How I Fell For Death (Myths F...

By AerithSage

[COMPLETED!] (Sequel to How to be a Queen) Aerith and Hades already have their fairytale ending. They've also... More

Prologue
Chapter 1- Destined For Death
Chapter 2- Death Myths
Chapter 3- Eros
Chapter 4- Valentines (Part 1)
Chapter 5- Valentines (Part 2)
Chapter 6- Our Kind of Date
Chapter 7- Kinky
Chapter 8- A Gentle Heart
Chapter 9- Superman Has Wings
Chapter 10- When Gods Sing
Chapter 11- Psyche
Chapter 12- Best Brother Ever
Chapter 13- Achilles
Chapter 14- Unleashing Death
Chapter 15- The Olympics (Part 1)
Chapter 16- The Olympics (Part 2)
Chapter 17- We're On Top of the World
Chapter 18- A Fool In Love
Chapter 19- Goddess Awakened
Chapter 20- The Friend Zone
Chapter 21- Love is Complicated
Chapter 22- Pour Your Heart Out
Chapter 23- La Douleur Exquise
Chapter 24- The King and Queen of the Underworld
Chapter 25- Moving On
Chapter 26- What Goes Around Comes Around
Chapter 27- How to Say Goodbye?
Chapter 28- Let's Start Over
Chapter 29- A Perfect Day
Chapter 30- Powers Combined
Chapter 31- Losing Control
Chapter 32- Meeting the Parents
Chapter 33- Of Love and Marriage
Chapter 34- The Rise of Cronus
Chapter 35- Insanity
Chapter 36- Prepare for War
Chapter 37- My Illusion
Chapter 38- Death's Scythe
Chapter 40- As Long As We're Together
Chapter 41- Til Death Do Us Part
Chapter 42- Forever and Ever?
Chapter 43- Don't Tell Hades
Epilogue
How to Reform a Rake (Myths Finding Love #3) + My Other Stories

Chapter 39- The End of the World?

127K 6.5K 319
By AerithSage

***PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO CLICK THAT VOTE BUTTON! THANKS!***

CHAPTER 39- THE END OF THE WORLD?

Three Days Later
Somewhere in Athens,
Greece

-Aurea-

“There’s been a large-scale earthquake with an intensity of nine that originated somewhere off the coast of Greece. Tsunami warnings have been raised all over the nearest islands. Everyone, please evacuate to higher ground.”

The mortal news followed by Cronus’ evil laughter echoed somewhere in the distance. I opened my eyes and I was still tied to Thanatos. Also we were both still in the cave dark and damp cave. Three days have passed and we still weren’t able to escape. On one side of the cave stood a basin filled with water that Cronus enchanted so he could watch over all of the world. And now, he was using it as a television for he was having so much fun at how the mortals were panicking and saying that the end of the world is starting.

“Thanatos, wake up.” I whispered.

Thanatos slowly stirred and his blue-slash-grey eyes looked deeply into mine. “We have got to escape. And we have got to stop him.”

“I know. But haven’t we already tried everything? Let’s wait a while more. He’ll be too busy with what he’s doing that he’ll surely forget about us.”

Cronus planned to attack today and he was just getting started with wreaking havoc over all of the mortal world. Later, he will make his power more known and he’ll be so busy with what he’s doing. I just hope it doesn’t have to come to that point for many people will ber hurt and more will die.

I looked overhead and the skies seemed to darken. Then, the waves in the ocean started getting higher and higher until it looked so frightening. I shivered but Thanatos held me closer. Then, he began concentrating on the locks once more. I also tried to use my magic but like before, we made no progress.

“That’s no use. You’re never going to escape, Aurea. I’m still going to use you and brother. Once I defeat those Olympians, I will free all of my brothers and sisters who are in Tartarus. And I need your powers for that.” Cronus sneered.

I realized he must be talking about the transfer of souls again. Since the bodies of the Titans in Tartarus were cursed to eternal slumber, he wouldn’t be able to wake them up. So the only option left was to transfer their souls to other bodies just like what he tricked Aidon and me to do.

