chapter four - part two

Ambrose's POV

"So, what exactly is it that you are going to make?" Lilly asked, staring at the ingredients I had laid out.

"Mm," I deliberated, "Probably a simple chicken potato soup with some vegetables."

"Sounds boring."

"I do not care whether or not you think my dinner choices are exciting Mr. Linton, if you would like a fully roasted pig then you should try the other nearby cabin."

I could feel her rolling her eyes next to me.

"Fine. Soup and vegetables it is."

"It was going to be soup and vegetables whether you had said 'fine' or not," I brought to her attention.

"Okay okay, just show me how it's made."

And so I went on, showing her how to make sure the ingredients were properly washed, how to chop up the vegetables, how to put in the firewood to heat the stove, and eventually how to put the whole meal together. Of course, even though I had told her not to ask any questions, she had managed to ask a thousand questions. And of course, even though I told her to be careful, she had managed to burn her index finger while warming up the stove.

"Mr. Linton let me see your finger," I commanded after the soup was finished boiling.

"No, no, it's fine," She said, wincing as she touched the small burn.

"Clearly it is not fine. I think there may be a bandage somewhere."

I left her in the kitchen and went into the bathroom to see if there were any medical supplies.

"If she said it was fine, why didn't you just leave it alone?"

There went that voice in my head again, always seeming to judge whatever action I decided to take. What was he trying to prove anyway? I had my reasons for everything I did.

"And what is your reason for tending to Miss Linton?"

"Mister," I corrected him.

"Oh please, you know very well she is a Miss. In fact, you've seen it with your own eyes. Remember when you 'accidentally' burst into the bathroom when she was preparing to shower?"

Why in the world did he have to say accidentally like he did not believe it? It was an accident!

"Uh huh."

"You're starting to sound like her, you know."

"Well, I am only your conscience. You think about her so much, I am starting to gain bits of her personality!"

"Shut up," I growled.

"Sahib, who are you talking to?" Karim asked, startling me.

"No one," I replied, regaining my composure.

"Now do you know where the bandages are?" I asked, ignoring his concerned expression.

* * *

"Stop moving," I told Lily as she continued to squirm under my touch.

"Sorry, sir, but it hurts!"

"Well, it will not hurt after I put the bandage on it," I reassured her.

"Uh...yes it will..."

"Just stop complaining!" I commanded.

Lilly immediately clamped her mouth shut and was silent as I finished wrapping the small bandage around her finger.

"There. It is all done Mr. Linton."

"Why do you sometimes act like you care?"

"Because I do Mr. Linton."

The words were out of my mouth before I even realized what I was saying. I had just admitted to her that I cared, something I had vowed that I would not let her find out.

"You what?"

"Nothing."

"No, no, it sounded like you just admitted that you cared about me," She teased.

"It slipped out."

"But, you meant it," Lilly smiled up at me.

I looked down at her large eyes and felt a tug towards them. A tug towards her. I knew I meant it, she knew I meant it, and my conscience definitely knew that I meant it. Maybe it was time for me to stop denying everything and come to terms with how i felt about her. I looked back at her soft eyes that were now staring at me as intently as I was staring at her. Maybe it was time for me to finally do what I wanted to. I leaned in closer to her, apprehensive to whether she would stop me or not. She did not.

Just then a voice interrupted us and I pulled back immediately.

"Sahib! Someone is at the door!" 

author's note: this is quite short but don't worry because the next update will be MUCH longer and hopefully a nice surprise. thank you for 15k reads and almost 700 votes! the sequel to Storm and Silence has been titled  "In the Eye of the Storm." Make sure you're following RobThier so you'll be notified when he starts it!