Stars Landing [Book 3]

By ammorning

Sequel to Stars Aligning and Stars Falling ****This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, plac... More

Chapter 1 - Knock Knock
Chapter 2 - Plotting Revenge
Chapter 3 - Broken
Chapter 4 - Exchange Notes
Chapter 6 - See You Again
Chapter 7 - Brother Complex
Chapter 8 - Walk of Shame
Chapter 9 - Challenge Him
Chapter 10 - A True Fan
Chapter 11 - Rookies
Chapter 12 - Control
Chapter 13 - Cheater
Chapter 14 - Talking Piece
Chapter 15 - Petty Games
Chapter 16 - Papa & Mama
Chapter 17 - Towel Incident
Chapter 18 - Two Weeks Later
Chapter 19 - Pants on Fire
Chapter 20 - Intervention
Chapter 21 - Toxic Arrangement
Chapter 22 - Understand His World
Chapter 23 - The Sketch Master
Chapter 24 - Sweet & Sour
Chapter 25 - Some Guidance
Chapter 26 - Shift Things
Chapter 27 - Let's Play
Chapter 28 - Introducing Him
Chapter 29 - Queen of P.R
Chapter 30 - One Last Time
Chapter 31 - Six Months Later
Chapter 32 - Woman in Charge
Chapter 33 - Resisting His Title
Chapter 34 - Second Date

Chapter 5 - Mocha Man

182 19 0
By ammorning

Sera announced herself when she entered the apartment. Harry called back from the living area and said he was in the middle of editing a video for his YouTube channel. Sera closed the door and hung up her jacket in the front closet.

"Have you eaten?" she hollered.

"Yeah!" Harry replied.

"Traitor!"

Hanging out with Tegan had drained Sera a little. That girl's life was something pulled out of a drama network. Sera still couldn't understand what her friend was doing plotting revenge when she should be exploring other options. This Christian guy wasn't the only bachelor available. Honestly, she had an ocean to pick from. It's not that Sera didn't sympathize, she just couldn't hold grudges over one night stands. Life was too short for that.

"What video are you editing?" Sera asked, walking into the living area. They were still in the process of moving in, so the only thing they managed to set up were the essentials; dinning table, a couple of chairs, Wi-Fi and much to Harry's protest the television.

"The one we recorded in Ottawa about taking opportunities as they come," Harry answered, as Sera took a seat next to him. "I didn't get a chance to edit any of the footage with all the moving."

Sera nodded. "Makes sense."

"How is Rhea doing?"

"Good," Sera replied. "You should have  just come. I don't understand why you chickened out. It was nice seeing the girls."

Harry went quiet.

Sera rolled her eyes. "God, you're so dramatic. I told Rhea you're in Toronto, so you might as well stop by and say hi to her."

"I'm sure she doesn't want to see me," Harry frowned.

"You were so ready to see her yesterday," Sera pointed out. "I don't get what happened. She's doing really well. Her job is going great. I was getting worried because she stopped messaging me after her first month there. It was all rants about some bitch named Melanie and now she genuinely seems like she's in a good place."

"Is she dating someone?" Harry blurted.

Sera remembered the yummy suit-wearer that was standing next to Rhea before she rushed out in a hurry. What did he say his name was again? It started with a 'W'. Wally? Wallace? Something really old fashioned like that. Whatever his name was it would be best to keep him a secret from Harry. He wasn't the most supportive brother when it came to his baby sister's love life.

"Why don't you pick up the phone and ask her yourself?" Sera strategically said. This way, she wouldn't be caught between their squabble when the truth came out.

Harry's big brown eyes were focused on the screen. Besides his hulking frame and the subtle beauty mark under his left eye, the siblings had the same sandy complexion and black wavy hair. "If she wanted to talk to me she would have said something to you," he grumbled. "Seriously, she's so childish."

Sera made a face at him. "Um, you're no mature thirty. You both need to stop running away from the inevitable and talk to one another. Honestly, it is kind of annoying that I have to be your middle-woman."

Harry raised his brows. "Don't act like your relationship with your siblings is perfect," he retorted, shoot her a dirty look. "When was the last time you and your sister dished out the truth about what happened at graduation?"

"Ew," Sera said. "Why the hell would we talk about something so stupid? It's in the past and I'm over it. Penny and I don't hold grudges over shit like that I'll have you know."

Harry wasn't buying it. Sera pulled out her phone and strolled through her contact list. "I think I'm going to grab some food," she changed the subject. "I'm really hungry."

"This late?" Harry asked checking his watch. "It's almost midnight."

"That's the great thing about this place!" Sera grinned spotting the hot bartender's number. Mocha-Man. Yeah that was the nickname she came up with. It suited him beautifully. Their encounter was brief but very memorable. Maybe he was up for grabbing a meal with her. "We aren't in a city with a ten o'clock curfew anymore."

"Ottawa doesn't have curfews you half-wit," Harry snapped."

Sera scoffed and sent the message to Moch-Man. "It feels like it does when everything closes at ten."

"And who are you deciding to go with?" Harry asked. "I don't think you should play so late at night, Sera. Especially with your recent track record."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Sera glared, although she knew quite well what he was referring to. So, she liked to set up dates here and there? Where was the harm in that? It was better than lounging at home and being bored. Cooking was another option but she was feeling a little lazy.

Her phone beeped. It was a message from Mocha-Man. 'I got to work,' it read. 'I'm done at one. If you want to drop by, I can get you something on the house! It's not every day a pretty girl asks me out.'

Sera grinned confidently. Free food? Score! 'Sounds good,' she texted back.

Harry caught a glimpse of her expression. "What are you so happy about?"

"Just got a date with Mocha-Man," she winked. "I asked him out and he said yes. Isn't that amazing?"

