Chapter 26: I Was So Scared

-Violet-

"Stop moving."

"You're the one that doesn't know how to lay still."

"Fight me then."

James huffed against my hair, burying his face further. "Go to sleep."

"I'm trying," I grumbled, wiggling under his arm.

"Violet," James whispered. "You need to, uh, stop doing that."

I stilled and laid my cheek on the top of my hand. "Stop doing what?"

"Moving against me like that," he whispered back urgently. "It's not helping."

My hand flew to my mouth and I stifled a laugh. His hand slipped across my waist, securing around loosely. "Sorry," I replied. "I'm done."

James freed his hand long enough to sweep the hair away from the side of my face and replaced back around my waist. He kissed the delicate spot behind my ear and sighed. "I'm surprised she let me spend the night."

"I know." I breathed. "She's always in a great mood when she gets home from Mark's. It's fantastic." She allowed James to spend the night and I was even allowed to close the door, but leave it open a crack.

"I'm surprised Gray didn't tell her about the shower incident."

I laughed lightly. "We agreed to keep it between us, no worries."

James shifted, his chest molding against my back again. "Are you nervous about tomorrow?"

It took me a second, but realized he was talking about Reese. I told him about the note, but not the details. Just said he wanted to talk. James wasn't happy about it, I could tell and it made me not want to go. I can understand why he'd be timid about it, because I am too. But it's time. "A little," I admitted. "But that's normal."

"You'll be fine," He assured. "And I'll be there when you're ready."

"Thank you." I placed a hand over his. "I'll stop by your apartment after."

"I just want to make sure you're okay."

I managed to flip on my other side and I lightly reached to touch his jaw. "You're amazing."

James kissed my forehead and then my lips. "I'll always be here."

* * *

I stood in front of the library, thinking about bolting before Reese knew I was here. But I need to do this. My feet need to move.

I've been standing on the steps for five minutes trying to persuade myself to go find him. Finally, I worked up enough courage and climbed the steps and walked around the library.

Of course, the library is closed on a Sunday. But it wasn't inside the library where we shared these moments. Behind the library were a set of tables and chairs where kids liked to come out to read or study. Sometimes both.

I came to this library a lot to study because of the chaos that ensues at my house. Reese would always find me there. Especially when we became friends. That's basically where we hung out, and then he'd walk me home.

As I rounded the corner, I saw him perched on one of the tables.

I stopped a few feet away and he raised his head. The sun caught his eyes perfectly and the green looked brighter than ever. "I didn't think you'd show," He said softly and stood from the table.