Chapter 28: Blue

-Violet-

The credits rolled onto the screen of the TV that resided in James's room.

And it comes to no surprise that he was asleep next to me. He was lying on his stomach, facing away from me. His bare back was exposed to me and the blanket covered up to the back of his hips. Without much resistance on my end, I reached and touched the smooth skin of his back, slowly walking my fingers over and up the back of his shoulder blade.

I let my fingertips glide in circles, tracing patterns over his lower back. With lightness, I trickled my fingers up his spine, and I slowly slipped my fingers into his messy hair. I twirled a strand around my finger and loosened it before sliding my fingers softly down his back again.

A sigh fell from my lips and I brought my hands back into my lap.

It was quiet for a few seconds and then, "Why'd you stop?"

I smiled to myself. "So you're awake now?"

"I was awake the second you touched my back," He murmured.

I pressed my fingers against his back lightly again and he sighed. "I have to leave soon," I whispered. "I need to be up early."

James groaned and flipped onto his back. He looked up at me and folded an arm behind his head. "Will your mom ever let you spend the night? We've been here all day by ourselves. If we were going to do something—"

"Don't even."

He smiled and used his free hand to tug on my arm. "I'm just saying. Not saying that I want—because I don't—wait, no, that's not what I meant—"

"Shut up." I laughed. "You're so cute when you're flustered."

He narrowed his eyes and glared.

The look on his face made me giggle. I leaned down and started planting small kisses all over his face, one to his forehead, another to his cheeks, and one more to his chin. I hovered my face over his, kissing the tip of his scrunched up nose and one small kiss to his lips.

As I pulled away, I swiped my tongue over my bottom lip. "You still taste like Twizzlers."

He braced a hand on the nape of my neck and kissed me again. I felt his smile twist against my lips as mine opened under his.

We parted and I gently nudged my face into the crook of his neck. I slipped my arm over his waist and hugged myself to his side. I sighed and kissed the soft skin of his neck. "You really wouldn't care if I spent the night?" I asked.

"Of course not," He said quickly. "I'd love it if you did."

"You're not getting tired of me yet?" I joked.

He tilted my head back with the tip of his finger and looked down at me. "Tired of you?"

"It's possible," I replied.

"No it's not." He kissed my forehead and I melted into his touch. "I love being around you. I think about you a lot when I can't sleep and I can never wait to see you." He looked at me again, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "I'm here to stay, Vi. I'm not going anywhere."

His reassurance made my heart swell. "I know that and I—" I stopped before the words tumbled out of my mouth.

James looked at me curiously. "You okay?"