chapter nineteen - extra scene

Ambrose's POV

She planned this all along.

I knew that was the only explanation once Karim told us that she was gone. She knew that I at first had no intention of keeping my promises to her so she formulated a way for her to escape on her own. I was impressed. Very few people could outsmart me, even for such a brief period of time. And technically, her plan would not have worked had Lilly not told me to show mercy on her. Instead she would have been arrested the minute we set foot in my building.

"Mr. Ambrose..." I was pulled out of my thoughts by Lilly's soft voice saying my name.

"Not now," I cut her off, "Karim go gather some other employees and check around the building and up to a few streets around. She may not have gone that far yet."

"Yes, Sahib," and with that, he was rushing out of my office and down the stairs to obey my command.

I looked back over at Lilly, who was standing quietly, no doubt waiting for my rage. But, for some reason, she didn't seem scared or nervous.

"Ms. Linton?"

"Yes."

"What do you have to say?"

"Well," she began, losing the boyish sound to her voice, "I am sorry that Croonie has escaped. However, I'm not sorry that I told you to fulfill your promise. I did the right thing," she concluded with determination in her voice.

I felt something strange happen immediately. It felt like my heart, forgot to beat once. Or, like it was swelling up in my chest. I felt awestruck. For the past few years, I had women bow at my feet. Now here in front of me, there was a woman who had no intention of apologizing to me because she believed she had done what was right. I had to admit, it had an effect on me. Intended or not.

"Why does her escaping matter, anyway?" Lilly pulled me out of my thoughts.

She continued, "You did promise to me you were going to give her what she needed to start fresh here. Didn't you?"

"Yes, but under certain terms. For instance, her silence. Now, if she's gone, she knows your secret and she could ruin me and make money from the publicity. Do you see now?"

"So what do we do?"

"We will do nothing. I will sort this out," I informed her.

"I feel partly responsible, if you had done what you wanted, we wouldn't be in this situation."

"Hardly. As you said, you only wanted to do what was just."

Her face broke out in a small smile.

I furrowed my brows, "What?"

"Why Mr. Ambrose, it almost sounds like you're on my side."

I looked at her with all seriousness and lowered my voice, "I am always on your side, Lilly."

Lilly did not say anything for a few seconds, then her smile grew even wider as she said in a soft voice, "Now it almost sounds like you fancy me."

"Wherever would you get that thought?"

"No idea," she teased.

I...liked this. This was different. I had not experienced this before. It was different, but it felt warm and good.

"So what are we doing about Croonie?" Lilly asked again.

"I told you, we are not doing anything. And even if we were, it would not be tonight. It's been a long weekend. So long that it is in fact, already Tuesday night. You need to rest"

"Oh, but you do not need rest?" She challenged.

"No, I need rest as well."

"So we wait to see if Karim and the other men have found her and if they did't then we'll look for her in the morning."

"You need to get home in the morning," I countered.

"They don't miss me."

"I assure you they do, Miss Linton."

"Fine. But what are we going to do if they do find her tonight?" She asked.

"We will see."

authors note: i am extremely torn between continuing writing a little adventure with Lilly and Ambrose having to find Croonie or just finally finishing this fanfic in the next chapter. what do you guys think, should I continue or end? I ALSO CANT BELIEVE IVE BEEN WRITING THIS FOR A YEAR AND ONLY 6 DAYS HAVE PASSED IN THEIR WORLD.