Winter Getaway - A Storm and...

By tiesandspies

When Mr. Ambrose has to conduct business for the weekend while staying in a cabin in a small village, Lilly i... More

chapter one
chapter two
chapter three - part one
chapter three - part two
reader written scene!
chapter four - part one
chapter four - part two
author's note #2
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter nine
author's note!
chapter ten - part one
chapter ten - part two
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
author's note.
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter eighteen and a half
chapter nineteen
chapter nineteen - extra scene
chapter twenty - part one
chapter twenty - part two
chapter twentyone
An Alternate Beginning
An Alternate Engagement
An Alternate Ending

chapter eight

11.6K 526 79
By tiesandspies

read the author's note <3

Ambrose's POV

I did not get much sleep at all during the night. After Lilly had kicked me out of her room, I had laid in bed till I saw bright rays of sunlight shining through the window. My eyes physically hurt and I was very aware of how tired I was. Once I got up from the bed, I immediately looked out through the window and hoped that not too much snow had fallen the night before. If the ground was covered in snow then I would not be able to make it to my meeting and that could hold serious consequences for my business reputation.Thankfully, the ground was only lightly covered in snow and would be easy for a horse and carriage to sledge through.

Changing into my usual business attire for the day as quickly as I could, I grabbed my cane and opened the door just a crack to peer carefully out of it. I would never admit it out loud, but I was a little nervous to face Lilly today. If she was still angry from last night then I would have a very fiery ifrit to deal with. And that was really the last thing I wanted to encounter before I sat down for four hours with three hard-headed businessmen.

"Karim!" I stepped out of my room and whisper-shouted, hoping my bodyguard would hear me before she did.

"Are you hiding from someone?"

I turned around to see her leaning against the door to her room, sipping a teacup. Fully straightening myself, I cleared my throat and gave her the usual glare.

"I thought you might be asleep so I was just trying to be quiet," I replied.

"Oh please! That would be a thoughtful thing to do, and you're not a thoughtful person. So I know you're lying," She spat back.

I told you, fiery.

"Uh huh, well, I must really be on my way," I turned around and headed towards the front door, not wanting to have any conversation with her.

Turning around I yelled back to her, "Tell Karim to meet me outside. The carriage driver said he would be here at eight sharp."

Closing the door behind me I pulled my pocket watch out and checked the time. It was only half past seven, which meant I would be standing in the cold for thirty minutes if I was to keep avoiding Lilly.

"You have two options and only one of them is correct. You can freeze to death out here or you can man up and talk to her," my conscience told me.

"Looks like I'll be freezing to death," I grumbled.

However, after ten minutes passed I realized that I would not be able to control my empire if I was dead, and I went back inside. I would have to deal with the ifrit whether or not I wanted to.

Setting my cane down by the door, I sat on a chair in the parlor and hoped she would not come out to talk to me.

Hoping never really got me anywhere.

"Still trying to avoid me?"

She was back.

"As I said before Miss Linton, I am not avoiding you," I replied calmly.

Taking a few steps towards me, I could see the smug expression on her face clearly. How had she gone from disheartened last night to smug this morning? I was only very good at keeping one emotion for a period of time.

"I've decided that I am not going to ask you again," Lilly said, finally.

My gaze snapped suddenly to hers, and I thought I had not heard her right.

"What?"

"I am not going to ask you about your feelings anymore since it wouldn't matter anyway."

"Why would it not matter? It seemed to matter a great deal last night," My eyebrows furrowed together.

"Oh, I was only curious last night. And, it wouldn't matter since I have no feelings for you."

I wanted to blurt out that that was a lie. I thought I knew she cared for me just as I cared for her. She was just unwilling to admit it, just as I was. But, as I thought about it more, I realized she could be telling the truth. I was completely assuming that she cared for me when in reality I could just be fooling myself. My confused state reminded me of why I stayed away from emotional situations when I could.

"Then we are both on the same page," I replied blankly.

"Good. We're on the same page," She told me, without a single break in her voice.

"And since you clearly cannot follow my orders," I pushed past her, "I will have to go get Karim myself."

She did not reply to me, and for some strange reason I could not help but feel guilty for what I said to her as I walked down the hallway to summon my bodyguard.

***

"Well, Mr. Harrison, that proposal sounds fairly decent but we will have to cross check how Mr. Ambrose feels about it."

I heard the voices speaking and I could feel the pairs of eyes around the table turn to stare at me, but I had no idea why.

"Maybe, if you weren't thinking about Lilly you would actually pay attention."

My inner voice was right. I was supposed to be completely and fully focused on making this business deal, yet here I was completely zoned out because of that infernal woman!

And in that moment, I knew something was wrong. No, I wasn't in grave danger. But, I certainly wasn't safe. I took great pride in my business, and my ability to handle complicated business matters. Yet, here I was, with ten or so fellow businessmen staring at me, with no clue of what was going on. Something was certainly wrong with me. Whether I wanted to admit it or not, I knew it had everything to do with Lilly.

"Mr. Ambrose," Mr. Harrison cleared his throat loudly, "Is something the matter?"

"No, no, nothing is the matter. I am just thinking over your proposal and I feel there are a few gaps. Would you mind going over it again? Making sure not to skip any important details."

