REBEL HEART (GxG)

By tarlutz_tl

REBEL HEART Luxury never made me happy. It's just a distraction from this solitary world, only filling... More

PROLOGUE
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
Author's Note
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
EPILOGUE
A/N

45

7.5K 237 25
By tarlutz_tl

GAB

If my shoes can talk, it'll probably tell me to stop fussing about Lexi, or maybe it'll automatically drag me back to my chair. I just can't stop thinking about her in Bastienne's company and I've already spent an hour pacing back and forth in this 4 sided room. That being said, the room I was in is my office. Cool right? I mean I'm not technically an employee, YET, but I already have an office where I bury myself on different kinds of stuff. Files, proposals, policies and the list goes on and on. It just sucked.

Going back, it's hard to imagine whatever they're doing now. I trust Lexi don't get me wrong and I know it's purely business but somehow I can't help but picture this Bastienne guy throwing looks at my dear Lexi. She is such a fine specimen, not to mention she's really smart. Men and women would swoon over her and I hate to think about it. Selfish as it may sound but I love her in all parts of me and that I want her only for myself.

I stopped on my tracks and set my gaze on the table where my phone sits. I'm fighting the urge to check on her not wanting to show off a clingy attitude.

"If I call her, would she think that I'd be too clingy or..Ugh!"

I slumped in my chair, burying my face on my hands. Maybe I was over thinking. Maybe I'm stressing myself all for nothing. And even if a lot of men and women would kill to have Lexi, I know she'd still choose me, I knew that. I felt that.

I spun my chair around facing the window. I am more or less 50 feet above the ground which made people walking along the busy streets of Chicago looked like an ant. Yes, I was that bored to even notice it. I stood up and walked closer to the window with my eyes averting to the blue sky. I caught a glimpse of my reflection at the mirror and something in me felt strange. It's been eight months since I got here and everything in me felt so different. My clothes were different now, they were more business-like and I always have this feeling that I need to dress up a bit formal. I kinda missed the sneaks though.

Lately I've been meeting people like Uncle Sully, people who talks business like it's the only important thing in this world. People who puts in their career before anything else, boring people and I fear that soon enough I will be one of them. God I hate thinking about it. Before this whole taking over started, waking up in the morning is such a pleasure. All I can think about was to go straight to my studio and spend some time painting or maybe stroll around with my friends in the hood. I still literally drag myself to the bathroom, still not a morning person. But for the past weeks, Zelda would always call me and remind me of my day's activity and the next thing I know, I am already rushing to work. I hate it. I know I am 21 and in a few months I'll be turning 22 which meant I need to start having a serious job and not just rely on painting. Besides, Uncle Sully told me he needs me to run his company, but I just don't know if I'm ready yet. Somehow deep in me, I wanted to make Uncle Sully proud, and not just him, but also Lexi.

Lexi is a smart woman and at 28, she's done a lot of things for the company. In fact she is a vital employee of Ervy Realty and if Uncle Sullivan had no heir, maybe she's one of the potential employees that can run the company. I once heard that rival companies of Ervy Realty would like to pirate her and offer her equal or higher salary than she receiving. She already acquired a house and a car, the fruits of her labor and I'm pretty sure that she has a good bank savings. So it's safe to say that at 28 she's already stable, while I on the other hand, is still struggling to be something I fear I am not. I knew in the long run I'd definitely learn all these things and maybe like Lexi or Uncle Sullivan, I'd be successful one day. Anyhow, I wanted to be worthy of Lexi, like I want to be something or someone she can be proud of. I don't want people to say that I got this job just because I am Sullivan's niece, which is in fact true, but I want people to know that I worked hard and that I also deserved to be here. And maybe I just needed to prove myself.

A slight knock on my door pulled me out from my thoughts. I turned my back and Zelda emerged with a huge smile on her face.

"Good Morning Gab"

She stepped aside and I half expected it to be another gentleman to help me on something, but to my surprise and disappointment, it was Uncle Sully. It's been over a month since the last time I saw him or talked to him. After that incident where he asked me to stay away from Lexi, our relationship was strained and somehow I've kept my distance from him, avoiding any possible encounters. He'd still invite us over dinner at the mansion but I always turn his invites down and say that I am busy or I'm sick or anything just to avoid seeing him. He called a week ago asking me to meet him somewhere because he has something to tell me, but again I managed an alibi and he didn't pushed it also. But he's here right now and I'm out of my desk, obviously not busy at the moment, I can't just brush him off right?

Wow, Gabrielle Ervy brushing off her boss! Sounds bad ass to me!

