La Cantante

By tufano79

Bella is a freshman in college studying to be a music teacher. Edward is a pre-med student at the same school... More

Orientation
Unexpected Changes
Party Time!
The Singer
Reaction
Inquisition
Buona Notte
First Day of School
Complications
Sectionals
Emerson Express
Birthday Surprise
Attack of the Killer Pixie
Observation Hours
Dinner with the Cullens
Football: The Great American Past Time
Lingerie Fairies and Other Fun
Mind Blowing Perfect Pitch
Nightmares and Drama
Police Report and the Aftermath
A Major Switch
Homecoming Week
Bed and Breakfast and Bed and Bathtub ...
Homecoming Excitement
Holy Crap and Halloween
Sapphires and Supper
Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow
Dance Lessons
Traveling to Toronto
Toronto Express
Magnificat
Celebrations and Such
Eclipse
Black Wednesday
Thanksgiving
Truth or Dare
Christmas Elves
Moving Day
Finals
Video Remembrances, Tattoos, Announcements ... Oh, My!
Pain and Presents
A Swan Family Christmas
Jacob Black
A Life Lived in Fear ...
... Is a Life Half-Lived
New Year's Eve
Ramblings of a Dark and Twisted Mind
Happiness
Only Dogs Can Hear Pixies Squeal
Back to School
Self-Defense
The Gig
Revenge is Sweet ... Is It?
Hell
Recovery
Therapy
Volvo 2.0
Closure and Healing
Amazed
Valentine's Day
Feisty Bella, to the Extreme
Alice's Prediction
Confrontations and Pleasant Dreams
Disciplinary Action
Wedding Dresses
Good Vibrations
Engagement Photos
Choir Tour
Sick
Fluff
The Windy City
Masen
Explanations
Courtroom Drama and Pampering
Dancing and Senior
Resolutions
Odyssey and Twilight
To Record Deal or Not To Record Deal?
Decisions
Broken Millers
"Wild" Recording Sessions
Hangovers and Future Discussions
Honors Recital
Jacksonville
Transitions
End of the School Year
Italy
L'Italia, part due
Go Roma!
Everything is BIGGER in Texas
Il Divo
Recording Sessions and Bachelor Parties
Boning ... Pictures ... Wedding?
Fast Forward
Mrs. Edward Cullen
First Day of Forever
Breaking Midnight
Epilogue

Nightmares and Renee

994 32 6
By tufano79

Author's Note: I own NONE of this. No copyright infringement is intended. I just wanted to borrow the characters and play with them.

Thank you to all of the people who have faved and/or commented on my story! It means more to me than you can imagine!

Chapter Fifty-Seven: Nightmares and Renee

EPOV

Bella was home.

Bella was going to be okay, physically.

I was concerned about her emotional health, though.

I knew I would have to talk to her, to encourage her to go to the counseling center. That first night home, Bella had such violent nightmares. She thrashed in the bed. She even connected with my jaw and I could feel the bruise forming on my face. I gathered her in my arms and held her close, willing the nightmares away. I hummed her lullaby until she calmed down and fell heavily against my chest. Even in death, Jacob is haunting her dreams. If he wasn't already dead, I'd hunt him down and kill that fucker. I eventually fell asleep, holding my poor, broken girl against my chest.

The next morning, my alarm went off early and I slipped out Bella's arms. She didn't have any more nightmares, which was a good thing. I don't think my body could handle another right hook. I hopped into the shower and scrubbed the hospital smell from my body. After my shower, I walked out and began my ritual of shaving. I looked at my face and I was gnarly. I had finished shaving and I looked more like myself. I still had dark circles under my eyes and a bruise was on the left side of my face. Bella had really clocked me. After dressing, I walked into the kitchen and found Charlie sitting at the table, drinking some coffee.

"Mornin' Edward," he said carefully.

"Good morning, Charlie. How did you sleep?" I asked.

"Quite well. That bed in the office is quite comfortable," he said as he sipped his coffee. He stared at me, his eyes filled with concern, wary. "I heard Bella's screams last night."

