Chasing Mr. Carlton ( The sto...

By egeecotton

NOTE: I don't have a cover for this story yet- anyone wanna take a whack at it? Bobby Darling had her eyes on... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
One Summer...
2
3
4
5
End

Part 26

214 11 0
By egeecotton

"Have you ever met Tyler Most before?" Bobby asked as she leaned against the wall next to Matt. 

They'd arrived only five minutes before to FINA and receptionist informed them that someone would be downstairs to greet them shortly. 

"Nope. My father did, once about two years ago but I wasn't around." Matt said. 

"I wonder what he's like." Bobby said, recalling how very attentive he always was over the phone.

"Do you want me to google him?" Matt asked with a grin.

"No, thank you." Bobby said seriously. "Besides, we're about to meet him- what's the point?"

"Guess you're right." Matt said with a shrug. 

Bobby had a long night- it was never easy for her to fall asleep in a strange place.  She'd tossed and turned most of the night- and she kept waking up confused about where she was. The bed was, however; very comfortable which made it even harder to get out of the it that morning. 

She was sure she looked like death and for some reason it bothered her that Matt should see her that way. 

"Good Morning." 

They both looked up and noticed a pretty young woman walking in their direction. 

"Good Morning." Matt said with a smile, moving forward and extending his hand. 

"You must be Mr. Carlton." She said, shaking it firmly before turning to Bobby. 

"Yes. This is my assistant, Robert Darling." He said as the woman extended her hand to her. 

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Annie Walsh, Mr. Most's assistant. If you two would just follow me, he's waiting for us upstairs." Annie said, turning and heading towards the elevator. 

Bobby walked quietly, noting how easily Matt seemed to speak to Annie. It wasn't unusual, Matt was always quiet at ease with new people, especially pretty women. She thought with some humor that it was a good thing Lisa didn't come, or she would be fuming. 

"This way." Annie said as they stepped off the elevator. 

Bobby looked around the open floor of FINA- she'd read up on it before coming and knew that the 30 or so employees she saw right now were nothing compared to their total number, which was closer to 28,000 employees. She also read that Tyler Most, the company's current President and CEO had bought the company out from the previous owners, who had retired to Eastern Europe. Tyler had then split the company in two, sold half and redesigned the part he kept... and all of this before she was even in high school. 

Now, she was about to meet the man himself. She looked around, noting the laid back atmosphere and that large amount of young people who were employed there. FINA was also famous for it's company culture which instilled the idea of 'playing' into everyday life, which was why she wasn't surprised by the area in the back with several chairs, a giant TV and a PlayStation. 

Annie stopped at a large double door down the center of the floor and tapped her fist light against it. 

"Come in." The words were barely audible as Annie pushed the doors open. 

"Mr. Most- Mr. Carlton and Ms. Darling have arrived." Annie said, signalling for them to walk in. 

Bobby entered before Matt, but kept closer to his side as they approached the large desk where Tyler Most was now standing. 

She was surprised when she saw him- he would be close to 45 now but he didn't look much older than Matt. 

"Matt Carlton- It's a pleasure to finally meet you." Tyler said, approaching him with a smile and stretching out his hand. Of course, Matt met him with the same and two greeted each other much like old friends. 

"Same- I can't believe it's taken us this long." Matt said, turning to Bobby. "My assistant, Robert Darling. You've spoken to her several times, I believe."

Tyler turned to Bobby who was standing quietly, the same seriousness she usually portrayed coming through. 

"Of course- You're Bobby." He said with a smile, taking her hand. 

"Yes." Bobby said as he shook it lightly. 

"I have to say- I was dying to meet the pleasant voice on the line that always bullies me into getting what she wants." Tyler said with a smile and making Matt chuckle. 

"That would make two of us." He said, looking over at Bobby and noticing she was blushing. 

"You two are teasing me." She said, shaking her head. "it's not fair."

Tyler nodded. 

"No, it's not. It's also not fair that you're working at Lida and Volstack when I'd love to have you here." He said and Matt shook his head. 

"Nope, she's vital to us." Matt said. 

"I know. Please, take a seat." Tyler said, pointing to the chairs by his desk. 

---

Eventually, Bobby was shown to a small, unoccupied office by Annie, the assistant, and she was told that she and Matt could use this office for the duration of the visit. 

Matt remained in a meeting with Tyler, while Bobby sought out to make the office a bit more comfortable and ensure they had everything they needed. She knew that because time was scarce, they would be very busy. As she logged onto her email from the computer she'd brought along, she realized there was a lot of meetings scheduled in. 

She was in the middle of making her list when Matt finally made an appearance and shut the door behind him. 

"Hey." Bobby said, looking up from the smaller desk she'd set herself up on.  "How'd it go?"

Matt sighed, moving around to get to the chair behind the larger desk. 

"He's playing hard ball." Matt said, closing his eyes for a moment. 

"We knew he would? Did you hand him the forms?" Bobby asked. 

"Yes and he handed me back some revisions." He said, holding out the folder to Bobby. 

Bobby raised her brows as she shuffled through the pages. 

