What It Seems | Wattys 2023

By kayleeix

Adalynne Claire finds an old family photo album filled with pictures from her childhood. She holds hardly any... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Epilogue
Sequel (PLEASE READ!!!)

Chapter 9

7.9K 225 26
By kayleeix

The plane began to shake. The oxygen masks flew from the ceiling, warning every passenger on this plane to grab a mask. Everyone was in panic mode, me especially. "

Daddy," I cried. I looked around my area, wondering what in the world was going on.

I watched as my dad snatched the mask down to my level. "Put this on!" he shouted into his air mask. I did as he told me by placing the mask over my nose and mouth and clasped the band around my head.

"Daddy, what's happening?" I screamed in fright. I could feel the plane's motion going in circles and I became extremely dizzy and nauseous. A loud noise was heard when the plane jerked violently. I felt my body being shaken constantly.

My dad held onto my arm tightly as he possibly could. It seemed as if the whole world had come crashing down on us. A big limb darted into the plane, and in that moment, I knew we were caught in trees.

"I love you baby girl," Daddy said. I didn't get the chance to say it back as I felt my head crashing against the window, busting it with the compact of my head.

"Adalynne, you're dreaming. Wake up," the unfamiliar face looked at me. In that moment, I didn't recognize the face at all. My body shook tremulously, and my throat was aching. My chest hurt, as if my heart was being ripped from my chest. My face felt sticky, and I tasted salt. My eyes were blurry. Once I could see clearly, I realized it wasn't my brother, it was Baylor. What was he doing here? And where's Aiden?

I remembered Aiden was in New York and Baylor had fallen asleep on the couch.

"Are you okay?" he asked. I nodded slowly; my eyes glued shut from the headache. My throat was burning, and my head was aching so badly.

"Where's my phone?" I croaked. I know Aiden said to call him when I had another nightmare, so I needed to.

"It's on your nightstand," he answered. His body reached over me. "Here."

I took my phone out of Baylor's gestured hand. I unlocked my phone, my eyes squinting shut from the brightness. I fumbled with my phone, trying to dial Aiden's number. Baylor noticed and slowly took my phone out of my hands. He dialed the number for me. Baylor held it out once again and I took the phone. I held my cell to my ear and listened to the dialing tone. It went straight to voicemail.

I placed my phone on my nightstand and wiped the tears that were already forming in my watery eyes. I needed my brother. I needed him to comfort me, telling me he's here. I need his protection to hold me from slipping into that same haunting nightmare.

A hand was running up and down my back. The bed shifted on my left with added weight on my side. I was pulled into Baylor's side, under the bend of his arm.

"I'm here for you." There's no telling how long we stayed in that position, but all I felt was comfort.

"Will you be okay? I think I'm gonna head to my house," Baylor muttered. His hand stopped running up and down my back.

I nodded my head, not wanting to be a burden on him. He needed to go home to rest anyway.

"You sure? Because I can st -" I didn't let Baylor finish before I interrupted him. Now, I was sure.

"Please stay," I mumbled against his warm radiant shirt.

"Okay, well I'll be in the living room if you need anything."

"You can stay in here." I didn't want him to go anywhere because I still wanted him here. Even though he's been here for minutes already, I still wanted Baylor here to let myself know that I'm okay.

"I mean you don't have to if you don't want to. . ." I didn't want to say I wanted him to stay even if I did.

"Of course," he answered simply. I didn't know about him, but I felt awkward. I've never had any other guy sleep in my bed with me in it.

I ran my hand through my hair, realizing that it was still in the bun. Baylor walked on the other side of my bed and sat on top of the comforter. He leaned his back against the headboard and crossed his long legs. I rotated my body fully to face him.

"You're not tired?" I quizzed. He mumbled a "sorta" under his breath, just liable for me to hear.

"You don't have to do this - sleep in here, I mean. I just thought you'd be comfortable in a bed, so I offered." I was lying straight through my teeth.

He softly smiled reassuringly. "It's fine."

I pulled my comforter over my shoulder and laid my head on my pillow. The presence of Baylor remained, and I could feel his eyes lingering on me.