Thanatos glared at him and Cronus laughed even more. Then, he looked at the dark-haired man standing beside Cronus and his eyes went blank. The man spread his hands and the skies darkened even further. The clouds completely covered the sun but there was no rain nor lightning and thunder. Just an eerie darkness overhead.

The man looked familiar and even his power felt familiar. He must’ve sensed that I was looking at him and he turned and smiled. And when he did, all the hairs on my skin stood on end. Yes, he was handsome and the hard edges of his face looked really familiar. But there was something really creepy about him.

“Who is that?” I whispered to Thanatos.

“Erebus... The God of Darkness...” he replied in a flat tone. He then turned his head away from me as he tried to busy himself with trying to break Cronus’ spell again. I sensed that there was much more that he was not telling me.

“We have recent reports that Japan has just been hit by an earthquake also with the same magnitude but with a different source. They are also now on high alert for a tsunami and for more radiation leaks from their nuclear plants.”

Once again, the evil God threw back his head and laughed. Then, he crouched down and placed his palm on the ground and I felt his power radiate from him. Truly, over the span of three days, his powers have come back fully and he was now using it to wreak havoc across the globe.

I knew his plan. He was luring the Olympians out by endangering the mortals. And he was also scaring the mortals so that when he reveals himself, they would worship him and be his slaves.

And for what seemed to be the thousandth time in my life, I felt helpless. If only my power had something that can stop Cronus, I could have done something already. But I can’t for my power was only over souls; over death.

And chained like this, there was nothing I could do.

“Thanatos.”

“Yes?”

“Can’t you do something? The one that you did to Achilles where he almost died? Can’t that work on Cronus?”

His eyes became blank again before he looked away. “I have tried that already, Aurea. But it seems as if he has bound my powers. There’s nothing I can do. I can’t even get these chains off us and it is just a very simple magic!” he sighed with frustration.

I wrapped my hand around his and squeezed. “Don’t worry. We’ll find a way.” I smiled.

“Aurea.” Cronus called out.

Immediately, Thanatos and I turned towards him. Thanatos was scowling for Cronus smile wide and he appeared as though he just thought of something great.

“I think I might have a use for that power after all.” He said in an amused tone.

Cronus inclined his head and Aidon walked towards him. Then, he snapped his fingers and it was as though the chains binding me suddenly came to life. It constricted around my chest and forced me to stand up. Then, Cronus was like a big magnet and the chains went to him.

“Let her go!” Thanatos shouted. I saw him struggle to stand against his bindings but it was no use.

Aidon took my left hand and then Cronus took my right.

“I know this will work. Your powers will amplify mine and I will finally reach those Olympians who are cowering behind Olympus.” He said with a sneer.

“They aren’t cowering. They are planning how to defeat you.” I spat.

“Then all their planning is useless for they cannot defeat me. And now, it’s time to send them a message that I am coming for them.” He said in a joyful tone and then squeezed tightly on my hand.

“I’ve shaken the earth and the sea. Now, it’s time to shake the skies.”

The Throne Room
Zeus’ Palace
Mount Olympus

-Thanatos-

For the first time in a long time, all the Gods were in their full armor and everyone was agitated. Zeus, Poseidon and Hades stood on one side of the room as they continuously planned and argued on how to approach Cronus’ island.

And the others were scattered around the room, waiting for their decision. Ares polished his weapons,

 Athena was studying a map, Hephaestus checked his newest inventions, Artemis was loading silver bows in her quiver. Apollo was standing with his wife Daphne beside him. She was also an immortal but she was a nymph and her powers were not as great as ours. He feared for her safety and she would be one of the few who would be left behind here on Olympus.

Seeing them saying goodbye to each other brought a pang to my chest. I missed Aurea and I missed her greatly. The past three days without her have been hell. I never had a wink of sleep for my mind was plagued with chaotic thoughts. I constantly thought of her and how she is. I tried to think of the best but my mind loved to wander and thought of all the ways she could have been hurt.

“We have got to act now! We know where he is! We have to move!” Hades shouted. And one of the beautiful marble pillars burst because of the intensity of his rage.

“Every second we waste is another second that my son and my daughter falls further into his grasp.” Hades continued.

“I agree, brother. Every second we waste, Cronus gets stronger and stronger. And thousands more are going to die.”