I felt my face grew pale at the sight of him but his warm smile somehow manage to make me relax. I walked closer to greet him and kiss his cheeks. He gently pulled me into an embrace that lasted longer than usual which made me think that he missed me.

"I missed you Gabby"

My heart ached hearing this from the man I looked up to as a father. Even though we were physically distant, with him in the US and me in my hometown, he always tries his best to be there for me. Then I remembered him telling me to stay away from Lexi. I remembered his face looking so stern and his eyes in pain when he said that. I pulled away and set my eyes on him. I felt distant again.

"I missed you too" I manage to muster.

Uncle Sully's eyes flickered to Zelda which meant that he wants us to be alone. She hurriedly went for the door and disappeared almost immediately. Uncle Sully gestured to the recliner which only meant one thing, he wanted us to talk. As much as I dreaded this conversation, I have no choice. It's already here in front of me.

"Gab"

My eyes were fixed on the floor and probably it will just stay there. He called me again.

"Gabrielle"

His tone and calling me by my first name made my eyes travel up, meeting his gaze. His eyes held so much sadness and it seemed that he aged quite a bit. The crease in his forehead and his shaking voice tells me that like me, he is nervous.

For sure he'd be talking about the same things again because obviously I've been too stubborn to follow his orders. I felt the rage started to build up in my chest but I took a deep breath and tried so hard to calm down.

"I got this. I got this"

I kept saying this in my head over and over until the anger somehow subsided and I was ready for whatever it is that he might say, AGAIN.

"I know the past weeks have not been great for the both of us. Obviously you are avoiding me Gab and.. you are mad at me.. But we can't continue treating each other like this Gab"

My green eyes were still locked on his greens and for the first time, I was so amused how our eyes were so much alike. It almost looked like I am staring at my eyes in the mirror. Then he continued.

"I'm sorry if I had to ask that from you but believe me Gabby, it's for the better"

I was right, he's here to talk to me about Lexi again. I tried so hard to keep my composure which I know will be quite impossible.

"How it is better?"

"Gab, just do what I say! I can't re-.."

"I can't do it Uncle Sully"

I snapped, not letting him finish.

"I-It's like.."

I shook my head unable to fill my mouth with the right words.

"It's almost like asking me not to breathe"

I felt my stomach twist at the thought. I've fallen so hard for Lexi and I just can't tell myself to avoid her, let alone stop loving her. It's not possible.

"Gab, stop making things complicated"

"How so? I love Lexi, and she loves me back, what's so complicated about that?"

His eyes went wide like he couldn't believe what I just said. Then he let out a long sigh and looked straight into my eyes.

"You can't love her!"

Uncle Sully's jaw tightened and this is the first time I saw him this furious.

"And why not?!" I retorted.

I stood up as my uncle averted his gaze up at me with his eyes wide in shock. This is the first time that I raised my voice at him. I maybe badass and all but I have so much respect for him and yelling at him and not being able to control my anger hurts so much. I felt the rage seeping back inside and my fist starting to ball up. He then stood up and met my gaze. He managed to take a deep breath and opened his mouth as I hang on to his words.

"Because Gab, you and Lexi are.."

**LOUD KNOCK**

Zelda was obviously trembling as she slid inside the room. My furious eyes met hers and she looked down almost immediately. She chose to fix her eyes on the carpet rather than look up at me. I glanced at Uncle Sully and he's straightening and smoothing out his coat and cleared his throat.

"Zelda, have I not told you that I am not to be disturbed?"

Uncle Sully said this in a very calm voice, like no heated argument had occured before Zelda walked in.

"I-I'm sorry Mr. Ervy but there's an urgent call for you"

"Can it not wait?" I snapped.

"Ms. Ervy, I'm sorry but it's really urgent"

I can tell that Zelda would've wish for the ground to break open and swallow her alive than to stand there and deal with me and my uncle. Uncle Sully walked straight to me, rested his hand over my shoulder and spoke.

"Gab, we'll talk about this again. Please don't be mad at me. I'm just doing this because it's the right thing to do. It's the best for the both of you"

How could be something that can break me, be the best for me? I did not look at him, I couldn't look at him. My heart is full of rage right now. Instead my eyes pierced through a trembling Zelda and my stare just made her more uncomfortable than she already is. He pulled me close to him and wrapped his bear like arms around me. Then he whispered softly in my ears.

"I love you my child"

Uncle slowly walked out of the room and Zelda trailed in from behind without even looking at me. I'm sure she was screaming FINALLY inside her head.

+++++

Not once have I thought about Uncle Sully being someone whose gonna stop me from something or someone I wanted. Nor had I imagined having a heated argument with him. He was always very supportive of me on everything. He seemed so cool almost on everything so I'm actually seeing a different side of him.

