The Lost Princess ( The Compu...

By asatabardo

Joshua turn to get a closer view of, his stepmother? Can he even call her that she was younger than him! She... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Epilogue

Chapter 42

21.3K 877 68
By asatabardo

Prince Alejandro stared at the man before him under a blanket of long black lashes. How fortunate to have found the gentleman who can finally give him some answers. They had waited until the wee hours of the morning when the day was fresh to venture on land, it was a perfectly unknown timing for only about five guards were seen fighting to stay awake at the harbor. His men didn't had to do much to send them into dreamland. It was a strange feeling to be in a different atmosphere, language and amongst commoners, who didn't treated him with fake modesty and bow their heads every time he spoke or entered a room. For once in his life, he had felt free. But some countries remained the same, gossips travelled fast. It wasn't long before he caught up on the latest gossip which sent him into a fits of rage. The French were here and had captured his sister. Alejandro had no doubt that this Lady Fisher they spoke of was her. It took him less than five minutes to find out where her husband lived who seems to be a very popular man around here. A man who couldn't protect his own wife. He had mumbled, mounting his newly bought horse. Arriving at the young man's home, had took longer than he expected and the journey was a waste, when he wasn't at home. The loyal Butler refrained from giving him his master's whereabouts with disappointment he headed back into town, there he found out that Joshua Fisher was seen heading into the woods.

" Looks like you gentlemen had been busy tonight " his eyes averted to the other gentlemen in the room. The blond one was staring at him with contemplation while the other look rather bored and frustrated." With still no luck of finding my sister. It seems like you British are only good at stealing and not finding "  

Joshua had never met anyone of Halley's family. He was certain if she had a brother he would look exactly like the one before him whom he already despise. Why did he had to show up to complication things?  " don't tell me you travelled all this way to insult us?"

A smug smile slowly played across the Prince's face. " Oh You know exactly why I'm here" he leaned against the back of the sofa with his muscular arms folded.

" If you only think for one second that I would let you or anyone else take my wife away from me--"

" I didn't came here to asked for your permission Lord Fisher and what makes you think you can stop me when you couldn't even protect your own wife from the French! A wife whom the British-- your people-- kidnapped from her family and brought to England! "

Joshua's fist clenched. " she is my wife, legally she belongs here in England with her husband! I didn't know who she was before it was too late! I may not have a army but I would find her and I want to see you try and take her away from me!"

" and what a fine job you have been doing. How long had she been captured days, weeks? " his thick brows crunched. " clearly you haven't been making any progress "

"No shit captain obvious" David mumbled, earning a glare from Joshua.

" maybe when she's back in Spain she can marry someone who is more... progressive "

Jake who was contemplating in silence, grabbed hold of Joshua's arm before he could get all of them killed. " Joshua need I remind you that this guy's got an army " he said sternly, now standing in front of him. " not the smartest idea to get in a fight with him."

"You know what Jake I don't care! I'm tired of everyone invading my country to take my wife away from me! While insulting me!" He moved his gaze to stare at the Prince with hatred who waved his hand in the air at the few men in the room who had drawn their pistols at them, to refrain from such. " you disrespect me like that again  prince or not I'll beat your ass." Running his hands through his silky hair he took a deep breathe and walked to the cottage's small window.

" How did you know she was here?" Jake asked the one question that had been on his mind for the past few minutes. Did the Spaniards have alleys in British?

" A gentleman contacted my father, inform us that his daughter was alive living in his country and he would return her to us in exchange of gold coins" Alejandro had remembered the shock look on his father's face before he broke down in sobs claiming his wife was right all along. He had instantly believed this impostor mostly because his mother had always believed her daughter was still alive and would find a way back to them. He prayed that this lady was his sister, his father had been through so much in the past after losing his daughter and then his wife. It would enlightened and change his life, if he returned with her alive.

Jake pinched the bridge of his nose. " This gentleman wouldn't be a viscount by chance, named Lord Barkson?"

The prince eyes widen. " that's his name--"

"Even in death the man's a nuisance!"

"He is dead?"

Jake nodded. " He was working for the French until he got greedy"

"I don't know why you're entertaining this guy Jake" David mumbled from where he now reclined in a vacant armchair, his head pressed against the back of the chair with his eyes closed.

The prince sighed standing to his feet. He wasn't welcome here, that was clear and witnessing he had already made an enemy of the man he was hoping to depend on. No use wasting more time.  " I was hoping we could have work together to find my sister but I am only wasting my time here." he turned his gaze from the gentlemen and address his men. " Vamos!"

"Wait!" Jake interposed, causing the prince to halt in his steps. " can I have a few seconds with my friends?" The prince mulled the thought in his head for a few seconds and  nodded.