“I know this. But the Titans have pledged their support. Without them, we are no match for Cronus. Poseidon can’t even calm the seas and the earth continues to tremble.” Zeus explained in an effort to placate his brother.

“For all we know, they could have changed their minds! I’d rather die fighting than waiting for allies that might never come!” Hades retorted.

And at his words, everyone’s heads turned towards them.

Could it be that the Titans have changed their minds? Have they finally realized that this is not their war but a war we are just dragging them into?

“I have faith in our Titan allies, brother. They will be here.” Poseidon calmly told Hades.

“I am not wasting another second here.” Hades said through gritted teeth. He turned around and started to march across the throne room to get his queen. His face was set in a fierce scowl and I knew then that he was planning on storming towards Cronus’ island and fighting him himself.

I extricated myself from one of the pillars and gripped the weapon that the Titans gave me very tightly. “I will come with you.” I told Hades. But as I was walking towards him, the ground began to tremble.

Then, silence fell all over the room as the gods and goddesses glanced around their surroundings. A few seconds later and what felt like a massive earthquake began to shake Olympus.

And then chaos ensued.

The floor appeared as though it was rising and falling because of the intensity of the quakes. Screams echoed across the room as the beautiful sculptures, hanging torches, various vases and the archways all crashed to the ground. The shaking was so intense that all of us also fell on the floor. I grabbed a nearby pillar and held on. I also grabbed Hera who slid towards me and anchored her towards the pillar.

For what felt like a long time, we were bounced up and down while other parts of Zeus’ castle started to fall.

And lastly, a large crack appeared in the throne room and it widened and deepened until the place was split into two. After that, the quakes started to slowly ease away until there were only slight tremors.

And before everything completely stopped, Cronus’ laughter echoed all over Mount Olympus.

It was followed by Zeus’ very loud roar of fury.

“We will go now!” he shouted and then the room was flooded with light as he unleashed his true form. It was followed by the war cry of the other Gods as they followed Zeus and unleashed their true forms.

“To Greece!” Poseidon shouted.

I let my power flow through me and imagined my mortal form dissolving. And then there was this huge spike of power followed by a sense of freedom. I opened my eyes and saw the shadows swirling before me. Something that only happened when I unleashed my true powers completely. In the distance, I could hear the wailing of the damned but it was all drowned out by the powers of the other Gods and Goddesses.

And then we all prepared to teleport ourselves to Greece. All of us were itching for this fight. It’s a fight to rid the world again of the Titan that ruled it before. A fight to save the mortals and two of our own. And the Titans may or may not come but one this is sure: we will fight until the very end.

Later that Day...
Somewhere in Athens,
Greece

-Aurea-

“They’re coming. I know it.” Cronus announced.

“And they will defeat you.”

“No... I will defeat them.” He laughed. And I scoffed.

Then he placed his fingers under my chin and forced me to look at him. I could not do anything but obey for he completely drained me of my powers when he said that he will shake the skies. And I was left feeling so weak and helpless after that event.

“You don’t have much faith in me, do you? I can do so much more... You think your Olympians are powerful? I am much more powerful than them. They are my offspring and their power comes from me. And they will not defeat me a second time.” He said and then let go of me.

He waved his hand and I felt us being teleported. When the darkness eased, I saw that we were situated on top of a cliff. Cronus walked away from Thanatos and me and he gazed into the horizon as though waiting for something.

“It’ll only be just a little while now.” He said with an enthusiastic smile.

I bowed my head and wished with all of my heart that Cronus isn’t as powerful as he thinks he is. I wish that Zeus and the others would find out the chink in his armor soon enough and that they could defeat him.

“Thanatos...” I whispered.

His face was set in a scowl and he was also gazing into the distance with a frown on his face. “Yes?”

“Do you really think that Cronus can defeat all the Olympians?”

Thanatos sighed. “He is more powerful than all of them combined.”

I took a sharp intake of breath at his words. “He’ll pick us off one by one until we’re all no more.” He replied in a serious tone.

“Why are you saying that?!” I hissed. Again, it struck me as odd how odd Thanatos’ behaviour is. There are times when he seems normal but then again there are times when it seems as though it’s not really him. Since when did Thanatos become this pessimistic?

