Chapter 17: You're Not Here With Me

-James-

I was definitely glad to give my dad his job back today.

He got home late last night, but was happy to get back to work. And even better, he was really happy in general.

He was so happy this morning he actually hugged me. I can't even tell you the last time he actually hugged me and meant it. Or hugged me without me doing it first. It was so unexpected though and I just stood there like a limp noodle.

Also, now that he's back and I don't have the interns anymore, I'm working on this floor and he told me Cristin doesn't have to follow me anymore. But he did give her another job on the third floor doing some filing.

Pretty sure he heard me crying in my office in a fetal position.

Okay, maybe she's not that bad, but she's pretty bad.

She showed up at my apartment again last night, claiming she really did lose her jacket here. She ended up staying longer than I wanted her to and we were just calmly sitting on the couch when she jumped in my lap and tried to kiss me.

Luckily, I turned my head in time so she caught my cheek instead.

But still, she had no right to do that. And for some reason she wouldn't take no for an answer. I almost told her about Violet, but I can't get her in trouble. She'd never talk to me again if I got her dismissed.

I still felt like I needed to tell her about the encounter, even though absolutely nothing happened. After Cristin tried that, I kicked her out. I thought it would be okay to actually invite her in because I know how lonely that house can get. She had no right to pull the shit she did.

After the episode with Cristin, Wade begged me to go out.

I'm still reeling from a massive hangover and everything is so loud.

Honestly, I can barely walk down the hall without bracing myself briefly against the wall.

I absolutely did not want to be here today. And I'm considering going home because I feel like I've been hit by a truck a few times.

The throbbing in my temples wasn't ceding anytime soon.

And I wanted to see Violet. I haven't seen her since Thursday when she was at my apartment. I did talk to her briefly Friday night, but since then I haven't talked to her. And I would call her, but I know she doesn't want me to because of Gray. That does suck.

I'd really like to see her right now though.

That's probably what I'm going to do once my dad stops talking.

"James,"

I blinked and straightened my spine. "Sorry."

"Did you hear anything I just said?"

"I'm not going to lie to you, but all I remember was you mentioned a new client meeting tomorrow."

But all he did was shake his head. "How hung over are you right now?"

I sucked air in through my teeth and tilted my hand back and forth. "I'd say about an eighty."

Now he rolled his eyes and looked back at his computer. "Go get some tea and wake the hell up."

Gladly.

I rose from sitting in front of his desk and walked to the elevator as quickly as possible so no one stopped me. I took the elevator to the tenth floor and walked to the break room to steal some of my mom's tea. It didn't take long to make a quick cup. I dropped down at the table and sat the tea down before placing my head in my hands. My eyes fell closed for a split second, but felt like hours.