An Alternate Beginning

author's note: little__ifrit and I decided to get together and give you guys a little gift to wrap up 2015! This is our rendition of what would happen if Lilly & Ambrose met as just a man and a woman. We tried really hard to make it as cute and enjoyable as possible and we tried to incorporate Lilly & Ambrose's feelings from chapter 1 all the way through chapter 97 in just one chapter so of course it may seem like it is moving fast. We worked really hard on this though and we hope you like it! Make sure you check out her fanfic as well! And as always, characters and main story line belong to RobThier

An Alternate Beginning

Ambrose's POV

I did not want to attend the ball tonight.

That was the only thought that went through my mind as my carriage pulled up to the grand hall that would be holding tonight's ball. The fact that I'd had to use a carriage instead of my typical chaise irritated me. Society was all about showing off your wealth. If I could have only declined my invitation, I would be perfectly content spending the night working at my office. But, however much I hated society, I had to stay somewhat connected as a businessman, and there was the small matter of Lord Dalgliesh...

Still, I did not like the idea of having to be at a ball for hours upon end. It seemed like it would only be an endless night of listening to men boast of their conquests and gambling, and women talk about the frills on their dresses and the latest gossip. Being in society was truly a waste of time.

After deliberating these thoughts for a few more minutes I decided that I had brooded enough, it was time to face the socialites and all their theatrics and boastings. Stepping out of my carriage, I began the long walk to the entrance hall of Lady Bligh's residence, already dreading the next few hours.

Lilly's POV

"Lilly, could you have chosen a plainer dress?" my aunt complained, "You could have at least found some colorful ribbon to add to it," she scowled at me disapprovingly.

I rolled my eyes and turned away from my tortuous aunt.

The carriage rolled on and I looked out of the windows, enjoying the view of London at night. It was peaceful, unlike what it would be like at the ball; noisy, filled with gossip and chauvinists who were a complete waste of a perfectly fine evening.

As the carriage came to a stop in front of the grand hall, I mentally prepared myself for the evening. I only hoped I would meet someone who wasn't nearly as predictable as the usual Englishman or woman.

* * *

It had been nearly an hour, and there was little entertainment for the evening. In fact, the only fun I'd had was rejecting the poor sods who tried to get me to dance. Under my aunt's nose, of course. I had felt someone's eye on me a few times, but didn't acknowledge it, thinking it was another one of the halfwits who had asked me to dance.

I was contemplating sneaking off to find something to do, when my sister Maria walked up to me clutching the arm of a gentleman. She was smiling broadly, looking like she had managed to secure the Queen herself. Looking up, I realized that she had good reason to be happy, he certainly was what most would consider a catch.

He looked powerful, intelligent, and sinful. One could easily tell he was wealthy and of power. Handsome, with honey colored hair, and steely blue eyes. Strength coursed through his body, leaving a clear message in the mind of the beholder. With quick eyes and a breathtaking smile, it wasn't a shock to see that he had a beautiful woman on his arm, and that he could have had any woman he wanted, doing anything he liked. Looking at his eyes, a shiver ran through me. He was dangerous and he knew it, and he knew that everyone else knew it as well.