“I’m sorry, Aurea. I am just distracted. I don’t know what to do and I hate being this helpless!” he exclaimed as he rattled the chains that bound both of us.

“I know... But we must never lose hope.” I whispered.

“Ah... They’re here.”

I looked away from Thanatos worried stare and glanced towards the horizon. And sure enough, there were several specks flying towards us at a great speed. And with them came a huge surge of power in the air.

The wind increased and the dark skies became filled with thunder and lightning. Also, some rays of the sun peeked from amongst the thick clouds. Hope soared inside me at the sight of the Olympians spread out across the heavens like that. They looked menacing and they emitted so much aura of power.

But at the same time, I felt a sense of dread.

They were here to fight. And in a war, bloodshed cannot be avoided.

When they were near enough, I saw Cronus raise his hand. There was a large surge of his magic and the winds responded. The winds became so severe that I saw several of the Olympians stagger while the others fell into the ocean. But there were still a huge number of them that kept on flying.

And within a few seconds, they landed on the cliff before us. I also realized that Cronus planned this all for he had the wards removed. If he didn’t they wouldn’t be able to answer it. And then I also had the feeling that this was all a trap.

“Nooo!” I shouted. But I was too late.

The minute they landed, the earth turned into quick sand and they started to sink. And no matter how hard they tried to struggle, they weren’t able to escape Cronus’ old Titan magic. Curses started spouting from Ares’ mouth as he tried to lift himself from the quick sand.

On the other hand, Zeus started pelting Cronus with his thunderbolts but Cronus just stood there and smiled as if nothing’s happening.

“Now... That was too easy wasn’t it? Honestly, I expected more of a challenge.” Cronus said. He snapped his fingers and the quick sand hardened, effectively trapping some of the Olympian Gods.

“This is not over, Cronus.” Ares spat.

“I think it is.” the Titan argued.

“It’s far from over.” A familiar voice whispered. Suddenly, Cronus fell to the ground as a large ball of energy was hurled towards him. I looked to my left and saw that it was none other than my father.

“Dad!” I shouted. His head whipped towards me and I saw his eyes soften. He ran towards me just as Poseidon also emerged from the shadows and started using his power to create fissures on the earth so that the Olympians can free themselves.

“Aurea!” my father shouted as he ran towards me. In the blink of an eye, he was beside me. But then, there was another black blur and before I was able to shout a warning, Aidon appeared with his sword near father’s neck.

But he was able to sidestep it quickly and dodge the blow. He also raised his sword and countered Aidon’s attack.

“Not this again.” I heard dad mutter before Aidon swung his sword once more. I had difficulty following their attacks for they moved faster than I could focus. Then, I felt several more familiar powers in the air and Apollo, Hephaestus and Hera emerge.

And then there was another one...

I immediately looked to my left and realized that Thanatos was not there anymore. Had he managed to free himself during the commotion?

A shadow appeared before me and then Thanatos emerged. Why didn’t I realize he’d gone? How was he able to free himself? And why did his power feel different but familiar at the same time?

I looked at him and he really looked different. He pulsated with power and there were shadows swirling around him. His wings were dark and the feather tips looked as sharp as daggers.  Also, he looked taller and more muscular and there were black tattoos inked over his chest and arms. I looked at the other Gods and they were in their true form.

Could it be that this is Thanatos’ true form?

When did he change? Why did I not feel the huge burst of power that happens when they unleash their true powers?

“Aurea!” he exclaimed and then quickly flew towards me.

When he reached me, he hugged me tightly and ran his hands down my arms as though checking for any injury. Then, he quickly got hold of the chains and I felt him start directing his power towards it.

“Are you alright? Speak to me please. Tell me you’re fine.” He said in a desperate tone. I was stunned by the change in him and I was speechless for a few more seconds. We were just together a couple of minutes ago but why did he act as though he has missed me for a really long time?

“Gods.” He whispered as he continued working on the chains. After a few more seconds and I’ve not yet replied, he placed his fingers under my chin and tilted my head upwards so that he could look deep into my eyes. And as always, those intense eyes of his seemed to reach straight towards my soul.

