Charming and Awkward

By Jenleighna

James slid his hand to the nape of my neck, holding me steady against his lips. His other hand stayed on my w... More

Authors note!
Chapter 1: Don't Feel Sorry For Me
Chapter 2: Who Is That?
Chapter 3: I Want Attention Too
Chapter 4: And You Could Fire Me
Chapter 5: Puns Are Stupid
Chapter 6: Just Stop The Car!
Chapter 7: Chaos
Chapter 8: There's No More Room
Chapter 9: He Doesn't Trust Me
Chapter 10: Sand On Your Cheek
Chapter 11: Having Trouble Breathing
Chapter 12: Take Me Home
Chapter 13: Will We Figure This Out?
Chapter 14: Your Boss Sounds Like a Jackass
Chapter 15: I Want You To Come Find Me
Chapter 16: Cuddle With Me Instead
Chapter 18: All In
Chapter 19: Let Me Be Here
Chapter 20: End Of Me
Chapter 21: Write A Letter Next Time
Chapter 22: The B Word
Chapter 23: Red Scarf
Chapter 24: I Like A Little Crazy
Chapter 25: Lemonade and Non-Showers
Chapter 26: I Was So Scared
Chapter 27: What Are You Thankful For?
Chapter 28: Blue
Chapter 29: You Know What?
Chapter 30: I Don't Want Your Heart To Break For Me
Chapter 31: Save Me
Chapter 32: I'm Still Here, Vi.
Chapter 33: Growing Up
Chapter 34: You. I want you.
Chapter 35: I Fell In Love With You After
Epilogue
ANOTHER SPIN-OFF?
ANOTHER SPIN-OFF!!

Chapter 17: You're Not Here With Me

44.4K 1.9K 223
By Jenleighna

-James-

I was definitely glad to give my dad his job back today.

He got home late last night, but was happy to get back to work. And even better, he was really happy in general.

He was so happy this morning he actually hugged me. I can't even tell you the last time he actually hugged me and meant it. Or hugged me without me doing it first. It was so unexpected though and I just stood there like a limp noodle.

Also, now that he's back and I don't have the interns anymore, I'm working on this floor and he told me Cristin doesn't have to follow me anymore. But he did give her another job on the third floor doing some filing.

Pretty sure he heard me crying in my office in a fetal position.

Okay, maybe she's not that bad, but she's pretty bad.

She showed up at my apartment again last night, claiming she really did lose her jacket here. She ended up staying longer than I wanted her to and we were just calmly sitting on the couch when she jumped in my lap and tried to kiss me.

Luckily, I turned my head in time so she caught my cheek instead.

But still, she had no right to do that. And for some reason she wouldn't take no for an answer. I almost told her about Violet, but I can't get her in trouble. She'd never talk to me again if I got her dismissed.

I still felt like I needed to tell her about the encounter, even though absolutely nothing happened. After Cristin tried that, I kicked her out. I thought it would be okay to actually invite her in because I know how lonely that house can get. She had no right to pull the shit she did.

After the episode with Cristin, Wade begged me to go out.

I'm still reeling from a massive hangover and everything is so loud.

Honestly, I can barely walk down the hall without bracing myself briefly against the wall.

I absolutely did not want to be here today. And I'm considering going home because I feel like I've been hit by a truck a few times.

The throbbing in my temples wasn't ceding anytime soon.

And I wanted to see Violet. I haven't seen her since Thursday when she was at my apartment. I did talk to her briefly Friday night, but since then I haven't talked to her. And I would call her, but I know she doesn't want me to because of Gray. That does suck.

I'd really like to see her right now though.

That's probably what I'm going to do once my dad stops talking.

"James,"

I blinked and straightened my spine. "Sorry."

"Did you hear anything I just said?"

"I'm not going to lie to you, but all I remember was you mentioned a new client meeting tomorrow."

But all he did was shake his head. "How hung over are you right now?"

I sucked air in through my teeth and tilted my hand back and forth. "I'd say about an eighty."

Now he rolled his eyes and looked back at his computer. "Go get some tea and wake the hell up."

Gladly.

I rose from sitting in front of his desk and walked to the elevator as quickly as possible so no one stopped me. I took the elevator to the tenth floor and walked to the break room to steal some of my mom's tea. It didn't take long to make a quick cup. I dropped down at the table and sat the tea down before placing my head in my hands. My eyes fell closed for a split second, but felt like hours.

