Losing Hope *EDITING*

By jensenclays

(Glenn Rhee love story) Living through hell is hard for Claire. That hell just so happens to be trying to sur... More

Chapter 1; Claire Curvel
Chapter 2; Claire Curvel
Chapter 3; Claire Curvel
Chapter 4; Claire Curvel
Chapter 5; Claire Curvel
Chapter 6; Claire Curvel
Chapter 7; Claire Curvel
Chapter 8; Claire Curvel
Chapter 9; Claire Curvel
Chapter 10; Claire Curvel
Chapter 11; Claire Curvel
Chapter 12; Glenn Rhee
Chapter 13; Claire Curvel
Chapter 14; Claire Curvel
Chapter 15; Claire Curvel
Chapter 16; Claire Curvel
Chapter 17; Glenn Rhee
Chapter 18; Claire Curvel
Chapter 19; Claire Curvel
Chapter 20; Claire Curvel
Chapter 21; Claire Curvel
Chapter 22; Claire Curvel
Chapter 23; Claire Curvel
Chapter 24; Claire Curvel
Chapter 25; Glenn Rhee
Chapter 26; Claire Curvel
Chapter 27; Claire Curvel
Chapter 28; Claire Curvel
Chapter 29; Glenn Rhee
Chapter 30; Claire Curvel
Chapter 31; Claire Curvel
Chapter 32; Glenn Rhee
Chapter 33; Claire Curvel
Chapter 34; Glenn Rhee
Chapter 35; Claire Curvel
Chapter 36; Claire Curvel
Chapter 37; Claire Curvel
Chapter 38; Claire Curvel
Chapter 39; Glenn Rhee
Choose one please (A/N note)
Chapter 41; Claire Curvel
Chapter 42
a/n; please read
Chapter 43; Claire Curvel
Chapter 44; Claire Curvel
Chapter 45; Claire Curvel
important!! please read.
sequel
a/n

Chapter 40; Claire Curvel

2.3K 53 8
By jensenclays

  "I'd really prefer that you stayed here with the others," Glenn begged. "Just this once."

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed my machete and pushed past him. "Like hell I'd sit back and not do anything."

"Claire please." I gasped as my arm was grabbed roughly, making me stop and throw a mean glare back at Glenn. The look in his eyes told me he wasn't going to back down, but neither was I. When have I ever backed down from helping out? Never and I sure as hell wasn't starting now. 

"Let go of my arm now."

I clenched my jaw, tugging my arm against his grip but he didn't let go. "Stay here. I have a bad feeling about this one," He tried to reason. "Please just listen to me."

I closed my eyes, getting annoyed by his pestering. "If something happens, something happens." I had to squeeze my hand around the machete I was holding to hold back from lashing out and saying something I definitely didn't mean. One day Glenn and I are good, the next day we're arguing over stupid things. "If you're so worried I'll be careful this time." 

The look on his face almost made me back down. Almost. I pulled my arm away from his hold before hurrying out of the cell that we were sharing. I don't get it. Any other time he wouldn't object so much to me helping clear areas out but now he was acting deathly worried. I know how to kill walkers and I know how to kill other humans if I have to. I've killed humans before, not that anyone knows still, but I could do it if it came down to that.

What is Glenn so worried about?

We risk our lives everyday. Today is no different. This is just how life is now.

I made my way quietly to where the others were getting ready. I reached out to grab a flashlight only to be stopped by Rick -a parental look on his face. Frowning, I let out an annoyed sigh. "How about you sit this one out Claire?"

I rolled my eyes, looking over my shoulder to see what Rick was staring at. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes again at the sight of the look Glenn was giving Rick.

"I'm going and that's final," I spat.

I grabbed one of the bullet proof vest, slipping it on and grabbing a flashlight off the table. I ignored any looks that I might have been getting; it's not like I wasn't used to them by now anyway. I'm not some crazy kid out here trying to get herself killed, not anymore. I can handle things like this. I know the dangers that lurk around in every corner, I know the secrets hidden in the dark, I know the risk I put on my life everyday I breath.

My eyes wandered towards Carl as Rick told him he had to stay, making me roll my eyes for the poor kid. I turned to look up at Lori who was just finishing a sigh in relief at Carl being told to stay. Doesn't she get it?  It's the worst feeling being told you couldn't do something because people feared you'd cause more damage than good; she should know the feeling more than the rest of us nowadays. 