“Thanatos—“

“Thank heavens... I thought you were back under his control. And thank heavens you’re fine. I’ll get you out of here and I’ll kill Cronus too.” He vowed in a deadly tone.

“Aurea!” another voice shouted from behind me.

Immediately, confusion flooded my entire body. Thanatos was before me but there was another Thanatos behind me. The one before me looked different and the one behind me looked like the one I’ve been trapped with for several days on the cave. The one behind me had black wings and was wearing the usual cargo pants I loved so much. And it was muddy and tattered because of all the days we spend in the cave.

“What’s going on...?” I backed away from both of them as I tried to make sense o the situation.

“Who the hell are you?! Aurea, it’s me!” the tattooed Thanatos shouted to the other one.

“He’s fake, Aurea! I am the real one! We’ve been at the cave together. I still have the chains to prove it. He is a product of Cronus’ illusion to trick you into being under his control again!” the black-winged Thanatos behind me replied.

“I am the real one! Aurea, please... Come to me. I can’t lose you again.” The tattooed one told me. He took a step closer towards me but I took another step back.

“I can’t...” I whispered. I looked at them back and forth as I gauged which is the real Thanatos. But right now, I can’t. There was so much power in the air that I was having a difficult time recognizing which belonged to whom. And also, I have never seen Thanatos’ true form before. I was not even sure he had a new one.

What if this one before me was just an illusion? And I was being lured back into Cronus’ clutches?

And if he was the real one, who have I been with during the past three days? Is the one I spoke with just an illusion?

From the corner of my eye, I saw Hades and Aidon continue to fight as my father tried his best to reach me. But Aidon kept blocking him every step of the way. For as long as I can remember, father has been training Aidon to fight. They were both excellent warriors and they were familiar with each other’s moves. Aidon learned everything from my father. They were very well-matched and I think this fight between them could go on for all of eternity.

And here we were, having this conversation while all around us the war began. The Olympians faced off against Cronus while my father faced Aidon.

And around us, the air was filled with static electricity. Lightning shot towards Cronus but he was able to dodge it effectively. Poseidon tried to shake the earth but it was of no use for Cronus had more power over the earth for he was a Titan.

Ares tried to use his skills as a warrior but he couldn’t even come close enough. Artemis and her huntresses fired their silver arrows but even though they met their mark, their magic was nothing to a Titan. Apollo stood beside them and he too used his bow and arrows equipped with flames. But also, they were too powerless to affect Cronus. Hecate also chanted her spells but it just bounced off the Titan’s skin.

Also, I saw Demeter try to control the vines and prepare traps for Cronus. Beside her stood all the other minor Gods and Goddesses who tried to help the battle in whatever way they could.

And yet again, Cronus mocking laughter filled the air.

“How did you defeat me in the first place when you all were a bunch of pathetic fools?!” Cronus taunted. Then, he turned and summoned his magic. Instantly, he was transformed into a tornado that destroyed a large part of the cliffs. Because of his power, the soil eroded and a large chunk fell into the ocean.

And while he was in that form, no power or weapon can penetrate it and he was wreaking havoc on the Olympian Gods.

And all around me, the war raged on and on...

And here I was, without an ounce of magic to help the battle. Here I was, confused as hell and trying to choose which is real and which is not between the two faces of the man I loved. 

****************************************

And please don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT on this chapter, please? Thanks! :)

Twitter:                     http://twitter.com/AerithSage
Got questions?:     http://ask.fm/AerithSage
My Blog:                  http://aerithsage.tumblr.com
Facebook:               http://facebook.com/
AerithSageWP

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22 0 31
The darkness of the past catches up to the present and looms over the future. The now-grown undead god meets someone from his past for the last time...
195 4 26
Jolene and Jupiter were born into a family of Demi-Gods. The girls are very special because when twins are born they acquire powers of a God or Godde...
134 7 11
Eve Mallory doesn't know who she is. With mysterious scars on her back and tattoos along her arms, she is at a loss of what has happened in her past...
1.4K 82 4
10 years ago, a mother lost all three of her kids, she couldn't find them anywhere, and after a few months of searching, the police gave up, and soon...