chapter two

Ambrose's POV

    I pulled out my silver pocket watch and glanced at the time. It was a chilly Friday morning and the carriage taking me to the village had just arrived. I, normally, would be perfectly content with only using my small chaise, but Lilly absolutely insisted that the chaise would not last through the ride and would break down before we got to the village. Though I did not want to, I had to admit that she was right. Surprisingly, instead of arguing with her or threatening to deduct the cost of a carriage from her wages, I simply agreed and ordered for one to be at the front of my building at seven in the morning on Friday. Funny how a carriage could obey such a simple order and yet Lilly could not.

    After glancing at the watch again, I started tapping my cane on the ground impatiently. I liked to tap things, whether it be a pen or my cane, when I became impatient, it was a personal tick of mine. I had asked Lilly to be here at exactly seven am sharp and yet here I was at three minutes past seven with her nowhere to be found. I knew giving in and taking her along was a terrible idea.

    "Mr. Ambrose!"

    I whirled around to see Ms. Linton standing in front of me wearing a large winter coat and gripping a small suitcase in her hand.

    "You're late." I stated simply.

    "It's seven o'clock, like you said," she replied nonchalantly.

    I briefly closed my eyes in frustration. Did she not own a watch or clock? It was clearly now four minutes past seven!

    "No, Mr. Linton it is actually four minutes past seven."

    "Same thing," She shrugged, smiling at me.

    Now, I did not think I was an unreasonable man, so I did not think it was out of the ordinary for me to be angered at her shrug. Being late was a waste of time and knowledge is power, is time, is money! She was perfectly aware about how I felt about time being wasted yet she felt it acceptable to shrug and act as if my four minutes were not important. Despite my anger at her nonchalant viewing of my time, I almost couldn't suppress the smile I felt coming. Though I did not think I was unreasonable, I would admit that I could at times be very serious about things. Lilly, however, did not take everything seriously like I did. Her unconcerned attitude was very refreshing and always seemed to make my day better. Her smile was also a nice addition to my day. She had such nice teeth and plump pink lips, sometimes it was hard to focus when she flashed her lovely smile at me. Actually it was---

    "Is that a smile I see, sir?" She broke me out of my thoughts.

    I hadn't realized that by thinking about her smile, I myself had started to smile. I quickly pressed my mouth in a hard line and glared at her.

    "It was simply the cold making my teeth chatter," I lied.

    "Uh huh."

    I turned swiftly around and pulled open the door of the carriage without waiting for the driver.

    "Get in."

    "What a gentleman," I heard her mumble under her breath.

    I was opening the door of the carriage for her so clearly I was being a gentleman. I couldn't understand why she said it with such sarcasm.

    "Why isn't Karim riding inside the carriage with us?" Lilly asked the second I had sat down across from her.

    "He did not want to. He preferred sitting with the driver," I replied curtly.

    "Oh nonsense! It's a few hours ride, and he deserves to sit inside with us."

    "He mentioned something about not wanting to be in close quarters with the Ifrit, if I remember correctly..." I mumbled quietly turning towards the window of the carriage.