Chasing Mr. Carlton ( The sto...

By egeecotton

NOTE: I don't have a cover for this story yet- anyone wanna take a whack at it? Bobby Darling had her eyes on... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
One Summer...
2
3
4
5
End

Part 20

265 12 0
By egeecotton

"I just can't believe it. I can't believe that again you left me alone like an idiot." Lisa said angrily. 

Matt stared at her as she was putting her things away. She'd given him the cold shoulder all weekend and Monday and today, the last day before the break, she was finally letting him have it. 

"I already told you- it was an emergency. It couldn't be helped." He said, feeling annoyed by her pestering him.  He'd already apologized but she wasn't having it. 

"An emergency? That's right, with Bobby." Lisa said, chuckling sarcastically. "Fine, let's hear it."

Matt frowned. 

"It's personal." Matt said, making her roll her eyes. "I'm sorry- it's her personal business."

"Right." Lisa said, shaking her head and going back to what she was doing. 

"Lisa, just calm down. You're being unreasonable." Matt said. 

Lisa turned to look at him before nodding. 

"Okay. I'm being unreasonable. Yes, maybe I am but what woman wants to be ditched by her boyfriend at a party? You should have come to tell me directly, not through my assistant!" She said. 

"I didn't tell Eddie because he is your assistant, I told him because he's Bobby's friend. Please, Lisa- It's Christmas and I'm not going to see you until New Year." Matt said, moving towards an angry Lisa to try to pacify her. 

She stood very still, stiff with anger but she did soften a bit as he reached out for her. 

"You're right, I should have warned you I was leaving." Matt said, conceding for the sake of peace. 

On some level Matt knew that he should have let Eddie take Bobby home that night but he also didn't think he was wrong. Every instinct in his body told him that he was the one that needed to be there for Bobby. It was illogical but Matt had never been one to respond to logic. 

Lisa didn't say anything as Matt held her. She didn't hug him but she didn't push him away either, she only put her head on his shoulder for a second. 

Matt pulled her away gently and ran his hands up and down her arms. 

"When are you flying back?" He asked with a smile. 

"Thursday after Christmas." She said with a sigh. 

"So send me your flight information and I'll pick you up." Matt said with a smile. Lisa nodded. 

"You're still taking me tomorrow, right?" She asked and Matt's face went blank. 

He'd forgotten about that- In fact, he'd already made plans to have brunch with his family.

"Shit." He muttered. 

"Oh, Matt!" Lisa said, shaking her head and walking away from him. 

"Sorry Lisa- My kid sister and her stupid husband are going to be in town for the day and the family is having brunch. I completely forgot." Matt said. 

"Georgina?" Lisa asked, raising her brow. 

"No. George is our triplet, Vada is the younger one." Matt said and Lisa nodded. 

"She won't be in town for Christmas?" Lisa asked, raising her brow and Matt shook his head. 

"No, she's spending it with her husband's family. But she'll be around for New Year's." Matt said. 

"Fine, it can't be helped." Lisa said with a sigh. "Although I would like to meet your sisters sometime."

"You can on New Years." He said. "They'll both be here." 

"I'm intrigued- A girl you says looks like your father and another that looks exactly like your mother and somehow exactly like you." Lisa said, thinking about it. 

"I know, it's a strange thing but when you see them, you'll understand." Matt said. 

"Are you at least coming over tonight?" Lisa asked. 

"Yes, of course."

----

"Hey." Matt said, walking into his parent's office after a brief knock. 

"Hey." Nora said, rising from her desk. "What's going on?"

"Are you two getting ready to check out for the day?" Matt asked, walking over to Nora and letting her smooth out his suit.  She ran her hands along the lapels of the jacket and then to his tie, a big smile on her face. He was so handsome, like his father and it filled Nora with pride to think she had any part in making this boy.