"Yeah, she had a rough night," I murmured sadly. I poured myself a cup of coffee and drank it black. "Even though Jacob's dead, he's still tormenting her."

"He got what was coming to him. I always thought he was a good kid. A bit misguided, but a good kid. That all changed two years ago when he fucked with my daughter," Charlie seethed. "What happened to your face?"

"Bella's hand connected with my jaw when she was having a nightmare," I chuckled darkly.

"Damn, she's got a strong arm," Charlie teased.

"That's not all that's strong," I said. "Do you want some breakfast? I was going to make French Toast for Bella. She hasn't eaten much since she left the hospital."

"Sounds good, Edward," Charlie said with a crinkled smile.

"Why don't you have a seat in the living room and turn on the television? I'll call you when breakfast is ready," I said with a crooked smirk. I gathered the ingredients for the French toast. I made the batter and pulled out the large frying pan and placed it on the stove, heating it up with some oil. I dunked several slices of bread into the batter and put them into the pan. As the bread cooked, I took out some strawberries and cut them up and put them into a small cup, pouring a bit of sugar on them. I finished Charlie's breakfast and called him into the kitchen. He thanked me for the food and dug in. I made Bella's breakfast and put it onto a small tray, along with a cup of coffee, made the way she liked it, strawberries and some warm syrup. I carried the tray to the bedroom and slipped inside. "Bella?"

She groaned and moved slightly on the bed. I put the tray of food on the dresser. I sat down on the edge of the bed and gently pushed her long, soft hair away from her face. "Beautiful? Wake up. You need to take your medicine," I said quietly, brushing my lips along her jaw.

Her eyes fluttered open and she looked at me. "What time is it?"

"A little after ten in the morning," I said with a smile. "I made you breakfast."

"You did?" she asked, her eyes lightening up with excitement.

"Your favorite," I replied. "Sit up. You get to eat breakfast in bed."

Bella rolled onto her back and eased up, a grimace marring her beautiful features. Her bruise on her face was fading, but was still prominent. I placed a pillow behind her back and I walked to the dresser and picked up the tray with French toast. I placed it over Bella's legs and she smiled. "This looks delicious, Edward. Thank you."

"Anything for you, beautiful. Dig in," I said. I got up and moved to the other side of the bed. I lay down next to Bella and swiped a few strawberries. I handed Bella her glasses and she gasped when she looked at me. "What is it, baby?"

"What happened to your jaw, Edward?" she asked as she ran her fingers over my bruise.

"You were very upset last night, having nightmares, and you clocked me," I said.

"I did that?" she squeaked. She pushed the tray of food away from herself and she ran to the bathroom, bawling. She slammed the door and locked it.

"Bella?" I called through the door. "Baby, I'm fine. Please come out."

"No. I'm horrible," she cried.

"Bella, you're not horrible. Please open the door?" I begged. I sat down near the door and leaned against it. Bella unlocked the door, but didn't open it. I took it as a sign. I opened the door and moved into the bathroom. Bella was sitting on the large rug outside the shower. She was curled up in a ball and crying into her hands. "Baby, please don't cry. I'm fine. I'm more worried about you."

"I hurt you, Edward," she said miserably. "How can you love me if I hurt you?"

"Baby, you were asleep and not aware of what you were doing. You were having a nightmare. Besides, it doesn't hurt. I'm fine," I said inching closer to her.

Bella moved away, still crying. "I'm sorry, Edward. I suck," she sobbed.

"Baby, don't say that. Please. You don't suck. I know that you're hurting, physically and emotionally, but don't go down that road," I begged.

She raised her eyes and they flashed with anger. "What road is that, Edward?" she sneered.

"Beating yourself up. Believing what Jacob told you," I said carefully. "You are too important to me. Baby, please."

"Sorry, Edward. I didn't mean to snap," she murmured.

