chapter four - part one

Ambrose's POV

Twenty five minutes.

That is how long it took me to get back to the log cabin. In a carriage it would have only taken around ten minutes. Therefore, Lilly had wasted about fifteen minutes of my time. Too bad I was not paying her for this weekend, because then I would have been able to deduct the wasted time from her wages.

Bursting through the front door of the cabin, I immediately started searching for Lilly, hoping she'd have a very convincing reason as to why she thought it okay to leave me at the market.

"Mr. Linton," I called out, setting my coat and cane down on an old piece of furniture in the parlor area.

When I heard no answer, I called out again, "Mr. Linton!"

"Yes, sir?" I heard her reply from what sounded like the kitchen area.

Walking into the kitchen I saw Lilly standing over one of the counters, slicing up some of the apples I had purchased.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm making us a snack! I figured we might want to eat something before the dinner you're making would be ready, and besides, these are some of the best apples in all of England," She smirked at me.

Oh, I could strangle her.

"Mr. Linton, do not ever run off in the carriage without me, again!" I exclaimed.

"But I won the competition!"

I stepped closer to her, closing the distance between us in three easy strides.

"There. Was. No. Competition!"

"Think what you'd like sir, but either way I came home in the carriage and you did not."

My mouth pressed into a hard line. Why did she insist on being so infuriating?

"Fine, Mr. Linton, you won," I caved in.

Lilly looked like she had won the lottery, but I could not blame her. Getting me to agree was the equivalent of winning the lottery.

"Glad you finally see eye to eye with me Mr. Ambrose."

"I do not see eye to eye with you, I am just agreeing so you will stop mentioning it!"

Her smile absolutely refused to falter.

"Now if you're done slicing apples," I continued, "I would like to start preparing my dinner."

"Your dinner?"

"Yes, my dinner. If there is some left over, you may have it."

"How gracious of you, sir."

"Not gracious," I corrected, "Just practical. Throwing extra food away is a waste."

Lilly shook her head slightly, as if she wasn't surprised that I would answer like that.

"Can I watch you cook?" She asked, suddenly.
"We have a cook at home," She continued, "So I don't know how. It would be interesting to learn."

"Only people that cannot afford cooks learn how to cook," I replied.

"What if I am ever in that position? I want to acquire the skill," She crossed her arms over her chest and glared at me, moving in slightly closer.

"If you marry well, you would never find yourself in that position," I stated point-blank at her.

I knew that if Lilly married well, she would never have to lift a finger for the rest of her life. While that was what most women wanted, I couldn't imagine her being complacent with sipping tea and buying new ribbons for her dresses. She had too much excitement for adventure and much too sharp a tongue to sit at home and be a quiet wife. That was what most men looked for, and something Lilly could not provide. However, men seemed to be enthralled by women with personalities that were different from all the rest, and Lilly could provide that. Some gentleman would stumble upon her and get so caught up in her strong opinions, he would want to marry her immediately. I felt bad for the man already. Yet, I also felt something else towards the man that would marry her. What was it?

"Jealousy. That's what it is," That pesky voice inside my head sneered at me.

Most times I wanted to hit that voice in my head with my cane, but this time I found it hard not to agree with it.

"What interest do you have in my married life?" Lilly's voice broke me out of my extensive thoughts about her being married.

"None," I said sharply, "None at all. "

"Liar," The voice chimed in again.

I would have to get rid of that voice soon. It had been driving me crazy ever since... the kiss.

"Yes, you may watch me cook, but do not ask questions," I told her, shaking away all thoughts of the kiss.

"It's a deal," She smiled at me.

I fought the urge to smile back.

author's note: I'm currently on vacation and i don't have my laptop and writing a chapter on a cracked iPhone 6 screen is difficult, but i hope you like it! i really hate splitting chapters up but I'm doing it again because this is SO SHORT and there's so much more i want to happen but i haven't updated in like a week so i wanted to give you guys something!thank you for 11k reads, enjoy!