Jake pulled David from his seat, earning an protest from his friend across to where Joshua stood looking like he was vexed at the entire world. Which in fact he was.  " What are you doing Jake? You can't seriously be considering helping that guy!" Helping the very man who vow to take his wife away from him was ludicrous!

" I am .....look just listen to me" he pleaded, when his friend was about to protest." Haven't you notice how fast these men were able to track you down? They did it in mere hours when we took like days to find a Frenchman. I'm not implying that you have to have to like the man all we have to do is stay close to him, let him lead us to Halley---"

"And my wife"

"Yes and Jennifer as well as Samantha when that happens we would take the ladies, have the British army eliminate these foreigners, then bam! we go back to what we do best attending balls and taking care of estates."

"I agree plus that man's got an army " David smirked.

"Joshua?" Jake knew his friend was stubborn and it would take a lot more convincing than David. Jake's idea was brilliant, the only problem was working with a man he wanted to beat to the pub, prince or not, the man's intolerable.

"No" Joshua knew how  the Spaniards found him. He was popular in a town full of gossipers. They were doing just fine searching for the ladies...weren't they?

Jake sighed resting his hands on Joshua's shoulders. " You love Halley don't you? And I'm sure she feels the same way about you Josh. What makes you think she would agree to go anywhere with a stranger claiming to be her brother?" Jake raised his eyebrows seeking an answer, he already knew. Jake held his breath awaiting Joshua to say something......anything. He could tell his friend was deep in his own little world of decision making by the way he squirt his eyes, staring at absolutely nothing. "You know what they say Joshua, Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. "

"You're right" Jake wanted to jump with joy but retorted to a nod instead. Joshua wasn't certain how Halley felt towards him when she left that evening, she didn't came to say goodbye after not speaking to him for days. The only thing he was holding on to was the smile she give him before climbing in the carriage. I hope that meant something. " but I can't promise you that I wouldn't punch the guy if he disrespect me again or if I felt like."

"Agreed"

***

Maybe Martin already went to bed?

Jake entered his home after a long night with his friends and a few of the Spaniards that hadn't stayed at the cottage. After giving the prince a briefing of the events that happened leading up to this night. They had called it a night, Katherine would already be asleep so the prince would have to wait until morning to question her about the street urchin. Jake didn't like the idea of getting his fiancée involved just as much as he didn't like strangers invading his privacy. His house wasn't the largest out of his friends but it did had less servants that didn't speak everything they saw. With a frown he stood in the middle of the foyer and turned facing the men behind him. " Looks like Martin is already asleep so you gentlemen would have to get settled in by yourselves. The bedrooms upstairs--" Jake halted in his speech at the blank expression he was receiving and turned to the amused Prince. " let me guess they don't speak English? "

The Prince shook his head negatively. " Only Monty." The fellow who almost shot Jake when he climbed out of the tree give him a slight nod. " don't worry I'll inform them of what you said." After a few seconds, the men were heading upstairs. The stomping of their feet against the floor was enough to wake the house.

" You couldn't have tell them to be more quite? " Jake sigh before taking the steps two at a time. David soon followed after realizing what had just happen. His mind seems to  wander off a lot since the incident. He didn't wanted those Spaniards to take his room.

"Lord Fisher" Joshua slowly turned on the bottom of the staircase, his eye moved from where Alejandro's hand was rested on his shoulder to the man in front of him. Alejandro was almost frightened by the look he received and like fire had burned him. He released his hold on Joshua and took a step back. " I know when we met it wasn't pleasant. The last thing I want is another enemy from the British--"

" Apology is not accepted"

Alejandro eyebrows creased at Joshua's retrieving form. " I wasn't going to apologized! " he never apologized, especially to a British. " I was going to tell you that you are free to accompany your wife to Spain.....if you like" he folded his arms and smirked when Joshua halted in his steps. Alejandro didn't mind his brother in law tagging along, once his sister got reunited with his father. That's all that matter.

" What part of my wife not going to Spain don't you understand! Mi esposa no va a españa! I agree to work with you but you're making this very difficult for me...." His knuckles sunk into the wooden railing. " why does everyone want to take away the only  woman I love from me" he shut his eyes and took a deep breath.

Alejandro sighed, he knew the feeling of losing someone you love. That's why he suggested he accompanied them. He was a stubborn one. Alejandro had saw the empty, scared and protectiveness  in his blue eyes when announced that he came for his wife. He love her. " Josh..." His sentence was cut short when a loud crash was heard on the other side of the house. " What was that?" He raised a brow at Joshua who was staring at the direction the nose came from.

" Sounds like it's coming from the servants Lodge "

***

"David I'm not giving you any liquor. You're already acting like a drunkard as it is"

" I'm not drunk" David protest falling in steps behind Jake after securing his room while Jake was busy unlocking a few doors for the men.