I moved closer to her and sat down next to her. I tentatively reached for her hand and laced my fingers together with hers. "Bella, I'm worried about you. In the past few months, you've been through a tremendous ordeal. You need to talk to someone. I know that you are comfortable with me, but I'm not a psychologist. I love you and I don't want to lose you," I whispered.

"I know, Edward. Maybe your dad can give me a name of someone," she mumbled.

"I'll talk to him later," I said as I caressed her cheek. She looked at me and her eyes filled with tears. I gathered her in my arms and pulled her into my lap. She sobbed against my chest, but I held her, comforting her. I ran my fingers through her hair and gently scratched her back. "Come on, beautiful. You need to finish your breakfast. You haven't eaten much since Wednesday and I can feel your ribs."

Bella nodded and tried to scoot off my lap. I held onto her and picked her up easily. "Edward, put me down. I'm perfectly capable of walking."

"Nope," I said, kissing her nose. "I've got you and I'm not letting you go." I carried her back to the bed and laid her on the pillows. I dashed to the kitchen and reheated her breakfast. She managed to finish all of the French toast that I had prepared for her and took her pain pills, skipping the strawberries. "Don't you want your fruit?"

"Not strawberries. Anything but strawberries," she whispered.

"Why, baby?"

"I was going to the store to get whipped cream, strawberries and chocolate sauce. I wanted to make an 'Edward sundae,'" she said, her voice dead and her face a blank mask.

"'Edward sundae?' Bella, I'm not following you," I said.

"I wanted the same reaction that you had in the limo with the beer. I wanted to use whipped cream, strawberries and chocolate sauce," she replied, still lifeless. "No strawberries."

"I got it, beautiful. No strawberries," I said as I picked up the tray. She rolled over and curled up, her shoulders shaking. I walked out of the bedroom and closed the door. I moved the kitchen, puzzled by the whole interaction.

"Everything okay, Edward?" Charlie asked.

"I don't know. Bella is really having a hard time. I'm going to call my dad to see if he can recommend a therapist to help her," I said with a sad smile.

"Let me get the dishes, Edward. You cooked. Take care of my girl," he said, clapping my shoulder.

I nodded and walked to the living room, calling my father.

"Dr. Cullen's office," the receptionist chirped.

"I need to speak with Dr. Cullen. This is his son, Edward," I said smoothly.

"Of course, Edward. Hold on, please," she said kindly. The canned classical music came through the speakers of my phone. After a few moments my father came on.

"Edward? Is everything alright?" he asked, his voice slightly panicked.

"Not really, Dad. Do you have a colleague that you would recommend for therapy? Bella is not doing too well. She had horrendous nightmares last night and is shutting down," I said, my voice thick with emotion.

"Hold on, Edward. Let me get my directory," Carlisle said. I heard some shuffling over the phone line. "I have a name of someone that Bella might like. Her name is Dr. Stephenie Lunes. She works with people who are recovering from abusive relationships and their feelings of self-loathing. Here's her number."

Carlisle rattled off a number and I jotted it down on my hand. "Thanks, Dad."

"No problem, Edward. Also, don't worry about your car. Esme and I will purchase you a new one as an early birthday present for you. We know how much you loved your Volvo."

"Dad, I am getting money from the insurance company for the Volvo," I responded.

"I know. Put that money into your checking account and save it for the wedding. Or the honeymoon," he smiled.

"Dad, you are a dirty, old man," I laughed.

"What? That's what honeymoons are for," he retorted. "What do you think I did with your mother? Were you conceived from immaculate conception?"

"Um, ew. Dad, that is something I don't want to think about," I grumbled.

"Love you, Edward. Give my love to your lovely fiancée," he said.

"Love you, too, Dad. Talk to you later," I said.

"We'll probably come over tomorrow, if that's alright with you. Esme wants to meet Renee and Phil," Carlisle mentioned.

"Call first, okay?"

"Will do, Edward. Bye."

