chapter nineteen

Lilly's POV

"Lilly, Lilly!"

I knew that was a call to wake up, but the sound of that high pitched voice yelling my name made me want to do anything but wake up.

"We're here, muffin, don't you see? We're in London!"

I immediately got up and looked around. All I saw were grassy pastures and a small river.

"Muffin, this is not London," I sneered at her.

"We're just on the outskirts. I've sent Karim and the driver in to bring us back presentable clothes," said Mr. Ambrose's voice from around the carriage.

I turned around to look at him and my jaw almost dropped at what I saw. Mr. Ambrose. Standing there. Shirtless.

And I'm not even joking!

"What are you doing?"

"Washing my shirt. It was absolutely filthy from our journey," he replied calmly, showing me his wet shirt.

"It's cold outside, you'll catch your death."

"Step out of the carriage, Miss Linton. You'll see it's not actually cold today, the sun is even shining."

I furrowed my brows. Why was the sun shining in winter? If this was a dream, I would not be happy.

Cautiously, I stepped out, I noticed he was absolutely right. The sun's bright rays were peeking through the clouds and while it wasn't warm, it didn't feel quite as cold either. I looked back at Ambrose who was holding his soggy shirt in his hand as if it didn't matter that he was half naked in front of us.

"When will they be back?" I folded my arms over my chest, feeling chills run down my body.

The chills were from the cold!

Not Mr. Ambrose!

"Ha, yeah right."

Oh, goodness.

"I'm dreadfully tired, do you think they'll be back soon?" Croonie followed up my question.

"Yes, both of you, they'll be back soon."

"Don't categorize me with her," I muttered under my breath.

"You are testy this morning," he said, looking at me with what I almost would call a smirk.

Not a full smirk, but I could see a little bit of it there.

"Can I speak to you? In private," I commanded him.

Croonie looked suspiciously between the both of us before saying, "Oh, don't mind me, I'll just wait in the carriage."

After watching her walk around the carriage and enter it, I waited till she wasn't staring straight at us and I yanked Ambrose's wrist and pulled him out of earshot from her.

"Violent today, are we?" He asked, massaging his wrist gently.

"Why are you in such a jovial mood this morning? You take off your shirt and suddenly you're brand new," I whispered mockingly.

"Why are you whispering?" Mr. Ambrose leaned closer to me, and I could see the depths of his deep colored eyes.

"So she can't hear us!"

"Why did you want to talk to me?" His brows furrowed, questioningly.

"We're almost in London. What's the plan with Croonie?"

"She'll be arrested the second we step foot in my building. I'm having Karim arrange that right now," Mr. Ambrose said, convinced.

I nodded. He seemed to have it figured out. Croonie would be arrested and then we would go on with our regular lives.