"Hey Adalynne?" I heard Baylor's voice questioningly. I craned my head, barely looking at him.

"Yeah?"

"What happened right there?" I felt his finger scurry over the top of my spine. Right where he touched me, I felt goosebumps rise from his contact with my skin.

"I had spine surgery last year 'cause I had scoliosis," I admitted. I always thought that it was embarrassing to have scoliosis, but I was half asleep and it was only Baylor that was asking me.

"Did it hurt?"

I shook my head. "No, they put me to sleep. I grew three inches though."

He laughed slightly. "You're still short."

I chuckled while I scolded him. "Shut up."

I yawned and pulled the corner of my bedding under my cheek. I was smiling and hoping he didn't notice as it was uncontrollable. Maybe Baylor wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be. Maybe he's the good type to be around.

"I thought your hair was blonde," Baylor announced. "Did you dye it permanently or something?"

I giggled, "No, it just changed colors throughout the years. You've missed out on a lot, haven't you?" I suggested. I craned my head and looked back at him. He had his head propped on the inside of his elbow, his hand supporting his head. He wasn't propped against my headboard anymore; he was just lying beside me. His long legs sprawled out all the way at the foot of my bed and his face was drawn from exhaustion. His lips were curled into an innocent smile, and I just realized he had dimples. He looked like a four-year-old.

"You look tired," I added. Of course, I wasn't going to add 'and cute' along with that line, but I had to admit, he did. His pale-looking face from the cold throughout the room and tiredness seeking through his body made the color in his face fall away. His eyes were barely held open, yet he still smiled and talked.

"I am." This time, he yawned and closed his eyes.

"Are you cold?" I asked. He shrugged. Insistingly, I tugged at the comforter beneath him, and he shifted. He pulled the comforter just up to his waist. I could tell he was uncomfortable just by lying in the same bed as me.

"I'm your best friend's sister, not a stranger. I don't care if you sleep in here. If you don't fart in your sleep, you'll be fine. And this bed is comfortable, I promise."

He already had his head lying on my extra pillows and the bedding was pulled up to his chest. He was on the other side of my bed, and it seemed like there was a whole landscape between our two bodies.

"It's not that I'm uncomfortable, it's just that . . . you're Aiden's little sister and I have to be careful around you."

Be careful around me?

"What do you mean you have to be careful around me? I'm just his sister," I acknowledged.

"I know, it's just . . . you're different. Since I'm Aiden's friend and other than you, I'm the only person he trusts with his life. If I were to hurt his little sister, he'd kill me."

Why would he hurt me anyway?

"You're only Aiden's friend. You're not a serial killer or some physco, so . . . okay, I can't think. I'm tired." I turned off my lamp on my nightstand beside me. A soft laugh escaped his lips.

"Goodnight, Adalynne."

***

When I woke up the next morning, the sun was rolling in and my alarm clock going off, I realized I wasn't alone in my bed. My own head wasn't even on my pillow. A hard, yet comfy surface was my head's pillow. Half of my body was lying on this person's body. I stared down my lengthy bed and my legs were intwined with a pair of long legs. Two arms were wrapped securely around me. A string of snores was traveling throughout my ears and I saw a familiar face, eyelids glued shut. The side of his cheek was against my forehead.

School.

I know I'm late; I can already feel it. When I wake up, the sun isn't rolling in. Instead, when I wake up, it's still dark outside.

"Aye, Baylor? You here?" I heard a voice call out. Aiden.

What to do. What to do. What to do.

"Baylor," I whispered while shaking him. He wouldn't wake and his grip on me remained sturdy.

"Baylor," I whispered louder. Footsteps were heard close by my door.

"Baylor," I finally said loudly. He stirred, and just before he woke completely, my hopes were given up.

"What the hell!" Aiden hollered. My eyes were the size of saucers and Baylor's grip on me loosened. He sat up as well as I and rubbed his eyes.

"What? Man, I was sleeping good," Baylor groaned. He trailed his fingers down his hair, making it messier than it already was. I got up from my bed and walked past Aiden, who was staring like a papa bear ready to pounce.

