chapter nine

Lilly's POV

It was just another dream. Just like the one I had had the other day where Ambrose was my Mr. Ambrose, I got the right to vote, and I ate a piece of solid chocolate! That is what this felt like. An impossible dream. Mr. Ambrose apologizing to me? No way this was happening!

To prove to myself that it was just another silly dream I pinched my right arm just above my elbow. That should work right? From what I heard, if you pinched yourself while you were dreaming you would wake up.

"Ow," I squealed softly, realizing I pinched myself harder than intended.

"What on earth are you doing?" His voice was even, but he still managed to sound like he was amused and mocking me.

"Trying to wake up from this dream, of course," I stated as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Which it honestly should have been, considering how he was acting.

"This is not a dream, Miss Linton," Mr. Ambrose sounded as if he were trying to explain something to the stupidest person on the planet.

"Oh yes it is! I know a dream when I'm in one! You're calling me Miss Linton willingly, you called me Lilly a few minutes ago, and you apologized for your ginormous attitude. This can't be real."

All he did was intently gaze at me after I said all of that, but I knew that if he were capable of expression, he would have rolled his eyes.

"Again, you are not dreaming. All of this is real."

"...and I do not have a ginormous attitude," he grumbled at the end.

"Well then, do you have some sort of personality disorder? Is this a side of yourself that you have no control over? Will you remember any of this?"

"You're being ridiculous."

I chuckled lightly and tucked a lock of hair behind my ear, "Oh, I'm being ridiculous? Just yesterday you were a completely different person! Even this morning you were hiding from me."

His eyes narrowed and his lips set a straight line, "For the last time, I was not hiding from you!"

"Your insistence against it, means that you totally were," I felt a smile tug at my lips.

"Do you forgive me or not?" He completely ignored my statement.

"For what?"

"You know what."

"Yeah, but do you know what?"

The look on his face told me that he was a exasperated with me already.

"Yes I know what."

"Then, what?"

I knew that we were conversing like children, but for some reason it was kind of funny to me.

"I thought you knew what," He replied, taunting me with his tone.

If I wasn't going crazy, I thought I almost saw a small smile tug at the corner of his mouth, implying that he was enjoying this as well.

"Hey, I'm not the one apologizing here."

"You are right," Mr. Ambrose nodded, "I am sorry for the way I have treated you in the past."

This cannot be real.

"This is absolute bologna!" I said out loud, to no one in particular.

"Do you still think you are dreaming Miss Linton?"

"Since when are you genuine, and apologizing, and nice, and calling me Miss and just- just- ugh!"

"According to you I've been 'ugh' for quite some time now, I thought."