"Let me at least help you if you're so hell bent on coming," Glenn said softly as he stepped in front of me. My eyebrows furrowed together as he tightened the straps around the sides of the bullet proof vest, pulling it so tight that I thought it would make it hard for me to move quickly. "You never know what we'll come face to face with here."

I nodded slowly, holding the flashlight I was hanging onto out to him. "I'll fix yours too then."

Glenn only gave me a small smile in thanks as he raised his arms up slightly. I could tell he was still annoyed that I wouldn't stay like he wanted to as I tightened the side straps of the vest around him. Just the vibe he was giving off almost made me want to cave in and stay just to ease his mood, but I want to help. I have to help. I don't want to just become some burden to this group again like before, I don't want them to always have to look out for me. I want them to know I can cover my own while also covering them too. 

"Let's go," Rick ordered.

I stepped back from Glenn, grabbing the flashlight I had him hold quickly and rushing off behind Hershel. I was hoping to put distance between Glenn and myself so I wouldn't have to worry about him breathing down my neck through this. But I guess I can't always get what I want. 

I was tugged back by Glenn, pushed back to right behind him. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as we all followed Daryl to the other cell block and waited for him to unlock the cell gate. My hand gripped onto the handle of the machete I was holding while the flashlight I was using was tucked into a strap of the vest I had on so it shined straight in front of me, but only below my waist. I could use the light from the others flashlights if I needed to see any higher. 

Jumping in surprise, I squinted my eyes to look at Glenn in the dark halls of the prison as his hand touched my wrist. "Stay close to me," He whispered.

I nodded, even if he couldn't see. It was harder to see during this than I thought so I definitely didn't want to get separated. Especially not away from Glenn. 

It was awfully quiet as I followed behind the others; my nerves kicking in and making me check over my shoulder in panic every few seconds. Why am I getting so worked up? I've cleared places out in the dark plenty of times before, why am I getting scared now? 

My head snapped towards the others as Glenn shook the spray can, the sudden action almost making me scream. I cleared my throat awkwardly as Maggie sent me a look while Glenn drew an arrow with the spray can. 

I shook my head at myself, stepping around Glenn to peek into the dark cell besides him. My eyes scanned over the area quickly, my free hand going up to block my nose from the foul smell coming from the two dead corpses against the wall inside. 

I jumped as someone shrieked behind me, making me spin on the heels of my shoes and tripped over my own feet. I yelped as I crashed to the ground, my machete flying out of my hands somewhere. 

"Claire!"

"Claire are you all right?" 

"You okay?" T-Dog asked as he rushed to my side.

I nodded, too embarrassed to look up at anyone else. I grabbed T-Dog's hand, pulling myself up to only stop and hiss at the pain shooting up from my foot. 

"Is it your ankle?" Glenn asked as he rushed to my side.

"It's possible she could have re-sprained that ankle again," Hershel whispered loud enough for me to hear from somewhere. "She needs to get it immediately checked."

I gritted my teeth, shaking my head. "I'm fine," I lied. 

I let go of T-Dog's arm, clenching my jaw as I walked out of the cell painfully. "Don't push yourself Claire, I can send you back with someone if it hurts," Rick spoke up.

I shook my head again. I didn't want to go back. I also don't want to take someone else with me, Rick obviously chose this many people to come for a reason. I'm not going to shorten it. 

"I can make it."

"Sorry for shrieking," Maggie apologized softly. "I didn't mean to."

I only nodded, before laughing nervously. "I lost my weapon," I pointed out. 

I looked around worriedly as the others flashed their flashlights to the ground, my heartbeat drumming in my ears as I couldn't spot it. "I don't see it," Daryl said.

Damn. Just my luck.

I looked towards Glenn, squinting my eyes as his flashlight blinded my sight. "Just stick close by me."

I didn't need to be told twice. I reached out, slightly gripping onto the shoulder part of the bullet proof vest he had on. We moved slowly behind the others, Glenn spray painting an arrow onto another wall as we moved. 

Since I no longer had a weapon to hold onto, my free hand gripped onto my own flashlight, using it to check behind us every few seconds, before focusing back on the ground so I didn't step on any dead bodies. There was nothing but dead inmates and guards, and the smell coming from them made my stomach churn uncomfortably. They all looked like they've been dead for a while, but you could never trust a corpse. It could be a walker waiting for the perfect opportunity of you letting your guard down. That was something I was not going to do any time soon. 

I limped my way behind Glenn, biting down on my lower lip from the pain shooting up my leg. I can't complain though. I don't want them to worry about me at a time like this. 