"Just about, when your father finally hangs up the phone." Nora said, looking over at Brian who was on hold and had his fingers pinched over the bridge of his nose as if he was annoyed. 

"Good." He said, kissing Nora's cheek. 

"We'll see you for brunch, right?" Nora asked. Matt nodded. 

"Of course." Matt said. 

"And what time are you planning to get in on Saturday?" She asked, referring to Christmas Eve. Nora wrapped her arms around Matt's neck and gave him a hug, making him smile. His mother was certainly the most loving woman he'd ever met.

"After lunch." He said, turning as his father hung up the phone. 

"That painful?" Nora asked, releasing her son and walking around the desk. She gently put her hands on Brian's shoulders. 

"Terrible." He said. "I can't stand that woman, she never lets you get a word in edgewise." 

Nora chuckled, leaning in to kiss Brian's cheek lightly. 

"I promise I'll get it next time." She said sweetly. Brian relaxed and pulled her hands down, wrapping her arms around him and kissing her gently. 

"Heading out for the day?" Brian asked, now looking up at Matt. 

"Yes, just have one more thing to do and I'm gone. Nick's already left." Matt said, pretending he hadn't seen the kiss as he toyed with a stapler. 

"And you'll be there tomorrow?" Brian asked, repeating Nora's questions. 

"Of course, daddy." Matt said with a smirk, teasing him. It had been many, many years since Matt was in the habit of calling Brian daddy. As a matter of fact, it was usually old man or old timer. 

Brian smiled and raised his brow. 

"Daddy? What do you want, boy?" He said with a chuckle. 

"What makes you think he wants anything?" Nora said. 

"Like you don't know him. Nora, you're the only one who still sees him like a sweet little boy." Brian said, kissing her lightly and she laughed. 

"Don't lie to yourself- you do too." She said. 

"Excuse me guys, Still here." Matt said with a sigh. 

"Yeah, sweet little boy." Brian said, shaking his head. 

"And actually, I came to ask..." Matt began and Brian cut him off. 

"Aha! See?" Brian said. 

"I came to ask if I could bring someone on Saturday." Matt said, making them both look at him wide eyed. 

"Of course." Nora said. 

"Lisa?" Brian asked, raising a brow but Matt shook his head. 

"No, she's going home for Christmas." Matt said. 

"Well, any friend of yours is always welcome." Nora said. 

"Great, I'm glad to hear you say that." Matt said. 

"So, who are you bringing?" Brian asked, his eyebrow up sharply now. 

"I'm going to ask Bobby to join us." Matt said, making them both stare quietly for a second. 

"That is alright, right?" Matt asked after they didn't respond. 

"Yes, that's fine. I'm surprised, that's all." Brian said, "But Bobby is always welcome in our home." 

"Good. I'm going to go talk to her now." Matt said. 

"Can we ask what brought this on?" Nora asked suddenly. 

"Bobby is my friend and I don't want her spending Christmas alone, that's all." Matt said. 

"Doesn't Bobby go home for Christmas?" Nora asked. 

"No. It's a long story, best just to let sleeping dogs lie." Matt said. 

"Sure. Well, please tell Bobby we're happy to have her and look forward to seeing her." Nora said. 

"Of course." Brian reiterated. 

"I will." Matt said, turning and exiting the office. 

"That's nice." Nora said with a shrug as she moved back towards her computer. "Are you almost done?"

"Yes, I'm done. You?" Brian asked, still staring at the door. 

"Yep, just going to turn off the computer and set my out of office." Nora said but Brian wasn't really listening. 

He was thinking about Matt and how maybe he cared more about Bobby than he'd like to admit.

---

"Merry Christmas." 

Bobby and Eddie hugged as he was heading out the door. 

"Be safe and... make sure to just steer clear of them." Bobby said and Eddie nodded. 

"Don't worry. You be safe and spoil yourself a little." Eddie said with a smile as he left. 

Bobby sighed- the office was practically empty and once again, she was one of the last ones left. 