"Sleeping good, my ass!" Aiden screeched. "What did you two really do while I was gone?" I walked to the living room, only to realize that I had left my phone in my room. I checked the digital clock on the wall, and it read 11:58 PM. As soon as I understood what Aiden was hinting at, Baylor spoke.

"No dude, I didn't sleep with your sister," Baylor said. They walked up the hallway to the dining room. Baylor was half asleep and Aiden was angry. I can't believe Aiden would think I would sleep with his best friend.

"What in the hell were y'all doing in the same bed together, then?" Aiden asked, looking between the both of us.

"Oh my gosh, Aiden. Would you shut up already?" This time I was getting angry.

Baylor had a look of amusement plastered on his face. Of course, he found this funny. There's honestly no telling what's running through his mind right now.

"Adalynne, you were in the same bed! All cuddled and shit, and both of your hair is a mess!" His evidence is pathetic.

"Aiden, really? Both of us are still clothed - fully clothed. And our hair is a mess? We just woke up!" I screamed. "You're so ignorant."

The front door closed, and there went Baylor. Great.

I changed into some ripped jeans and a graphic t-shirt. I slid on some shoes and took my hair out of the bun on top of my head. I was so mad; I didn't even put on makeup. Instead, I grabbed my phone from my nightstand and my earphones from my dresser. I plugged my earphones into my phone and went to iTunes and hit the play button.

I stormed out of the apartment quickly.

***

I was already on the other side of town, the side of the town that's down in ruins. It looked like this place was owned by criminals. It was just the vibe I got from this side of the city.

I was about to turn around until I heard a loud crash down one alleyway. It was nearby and I let my curiosity get the best of me. I was already heading down the alley, only one light illuminated the dark alleyway. It looked like one of those cliché alleys - the ones you see in crime movies.

When I heard another crash, I hurried behind a garbage bin and hid. I listened to the constant motion.

"I've done told you to stop getting in my way," a raspy voice overtook the scene. More crashing noises were heard.

"Leave her alone. Go after another someone else, she's off limits." A bang was heard, and I listened to a moan escape from Baylor's lips. I knew it was him by the sound of his voice and his accent.

"What do you want with Adalynne?" He breathed.

"I've done told you millions of times."

"She was mine. You're nothing but a little bitch. Pathetic. How could you think a girl like her could like you? You're nothing but weak."

I peeked just enough to see what's going on. Baylor was held on the paved ground, his neck covered with two hands wrapped tightly around his neck. He was struggling for breath.

"Hey." My brother's familiar voice rang through the air. His figure stood darkly on the other side of the alley. Derek's head turned to face Aiden and his grip on Baylor released slowly. Aiden picked up a glass bottle from the ground and aimed it at Derek. Derek pushed himself up from the ground.

"Adalynne, take Baylor to the hospital."

I stood from the ground. He must've followed me here. Aiden looked at me and nodded his head, telling me to go along.

I walked swiftly towards Baylor who was breathing sharply from the pain.

"Cat got your tongue, Derek?" Aiden laughed. He took a blow to Derek's jaw.

"C'mon Baylor, I don't want to watch this." I hated seeing my brother fight. I know at times he had a kind heart and other times he didn't, but times like these were so brutal and he didn't look like the Aiden I knew.

"You shouldn't have come here," Baylor scolded, his hand shifting to his stomach.

"I should've told you the same thing."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

230 15 10
4 months ago Nora Willson witnessed her parents death and everything changed. New house, new family and her picture perfect relationship with her boy...
39.7K 887 70
"My heart is torn between two. I love them both. I have to let one go" . . Jazmin thought she found everything she could've imagined in her boyfrie...
10M 514K 43
|| Featured FREE story with exclusive paid chapters - previously a paid story || When Haley discovers the truth behind Xavier, whose silence holds a...
244K 14.1K 47
"What do you want Xavier?" I said getting irritated. "For you to give me a chance to explain myself." "There's no need to explain anything to me, we...