" That's exactly what a drunkard would say" he chuckled, pushing his bedchamber door opened. What he saw next caused his entire body to froze in shock and the air seems to abandoned his lungs. "Edward?" Jake felt to his feet, his trembling hands slowly crawled to where his cousin's body lay sprawled out on the floor, blood surrounding him like water. " Edward please don't be dead! Oh god no, Edward wake up! " Jake cried cradling Edward's head to his chest while David rushed to inform the others. " I'm sorry Edward! I'm sorry I wasn't there to protect, I swear whoever did this to you--"

"Kkk-"

"Edward!" Jake quickly pulled away to starred at his cousin's pale face who were mumbling incoherent words. He was still alive! " shhh..Eddy don't try to speak! " his blurry eyes found the red spot at the side of his cousin's waistcoat. Jake quickly took off his own waistcoat, folding it into a bundle he pressed it against the wound.

"Ssshe...shot me" Edward began to trembled, his blue eyes now look dull and weary. "Kat..rine!" Jake couldn't believe his ears. His fiancée had shot his cousin! Why?  Edward coughed, more blood escaping his mouth. " Edward! " Jake shook him to opened back his eyes but he didn't " Edward  please don't leave me!"

Jake didn't tried to hid his tears at the approaching footsteps. " Where is the bloody doctor! " Joshua stood with his back pressed against the doorframe. Not in his life had he seen so much blood. Edward wouldn't make it. He looked dead already!

" The doctor is still out of town, my Lord " his Butler announced making his presence known.

Jake eyes darken. "Someone better get me a doctor in the next five minutes before I go mad!" His body shook with rage.

"Jake he lost to much blood! He wouldn't make it!" Joshua shook his head with a sad expression.

"No he is still breathing" the Prince replied taking his finger from the young man's neck. " very slowly.... help me undress him, " he gestured to David. "  he doesn't deserve to spend his last breaths on the cold floor."

"He not going to die tonight because we have someone with medical skills in this room" he turned to Joshua whose eyes turned wide as a saucer.

"I-i can't ...I'll never took a bullet out of anyone! I only know how to dress a wound! I am not a doctor! "

"There's always a first" his voice was stern when Joshua didn't move. Jake did something he had never done before.

"Jake what are you doing put down the pistol!"

"Stay out of this David!"

" If you don't move in the next minute--"

"Ladies" the prince called after getting Edward out of his bloody clothes and in bed. " I hate to interrupt your little bonding but there is a young man running out of time here."

Josh made his way to where Edward lay on the bed. He saw the look in Jake's eyes he wasn't jesting. He was scared of losing the only family he got left. Edward's entire body was white as the sheet that covered him. Pulling the chair beside him, he sat in front of Edward. He wasn't a doctor sure he wanted to be one many years ago but that dream was cut short. He never did any practical work, dressing wounds are what he learned from books and off his own.

He took a deep breathe. I'll need to get something to take out the bullet. A knife perhaps, yes!

Or scissors?

"Joshua what the hell are you doing start working! " Jake yelled, the pistol now resting on his desk. What was he thinking pointing a gun at his friend! " Joshua hurry up!"

"Joshua what do you want me to get?" David questioned standing behind his Friend. " the Butler has already gone to boil some water. Do you need some herbs, knife--"

"Everyone shut the hell up! I can hardly hear myself think!" Joshua pinched the bridge of his nose composing himself. He give them a list of things he would need to extract the bullet and treat the wound, when those were gathered he ordered everyone out of the room. He needed to be alone to concentrate. Edward was fighting to stay alive and he was going to help him. Even if he didn't know what the hell he was doing!

***

Jake reclined in the drawing room with a glass of whiskey in his hand. His eyes red and puffy from constant crying. He couldn't remembered the last time a tear escaped his eyes. Not even at his uncle's funeral, the man who had took him in like his own son when his parents died. He was an honorable man. Jake lifted the glass to his lips. He promised he would take care of Edward. He failed, instead he allow a crazy woman in his home to destroy everything he ever loved.

Katherine. Just when he was ready to settle down and have a family of his own. Not only did she ripped out his heart and stumped on it, she hurt his cousin, almost killed him! Lock his servants in their lodge and freed the prisoner. His hands tighten around the empty glass. How quickly love can turn into hatred. He should have listen to Edward when he warned him about Katherine's unladylike traits. " Oh Edward please don't die" his hands buried his face as his body began to shook. He was a terrible cousin and friend. No wonder Katherine betrayed him.

A loud pounding sounded at the door, not waiting for an answer. The door creaked opened to reveal a young lady, features concealed by a hooded coat. Her eyes travelled through the room and stopped at the sight of him.  Her body began to shook. Jake rose to his feet with a frowned. " Who are you?"