"Bye, Dad." I hung up the phone and walked to the kitchen where I wrote down Dr. Lunes' phone number onto a piece of paper. I walked back to the bedroom where the bed was empty. "Bella?" I ventured further into the bedroom and I heard the shower running. I assumed she was in there. I made the bed and gathered our clothes for the laundry. I tossed them into the washer and put some detergent in. I went back to the bedroom and pulled out my laptop. I couldn't use the desktop as Charlie was in there with the door closed. I did some research on Dr. Lunes. She seemed to be an expert in her field, focusing on young women who suffered through physically and emotionally abusive relationships. I also did some research on head injuries, to see if Bella's behavior was normal. I was grateful that it was.

Bella exited the bathroom, wrapped in her robe. She looked up and gave me a small smile. "I'm sorry, Edward. I want to apologize now for anything that I say or do that is hurtful toward you. It's nothing that you've done. It's all me," she said.

I hopped off the bed and cupped her cheeks. "Bella, the only thing that you can do to hurt me is leave me. Do you plan on doing that?"

"No."

"Then, we'll be fine. I love you, beautiful."

"I love you, too. I am still sorry, though," she mumbled.

"Isabella Marie Swan. Stop it," I warned.

"Fine, Edward Anthony Masen Cullen," she teased, poking me in the stomach. "You need to eat too. You're too skinny."

"I haven't had one of your gourmet meals in a few days. That and I haven't had much of an appetite either," I admitted.

"I'll cook something tonight," she said.

"Over my dead body. You're healing. I'll figure something out, Bella," I said.

"I don't want to eat chicken fingers and frozen pizza," she whined.

"You won't. Trust me. Please?" I said, giving her my lopsided grin.

"Just don't burn down the apartment. I don't want to move again. I don't have the energy," she teased.

"It's a little hard to burn down the apartment with electric cooking," I countered.

"Touché," she laughed. She walked into the closet and picked out a pair of yoga pants and one of my hoodies. She walked to the dresser and pulled out some underwear and sports bra. She pulled the panties up under the robe, along with pants. "Edward, can you help me with my bra? I can't comfortably hook it because the injuries to my ribs."

"I'd rather be removing it, but of course," I said. She slipped her arms through the straps and I clasped the tiny hooks together.

"Edward?" she asked after she put on my hoodie.

"Yes, love?"

"Please be patient with me. I don't know when I'll be able to be with you, that way. But, I want to you know that I do love you, even if I can't show it."

"Bella, you've been through hell and back. I don't want to push you into something that you are not comfortable with. Besides, I wouldn't want to hurt you when we do become intimate again. I would hate myself if I hurt you," I said as I brushed a damp curl from her cheek. "You set the pace."

"Thank you, Edward. You're too good to me. I don't deserve you," she said as she laid her hands on my chest.

"Nonsense. I don't deserve you," I said, wrapping my arms around her waist. She returned my embrace and laid her head against my heart. She took several deep breaths. "I got that phone number you asked for."

"Oh? Did your dad recommend someone?" she asked her head still against my heart.

"Yeah. Her name is Dr. Stephenie Lunes. She's an expert in dealing with patients who have lived through physical and emotional abuse. She's younger, too. I think you'll like her," I said against her soft fragrant hair. It smelled like my shampoo, though. "Did you use different shampoo, Bella?"

"Um, yeah. I used yours. The smell of strawberries makes me sick to my stomach," she mumbled.

"I'm pretty certain you don't want to use my manly shampoo. Would like me to have Alice get some new stuff?" I asked.

She nodded and squeezed my waist. We stood there, not moving for a several minutes. "Bella?"

"I'm afraid, Edward," she said quietly.

"Of what, beautiful," I asked.

"That it's all a dream. That Jacob still has me and he's still alive. I'm so afraid," she sniffled. "You're the only one who makes me feel safe. Hearing your heartbeat proves to me that I'm awake and that I'm safe."

"Oh, Bella," I said as I squeezed her closer to me. "If I could do something to make what you feel go away, I would."

"Just hold me, Edward. Make me feel safe, please," she cried.

"I'll hold you for the rest of our lives," I answered. "Forever, Bella."

