chapter thirteen

THANK YOU FOR 100K READS!

Ambrose's POV

I put my hand up to my face and rubbed where the back of Lilly's palm had hit. It had been quite a slap — much better than the first time she slapped me. This time I felt the effect of her hand against my cheek, and the sting of the hit. How lovely, her defense skills were improving.

"How did you get in here? Are you alright? Am I still dreaming?" She rambled, a look of confusion on her face.

"No, you've woken up now. They let me in and they said I could have some time to talk to you," I explained quickly.

In a split second she grabbed the lapels of my shirt and pulled me closer, "You wouldn't believe what happened! They took me to this lady — Croonie — and she told me they were going to keep me forever unless you got them new lives or something and even if you did they're still going to keep me forever and oh God I'm going to be with them forever!"

The words tumbled out of her mouth with no pauses and I could hear the fear in her voice. I could see her hands tremble as they turned pale, clutching on tighter to my shirt. I could see the desperation in her eyes as she looked at me. It was all very unnerving, I did not know what to say. So instead, I pressed my lips softly on hers and ran a hand gently down her face.

"That's not going to change me being stuck with them forever," Lilly murmured, pulling away after a few seconds and letting go of my shirt.

I placed my hand where her heart was and felt it beat as if it were trying to jump out of her chest.

"I think you need to calm down a little. Here, I brought water," I handed her the canteen I had set down by the cot.

She gratefully took it and drank it all down with just a few gulps, wiping her mouth and setting the empty container on the floor.

"Thank you," she smiled.

"That was for both of us."

"A little too late to tell me that now, don't you think?"

I couldn't help it. I smiled. It was small. She may not even have noticed, but I felt my the muscles around my mouth involuntarily twitching up at her jesting words.

"Was that a smile?" Lilly asked, leaning towards me.

"Nothing of the sort. Take a few deep breaths," I changed the subject, "That will help subdue your heartbeat."

I watched as her eyes fluttered shut and she inhaled and exhaled. I decided I could watch her like this for hours. Her head tilted slightly back, a warm flush in her cheeks, and her face shining with serenity. She looked peaceful.

"That didn't help," Lilly retorted, as she placed her hand on her chest to feel her heart.

"You looked peaceful. Are you sure you're not more calm now?"

"Looks can be deceiving. I am actually still extremely stressed."

Taking her hand, I flipped it over so that her palm was facing upward and put two fingers over her wrist.

"Your pulse is definitely slowing down. Once you are completely calm, we can talk."

"Aren't we talking now?" She asked.

"I mean, really talk."

"About what?"

"Just wait."

"Now I'm anxious because I want to know what you're talking about."

"You're parched, stressed, and anxious — that's not a good combination," I observed..

"And starving," she added, placing a hand on her stomach.

"I will ask them to give you something to eat after this," I assured her.

"Ya know I can ask them myself?"

I drew my hand away from her and huffed in frustration, "'Ya know' not everything I say to you is belittling. I was trying to act gentlemanly."

"I don't need you act gentlemanly," Lilly crossed her arms over her chest.

"One moment, you angry at me for not being nice enough. The next, you're saying I'm too nice. Now, here we are, you don't need me to be nice at all!" I exclaimed.

"There is a difference between gentlemanly and nice. You can be nice without treating me like a baby," she replied.

"I am not treating you like a baby; I'm being respectful."

"Look," I continued, "There's no point in arguing over this. Your heart rate has slowed down now, yes?"

"Mhmm."

Glancing at the door where two of Boss' henchmen stood guard just outside, I lowered my voice.

"I believe I have a plan. However, it involves persuasion and deceit. Can you handle it?" I asked, my voice nearly a whisper.

"Of course I can!" She blurted out, her defenses immediately up.

I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes. Why did she take every statement I made as some act against her femininity — as if I were constantly belittling her as a woman?

"But," she continued, her gaze falling away from mine, "It won't work."

"And why not? I've gone over it a few times in my head. I don't see any holes," I stated matter-of-factly.

Lilly could not look at me and she started nibbling at her bottom lip. I had seen that look before. It was the look of guilt.

"Unless of course," I went on, placing my index finger under her chin and lifting her head up, "There are holes I don't know about."

Her eyes looked at me is if they were pleading me not to be angry about whatever would come next. I kept my gaze steady and set my mouth in a firm line, not making any promises.

"ImayhaveletitslipthatIwasyoursecretary," she let out in one short breath.

"What? Slower this time, Miss Linton."

"I may have it slip that I was your secretary," she repeated, ripping her eyes away from mine.

author's note: hi! you may have noticed I changed my profile picture to an ACTUAL picture of myself, to take away the mystery lol. Anyway this is just a little filler chapter so we have a little Lilly+Ambrose conversation before Ambrose loses his mind. I want chapter 14 to be really good so give me some time with it, probably around a week or more! also, whose POV do you like better, Lilly or Ambrose??