What It Seems | Wattys 2023

By kayleeix

Adalynne Claire finds an old family photo album filled with pictures from her childhood. She holds hardly any... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Epilogue
Sequel (PLEASE READ!!!)

Chapter 16

6.4K 210 25
By kayleeix

For the past thirty minutes or so, I've been chasing Baylor around the apartment. I was either jumping over the sectional couch multiple times, darting back and forth between rooms, or taking left and right or zigzagged turns around Baylor's figure. Baylor has taken numerous binders and folders and supplies that I needed for my homework assignments. He even took my book bag with my binders and folders and hid it in a high area that was beyond my reaching. At that, I was only left with a piece of notebook paper and an eraser.

"Give me back my phone!" I beseeched, demanding my phone to be placed back in my hands.

Baylor's laughter filled the apartment's silence along with my yelling.

Baylor believed it was hysterical to see me get upset or angry.

I attempted to jump over the sectional couch once again. I took it to an extreme because I was incredibly short compared to him. This time I wasn't so lucky this time - I didn't hit the carpeted floor with my bare feet. Instead, the front of my body did.

I groaned in pain as my body smacked into the hard floor and I lay there, listening to Baylor scurry around. He was trying his hardest not to laugh at my clumsiness, but quiet laughs escaped his lips anyway.

I turned onto my back and continued to rest there until the pain in my chest and chin disappeared.

"Are you okay?" he inquired, barely holding back a threatening laugh. I nodded. The pain around my chest and jaw vanished, but I felt sudden carpet burn around my jaw still.

"You took a hard fall," Baylor stated matter-of-factly.

"It's okay, you can laugh. I don't care," I said.

I managed to sit up and Baylor helped me stand up. I thanked him, and the urge of laughter seemed to disappear. It surprised me, really; it impressed me how much of a gentleman he's being right now.

"Here's your phone." Baylor tenderly placed it in my hand out of all seriousness. I thanked him once again and decided to do my homework later tonight. There wasn't that much anyway.

A thumb and an index finger were placed around my jaw and Baylor lifted my face a bit, scoping my skin out. He ran his thumb over the crevice of my chin.

"Carpet burn?" he asked. "Looks like it stings." Baylor placed his hand back down by his side and focused on my chin.

"Nah, it doesn't burn as badly as it did earlier," I acknowledged and pushed my phone into the back pocket of my jeans.

He's being sweet today. Just by the little gestures he's showing astonishes me.

I rolled down the back cushion and slammed tenderly onto the sofa. Baylor sat on the separated part of the sectional, and by appearance, I guess he was checking his phone. I done the same and responded to a few of Jo's texts.

Oh my God! Aiden wants to have a picnic at the park Saturday night, and then Sunday he wants to watch a movie at y'all's house!!!!!!

I typed back, joking: Where would I go Sunday???

The three motioning dots appeared above the typing box, signaling that Jo was typing back.

Jo: Your brother said if I wanted you with us then I could. Which I don't mind a bit. But it's your home and I'm not bossing you around. Lol.

Me: Lol, I was kidding but I prolly would've hung out with Baylor anyway

Jo: Get 'em, tiger ; ) HAHA you two should hang with us

Me: Might just do that, but I wouldn't want to intrude

A few nudges were felt at the heel of my foot. "Adalynne," Baylor called. I turned my head from my phone to look at him.

"Is Aiden and Jo dating?" he questioned. Aiden must have told him.

"Yeah, sorta. I figured Aiden would've told you," I guessed.

"He did, I thought he was lying," Baylor responded.

"Why would he lie?" A small chuckle escaped questioningly.

"I thought Aiden was like me - I thought he didn't date."

"People change."

"That, or he just like the idea of -"

I interrupted him by mumbling words louder than what he was about to say.

Baylor began laughing. "What - you don't think so?" he lilted. I shook my head tremendously, disagreeing.

"Hey, just give my brother a break," I paused, watching Baylor's face settle in (almost) solemnly. "He might like Jo, y'know."

Baylor sighed, "Well I wish him good luck. There are certain reasons why I don't."

I arched a brow, not believing why and wondered why he doesn't date. "And why is that?"

"Girls are too obsessive and clingy, at least from what I've experienced. Most of them tried changing me," he said. "One girl I dated before just, like, told everyone my business and things got out and come to find out, she had an obsessive ex-boyfriend that was like Derek – very boastful and always tried to start shit."

"So, it's sort of difficult for you to put your trust into someone?" I consoled. Baylor shrugged. "You can trust me."

A small smile broke onto his face.

I picked up my phone to reply to Jo, and just when I began to respond, Baylor threw a pillow and the impact knocked my phone out of my hand. I picked the pillow from the floor and smacked him with it.

