[BOOK ONE] Training Prince Ar...

By michelle_kirsti

Lyra, daughter of the Duke, has a wonderful life. She stands up for what she believes in and is loved and ado... More

Prologue (E)
Author's Note #1
Chapter Two | Punishment (E)
Chapter Three | Meet Again (E)
Chapter Four | Around the Dinner Table (E)
Author's Note #2
Chapter Five | Disappointment
(Pt I) Chapter Six | Visitors
(Pt II) Chapter SIx | Visitors
Chapter Seven | The Lady
(Pt I) Chapter Eight | Deal
(Pt II) Chapter Eight | Deal
Author's Note #3
(Pt I) Chapter Nine | Unveiled
(Pt II) Chapter Nine | Unveiled
Chapter Ten | Commencement
Chapter Eleven | Indenture
Chapter Twelve | Blood Relations
(Pt I) Chapter Thirteen | Ball
(Pt II) Chapter Thirteen | Ball
(Pt III) Chapter Thirteen | Ball
(Pt IV) Chapter Thirteen | Ball
Chapter Fourteen | Deliberation
(Pt I) Chapter Fifteen | Answered
(Pt II) Chapter Fifteen | Answered
Chapter Sixteen | Lesson One: The Art of Dance
Author's Note #4
Chapter Seventeen | News
Chapter Eighteen | Upheld
Chapter Nineteen | Lesson Two: Proper Table Instruments
Chapter Twenty | Little Lord of Mischief
Author's Note #5
Chapter Twenty-One | Firsthand Affection
Chapter Twenty-Two | Secluded
Chapter Twenty-Three | Lesson Three: The Appropriate Attire
(Pt I) Chapter Twenty-Four | Crowded
(Pt II) Chapter Twenty-Four | Crowded
Author's Note #6
(Pt I) Chapter Twenty-Five | Final Stay
(Pt II) Chapter Twnety-Five | Final Stay
(Pt III) Chapter Twenty-Five | Final Stay
Chapter Twenty-Six | Denunciation
Chapter Twenty-Seven | Not Much of a Lesson
Chapter Twenty-Eight | New Home
Chapter Twenty-Nine | Debut
Author's Note #7
Chapter Thirty | Gone Back
Chapter Thirty-One | Unspoken Feelings
Chapter Thirty-Two | Last Lesson
Chapter Thirty-Three | Fragmented
Chapter Thirty-Four | Holy Matrimony
Epilogue
EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT
THE FICTION AWARDS 2016 + UPDATE ON SEQUEL

Chapter One | Introductions (E)

31.5K 585 56
By michelle_kirsti

PLEASE DO NOT PLAGIARIZE!  CLAPS TO the_astonished_youth FOR MAKING MY COVER.

==========================================================

"We all know why we're here," He whispered softly almost as if he wanted me to tremble with desire.

Building up the last of my will, I sighed, "And why is that?"

"I want to hear you say it," He told me, with a sudden change in his tone.

"There's nothing wrong with a coming out ball. And there's nothing wrong with my parents trying to find me a suited gentleman." I coyly murmured, not wanting people to hear.

As he walked around to have his back to mine, I felt our spinal cords touch. "You're not going to say it, are you?"

My brows bent ever so slightly in defeat. He was never going to let this down. He came here to torture me and that's how he was going to do it, by making me say the one thing I didn't want to.

Taking a vast mouthful of Mother's wine I laughed, "I'm here to attract a worthy husband. As you know, I am of age and because my brother is dead, lord rest his soul, I, now, have to take on my family's fortune."

"Say it again." He asked, with a hint of desperation, he sounded almost human at that moment.

I reiterated, holding back my tears, "I. Am. Here...to attract a worthy husband."

"As opposed to a lover?" he questioned.

~ Eight Months Ago ~

The Theodorian's are the one and only Royal Family in the kingdom of Kalkaska. I initially wanted to go away to my uncle's estate, the Duke and his four sons. If I was punished that was the place I wanted to go to. Uncle Eugene didn't believe in punishment nor did he condone any type of behaviour that was frowned upon but he loved the children of Demori and in return, he was loved by the six of us.

The family line of the Demori goes way back, so I won't go into that. I'll just start with my parents. My Father, Nathanial Demori, and his older brother, Eugene Demori were the only children. They had no sisters, no cousins and no distant relatives that would come to visit. GrandMother and Grandpapa cut all ties with their family because of a dispute that no one ever talks about. Even Father doesn't know why. Mother is an only child, which was convenient if you ask me, because Father had the same plan for his family as well, to keep the family small. Our family consisted of Me, Mother, Father and Julian who's my older brother.

Anyway, back on point, I've been dodging civilisation for a while and Mother wanted me to snap out of this phase like I said I was avoiding society, which meant that I was avoiding my parents as well.

"Lyra? Please! Come out, we haven't seen you in two days!" Mother pleaded behind my finely carved double doors.

There was a knock on the door. I knew who it was; should I let him in, I knew Mother sent him. "Lyra? Please?"

