chapter fourteen

Lilly's POV

I could see the small changes in Mr. Ambrose's composure. Even though he didn't completely erupt or lose his temper in a dramatic way, I saw the little signs. His face paled slightly, his fingers tensed up, his eyebrow twitched — each being a sign of anger. Everything inside me wanted to yell and quickly explain that I didn't mean it and I had just been nervous and let it slip. But, for some reason, I didn't say a word. My eyes just trained themselves on him, waiting for the words that would come out of his mouth. I felt like it was almost as if I was testing him, ready to deflect anything he had to say.

"That's okay," was simply all he said.

"That's okay? Is that it? No harshness?" I asked, flabbergasted.

"Did she realize the weight of your words?" Ambrose ignored my questions.

"What?"

"Did she realize the weight of your words?"

Probably noticing the still confused look on my face, he clarified, "Did she understand that if people got word that I had a female secretary I would be ruined?"

"Oh...yeah," I nodded solemnly, "I think she understood that quite well."

"Well then we'll just have to think of something else."

"Why aren't you angrier?"

"You made a mistake. That's it. You were in a rough situation, probably scared, and you made an error of judgement. It's okay."

"Probably scared?"

"Don't start this with me," he snapped.

My mouth quickly snapped shut. He was right, now really was not the time for us to start arguing over this

"Okay, what's the new plan?"

"So what are we going to do? What's the new plan?" I asked again, when he didn't answer.

Before he had a chance to answer, one of the men came in, harshly grabbing his arm.

"Time's up." He grunted.

"Goodnight," Mr. Ambrose said tightly to me.

"Goodnight," I replied, just as he was led out.

Laying back down on the uncomfortable cot, I decided I needed to come up with a plan. We were now in crisis mode and the only way out of this was to escape. But how was I supposed to escape a place with men guarding at every turn. And also, how was I supposed to escape with Ambrose and Karim without being able to talk over the plan with them. I ran my fingers through my short, tangled hair and heaved a sigh of frustration. All I wanted to do was bother Mr. Ambrose and have a small winter getaway. Instead I was now kidnapped with slim chances of freedom.

* * *

Hearing the door creak open, I sat completely upright as I saw a very calm looking Croonie step in holding a bowl of soup.

"I'm sorry muffin, were you falling asleep?" She asked, feigning concern.

"Um, no, just laying here," I said softly.

"Goody! I wanted to talk to you for a little bit," She walked over and harshly pushed my legs off the cot and sitting on the corner.

"Thank you," I told her as she handed me the soup.

I started to slurp it down immediately, shocked at how hungry I was after just a few hours.

"What is it like?" Croonie asked suddenly.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I stared at her over the bowl I had brought to my mouth.

"What is it like working for a man. As a secretary, you're in a powerful position."

"Oh, well I really just find files and organize stuff for him. It's not very powerful."

"But you have access to his business and important things. Women do not have opportunities like that."

I set the bowl on my lap and nodded. She was right, I was very fortunate to be in the position I was in.

"So how did you get this occupation?" She inquired more, her green eyes sparkling.

She seemed a lot nicer than she had earlier.

"It's kind of a funny story actually, I sort of tricked him."

"Tricked him? With your body?"

"What?"

"You seduced him," She flipped her raven black hair over her shoulder as if it she had just said the most nonchalant thing in the world.

I felt the blood rush to my face and I knew I must have been a deep red color. Imagining me seducing Mr. Ambrose was quite honestly, a joke.

"I didn't trick him with my body, I tricked him with my brain."

"Ha! Your brain? Everyone knows women aren't as smart as men!"

I looked at her, surprised, "Do you truly believe that?"

"Well that's what they tell us, there's scientific proof to back it up too!" She held her veiny finger up as if she was stating fact.

"That research hasn't proven anything, Croonie. A woman is not inferior to a man, whether in intelligence or anything else. We have the ability to use our brains, use our talent, and to hold another human being inside of us and bring it into this world. What man can do that?"

She blinked at me a few times, taken aback by what I had said.

"I had never thought about it that way," she fidgeted with her hands in her lap.

"Look, you don't need to use your body or your 'charming good looks' to seduce and steal from men. You could use other talents to make an honest living."

Her eyes suddenly clouded over and her soft expression turned angry, "An honest living, unlike you. You had to trick man to get your job. I'm sure you're a privileged girl, do not tell me how to live, not all of us are well off like you."

"I lost my parents when I was young! I know what it is like to not have everything and to lose what you love. I am fortunate to be taken care of by my aunt and uncle but I also know that as a woman it's my job to work for what I want," I related to her, hoping she could see the sincerity in my eyes.

"Well that Mr. Ambrose clearly fancies you, if he asked you to be his then you'd be set for life! Never having to work another day."

"What makes you think he fancies me?"

"He was begging to talk to you earlier and asked to bring you water. After we finally conceded to him, when he came out he was telling us you were hungry and needed food. He wants to make sure you're taken care of. That's what fancyin' is," Croonie slanted her eyes at me, not believing my innocence.

I almost couldn't believe the next words out of my mouth, "Yeah, maybe."

Had I just said maybe? I maybe believed Ambrose fancied me?

"Maybe indeed," She drew her words out.

Then, picking up her long skirts, she got up from the cot and took the bowl out of my hand.

"Have a good night, angel," She sneered, leaving the room.

Well, that was odd.

However, after our conversation, I did know one thing: escaping would not be as hard as I thought. Croonie was our way out.  

author's note: yay an update! thank you for being very patient with me on my hiatus. however, i am now back and ready to finish up this fanfic!