I faintly heard the buzzer near the front door. I tried to pull away, but Bella wouldn't budge. "Baby, there's someone at the door. I need to buzz them in."

Bella reluctantly let go of me, but laced her fingers with mine. We walked to the front door. "Hello?"

"Edward, my man! Can you buzz me in? I have Renee and Phil with me," Emmett boomed.

Bella rolled her eyes and curled next to me. "Hang on, Em," I said as I hit the appropriate button. I opened the door and led Bella into the living room onto the couch. I pulled a blanket and tucked her in. She gave me a pointed glare, which I returned, wrinkling my nose. "Prepare to be spoiled, beautiful."

"Hello?" Renee sang.

Bella groaned and grabbed my shirt. "Can we just hide ourselves in our bedroom? I really don't want to deal with her today."

"Sorry, baby," I said as I kissed her nose. I turned and greeted Renee and Phil. "Hi, everyone. How are you doing? How was the hotel?"

"It was wonderful. Remind me to thank your mom for the recommendation," Renee gushed. She sat down next to Bella and began fussing over her, adjusting the blanket and hugging her. Bella stiffly responded, obviously not wanting to be touched. "How are you doing, baby girl?"

"Fine, Mom," she said tersely. "I'm tired and sore still."

"Are Edward and Charlie taking good care of my baby?" she asked.

"They are both doing a great job," Bella said dryly.

"Would either of you like something to drink?" I asked.

"What are you offering?" Phil asked.

I nodded to the kitchen and opened the fridge. He plucked a beer from the door and grabbed a water bottle for Renee. Emmett watched Phil as he walked back to living room, giving Renee her water. I handed him a coke and plucked one for myself. "You and Bella are so much like your dad, it's funny."

"Yeah. Neither one of us have anything of Renee, personality-wise. We got her looks, but her flakiness, not so much," he admitted.

"Has she said anything about Bella's accident?" I asked quietly.

"She almost blamed Bella for the whole thing. She said that she led Jacob on and that her flirtatiousness caused him to become infatuated with her," Emmett seethed.

"What the fuck?" I fumed. "That's ludicrous."

"My mom is a sweet lady, but not all there in the head," Emmett said, making the 'cuckoo' gesture with his hand. "I'm not sure how my dad handled her. I guess that's why she left."

"We probably should save Bella," I said. We walked out and Bella gave me a grateful look. I sat down next to her, lacing my fingers with hers. I kissed her forehead. She laid her head on my chest, to hear my heart.

"So, Edward, Bella has told me that you guys have set a date for your wedding," Renee said with a touch of sarcasm in her voice. Charlie, who was sitting on a chair near the fireplace, grunted.

"Yeah, we have. August 13th," I answered.

"In four years?" she pressed.

"No, this year," I answered.

"Aren't you a little young to be getting married?" Renee asked, a frown marring her features.

"Mom! Stop it. Bella just woke up from a coma and you're pressing the two of them about being too young to be married," Emmett barked.

"What? It's a logical question," she answered.

"Renee, with all due respect, it's our decision to make," I answered.

"If you want me to help pay for the wedding, than I suggest you wait," she said, sitting back onto the couch, crossing her legs.

"Money is not an issue, Renee. We don't need your help to pay for the wedding," I snapped. Bella got up and darted to the bedroom. I heard the door slam.

"Good job, Mom. Why don't you just tell her not to get married? Could you be a little more insensitive," Emmett snarled.

"Renee now is not the time to bring up these things," Charlie said from his chair.

"This happened under your watch, Charles David Swan," she growled. "You gave Edward your blessing and now my baby is getting married. Is she pregnant?"

I took off my glasses and pinched my nose. This can't be happening. "No, Renee. She's not pregnant. If you excuse me, I have to check on my fiancée," I said as exited the living room. I knocked on the door of our bedroom. I heard Bella crying in the room. I pushed open the door and eased into the bed. Bella turned over and wrapped her arms around my waist, laying her head on my chest, still crying. I held her as she processed the hurtful words her mom had said. We lay there for an hour. Bella finally pulled away and sat up. She crossed her legs and looked at me.