"Most of this is okay... but number 8 and number 12 seem...." She began and Matt finished. 

"Unreasonable." 

"Definitely. You're going to push back, right?" Bobby asked, standing and moving towards Matt. 

"Of course. We have a meeting in..." He began but this time Bobby completed his sentence.

"Half an hour. I have everything ready." She said. Bobby could see the stress on Matt's face- she knew what Tyler could be like but she also knew that Matt could definitely get him to give in if he just put on the old charm. 

She reached out, placing a hand on Matt's shoulder for a second and patting him lightly. 

"Do you want some coffee?" She asked. "A soda, anything?" 

Matt was leaning on his elbow, staring down at some forms. 

"Coffee, please." He said, without turning to look at her. 

"Right away." Bobby said, moving her hand away but she stopped when she felt him grab it. 

Bobby turned to Matt in surprise. 

"You have no idea how good it feels to know you're here with me." He said, without looking at her. 

"Don't worry- it'll work out." She said, unsure of what else she could possibly say. Bobby gave his hand a squeeze before she slipped her hand away and sighed. 

"Now, you get ready for the meeting while I get your coffee and then I'll go over those changes." Bobby said, walking to the door and smiling at him. 

Matt stared at her as she left the room, thinking it really was a comfort to have her nearby. 

Bobby walked across the floor and moved towards the coffee room that Annie had shown her earlier. It was a large room, no table but a long L shaped bar with plenty of stools for people to sit at. There was also a counter running along the middle.  

She'd noticed earlier that most of the people working here seemed pretty young but she hadn't realized that she was older than most people here as Tyler liked to hire recent graduates. 

"Bobby- i was hoping to get a moment with you." 

Bobby turned around as she pressed the button on the coffee machine. 

"Mr. Most." She said with a smile. "Your offices are really nice."

"Now, Bobby- how many times have I told you to call me Tyler?" He asked with a smile. 

"Okay, Tyler." Bobby said, turning back as she prepared the coffee.

"I have to say, I really was looking forward to meeting you." He said. 

"I hope you're not disappointed." She said simply and he laughed. 

"Of course not, you're exactly how I pictured you- adorably severe." He said. Bobby smiled.

"No one has ever put it like that before." She said, turning to move out of the break room. 

"But I'm sure everyone is thinking it, especially with those big brown eyes." Tyler said. "They're quite pretty."

"I'm sure you say that to all the assistants." She said.

"Only the ones I really like." He said. Bobby didn't turn to look at him but if she had she might have stared dumbfounded. Was he flirting?

"Thank you, for having us." Bobby said, not sure what to respond to him. 

"Thank you for coming." he replied as they approached the office door. 

"I've read about your company- you have a very unique and modern office culture." She said, looking around at the young people. 

"I like to give young people a chance. Do you know how many employers demand 5+ years experience for an entry level job? Hardly seems fair." Tyler said. Bobby smiled. 

"I know." She said, turning towards the door. "If you'll excuse me, I have to prep for our meeting."

"Of course." Tyler said with a nod. "Bobby?"

"Yes?" Bobby asked, turning back for a second. 

"You and... Matt and you... you're not...." Tyler began but Bobby blushed and shook her head. 

"No. We're not." She replied quickly. 

"Good." Tyler said. "And I don't suppose you have a scary boyfriend or husband do you?"

Bobby raised her brow at him for a second.

"Maybe it's none of my business but I do like to know these things about a girl before I ask her to have dinner with me." Tyler said with a toothy smile. 

Bobby stared at him blankly. 

"I have neither." She said, "But I'm not looking either. Excuse me."

Bobby opened the office door and walked through, closing it behind her and feeling the need to put space between him. 

Tyler Most was certainly a very direct man. What was he thinking? She looked to Matt who was busy reading a few papers before walking over with his coffee.

"Thanks." he said, turning to look at her and noting that she seemed to be a bit out of it. 

"What's wrong?" he asked, watching as Bobby moved back to the desk where her computer was set up. Bobby was still for a second, before removing her glasses and rubbing her eyes. 

"Nothing." She said simply. 

"So then why are you being weird?" He asked. 

"Well, to be honest, I think Tyler Most... just asked me out." Bobby said quietly. 

Matt raised his brow. 

"What do you mean he asked you out?" Matt asked, standing and moving towards her, his arms across his chest. 

"Well, rather... he announced his intention to ask me out." She said, still trying to figure it out.

"And what did you say?" Matt asked with a frown. 

"Nothing."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 248 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...
115 6 5
EXCERPT "Darling. Darling. Darling. British men are always using words like 'darling', 'love', 'sweetheart'; it's culture, tradition - it really mean...
20.1K 407 66
𝐍𝐀𝐎𝐌𝐈 It was bad enough working in a bakery with karens, but being an assistant is probably worse. Working at Cyber Tech is like highschool all...
13.1K 216 29
{NOTE: I WROTE THIS AT A VERY YOUNG AGE, NOT UNDERSTANDING THE PARTS WHERE I WAS CRAP AT WRITING AT THIS POINT AND HOW EVERYTHING IS VERY MELODRAMATI...