If my uncle would only tell me why, which he almost did but not until Zelda walked in and ruined the moment, I would have known his reason. I would have known the exact words to say that might eventually change his mind. I would have made him understand what I truly feel and why I wouldn't listen to him. But for whatever reason he might have, may it be acceptable or not, I won't care. I can't just shut down all my feelings for Lexi and I know it will probably break her too, and I don't want that to happen. I won't let go.

*Phone ringing*

"Gab"

"Hey"

Lexi's voice seemed excited while I on the other hand, was trying to suppress the sadness in my tone.

"Gab is everything okay?"

And Lexi being Lexi, she already knew something was off.

"Yeah, just got off from a mind boggling tutorial. It kinda sucked the energy in me" I lied.

"I see. We'll I just called to inform you that..."

"What?"

"Hmm.. Gab I've made the deal! Mr. Wilford finally agreed to sell the land!"

The excitement in Lexi's voice was palpable and I can't help but to be happy for her. She worked so hard for this and bent her schedule just to push this through. And this only means one thing, her days with Bastienne will soon be over. Buwahaha. God I sound like a villain.

"Wow that's great. I'm so proud of you"

"Aww. I'm excited to see you though, maybe celebrate a bit later tonight"

"Now, that got me perked up"

"Hahaha I'll see you in a while"

"See you and drive safely. I love you"

"You know I love you too Gab"

+++++

Maybe I am just too irritated today to notice that people are always knocking in my door, like what do you want from me? Can you spare me some time for myself? The argument I had with Uncle Sullivan is getting to me and I can't control my temper. I worry if Lexi might notice it tonight when she comes home. What would I tell her? I've been hiding this from her because I know it will bother her and she might do something I can't accept. Do I just pretend that nothing happened today? I pushed the thoughts to the far end of my poor brain.

The knocking continued followed by the creaking of the door. And yes, it's Zelda again. I'm just hoping that Uncle Sullivan is not with her. I can't face him anymore, not now, not like this. I think I had enough for the day. I'm not in a good state right now.

"G-Gab"

"Zelda"

I rolled my eyes as I slouched into my chair.

"What is it this time?" I asked.

Relief flooded over me as soon as I noticed that no one was trailing in behind her.

"Your Uncle wants to give you this"

She handed me a piece of brown envelope and I almost tear it open feeling too pissed on how bad this day was. I instantly stopped what I'm doing and shot her a look telling her that I can take it from here and she can go. She offered me a weak smile not understanding what my expression meant. Then in what felt like ages, she spoke.

"Um. Gab I'm here to explain the details"

"What details?"

Two plane tickets were lying on the table and an invitation for an Art Exhibit in New York. My eyes beamed at the sight and it felt like all the suddenly anger went into the drain.

"Mr. Ervy wanted you to attend the Art Exhibit which will be held in New York in two days, and you'll be leaving with Lexi. She knows the place enough and at the same time she needs to check our company there and also to introduce you to the board. Someone will be there to guide you and Lexi"

Zelda knew that the news got me very excited because it was painted all over my face and she's able to make an eye contact with me without sensing fear. And she's right, I am beyond happy and excited for this. I'll get to attend an art exhibit and I've been dying to be in one and in New York, like how sick is that? And above all, I'll be with Lexi. Is this really happening?

"Are you sure Uncle Sully wants me to go with Lexi?"

Zelda's brows knotted like my question made her confused then she spoke.

"I don't see anything wrong with you and Lexi going together Gab"

"Oh of course not, I mean.. Never mind. Thanks for this. Tell him we'll go"

Zelda nodded and raced to the door like she dreaded being in my office. I looked at the tickets in front of me and thought about the earlier encounter I had with my uncle. What is this? Is this some kind of bribe, or is this his way to say sorry? Is he going to take back what he said about Lexi and I? Everything remained confusing as they were few weeks ago and I still haven't found answers to my questions. It's quite depressing you know.  Whew! I could only hope for the best.

++++++

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

806K 36.8K 36
[Completed] Sometimes, exes come back, and so do forgotten feelings. And if the universe hates you enough, it's your girlfriend's first love who show...
9.4K 223 8
A sequel to 'Way Back' [also known as the huge mess Charlie has made]. What if the right person comes at the worst possible time? Would you fix your...
1.9M 44.4K 67
Have you ever felt so broken that you couldn't pull yourself out of bed and continue to live your life like you used to. A simple task such as tying...
14.8K 474 148
Drunk Aayana cups Ira's face and intends to kiss her, "Aayana, are you in your senses? I mean, do you really want it?" Ira is confused. "Of cours...