Tearing off my blanket I paced towards the door and quickly opened the door out for Julian. As he stepped aside for me to close it on Mother, I instantaneously lock the door. Seeing that Julian had made himself comfortable, I ignored him and jumped back into bed.

"Lyra..."

"Do not start Julian, please."

"Why not?" Julian said, laughing at my stubbornness.

"I do not want to talk about it," I told him, before putting my blanket over my face.

Julian had unbuckled his sword from his belt and placed it on my table. Hearing his footsteps growing louder and louder I held tighter onto my blanket. "I'm not going to leave knowing there's space between us."

"That's not going to make me want to talk about it." I felt Julian sitting right next to my head.

I hated the idea of living with Mother and Father for the rest of my life. I do not mean that literally, I'll eventually marry someone myself and move out of this dratted place.

"Please, Lyra?" Julian softly requested.

Once again, I threw my blanket aside and glared at him, "Damn you."

"You'll tell me?" he lighted up, seeming too excited.

"I'll tell you. But do not interrupt me, or I will stop and I won't talk to you ever again."

"Okay...you may precede, my Lady." He triumphantly grinned.

Taking in his sarcasm, "Be quiet. Here's the thing. I do not want you to leave, or marry that girl. But mostly, I don't want you to leave me. Leave me here with Mother; she's going to kill me."

"Lyra..." Julian acknowledged.

I stopped him, "If not then I'm going to kill Mother. She is so annoying."

"Lyra, you are being silly. I won't be far away. And that girl is my going to be my future wife, I love her."

I felt offended, "More than you love me?"

"No." Julian kindly smiled, "Lyra, you'll always be the second girl I love."

I beamed at what he told me but I missed something. Julian said second. "Second? Who's the first?"

"Mother." Julian reminded me.

"God, Julian. You know you are Mother's only son. This is why you're her favourite."

"Mother does not play favourites. She loves us equally. She just wants you to be brought up correctly." Julian told me, defending Mother's honour.

Deep down I knew Julian was right; I just hated admitting it to him. "Whatever."

"When I marry Ella, I will probably visit you at the end of every month. Mother would want me to." He expressed.

"You promise?"

"I promise. But in the meantime, do not give Mother hell." Julian warned.

I couldn't promise that to Julian, giving Mother hell always made my day. She would tell me to go and attend my afternoon lessons and an hour or so later, she would find me in the garden playing with my cousins. She'd always say "Ladies never play around with boys." Please, like that's going to stop me.

"When you get to my age, you will probably understand marriage." Julian gently pressed.

"You are only nine years older than me. I don't see the difference." I told him in a dry tone.

"You'll understand. Soon enough." Julian kissed me one last time on the forehead, "And remember what I taught you."

"Swing and strike." I recite, recalling a memory of Julian teaching me how to handle a sword.

"Good girl. I love you Lyra,"

Julian stood up and attached his sword onto his strap and walked towards my door with his head held high. He stopped and the lock and looked towards me, asking for my permission to let Mother in.

"I love you too Julian. You big goat." Muttering the last part under my breath.

"I heard that." Closing the door, once again.

"You were supposed to." I smiled.

~ooOoo~

I watched as the figure of Julian's carriage grow smaller and smaller until I could no longer see the box. Turning back into the entrance, I was halted by Mother.

"I hate you."

"I beg your pardon." Mother exclaimed.

"You heard me. You could have told Julian to wait a few more years then get married but you just had to wed him and ship him off to another country."

Father shook his head, "You're only seventeen, Lyra. You do not understand."

"So? Julian's only twenty-six. I fully understand what's going on. You're trying to use your children into joining alliances with other countries." I unveiled.

Father laughed at my intelligence. I wasn't slow nor was I stupid. But Father didn't lecture me, "Yes and we are doing our part for the Royal Family. It's what The Demori's do."

"Well, it is time for a change. You do not have to listen to them if you do not want to, Father."

"It is not that simple, Lyra." Mother spoke out.

"Who do they think they are? Ordering Father around, marrying off his children so that their Kingdom grows stronger and stronger by the minute." I asked Mother.

"Lyra, that's enough," Father told me.

"No, the Theodorian's can do all of that by themselves. They're bunch of fakes and crooks."

At that moment, I knew I should have stopped my protest but I had gone too far with my words. Badmouthing the Royal Family looked bad on my behalf and ultimately I paid the consequences.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 147 21
Book 1 in the 'Royal Warrior' Series A world on the brink of destruction, one warrior must find the strength to face her greatest challenge yet. Whe...
1.7M 50.8K 55
Highest ranking Millionaires No 6 (03-3-19) Deal No 3 (23-3-19) Feisty No 13 (05-6-19) ---------------------------------------------------------- ...
A Fiery Dalliance By Laura

Historical Fiction

385K 30.5K 46
The words graceful, proper, ladylike and elegant could never be used to describe Perrie Beresford, the eldest daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Ash...
66.3K 2.8K 31
you can see it on Amazon Kindle... In the heart of Victorian London lives a girl names Katherine Davis. She is the real life Cinderella yet she was d...