chapter twelve

WHOA GUYS! in my last author's note i said i would update once i got 100 votes which usually happens in 7-9 days. you all somehow got me 100 votes in about 24hrs! i totally wasn't expecting that but thank you! and since i am a woman of my word, here's your chapter! i had to write it late at night and very last minute but i hope you enjoy!

Lilly's POV

"No, you don't understand!" I pleaded loudly.

Croonie ignored my plea and just stood there smiling at me, as if what I had just said gave her the power to control the world.

I considered myself to be quick on my feet, being an employee for Ambrose I had learned to be able to get myself out of tricky situations. Yet, here I was, unable to think of any viable cover-up to explain why I said I was Mr. Ambrose's secretary.

I just stood there with my mouth agape, knowing that Croonie would know how to use this against Mr. Ambrose and that any plan he had previously would now be crushed with the weight of the words I just uttered.

I felt sick. Is that how one was supposed to feel when they did something wrong, even if it was merely accidental? My head started to feel dizzy and the aching in my feet seemed so much more noticeable.

"Look," I commanded Croonie's sky blue eyes to meet mine, "a scandal like this would completely destroy a man's reputation. Especially a man like Ambrose. Do not use it against him. Please."

"My sweet," Croonie smiled down at me, her voice taking a darker tone, "I could not care less about your gentleman's reputation. I just need him to do as we ask. Is that too much?"

"Then let me talk to him!" I tugged my hands in the ropes that still bound them, hating my limited freedom.

"Talk to him? To plan an escape? I hardly think so," She laughed heartily, throwing her head back and letting her black hair flow everywhere.

"No! No! To convince him to help you!"

Her unnerving stare pierced into me as if I were completely and utterly see-through. She sat back down on the cot and even though her head was below mine, it was clear she held the upper hand.

"And why would you do that?" Her eyes narrowed at me.

I despised how flustered I was. What would I say? Why would I do that? These people were planning on keeping me forever!

"Because you care," my inner voice chided.

"Is it because you care for him? You told me you did not love him," Croonie looked genuinely confused, cocking her head to the side to really examine her face.

"Oh great, the woman is a mind reader too. Ooh maybe I should stop talking."

"Can you not care for someone without loving them?" I ignored my inner voice.

"Pumpkin! Caring is just a step on the way to loving! Willing to save him from societal ruin? You are putting his needs above your own! That is caring and loving."

All this talk of love and caring and Mr. Ambrose was making my head spin even more.

"Is it late yet? Can I rest?"

"Yes my dear, you may rest," She got up from the cot and gestured for me to turn around.

I complied and she at once started working on the ropes binding my now sore hands.

"You may sleep in here. There will be a guard outside the door. If you need anything just talk to him and he will have someone come fetch me. I will keep this information about you and Mr. Ambrose a secret for now, but I trust you can convince him later."