chapter eighteen and a half

Croonie's POV

Idiots.

That's what they all were.

Absolute imbeciles.

I tried to keep the usual docile look on my face as I smoothed some of the wrinkles out of my skirt.

The mayor of that dreadful village had recognized Mr. Ambrose immediately and lended him a carriage, as I had suspected. Now him, his pathetic lover, and I sat in the small thing, on our way to England. I couldn't even be bothered by his driver and bodyguard who sat outside the carriage, despite the cold weather and crisp chill outside.

"Oh!" I squealed, as the carriage went over a small bump.

I pretended not to notice as Lilly rolled her eyes at me and Mr. Ambrose let out a huff of breath. I had done that several times in the last few minutes and I knew they were well annoyed. Just as I had planned.

The fools thought they had outwitted me. Once Mr. Ambrose had put on his wonderful performance to get me on their side, I knew I had won. I knew I'd get what I wanted. They would take me to London.

I wasn't sure what they planned of doing with me once they got there. Probably locking me up in some prison or forcing me into servitude. Either way, it didn't matter. I'd be out of their grasps before they could even notice I'm missing.

How daft of them to underestimate my abilities! I had led a small legion of bandits for years and some man thought he could trick me with his smooth voice and pretty eyes. If only men did not overestimate the effect they had on the female sex. Maybe then he would be able to see I am not one easily fooled.

"Are we close yet?" I asked, leaning my head closer to Mr. Ambrose and wrapping my hands back through his arms.

"I believe we still have a few hours," he murmured.

Though I was not tempted by his charm, I would admit his voice, when tired, sounded quite nice.

I could tell the girl was affected by it as well. Her chubby little cheeks turned a warm pink color, when he looked at her as he spoke. Poor child! Stupidly in love with a powerful man. I could tell her from experience, that it was not worth it. She was young and foolish, he would soon enough toss her aside for a real lady, one more experienced than herself. Also, probably one slimmer and hopefully more attractive.

I watched as Mr. Ambrose's eyelids started fluttering and waited till they were shut for a few seconds before I squeaked, "Are you comfortable, my darling? You look quite stiff!"

His eyes immediately opened wide and relaxed again once he realized it was me.

"I'm very comfortable, Croonie," he groaned.

"Just making sure, sugar," I ran my fingers through his dark hair.

My good ears immediately caught Lilly's sharp intake of breath when she saw my action.

I had no reason to anger the girl, it was not quite necessary to my plan. Yet, her childish reactions and looks of frustration made it so deliciously pleasing.

Looking between both of them I could tell they thought I was an absolute fool. And annoying too. But that didn't matter. As long as they thought I was innocent.

author's note: a small gift from me to you, to set up the coming ending of this story and most importantly to thank you for 150k reads (which is insane) and for getting over 100 votes in less than 24hrs on the last chapter!

p.s. I realize you probably all hate Croonie now but pulling one over Ambrose??? WHAT A LEGEND HONESTLY