Harry was dumbfounded. "You're going out with the tool who almost drooled into my beer while serving you?"

"That's the one!"

Mocha-Man texted again: 'And if you're not bored to death by the end of that, how about a drink?'

Sera liked the way he thought. His brother's bar was so close to her place too. It was only one subway stop away, but maybe she should take the car out this time. Getting up from the chair, Sera moved towards her bedroom.

"Wait," Harry glared. "Text me his info so I'll know who to blame when you go missing."

"If I don't come back tonight it will be because I was promised breakfast," Sera beamed.

Harry groaned.

-

Sera fluffed her curls and doubled checked her reflection in Lyon—her black Hyundai Elantra—growing up she had a bad habit of naming inanimate objects. It was mostly things that were of use to her but when she got her first car she knew she would have to come up with something really special. Lyon was the perfect name; it was cool and fierce. It was supposed to reflect her parallel personality. Well, it was true people judged her for it but that was because haters didn't have anything else better to do with their time. It was best to just put them to the back of your mind and carry on.

Locking Lyon, Sera went to open the door to the lavish pub. It was quaint as ever. Unfortunately, she hadn't paid attention to what the place was called, which was so unlike her, because she was usually so diligent with that sort of stuff. Sera's Instagram was full of food from all over the capital.

"Normally Lit," Sera read the flashy lights hanging above the building. It was an interesting name but a little strange she hadn't heard of their location in Ottawa. Shrugging it off, Sera went ahead and strolled through the doors. The hostess asked her if she wanted to sit by the booth or by the bar. The obvious choice was the bar because that was where the hottie was working. Maybe it would be better to just ask for him. What was his name? Oh shit. Did she forget? No! No! Sera checked her phone and saw that she had labeled him as: Mocha-Man.

Fuck.

What the hell was his—

"Is Jack working tonight?" Sera kept her composure as her amazing memory returned. How awkward would it be if she asked for the wrong person?

"He is," the hostess nodded.

Relieved, Sera took a deep breath. "Awesome," she said. "I don't really mind where I sit but could you let him know that I'm here?"

Sera could have texted him but it was more romantic to have the message delivered. Plus, if this hostess had any ideas about being interested in him then that would put her in place. Was it petty? Maybe a little. Surprisingly, the hostess was very accommodating. She led Sera to the single booths by the corner. It was close enough to the bar, where she could see who was working the counter. Jack was easy to spot, his tall frame and mocha features were hard to miss. And that hair! Sera got Goosebumps just looking at those luscious locks. He hadn't noticed her. Good. Sera took the menu and hid behind it.

"What to order?" Sera reviewed. "Burger? Pasta? Sandwich?" There were so many options to choose from. How was she supposed to decide what to eat? Maybe she should wait until Jack came over and let him decide for her. Was that a little pretentious? Most girls hated having men order for them but Sera wasn't most girls. Honestly, she liked it when things were exciting and spontaneous. Placing her menu down she re-read her options and really focused on the wordings. They had a house-burger with a special barbeque sauce and Havarti. Then there was the chicken penne that was stirred in a pesto sauce. Her stomach grumbled.

"May I suggest our soup of the day to start?" a voice asked. Sera looked up and saw Jack sitting across from her.

"Hey!" she said surprised to see that he had snuck in without being detected. An apron looked good on him, like really good. Shit. Keep it together, Sera! Show him that you're in control. There was nothing worse than a self-involved guy who knew how good-looking he was. He didn't seem to be any of those things but it was better to be cautious.

"How is it going?" Sera asked.

"You summoned me," Jack said, crossing his arms.

Sera batted her lashes. "What are you talking about?"

"That's what Luna said."

"I told her to tell you that I was here," Sera clarified. What the fuck did this Luna girl go and do? Making her seem like a desperate and thirsty trout. "I was going to text you but I thought maybe you wouldn't have your phone on you because you were working."

Jack laughed. "I always keep my phone close to me."

"I guess I'll text next time," Sera rolled her eyes. "It's making you feel a little too special right now isn't it?" He couldn't stop laughing. "I don't know what you find so funny."

"You're just very different," Jack told her. "I'm trying to figure out what kind of person you are. I mean at first glance, I thought: good god she's hot. Then when I talked to you, I thought: educated and adventurous. Then you texted me out of nowhere so late at night and I thought: out there and confident. Now I just don't know. You're a little all over the place beside the obvious fact."

"The obvious fact?" Sera asked, wanting to understand him better.

"That you want me," Jack winked.

Sera placed her hands on the table and leaned in. "And you don't want me?"

"Oh, far from it," he admitted.

Damn. Most guys were uncomfortable with her composure but not him. Sera decided to go with the flow. It wasn't like she was trying to tip toe around the facts and play games. If he wanted to be straightforward then she was going to be exactly that. "Aren't you going to feed me first?" she asked, with a sly smile. "I'm starved."

He clapped his hands together. "Soup of the day!" he said. "Then some spinach dip and calamari. What do you say?"

"Starters only?" Sera asked. "Who is that going to fill?"

"Oh, a girl with a hardy apatite," Jack smiled. "Truth be told, I only know how to make the starters so that's why I'm suggesting them. Main menus will require a little more work."

Sera smiled. "Starters it is."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 548 64
There's a difference between us... ...but it's only the same. Now that you clicked it, open the book and read it! *** Warning! Mentions of suicidal t...
2.5K 177 50
❝ sometimes love isn't exactly what we think it's going to be. ❞ hearts & other breakable things by cassidy smith [ started: 2019 - 2021 ] [ edited...
33K 2K 39
Two personalities from different worlds. Can the troubled pasts that brought them to the same place bring them LOVE? Can love endure their troubled p...
46.7K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...