"Lord Clairwood! I'll been jilted and I haven't even made it to the altar yet! " Jake body still when the young stranger launched for him, her gripped like a tight rope around his abdomen as she began to sobbed. " He was supposed to meet me outside in the gardens an hour ago but he never showed. He doesn't love me as I had thought now I have no where else to go! I hate him!"

Who was this lady talking about? Jake rolled his eyes maybe she got the wrong house. But she knew his name. Jake hand slowly reached up to pull back the cloak. Forest green eyes stared at him with tears, her hair was a golden shade with thick curls falling at her back. Where had he see this girl before? Then it struck him like someone had burned his hand. "Victoria?"

She took a step back, fingers entwining nervously. " I didn't mean what I just said I don't hate Edward....Oh I'm so confused I can't go back home, father had planned to send me away from him. Please can't I stay here maybe he would returned to see you after all you are his only cousin. You haven't by chance see him?" She rambled.

Christ! This was too much to take in in one night! His cousin had planned to elope, now he was upstairs barely breathing and to top things off his lover was here accusing him of jilting her. He poured himself another glass of whiskey.

" You have seen him, haven't you?" Victoria narrowed her eyes at the Duke. He was hiding something or someone. She didn't want to believed that Edward had abandoned her. They had agreed to elope. She heard of men having second thoughts when it came to weddings and eloping. Bullshit! " If he is here stowing away...I'll kill him."

"I'm afraid someone had already tried"  David entered the room, just as the glass slipped from Jake's hand. Jake cursed when Victoria slowly took steps backwards towards the door. The last thing Edward wanted was a weeping lady hovering over his body.

"Victoria please have a seat, so we can discussed Edward's whereabouts" his smile and cracked voice wasn't convincing at all.

"You're lying!" She pointed a finger at him. " you an Edward give that same half smile when you lie! And what did your friend just said about someone had already tried.. " her voice cracked and Jake could see the tears falling off her cheeks. " he is hurt isn't he?" She should have know Edward wouldn't abandoned her like that.

" David stop her! " David who was closer to Victoria, raised his hands in surrender allowing Victoria to blot through the door.

"What for? She might be just what Edward need to fight to stay alive"

"You fool! What if it was you up there would you  have liked if Jennifer saw you in that state?" Jake stomped out of the room.

" Yes I would have liked to be surrounded with the people I love, " David fell in steps behind him. " before I die!"

"Yes, I'm sure listening to your wife weeping would surely make you wish you were dead" Jake mumbled, reaching the top of the stairs. Arriving at his bedchamber, Jake leaned against the doorframe with his hands folded, watching as Victoria cuddle under the sheet with his cousin. Her sobs were like a whisper in the quiet room. This was inappropriate, he should sent for her father but Edward would be mad at him, no doubt about it. He love her. It wouldn't hurt having Victoria spending the night. Not like she planned to leave anytime soon. He sighed watching as her eyes fought to stay open. Jake closed the door behind him making a decision. If Edward got out of this alive, he would made sure they got married the proper way.

"David go to your bedchamber!" He glared at his friend, he almost bumped into. The guy seems to be on the patrol. He should placed him as one of the guards outside. " we aren't children anymore, you don't have to follow me everywhere. It's annoying! "

" I can't sleep Jake besides you're the only one that's awake. Joshua locked me out of his bedchamber after he finished with Edward. " he sighed. " I feel so lonely and restless without my wife. "

"Come on then, I don't feel like sleeping tonight either "

David give his friend a sad smile. " I'm sorry about Katherine " Katherine was the first lady Jake had took seriously. It was shocking to know she was working for the French. Who would have thought that the weird, crazy Katherine was the enemy? She was an brilliant actress.

Jake didn't replied instead he continued walking towards the study leaving David to follow.

***

Was in a debate with myself whether I should let Edward die but I believe I made a great decision not to can't let Katherine win!

You guys like the chapter? No? Yes? Maybe? What the hell is this? Lmao ......

Don't forget to vote and comment ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

591K 34.3K 36
{WATTYS 2020 WINNER} {FEATURED BOOK} Paris, 1663. 500 girls selected by King Louis XIV embark on a journey across the seas from their homeland. Each...
150 16 17
"sometimes the secret we keep are the heaviest burdens we carry. SECRETS of pain, of struggle, of love and loss. But when we want the most closest pe...
5.9K 1.3K 51
"Do you have anything to say?" He shook his head, but never shifted his gaze from her face. "Well then, what do you want?" She snapped, tired of his...
919 47 24
"You aren't a distraction. You can never be you know" he said looking at me with enamoured eyes. "What makes you think so? " I asked. "You ar...