could still hear Louis's cries of agony. He wondered how the others would react when they unfreeze.

When he reached the bottom of the deck, everybody was in the same position as before. Running over to Jacob, the boy waved his hand in front of frozen man's face. There was no reaction from the leader. His eyes were glazed over and his face still wore a concerned expression.

The boy tried moving his arm, but to no avail. Not even pushing him over, knocked Jacob out of his daze. "Come on" he growled, not wanting to succumb to tears. Now was not the time to start feeling sorry for himself. The only other option was calling back the people who did this to the crew.

Liam didn't want to do that, but he wasn't sure what else he could do. Slowly, he walked towards the god forsaken phone and picked it up. It was still warm from when Liam held it last. He knew this was a horrible idea and that he would probably regret, but he had no other options left.

Another sob left Louis from above the deck, making Liam want to drop what he was doing and run to his boyfriend. But he couldn't, at least not yet. Once everybody could move on their own, he would go to Louis and cry with him. The faster he spoke with the enemies over the phone, the faster Louis would be in his arms.

Before he knew what he was doing, his fingers hit the redial button. The phone rang 5 times before he heard a click. Nobody spoke at first, and all Liam could hear on the other end of the phone was breathing.

He wanted to hang up, but his heart wouldn't let him. Finally after a mini debate in his mind he spoke. "Is Peter there?"

"Depends on who is asking" a female responded, her voice a little deep for a girl.

"You damn well know who is it" Liam barked, his hand forming a fist. "Put Peter on the goddamn phone. Now!"

"That is no way to speak to a lady" Peter scolded from the other end of the phone. "I believe you owe my dear friend an apology."

"No, you owe me one for killing my friend."

"Actually" the man countered "I gave you the chance to save her. It's not my fault your incompetence got in the way. Why didn't any of the Freedom Fighters help you? Is it because they are weak just like you?"

"SHUT UP" Liam screamed, losing all his patience. "Unfreeze my crew."

The next voice was the female from before. "Why should we help you?"

"If you don't, we won't make it to America."

"That doesn't sound like my problem."

With each word that left the girl's mouth, Liam grew more and more angry. He released his breath and tried to think happy thoughts. No matter how much he argued, the enemy would not unfreeze the crew. Swallowing his pride, he did the one thing he knew would work. "Will you please unfreeze my crew?"

"Well since you asked so nicely, I shall grant you, your wish" Peter responded, his voice laced with sarcasm. "But first I am going to need you to apologize to my friend Natalie, and you have to mean it."

Rolling his eyes, Liam put as much sincerity as he could into his voice. "I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't mean it."

"It's okay, I forgive you" Natalie replied cheerfully.

"I am assuming I am on speaker" Peter stated. Liam hummed in agreement. "Good. Everybody unfreeze and go find you dead friend. I shall see you soon Liam, can't wait to meet you officially."

The dial tone was what Liam heard next, as Peter hung up the phone.

Groans erupted from around the room, as the people stretched their bodies. "What the hell just happened?" Jacob questioned, walking up to Liam. "Where is Adalard?"

The mere mention of the woman's name was enough to finally set Liam off. His knees gave way and he fell to the ground, allowing the tears to flow freely down his face.

Without a word, Jacob took off to find the older woman. He guessed what had happened from the boy's reaction, but he still needed to see for himself.

She lay on the edge of the deck, looking almost like she could be sleeping. Her hair and clothes were dry, but her lips and skin were blue. Even though he knew the answer, Jacob still checked her pulse. The skin was cold to touch, and he felt no heartbeat.

He swore in that very moment, he would get revenge for Adalard. He would kill the man on the phone who made her jump to her death. "Your death will not be in vain" the man promised, kissing her limp hand.

By this time the rest of the people were on top deck, staring at the woman's dead body. The sobs of the people overpowered the waves of the sea.

Harry climbed up the sail of the boat, trying to block out the crying. He covered his ears, and kept his mind distracted from Adalard. With his mind closed off, he focused all his attention on moving the ship forward. It was all up to him now, Niall was no longer useful. He knew they were getting close, Harry could sense a huge mass of land in the distance.