"As much as I hate to admit it, my mom has brought up some good points. How are we going to pay for this wedding? I certainly don't have the money," she said quietly.

"Baby, don't worry about it. Please. I made a promise to you when I put that ring on your finger to take care of you. If that means that you get the wedding of your dreams, then that's what I'm going to do," I said fervently.

"Edward, don't," she said, cupping my face. "You don't have to prove anything to me. You shouldn't have to pay for our wedding because I have fucked up parents. It's wrong."

"No, Bella. The way your mom is treating you is wrong. Especially since what you've been through," I said, holding her tiny hands against my cheeks. "You deserve the best, like I've said before."

"And you are the best," she whispered, leaning forward to kiss my lips. She grimaced. "Ow."

"Take it easy, baby," I said. I heard a faint knock on the door. I pulled my face from Bella's soft fingers. I got off the bed and walked to the door. A very contrite Renee was standing in front of me.

"Can I come in? I want to apologize, to both of you," she said, looking at her fingers.

I moved aside and let Renee enter our bedroom. She sat down on the armchair near the bed. Bella looked at Renee warily. "What do you want to say now, Renee?" she seethed. "More insults. More insinuations. I loved the pregnant comment."

"Bella, I'm truly sorry. You know how I feel about getting married young," she began. "I was only 18 when Charlie and I got married."

"Because you were pregnant. With Emmett. Remember?" she snapped.

"You're right, Bella. However, I didn't want you to relive my mistakes," she said.

"Are you saying my relationship with Edward is a mistake? If you are, then I suggest you leave," she fumed.

"Bella. No, I would never say that. I can see how much you care for each other. You move with each other, like magnets. Where he moves, you move," she said.

"We more than just care for each other, Renee," Bella said. "We love each other. Hence, the wedding?"

"Right, I know."

"Renee, you need to know something. I love Bella with my mind, my body and my soul. She is my other half, truly. I would do anything for her, to ensure her safety, her happiness and well-being. When she was in her coma, I thought my heart would stop beating if she didn't wake up. I don't appreciate having my feelings for your daughter being questioned. Nor do I appreciate the insinuations you made earlier. I mean you no disrespect, but you are a guest in my home and have no right to speak to me or Bella in such a manner," I said calmly.

"You're right, Edward. I'm sorry. To both of you," she said as she got up. "I can see that we're no longer welcome, so I'm going to ask Emmett to take us back to the hotel."

Renee went to Bella and gently patted her hand. She snatched it away and turned her back on her mother. She looked at me with sadness in her eyes. I stared at her indifferently and held the door open for her. She left the room quietly and asked Emmett to drive her and Phil back to the hotel. Emmett grumbled but took them. I turned and looked at Bella. She was laying on my side of the bed, with her back to me.

"Bella?"

"Edward, can I just have some time to myself?" she asked.

"Of course. Do you need anything?" I responded.

"Can I have my ativan?"

"Of course, beautiful." I walked to the bathroom and pulled a pill from her prescription bottle. I filled up a glass that we kept in the bathroom and sat down next to Bella, holding out the tiny pill and water. She turned and took the pill without the water. "Let me know if you need anything, okay?"

She nodded and hugged her body, almost trying to keep herself together. I kissed her forehead and left the bedroom, shutting the door.

"Edward? I'm sorry about my ex-wife," Charlie said from the couch. "What she said was uncalled for and inappropriate. Phil, Emmett and I told her as such. We all but forced her to apologize."

"Charlie, it's not your fault," I said.

"I know, but I still feel bad," he said, with a frown. "She hurt my baby girl. Probably more than what Jacob did."

"She's very upset," I answered.

"I know. I've had to deal with the 'Renee' aftermath, before. It's not pretty. That woman, while she can be the most loving and sweet, can turn into the most cruel vindictive person on the planet."

