A Secret She Carried

By sparsha_kadri

# Book 1 in The Milton Brothers Series # Bennett Milton , was the CEO of the Milton Corp. He was your t... More

COPYRIGHT
PROLOGUE
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
EPILOGUE
AUTHOR'S NOTE

17

174K 5.5K 168
By sparsha_kadri

The next day, Sapphire woke up with a throbbing head. She didn't get a wink of sleep and the only person to be blamed was Bennett. Her mind kept replaying their heated encounter again and again making it almost impossible to think straight. Every inch of her wanted to run to him and beg him to once again claim her.

But she didn't dare to do it, not that the idea didn't appeal her. It was just that she wasn't yet ready to let him back. She knew she had promised him a clean slate. But she wasn't a total idiot to once again fall for his charms. She had once done that mistake and she wasn't going to do that again. But the way her body kept reacting around him she doubted how long that would last.

But then again she hadn't completely forgiven him and a part of her still didn't trust him enough to once again let him access to her heart. Though she had promised herself that she would give him a chance, she couldn't quite make up her mind to give him another chance. But she knew she had to, at least for the twins.

And after last night's event she knew she had to stay at an arm length distance from him. She knew how her body reacted around him and she feared that if he touched her one more time she would lose it. Shaking her head she tried to clear her thoughts. She had to stop thinking about him from now or she was damn sure she would end up climbing his bed once again.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, she pushed herself into a sitting position and grabbed her phone from the night stand. She went through tons of her work e-mails and groaned loudly. She hadn't handed her resignation letter yet and she still didn't understand why didn't she remember it earlier.

Taking a deep breath she deleted all her work emails she wasn't going to need them anymore as she was damn sure that Bennett was anyways not going to allow her to work after they got married and she didn't like that idea at all. She went through her other mails and that's when it caught her attention. An email from Noel Harrison.

Guilt swept over her as she recalled last night's events and she couldn't understand how could she be so rude to him. Yes! She was annoyed that he had ruined their moment but that doesn't mean she had a right to treat him like that especially when all he wanted to do was help her.

She had to apologise to him and soon. She didn't mind opening the email. Instead she quickly dialed his number and waited for him to respond. She feared that he would give her a cold shoulder. But surprisingly he answered within a single ring. And she let out a heavy breath when he heard a "Hello! " from the other end.

"Look I'm sorry about last night, I didn't mean to...You know..." she trailed off not wanting to continue the sentence. She could hear him sigh from the other end she could say he was trying very hard to sound calm. "It's alright Sapphire, it was my fault I just barged in uninvited." He said in a groggy tone.

"You are angry aren't you?" she asked, her voice so soft that she feared he wouldn't hear her. "No I'm not." he replied curtly confirming her doubt. "Look,I know what I did last night was wrong and I shouldn't have treated you like that. Please give me a chance to make it up to you" she heard him sigh from the other end. "Look I'm not mad at you Sapphire, at least not anymore."

"Then let me buy you a coffee. Venue your choice." he laughed and she could almost see him shake his head. "As much I want to, I can't. I'm leaving the country for a couple of weeks for business."
It would be a lie if she said she wasn't disappointed. Who wouldn't be? He had just turned down her offer.

"Sapphire are you alright?" he asked bringing her out of her thoughts. "Yes I'm fine. Aren't you going to be attending the wedding?"
"I don't think so. But don't worry I'll make it up to you. Anyways see you soon take care." and with that he hung up. Well! That was weird. For some odd reason she had a feeling that he was avoiding the wedding on purpose.

Sighing heavily she hopped out of her bed and walked into the bathroom for a quick shower. She had a long day ahead and she just hoped it went smoothly. And hopefully she wouldn't have to deal with her family's mess. Taking a deep breath she slipped out of he clothes and turned on the shower.

"So, when is the wedding?" Steven asked as he watched Bennett with a stern look on his face. Bennett sipped his coffee and replied, "Ten days from now." though not impressed by his response, Steven didn't go to ask further questions. After all he had invited him and his wife along with Emily to be the part of the wedding.

Though he knew that this was his attempt to win back Sapphire. He really did appreciate his generosity. Bennett had personally called him and told him about the wedding and had asked him whether he could attending the wedding as Sapphire's family as she didn't have her own and he had immediately agreed.

He had also arranged for their flight tickets and had personally come to pick them at the airport. He had also taken care about their accommodation and other necessaries. Though he didn't like the fact that Bennett was going to be paying for him and his family's experiences. He didn't have much of a choice.