It took a few minutes for my tea to cool and another few minutes to finish the cup.

But I didn't move right away.

I stretched my legs out in front of me and rubbed my eyes with the heels of my palms. The pressure seized a little in my head and I took in a deep breath. As I exhaled, I rose from the table and walked out of the break room to search for Violet.

It didn't take long of course.

She was sitting at her desk close to my mom with what looked like her homework. It looks like I have the worst timing.

I knocked on my mom's open office door and they both looked up. My mom made a weird face. "Are you getting sick?"

"Lets go with that." I grinned with little effort, "Do you mind if I borrow Violet for a few minutes? I need some computer help."

"We have IT guys for that, James."

I shrugged. "Already tried them, they're busy. Please? I already have a massive headache. Last thing I need to do is break a computer. Dad would take it out of my paycheck—"

"Go ahead." She waved me off with an I-told-you-so smile, "I need her back in forty minutes."

Violet stood up from her desk and followed me out.

She walked quietly beside me until we reached the elevator.

Once the doors shut, I hurried to press the button for the fifth floor.

"You look like you just rolled out of bed." Violet murmured without even looking at me.

"I'd definitely rather be in bed right now."

The doors glided open onto the empty fifth floor. We walked to my old office and I closed the doors behind us. First thing I did after was close all the blinds and only turn on the small desk lamp.

There was a couch on the side of the room I never paid attention to. It was by a bookshelf that was pretty bare and a plant I didn't know if it was real or not. I wasn't about to feel the leaves to find out. I'm already out of it.

Violet walked up to me, caressing my face gently in her hands. "You do look like shit."

The bluntness in her tone made me laugh. I dropped my forehead onto her shoulder and her hand moved to the nape of my neck. "That's exactly how I feel." I wound my arms around her waist and pulled her close.

"I tried calling you last night, but I wasn't sure—"

"I'm sorry." I interjected softly, "I should've stayed home last night."

Violet snorted. "This could've been avoided." She turned her head and her lips touched my temple.

"Then what other excuse would I use to get you to hold me?" I teased.

"One better than being hung over."

"Maybe I just wanted you to do this." I lifted my head and leveled my face with hers, "I missed you by the way."

Her lips tugged into a smile. "I missed you."

I kissed the tip of her nose and she scrunched up her face. It made me laugh of course, as it always does. "Can you escape tonight? Exams are over."

"What did you have in mind?"

"Well I did want to take you on an actual date because my apartment sucks." I chuckled lightly, "But I can't tell you where."

She frowned. "I can't tonight. I told Mark I'd help him at the diner tonight since Alyssa's staying with her mom this week. But I can probably make you a deal." Her frown turned into a grin.

"You have my attention."

"What if you picked me up? We could just drive somewhere."

"Where?"

"The first place that pops into your mind."

And there was a place that popped in my mind. But I can't share it yet. "You have yourself a deal."

"I'll be done around six or seven. Depends on when the other waitress gets there Mark said."

"I'll be there." My lips curved.

I brushed my hand down her arm and grabbed her hand. "Now I want to hold you for the last twenty minutes and then I'm probably going home." I then pulled her towards the couch where I held her for twenty minutes that didn't feel long enough.

* * *

I woke up to Chaos barking.

Loudly.

He jumped on me and nudged my cheek with his wet nose.

"I'm up." I groaned and flipped on my other side.

Chaos hopped over my legs and walked up to where my head was resting on the pillow. He nudged me again with his nose and licked my cheek. I opened my eyes, blinking a few times to adjust. Sleep still clouded my vision, but I could see clearly enough to look at the time. It was almost six; I really need to get up.

I rolled out of bed and walked into the bathroom so I could take a quick shower. And by quick, I meant an easy ten minutes so I could wake up. My headache was gone, thank god. But my body ached to be stretched.

After talking with Violet earlier today, she went back up to the tenth floor and I told my dad I was going home. He didn't even get mad. He laughed and shook his head and told me to feel better.

It was weird seeing him in a good mood.

But I'm not complaining or questioning it.