Mr. Harrison's eyes narrowed and I knew he did not want to give his almost hour long presentation all over again.

"Just a summary, would do," I clarified, hoping this would put him at ease.

His face relaxed and he nodded at me, "Of course, Mr. Ambrose."

And with that he was off repeating his whole spiel, though, this time I made it a point to pay close attention, something I had never had trouble with before.

***

"Stop here!" I yelled out at the carriage driver.

"Sahib, why are we stopping at the market?" Karim asked me.

"I need to buy some more food for tonight and tomorrow morning, before our journey back home," I explained.

"Shall I come with you, Sahib?"

"No, you can wait here. I will be fine."

To be completely honest, stopping at the market was not just about buying food for the night. I reckoned I had enough apples to last me for a week. I really just wanted to clear my head and arrange my thoughts before I would have to see Lilly again. I was growing quite tired of the constant arguing and I wanted to collect my thoughts so I could be on the same level as her. Darn emotional situations!

Walking around and collecting a few food items I needed, I saw a small shop across the road that sold coats. Some were a plain brown color while others were completely covered in fur. I knew the winter storm that had passed through last night would have hit London as well. My old winter coat was starting to come apart by the seams no matter how hard I tried to keep it in mint condition. Doing something I didn't like to do often, I decided to spend money on a new coat.

I ended up choosing a thick wool coat with no fur on it. Surprising as it may sound, fur wasn't really my thing. Taking it up to the shopkeeper, I prepared to pay for my new coat.

"I am actually having a sale!" The plump woman practically yelled in my face.

"You can get two of these coats for only seventy pounds, instead of forty pounds each," She gestured to the other coats in her shop.

"Thank you ma'am, but I am quite content with only one," I replied her.

"Oh, but dear two coats is better than one! You can get two different kinds! Choose one with fur for a more elegant look," She drones on.

"I am not looking for a more elegant look, I shall be satisfied with one coat."

"Maybe you can buy another one for a friend! A gift for your brother? Or your father? Maybe even your employer!"

I gritted my teeth together, quickly growing tired of this woman's antics, "I do not have a friend, brother, father, or employer. So, I will be taking only one coat."

I tried to hand her the money for one coat but she wouldn't take it out of my hand.

"Sir. We even have some feminine coats. Maybe you could get one for your mother, your sister, or maybe a special someone," She wiggled her eyebrows at me.

I cursed myself for letting my mind flash to Lilly for a few seconds when the robust woman mentioned a 'special someone'." Sighing, I knew I was not going to wrangle my way out of the woman's shop very easily.

***

"Sir, why did you purchase two coats?" Karim asked the second I settled inside the carriage.

"I wanted to." I answered him simply, not wanting to delve into the whole story.

His mouth quickly closed, and he remained silent on the entirety of the ride back to the cabin. As we approached, I knew what was in store for me there. Either a very angry, or very indifferent Lilly. Neither were quite to my liking. And when things weren't to my liking, I fixed them. So I made a decision there, in the carriage, a few seconds away from the cabin, that I would change the situation.

When Karim and I walked through the door, I immediately was on the lookout for her. When I didn't see her in the parlor, I went into the kitchen to put away some of the foodstuffs I had purchased.

"You're back later than expected."

I slowly turned around to find her in the kitchen, glaring at me. It was the second time today that she had surprised me with her sudden appearance.

"I went to buy a little more food to hold us over till we leave tomorrow," I explained.

"Well, I was just going to tell you not to bother me tonight," Lilly commented.

I suppressed a grin, "That is strange. You're usually the one bothering me."

"Oh, shut up!" She spun around and started to walk out of the kitchen before I grabbed her arm and turned her back around towards me.

"Wait, Lilly," I murmured.

She looked at me as if my head had sprouted flowers, "What did you call me?"

"It doesn't matter, I just wanted to say that--" I paused.

"Say what?" Her eyes narrowed.

"I wanted to say that I am sorry," I breathed.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Thank you guys so much for being patient with this update, i know it took longer than usual. I started a new book and I'm so excited for you guys to start reading it. I uploaded chapter 1, so please go check it out on my profile! It's called "How to Save a Princess." Leave criticism and opinions and WHATEVER else in the comments on there. LEAVE LIKE A BAZILLION COMMENTS! ACT LIKE YOU'RE MY PERSONAL EDITORS! then, once I finish writing this fanfiction(in a few chapters!) i'll be switching over to that book full time! also thanks for 100 followers!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.7M 2M 50
Family - the most important thing in the world, right? If it's your own, maybe. But if it's the family of the incredibly powerful, incredibly allurin...
292K 11.9K 4
The tables are turned: having magically stopped aging in the 19th century, Lilly Linton is no longer the secretary slaving for cold, stone-faced busi...
58.8K 2K 11
*STORM AND SILENCE BELONGS TO THE FANTASTIC ROB THIER* When Lilly receives her first paycheck, she starts wondering- what to do with the money? Besid...
24.3K 810 6
Mr. Ambrose drags Lilly to Portugal in order to do business. Little does she know, she's being led into war zone, where rutless populars just want to...