chapter three - part one

listen to the song included while reading the chapter!

Lilly's POV

    "Thank you for your vote, Ms. Linton. Would you like a piece of solid chocolate?" The man said as I walked away from the voting booth, my dress twirling slightly.

I had just gotten to vote and I was receiving a piece of solid chocolate? What a wonderful world we lived in! I graciously accepted a piece of the brown solid chocolate the man offered and bit into it dreamily. It was so milky and delicious, I felt as if I was floating down a chocolate river.

"Would you perhaps like another, Miss?" The man asked, noticing how quickly I had finished the one he just gave me.

"What a divine man!" I thought, as I picked up another piece of chocolate off of the silver tray he was holding out to me.

Before I could bite into my new piece, a warm and large hand tapped my shoulder, causing me to whirl around.

"Did you cast your vote, Ms. Linton?" Mr. Ambrose asked, smiling at me.

"Why yes, sir, I just..." I started, before coming to a gradual pause.

Wait. I was voting. I got two pieces of solid chocolate. Mr. Ambrose was here. He called me Ms. Linton. And he was smiling. Something was wrong. My eyes narrowed as I eyed my employer.

"Mr. Ambrose, why are you smiling at me?" I asked, taking another bite into my solid chocolate.

"Because you are so beautiful, Ms. Linton," He replied, his grin growing wide.

I stumbled back a little and my eyes widened, surprised by his comment. Before I could bump into the man carrying the tray of chocolates behind me, Mr. Ambrose caught my hips and steadied me.

Now I knew something was definitely wrong. Mr. Ambrose had just called me beautiful and grabbed me in public, even though I was clearly not in my manly disguise. Not that I wasn't grateful to him for stopping me from knocking at least thirty pieces of solid chocolate onto the ground, but it was improper for him to touch a lady like this in public! Even though I couldn't shake the fact that a small part of me enjoyed the feeling of his hands on my hips.

"Uh-um, thank you Mr. Ambrose," I stammered, slowly removing his hands and letting them drop to his side.

Mr. Ambrose did absolutely nothing. He just stood there and stared at me with that silly grin on his face. This was getting strange.

"Lilly! Lilly, there you are!" My attention was diverted from Mr. Ambrose's absurd smile when I heard my aunt calling my name as she came rushing towards me.

What in the world was Aunt Brank doing in a voting area?

"Lilly, my dear child," She said, brushing her hand over my face once she reached me, "I've been looking all over for you."

Her grin was nearly as wide as Mr. Ambrose's. Then, suddenly she realized Mr. Ambrose was standing right across from me and nearly jumped a foot in the air with delight.

"Oh heavens," She started, curtsying lightly for him, "I did not see you there, Mr. Ambrose."

She quickly whirled back to me without giving him a chance to respond, "Lilly, oh pray do tell me that your Mr. Ambrose will be joining us for supper."

Supper? Why in the world would he be joining us for supper? And wait... MY Mr. Ambrose? Mr. Ambrose was in no way mine!