"That's crazy. How can you plan a wedding in such a short time?" Emily demanded shaking her head as she joined them on the table. "I have taken care about all the arrangements and stuff so you don't have to worry about anything." Bennett replied sounding a little proud. Emily rolled her eyes still not believing him.

"So does Sapphire know we are here?" Gena asked, speaking up for the first time since arriving early this morning. "Don't you think she would be here if she did?" Emily said in a matter of fact way. "No I haven't told her yet. I wanted to surprise her." Bennett said with a faint smile on his face.

"Oh my god!!" Sapphire exclaimed the moment she walked in. Her eyes immediately lit up as she saw familiar faces smile back at her. "I missed you so much!" Emily exclaimed as she rushed towards her and pulled her into a tight hug. "I missed you too Em." she said as she hugged her back.

"Come on girls it's just been a day." Steven said rolling his eyes. "Don't be like that Steve." Gena said beaming at the young girls before her. Sapphire pulled away from Emily and rushed to him and gave him a tight hug and did the same with Gena. This was so unexpected. She had thought she would have to spend her day with strangers but now she was relieved.

Bennett watched her as she talked animatedly to the old couple and couldn't help but smile at how happy she looked. Wasn't that the reason why he invited them? Of course it was. He knew how lonely she had felt here. And plus he didn't want her to feel lonely. It was their wedding and he wanted it to be as memorable as possible.

Sapphire turned towards Bennett who seemed to be lost in his own world and walked up to him. She nudged his shoulder bringing him out of his thoughts. "Thank you." she said even before he says anything. He just smiled and nodded. They silently stared at each other awkwardly not really knowing what else to say.

Emily who noticed the tension between the two immediately came to her friend's rescue. "Come on Sapphire we have tons of work to finish." she said dragging her away from him. "I think Elizabeth and Olivia are going to be joining us?" Sapphire asked as she turned towards Bennett. He nodded, "They will be here in ten minutes. Why don't you have some breakfast till then?" he suggested.

"I think I should go and check on the boys. They should be up by now." she said ignoring his suggestion. "It's just nine honey. Why do you want to wake them up this early?" Gena asked as she shook her head. "But They-" Emily cut in. "Don't be so mean Sapphire, let them sleep." she let out a heavy breath and nodded.

"Well, well, looks like we have guests here." Olivia stated as she walked into the kitchen with Elizabeth trailing right behind her. Well that was pretty fast. Bennett hadn't expected his mother would be this early. Bennett stepped in and did the formal introduction and made sure that his mother wouldn't be rude to his guests.

"So where are we first heading to?" Elizabeth asked as they all headed to their respective cars. "To a boutique of course. We need a dress remember?" Emily said sounding a little rude. It was clear that she didn't like Elizabeth much. "So boutique it is." she replied with the same tone and turned on her heels and walked straight to her car.

"I don't like that girl." Emily declared as she walked up to Sapphire and stood next to her. "Don't be like that Em, she's not that bad." she replied with a laugh. "Oh please... I bet she -" but she was cut off as Olivia and Gena walked up to them. It was strange how well both the ladies were getting along.

"Give me a minute Em." Sapphire excused herself and walked up to Bennett who stood afar watching them intently. He turned towards her as she walked up to him. "You need something?" he asked. She nodded. "Would you take care of my twins? I mean, they are still in bed and could get get really cranky when they wake up." she asked.

"They are my sons as well Sapphire, of course I will take care of them. Don't worry, go have fun." he said smiling she gave him an awkward smile and turned on her heels and headed back to the car. She opened the car door and turned towards him. He waved at her mouthing a 'take care.' she smiled back at him and nodded closing the door shut.

Bennett watched the cars disappear round the corner and let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. Well that was awkward. He hadn't expected it would be so awkward talking to her after last night's incident. It looks like he still had a long way to go to win back her trust.

But for now he had to bond with their sons. Hopefully he could know them better and maybe they could help him impress their mother? With the new found hope he walked back into the house.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 46.5K 128
She was his motivation. Madison Connor, the only woman he had ever loved, the woman he had hurt, the woman he had left. Billionaire Damien Daniels ha...
227K 13.8K 54
"How dare you? Ariana, how dare you?" I could feel the anger from his heart radiate through his ears. the tears that kept rolling down my cheeks wer...
557K 20.8K 34
On her boss's orders. "Who are You!?" he demanded from her. She glance up at her angry looking boss, and was a little bit frightened by the impeding...
2.9K 213 30
OH MY GOD! There's nothing quite like being trapped with the one man you can't stand .. egotistic, pompous, and brutal. He was the epitome of opulen...