chapter seven

Lilly's POV

Once his lips touched mine, I knew exactly what I had to do. Laying my hands on his chest softly at first, I shoved him back with such force that he almost fell off of the bed. Regaining his balance, he looked at me, clearly bewildered. Pretty boy wasn't used to getting rejected, was he?

Pointing a finger in his face, I said, "No. No way. Not this again! You do not get to kiss me whenever you feel like it and then pretend it didn't happen! There's no way I'm letting you do that again."

He stared at me and blinked. And that's all he did for a full minute. He just stared, and blinked. Was he going to say something? Shoving him away from me and accusing him was very gutsy of me, but I was proud I did it. I was sick of him kissing me! Well...okay... so maybe I wasn't sick of him kissing me. But, I wasn't happy with him trying to hide the fact that we kissed the first time, and I wouldn't let it happen again.

"So, what you are saying is, I can only kiss you if I am willing to acknowledge it? Am I supposed to bring it up in our daily conversations? Perhaps a 'Hello, how are you, remember our kiss the other day?' would be more satisfying to you."

My jaw nearly fell on the ground. Was he being cheeky with me? His reply made it seem like what I had said was the stupidest thing ever. Of course I didn't want him to talk about our kiss in day-to-day conversation, I just didn't want him to hide his feelings from me.

"You know good and well that's not what I mean!" I snapped at him.

Though I had leaned back onto the headboard of the bed, I could still feel the heat of his body radiating in my direction. Or, maybe it was the candle that he had brought into my room? It was probably the candle.

His eyebrows furrowed, "No. I am not sure what you mean at all."

"If you kiss me, that means you have feelings for me. So if you're going to kiss me ever again, you have to be able to admit to that. That is what I'm saying."

He did the staring and blinking thing again, except for longer this time. Two whole minutes passed as he did absolutely nothing but look at me and blink. I had started to count the seconds when he finally spoke up.

"You want me to admit that I have feelings for you?" He said slowly.

Um, duh. Isn't that what I just said? Sometimes I was really skeptical as to how Mr. Ambrose had risen to be such a successful businessman when he truly had such a hard time deciphering my simple statements.

Holding back my sass, I replied to him, "Why, yes, that is what I said."

"Which feelings do you want exactly? My feelings of frustration or annoyance?"

I felt my hand immediately want to lift up and hit him again, but I decided against it. He knew exactly what he was doing and he was sure he would get a reaction from me.

"You are acting awfully haughty for a man who just tried to kiss his supposedly 'male' employee and was denied," I boasted at him.

His eyes narrowed and I saw his jaw clench. My, he was so emotional tonight!

I continued, "I gave you my conditions. It is your choice to either comply or leave. Bickering with me is not going to get you what you want. Which is me, by the way."

His eyebrows shot up into his hairline. Okay, that's an exaggeration. But, they shot up really far.

"You believe I want you, Miss Linton?"