I flinched back from a loud thud up a head, my already slow walk becoming even slower as I focused on listening. 

"Go back! Go back! Move!" Rick yelled.

"Walkers!" 

I turned around, yelping out as I almost fell forward. Glenn's arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me along with him as we rushed towards back the way we came. I leaned most of my weight on him unintentionally, gritting my teeth as I pushed myself to keep moving.

"This way!" Daryl called out.

I tripped over my foot, crying out in pain as I fell straight into the wall on my side. "Get up, come on," Glenn yelled in panic.

I let him pull me up, both of us rushing behind the others as fast as I could manage. I screamed as i came face to face with a walker, pushing it back with all my force. The rotting walker fell back into more oncoming walkers, leaving Glenn and I to get cut off from the others.

"Come on," He yelled.

His hand pressed against my upper back, pushing me in front of him. We came to a door, Glenn swinging it open and hurrying us both inside before shutting the door shut quickly. I turned to look at Glenn with wide eyes, my chest rising and falling as I struggled to catch my breathe.

"Glenn what about the others?"

He looked up at me from his hunched over position, standing up straight and rushing over to me -his flashlight once again blinding my eyesight. "You're bleeding," He rushed out in one breathe. I flinched as he touched a spot on my forehead. "It isn't deep but it is bleeding a lot."

"I'm fine," I reassured. "We need to get back to the others."

Glenn nodded, wrapping a sweaty hand around my trembling one. He slowly opened the door, walking out cautiously with me behind him. "Rick?" Glenn called out.

"Hershel? Maggie?" I hoarsely called out also.

Our steps were slow as we moved, my mind racing as I checked every corner for any lingering walkers. I stopped in my short steps as a scream echoed through the halls, followed by a gunshot and wailing. My hand let go of Glenn's as I ran as fast as my foot would let me towards the noise, stopping short in disbelief. 

Tears instantly welled in my eyes as I saw Hershel on the ground, Maggie screaming no as her hand was wrapped around the back of his leg. My head begin to spin as I noticed the blood on her hands and the dead walker slumped against the wall with a bullet hole in the head. It felt like it took forever for my mind to click onto what had happened. But I wish it didn't. Hershel was bit. 

"Daryl!" Rick yelled out. 

I tried to move to help Hershel as Glenn and Rick helped him up, but my feet wouldn't move. It was as if I couldn't control my own limbs anymore. All I could do was watch in horror. 

"Glenn!" 

"We're blocked! Get back, get back!"

"Claire move!" 

Everyone's voices seemed to drown in with the walker growls that got closer and closer to me, but yet I couldn't get myself to move. I couldn't get myself to look away. I couldn't get myself to open my mouth. Everyone's voices were clamoring together while mine drowned in my throat.

"Let's go!" Someone yelled into my ear.

My arm was tugged harshly as I was dragged along with someone. My eyes only stayed focused in front of me, my body filling like it was weighed down in sand bags. We hadn't lost anybody in so long and I wasn't ready again to lose someone else. Especially not someone like Hershel. 

"Get in!"

My eyes snapped to Daryl who was pushing me towards two doors into what looked to be a cafeteria. I stumbled in, my feet moving me over to a table before my legs gave out and I dropped to my knees.

"Shut the door!"

I couldn't concentrate on anything except for Hershel's whimpering but I was too scared to look at him. I didn't want to see him become a walker. I don't want to see him die in front of my eyes.

"Claire!"

"Claire get over here!"

I shook my head, my hands covering my ears as I stared straight ahead of me at the window where if it was a normal day, ordinary life, a serving lady would be passing out plates of disgusting food to inmates. And just like that, that's all I thought about. Life before any of this. My body shook as I could hear the heart wrenching sound of bone being chopped in half.

Slowly I removed my hands from my ears, slowly turning around on my knees to see everyone huddled around Hershel except T-Dog who was up against the door.

"He's bleeding out," Rick said, his voice sounding distant.

My eyes focused on Daryl as he whispered something, giving me a head signal. I looked to the others, quickly copying what they did and ducking down as Daryl stood up with his crossbow raised. 

"Holy shit."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 1.1K 19
In which Daryl's first love is a miracle, in more ways than he is ready to acknowledge after their reunion, a year into the end of times. d...
150K 4.8K 28
❛ we're young, we'll figure it out together. ❜ the walking dead season two - t...
495 37 16
Seventeen year old Isabela Zabdiel finds herself trapped in a world where the undead roam free 24/7. Having to live on high alert for the rest of you...