"I just hope that she'll finally realizes that what Bella and I have is not some sort of 'crush,'" I said as I sank down on my couch.

"I think she does. She's too stubborn to admit it. She sees the love that you have for each other, but appears to be jealous of it," Charlie surmised.

"Why would she be jealous?" I asked, astonished.

"She wants what you and Bella have."

"She has Phil. He seems to be over the moon for her," I chuckled.

"But it's not 'fairy tale' love. You and Bella have 'fairy tale' love," Charlie clarified. "Love that conquers all and transcends all the bad shit."

"Oh. I never really thought of it like that," I whispered.

"Renee may have her doubts, but I don't. Ignore her. That's what I did the last few years of our marriage," Charlie said with a sardonic grin.

"I'll try." My phone chirped from my pocket of my pants. I pulled it out. I had a text from Emmett.

Renee and Phil are flying out tonight. They do not want to stay any longer – Em

That's probably a wise decision on their part – E

Phil ripped her a new one. He was fucking pissed at her – Em

Join the club. I like Phil better already – E

I'm going to take them to the airport and then I'm picking up Rose, Jas, and Alice. You want me to bring some dinner? – Em

Chinese? – E

Hmmmm...spring rolls. Perfect, Eddie! – Em

Damn it! Emmett! It's EDWARD – E

I'm just ruffling your feathers, EDDIE. See you later with food – Em

Thanks, Emmy – E

Fuck you, douche – Em

No thanks – E

I sat back on the couch and pulled a pillow behind my head. I closed my eyes and settled in for a nap. I didn't get the best night's sleep and needed some extra shut eye. I put my glasses on the coffee table and pulled the blanket that Bella had used earlier around my body. My mind became blank and I eventually drifted off into a deep sleep.

xx LC xx

My eyes fluttered open and I heard the apartment buzzer. I got up and walked to the intercom. "Hello?" I asked my voice rough with sleep.

"Eddie! It's Emmy. Let us in. We have food," Emmett boomed.

I buzzed them in and went back to the coffee table to grab my glasses after I propped the door open. I slipped into the bedroom and quickly brushed my teeth. Bella was still sleeping in our bed, soft snores coming from the mound of pillows. I closed the door and walked back out to the living room of the apartment.

"Where's Bella?" Alice chirped.

"She's sleeping," I said. "We've had a rough day."

"I'm sorry, Edward. I brought this for her," Alice said, holding a bag. I looked inside and there was a huge bottle of shampoo from the salon that she gets her hair cut.

"How did you know?" I sputtered. "I was going to call you to bring some new shampoo for Bella. She doesn't like the strawberry scent anymore."

"I had a feeling. It's very fresh smelling," Alice explained.

"Emmett told us what Renee did. I can't believe she had the gall to say those things," Rosalie said sadly. I led them into the living room.

"Neither did I. I was flummoxed, to be honest," I said.

Charlie came out when he heard the commotion. "Hey kids," he said uncomfortably.

"Everyone, this is my dad, Charlie Swan. Dad, this is Alice, Jasper and you know Rosie," Emmett introduced.

"Nice to meet all of you," Charlie said as he sat down. "How are you doing, Rose?"

"I'm good, Charlie. I wished we could have seen each other on better circumstances," she said sadly.

"Me, too. I smelled food," Charlie said with a grin.

"Yeah. I brought Chinese for everyone," Emmett said. "Edward, why don't you wake up sleeping beauty and we'll get the party started."

I nodded. I got up and walked to the bedroom. Alice was following me. "Alice, what are you doing?"

"I want to see my best friend," she said, with a pout.

"At least wait until she's coherent. You'll see her in a little bit," I chastised, turning her around and pushing her back to toward the kitchen. She stuck her tongue out at me and I flipped her off. I went into the bedroom and sat down next to the 'Bella-lump.' "Bella, time to wake up," I whispered.

"Don't wanna," she mumbled.

"If you don't wake up, you won't be able to sleep tonight," I said as I pulled down the covers. "Besides, Alice, Rose and Jasper are here. They want to see you."