Once I was showered, I felt refreshed. I pulled on a pair of dark jeans, a t-shirt, and a jacket. I grabbed my phone, my keys, and left to pick Violet up from Mark's.

But when I got there, Violet was kneeling in one of the windows, looking to the right of building. She was perched on a booth, looking everywhere as if she was paranoid or saw something that freaked her.

I didn't waste anymore time and climbed out of my car. I turned my gaze to the area she was looking in, but saw nothing beyond the buildings. Glancing back at her, I noticed she was still looking in that direction while nibbling on her thumbnail.

My feet paced towards the front of the diner and I opened the door before stepping inside. The hostess stopped me with a smile. "I'm just here to pick someone up."

Then I chanced a look down the aisle of booths and caught Violet's stare. She climbed out of the booth and slung her bag over her shoulder, then proceeded to pace towards me in long strides. She grabbed my hand and tugged me back out the door. "Don't you need to tell Mark you're leaving?"

She continued to drag me with too much effort.

When she didn't answer, I pulled her to a stop and brought her toward me. "Violet," I said softly.

But she wasn't paying attention to me. She was looking around, her head and gaze focused on the same spot she was just moments ago.

I gripped her face and forced her to look at me. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." She said quickly, "Let's go." She reached for one of my hands on her cheek and we walked to my car.

We got in and I started it, but didn't leave just yet. She was looking out the window at the same exact spot. "What are you looking at?" I asked.

"I'm not looking at anything." She turned to face me, "Let's go."

I didn't push the subject and left Mark's.

Instead, I reached over the center console and grabbed her hand. My fingers slipped through hers and I gave her hand a small squeeze.

The first place I thought of today was Tybee Island again.

And of course I never considered if it was a good idea or not. Also considering she has school tomorrow, it probably isn't. But for some reason, I don't think she'll mind. The further, the better.

She was quiet the first half of the drive. Just looking out the window with a tight grip on my hand. With every free chance I got, I looked at her to make sure she was okay. But how would I know? She hasn't said a word since she got in the car.

Even when we entered Tybee Island, she didn't utter a word.

"Violet," I brushed my thumb over the back of her hand, "You're not here with me."

"I'm here." She said softly, "Just tired, I guess. Losing sleep is catching up."

"Are you sure that's the problem?"

"I'm not too sure about anything."

"Talk to me, Vi."

"Wait until we get there." Her tone remained a whisper.

It took another five minutes to get to the beach house. I climbed out of the car and walked over to Violet's side as she closed the door. She took my hand again and I led her around the porch, to the steps that led to the beach. We walked to the edge of the water, stopping a foot away from the tide and plopped down in the sand.

She sat close enough to where my arm barely touched hers.

Her eyes rested on the waves, slowly crashing against the shore and echoing. The moon illuminated the waves almost making them silver. The wind fluttered over my skin and slipped through Violet's hair in a frenzy.

"Is everything okay with your mom?" I asked timidly.

"Oh, yeah." She nodded, smoothing her palms down her legs, "It's just...I think someone from my past is back."

"As in?"

"A guy I thought I loved." She sighed, "I thought I saw him on Saturday and then again at the diner tonight."

My heart stuttered. "Are you scared of him?"

"He'd never hurt me, if that's what you're asking." She brought her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around her legs, "Not physically anyway."

A lump formed in my throat. "What happened?"

"It's a long story I'm sure you have no interest in."

I turned my body to face her and she glanced at me. "We have nothing but time out here. Besides, if I have to kick his ass I want to know why."

She laughed lightly. "You and Gray would get along if you could be in the same room together."

"You're good at changing the subject."

"Oh, how'd you know?"

"You're talking to the master." I teased and then turned serious, "You can trust me, Vi. I want to know everything about you."

She looked at me again and smiled. "I do trust you. And because I do, I'll tell you something I haven't thought about in a long time."

"Already intrigued."

"One night, my mom gave me cash and the name of a medicine scribbled down on a piece of paper because Blue was really sick. I can't remember where Nic and Gray where. I was fifteen at the time." She glanced at me before continuing, "So I walked to the grocery store like I had before with Nic and Gray many times. It was night and I hated to go alone, but Blue really needed the medicine. But when I walked down the medicine aisle, I noticed I lost the paper with the name of the medicine to get."