She was actually only waiting for Matt to reappear so she could ask if there was anything left before she went home. 

She slowly began to toss the pile of candies and silly Christmas gifts she'd received into a bag, relieved that it was finally time to just kick back. 

"Bobby." 

"God Damn it!" She said, jumping up slightly. 

"I know, I know. You hate that." Matt said with a grin, walking towards the front of the desk. 

"So why do you keep doing it?" She asked, shaking her head and putting a hand on her chest. 

"You look cute when your startled." He said chuckling. 

"Right. Well, what can I do for you sir?" Bobby said, hoping she hadn't turned red. 

"Nothing. I think we're all done." He said and Bobby nodded. 

"Me too. So then, I guess... Merry Christmas." She said and Matt moved around the desk to hug her. 

Bobby was surprised. Usually they just muttered Merry Christmas to each other on the way out. 

"Merry Christmas, Bobby." He said, as she hugged him lightly. 

"Now, can you come into my office for a bit?" He asked, grinning. 

Bobby stared with a raised brow. 

"I thought that was it?" She said but he shook his head. 

"One thing I want to run by you." Matt said, signalling for her to follow. Bobby sighed, trailing behind him. 

"Close the door." He said as soon as she was inside. 

"Okay." She said, pushing it gently.  "What's up?"

"Saturday- I'll pick you up at noon, we can have lunch and then we head over to my parent's house for Christmas eve. Sound like a plan?" He asked casually. 

"A plan? Christmas eve with your family?" Bobby asked, completely surprised. 

"Christmas- Bring an overnight bag. It's always great. George will be home with the kids. We'll spend all afternoon eating, drinking, and laughing... good fun." Matt said with a smile. 

"Sounds great." Bobby said. "But I usually spend Christmas with Detectives Benson and Stabler." 

"So you spend it with the Carltons this year." Matt said with a shrug. 

"Why?" Bobby asked. 

"What do you mean, why?" Matt asked. 

"Why are you inviting me over for Christmas?" Bobby asked, moving closer to his desk.

"It's Christmas, you shouldn't be alone." Matt said with a shrug. 

"So you're inviting me because you feel sorry for me?" Bobby asked. Matt sighed.

"Oh my god, why are women so complicated? I'm inviting you because we're always happy to have a friend with us and you don't have plans." Matt said. "Besides, I already got you a present." 

"You what?" Bobby asked. Now she understood why he hadn't sent her the typical gift basket. 

"You'll have to wait until Christmas to see it. So, don't forget- I'm picking you up at noon." Matt said, that big, stupid, childish smile on from ear to ear.

"Matt- I'm not going to..." She began to protest but a knock on the door made them turn. 

"Come in." Matt said.

"Hey, we're heading out... Bobby." Brian said with a smile when he saw her. 

"Okay. I'll see you guys tomorrow." Matt said. 

"Okay- 10am, don't forget." Brian said, heading back to the door. "And we'll see you on Saturday, Bobby. No excuses." 

Brian was teasing her but Bobby nodded, unable to look away from his brilliant smile. She knew he'd been a lady killer during his time... he still was. 

Bobby turned back to Matt once the door was closed. 

"So, you were saying?" Matt asked with a grin. 

"Noon." Bobby said, shaking her head and heading out the door. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23K 515 35
For nearly two years, Anthony was nothing more than 'her sister's boyfriend'. Jem had always hated him, and he's always returned the sentiment. When...
780 35 9
He kissed her lips, a kiss so feather light, she had to open her eyes to believe it was happening. He pulled her closer and whispered in her ear &qu...
13.1K 216 29
{NOTE: I WROTE THIS AT A VERY YOUNG AGE, NOT UNDERSTANDING THE PARTS WHERE I WAS CRAP AT WRITING AT THIS POINT AND HOW EVERYTHING IS VERY MELODRAMATI...
4.1K 248 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...