"You ass. My phone is probably cracked."

Two hands wrapped around both of my ankles and a quick tug pulled my body close to him. Baylor began tickling me. I couldn't breathe - I was too caught up in laughter.

"Baylor, s-st-op," I begged, laughing like I was going to die.

"Take it back!" he bellowed, entreating me. I couldn't speak because he was still tickling me. I was squirming everywhere on the couch. His moving fingers shifted to my sides.

"Take it back and I'll stop!" he yelled over my laughter. He was laughing as well. Demanding him to stop by nudging my hands to cover up my torso, I was moving everywhere. I was at the edge of the couch, and I clasped my hands around Baylor's arm.

"Pull me back up! I swear if I fall, you're coming with me!" I screamed, terrified of falling off the sofa. Half of my body was already dangling off the couch, and the rest of me that was still hanging on was wrapped around Baylor's body. My foot was pressed into Baylor's back and my other foot was in between the cushions of the couch.

"Say I'm the sexiest person you've ever seen in your life, and I'll pull you back up." A strong grin was held on his lips. I shook my head tremendously, refusing to admit.

"Fine." Baylor shoved my body farther off the couch. My back was nearly touching the floor. I immediately wrapped my legs around Baylor's neck, and with that, we both fell.

Baylor's body knocked into mine, and I felt a sharp pain in my boob. "Get your elbow out of my boob," I shouted into Baylor's shoulder. He shoved himself up slowly, peering at me.

"I told you that you'd come down with me if I fell," I grinned.

"Yeah, 'cause you wrapped your legs around my neck. . . and 'bout gave me whiplash." Baylor lowered himself back onto my body. His weight was too heavy for my small body, and I struggled from getting underneath him.

"Baylor," I whined. "Get off!" I cried.

"Say I'm the sexiest guy you've ever seen in your life and I will," he demanded.

"We're back at this now?" I emitted. "I can't breathe."

"Yep," Baylor retorted.

I huffed, "I guess we'll stay like this then."

"That's fine with me."

Moments passed and I was growing eager to get off the floor and out from beneath his heavy body. For a lean person, he sure does weight a lot.

"Baylor, I'll kick your friend down there if you don't get up in two seconds," I growled. His chest rumbled in laughter.

"I'll elbow you in the boob again if you do," he responded. I gasped in agitation. I began squirming from beneath his body.

"You're never going to get up so quit trying."

"What can I do to make you get off of me?" I quizzed.

"Call me the sexiest person on earth or -"

"Or?!" I shrieked, begging for another way out of his trap.

"Kiss me."

Kiss him?

I shook my head. "You're crazy."

A pair of lips smashed tenderly into mine. Baylor's soft, warm lips attached to mine, and they felt like they were glued. His taste was minty, and it was overwhelming. His scent, the taste of his lips, the sparks, and the moment we were wedged in had me in a frenzy.

Our lips peeled from each other's. Baylor gazed deeply into my eyes and then down to my lips. His fingers pushed a strand behind my ear.

"Baylor," I whispered.

The air in the room had turned cold and my body had turned weightless as his figure moved away swiftly. I sat up as I watched him pull his hoodie over his head.

"Look, I, um - I have to go," Baylor announced as he ran his hand through his hair. I nodded slowly and watched as he made his way out the door.

Was it something I'd done? Was I that bad? I hadn't kissed anyone before, that is why. I mean, I didn't know what to do. He made the first move.

My finger trailed against my lips, remembering the way his lips moved against mine: swiftly, yet slowly. His lips were warm and incredibly soft -there wasn't a crack felt. I can't really describe what it felt like. I knew the feeling of my heart skipping multiple beats. It was weird, really. I've never felt like that before. A guy has never taken my breath away, and I've never had, like, electrical currents flowing through my body. We're friends and I know Baylor recognizes that, too. Did Baylor realize that I wanted to get from under him, so he kissed me? Because he knew that I wouldn't make the first move. Or that I wouldn't in a million years call him the 'sexiest guy on earth'? I have no idea, but I am most certain about one thing.

I liked it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 23.8K 30
"I want to go back to my old ways." Ezra said in a monotone. It felt like he held no emotion. I stood dumbfounded not knowing what to do? "I tried yo...
1.2M 45K 25
Life was suppose to be easy or so they say. Haley Gardner had everything she could have ever wanted; a hot boyfriend, a loving family, and the chance...
63.4K 2K 37
"I'm scared" I whisper as a tear trails down my cheek. Hayden's eyes soften as he stares down at me. He pulls me into his chest, resting his head on...
926K 28.8K 44
Emma White never had the perfect life. Her mother died giving birth to her, her father was always working and never gave her attention, but when she...