She stopped to take in a deep breath and smiled a little. "I started crying because I was so frustrated and I was scared to go back without it. Even though of course my mom wouldn't have been upset, but still. Anyway, that's where Reese came in. He was a new bag boy they just hired and he tried to calm me down. It wasn't working that well."

Sounds like the Violet I know now.

"Then he bent down and picked up the piece of paper I thought I lost. I remember laughing so hard I started crying again. Reese was seventeen at that time. And after I bought the medicine, he walked me home."

"That sounds like a good start."

She bobbed her head. "He was the sweetest person I knew. We spent a lot of time together for over a year. He was my first everything and no, I don't regret it. I don't regret any of our time together."

"You loved him a lot." I stated and something in my chest ached.

"I did."

"What happened?"

She waited a few moments and spoke. "He left without a word two years ago. Just up and left and I had no idea where he went or if he went with someone. If he was okay..." She choked, "It felt like someone tore my heart in half. The night before his mom told me he left, Reese came to see me. Nothing felt different. He kept telling me he loved me like he always did and before he left, he told me he'd see me tomorrow." She used the sleeve of her sweater to wipe her eyes. "Sorry." She then mumbled.

"Don't apologize." I lightly touched her back, "None of that could have been easy for you and I hate you had to go through that. And now I get what you were saying the night of my dad's wedding. I mean, I already knew. But I didn't know you were hurting too."

"I don't think it ever stops hurting." She looked at me with tears still welling in her eyes, "I can barely hear his name without feeling...I don't know, it's hard to explain. It's just like a hand that has a death grip on my heart. But I've let him go. I let him go a long time ago."

I moved behind her, letting my legs fall to her sides and she leaned her back against my chest. My arms snaked around her shoulders and I held her tight. "Thank you for sharing that with me. I know it wasn't easy." I bent my head to kiss the junction between her shoulder and neck. "If he's back..."

She reached up and grabbed my hand. "He won't do anything."

"I know." I lightly squeezed her palm, "But that doesn't mean it won't bring up memories you've worked hard to bury."

"I haven't even thought about him in...I don't know. It's been awhile. But I don't care." She leaned her head back and looked up at me. A small smile curved her lips, "I've been thinking about you too much to think about anything else. And that's including homework."

I couldn't help but laugh a little. "Then I'm doing my job." I leaned down and kissed her forehead. She leaned her head back further and caught my lips between her own. I cupped the bottom of her chin in my hand. Our lips moved together without any effort. My body warmed, despite the drop in the temperature.

Each time I kissed Violet, it was different.

This time it was a kiss long enough to appreciate the softness of her lips, the small sounds she makes each time I pull back to kiss her again, and the way my skin feels like it's vibrating with chills.

Violet was the first to pull away.

But she only straightened and turned around only to attack me with a kiss. We both smiled and I swallowed my laugh. She kissed me sweetly, her hands bracing against the sides of my neck. When we pulled away to catch a breath, I grasped her face in my palms. "I would never...hurt you. Never in a million years would I ever think about hurting you the way he did."

"I know." She leaned into me, "And same goes to you too."

I nodded and laid her down in the sand. "I know that too." I smiled down at her as I hovered on my hands.

Violet braced a hand on the back of my neck and pulled me down to her lips. She hooked a leg around my hip and drew me in closer.

Everything about Violet has completely enveloped me.

Her voice, her hands, her lips...everything. She surrounded me.

And it was the greatest feeling in the world.

--------------------------------

I loved writing this chapter so much to be honest, hahaha. And the next chapter is my favorite one that I've written so far. :)))))

Comment and let me know what you think so far? I'd love to hear you're thoughts! And don't forget to vote pleaaaaaase? :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8M 285K 45
Sophie Campbell is a seventeen year old senior at Jackson High that also holds down a part-time job at the local coffee shop. The way Sophie sees it...
49K 1.5K 41
Sequel To New Beginnings Chase and Ava's first year of college together is going to be one heck of a ride. With a complete turn of events in their fu...
13.2M 283K 50
Madeline Stone knows where her future is heading-her family has that part all figured out. On her twenty-first birthday she is stealing a few moment...
731K 21.4K 49
Elyon Baker has it tough. She lives alone in a crappy apartment for reasons even she doesn't like to think about. She works almost every day to pay h...