Bella rolled over and looked at me; one eye squinted closed, with an adorable grimace on her face. "When did they get here?"

"Like five minutes ago," I said, brushing her hair from her face.

"Hmmm," she answered as she got out of the bed. She swayed and I quickly caught her.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Just a little dizzy. Got up too fast. Can you walk with me to the bathroom so I brush my teeth?" she asked.

"Of course, my love," I said as I snaked my arm around her waist. I stayed with her until her teeth were brushed and she pulled her hair back into a messy bun. She looked at me in the mirror. "What?"

"Are you going to watch me pee too?" she asked.

"No, baby. Call if you need me," I said as I closed the door. I stayed in the bedroom in case something happened. She walked out and rolled her eyes. "Can I help it if I worry?"

"No, Edward. Thank you for waiting," she said as she hugged me. She kissed my chest, right on my swan. I led her out into the living room where everyone had gathered. "Hey everyone."

Alice bounced up and ran to Bella, just stopping short of running her over. "I've missed you, Bella," she gushed as she threw her arms around Bella's neck, gripping her tightly.

"Alice. Relax," I warned.

"Sorry," she apologized. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm better. I still have a nasty headache and I'm sore everywhere. However, I'm alive and that's a good thing," she chuckled.

"That's a very good thing. I don't know if my brother would have handled it if you didn't make it," Alice said sadly, looking at me. I gave her a warning with my eyes, but she chose to ignore it. "Do you want something to eat?"

Bella nodded and Alice pulled her from my arms. She sat down next to Alice and was handed a plateful a food. Alice pointed to a spot on the floor near Bella and there was another plate of food for me. I sat down and dug into dinner. I inhaled all of it, making up for all the missed meals from earlier this week. Bella ate most of her meal. She gave me the rest, chastising me saying I was too skinny. I ate it without complaint as I was still hungry. After dinner, Alice and Rose did the dishes. Emmett set up a movie, some light fluffy movie to make our minds become mush. I moved back onto the couch and Bella settled next to me, laying her head on my chest. "I love you, Edward. Thank you," she said quietly.

"I love you, too, beautiful. You're welcome, although I don't know why you're thanking me," I said into her hair.

"Just for dealing with my shit and being there for me," she said, looking up at me. Her chocolate eyes were glistening with tears.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'll do anything for you, baby. Anything."

She smiled and leaned up. I brushed my lips against hers, eliciting a sigh from my beautiful girl. She gently ran her fingers across my cheek before turning her attention back to the movie. At some point, Bella must have drifted off to sleep, as she became heavier on my chest. When the movie ended, everyone left quietly. Rose and Alice kissed Bella on the cheek. Rose ruffled my hair as she walked past us. Jasper gave me a smile and ran his fingers through Bella's hair. She settled closer to me and gripped my waist tighter. Charlie let everyone out and headed to bed. He was catching a flight back to Seattle tomorrow early and needed to get some sleep. I whispered my goodnights and gingerly picked Bella up, carrying her to the bedroom. I changed into some pajamas and got into bed. Bella curled up against my chest and laid her head right over my heart. She mumbled that she loved me and wrapped her arms around me. I gently kissed her forehead and my own eyes drifted shut. Today was tough, but hopefully it was a step toward healing for my beautiful girl. I prayed that it was.

A/N: What do you think about Renee? Superbitch, right? She'll come around, I hope. Leave some love!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 441 28
MINE [first book] Bella is a freshman in an all girls College in Chicago, after being convinced to go to a party at the University of Chicago she the...
13.5K 876 40
Bella Swan starts her new life at college. When she left Phoenix to go to Seattle, Washington she had no friends, never had a boyfriend and she grew...
21K 766 31
They met at Emerson University, fell in love and began their journey. Four years after the release of their first single, Edward and Bella Cullen are...
11.7K 564 20
In the blink of an eye, your world can change. You can experience the greatest happiness ... or succumb to the world's worst pain, losing someone tha...