While the army mourned their lost, Liam picked up Louis, Zayn and Niall, carrying them below deck. He tucked the blond and Zayn into a bunk bed, and sat on the edge of it with Louis. He tried his best to comfort his boyfriend. When the sleeping boys woke up, Liam guessed they would be in America. He hoped Zayn would be calmer when he woke up, they couldn't have him have another fire attack.

He rocked Louis back and forth, trying to get his sobbing to subdue. "I'm scared Liam" the boy cried out. "I have a feeling this won't be the first lost we experience."

"Hey nothing bad is going to happen to you. I promise to keep you and the others safe."

"It won't matter" he said, ending the conversation. Louis crawled out of Liam's arms and squeezed in between Zayn and Niall. All this crying had worn the boy out, and he fell asleep in a couple seconds.

Liam sat in complete silence, rethinking the plan of entering the country. The enemy seems to have known their every move. They were always one step ahead of the Freedom Fighters. Liam feared the only thing they would find in Florida would be death. And he knew his boyfriends would not be able to handle anymore death.

As Liam sat there contemplating the entire plan, Jacob came running downstairs. "We spotted land in the distance" he reported, grabbing Liam by the arm. "We made it to America."

He pulled the boy out of the bed, not wanting the lad to be alone any longer. Jacob needed Liam to realize that he was not blamed for Adalard's death. The blame fell on the enemies, who commanded her to drown herself.

Arriving on the deck, Liam saw the sun was beginning to set. He figured he must have been downstairs by myself for hours just thinking. He would be glad to get off the boat, but worried about what awaited him and the others on land.

"When we land, we are going to bury Adalard. She wanted to go to America, so that is where her body will lay" Jacob told Liam staring at the country in awe. In each passing minute, they got closer and closer. "I wish she was here to see it."

"Me too" Liam sighed, wiping away the tears forming in his eyes. The time of mourning was over, he had other issues to worry about like how he was going to keep everybody alive. "I should go wake up my team" he said, excusing himself from the deck.

With a grim face, he woke up the others. Niall sat up silently asking "did I dream it or did Adalard actually die?"

"It's true" Liam consoled, watching the blond's face, waiting to see how he would respond.

Niall nodded his head, and scooted out of bed not saying another word. The other two reacted the same way, none of them knew what to say. Adalard was dead because of them, and their idea to go to America. They should have never involved the German groups.

They walked to the edge of the boat, and stared aimlessly ahead at Florida. The closer they got, the more fear built up in Louis. He regretted the plan, and just wanted to go back to the lake where they had their date.

Harry floated down from the sail, landing next to the lads. "Niall will take over for me? I need to rest for a bit."

The blond nodded his head and made a current, carrying the boat to the shore. Harry slipped down to the ground, sitting cross legged. He shut his eyes and blocked out the world and all his troubles.

Louis squeezed Liam's hand. "This is it" he whispered. "The second we get on land there will be no turning back. We can still go back, you know. It's not too late. We can go back to Germany and live at the lake. Screw the world, we saved it once. The world has done nothing for us."

Liam looked over at the rambling Louis, and shushed him with a kiss. "We are not turning back. We will defeat this new threat, just like the Fearsome Five." Louis still didn't look convinced. "I swear everything is going to be okay" Liam promised, though he didn't believe the own words coming out of his mouth.

I am so sorry for not posting sooner. I am horrible and I procrastinating the update. Anyway I hope you guys liked the update.

Did you guys get snow this week cause I did? How has life been? I hope school is going well for you and that you are having a great March.

Don't forget to vote and comment because they motivate me to update faster (also bugging me will me make me update as well).

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 26 13
My mediocre writing and word vomit put into writing form. Read at your own risk. This is a collection of imagines about Zianourry (if you couldn't al...
860K 5.7K 9
I like to write dirty things, about Daddy... ~JazzibooXx
611K 6.3K 48
Prefrences, basically.
12.5K 196 47
You don't always get to choose who you fall for.