Chapter 27: What Are You Thankful For?

-James-

"So you're not coming to dinner?" He asked again.

"Dad, no, I told you I'm going to Violet's," I replied. "You never wanted me there before."

He sighed loudly over the phone and it was quiet for a moment. "You haven't even been dating Violet that long," He retorted. "She'll end up just like every—"

"Don't finish that," I snapped and straightened my spine. "I gotta go. I don't want to be late." And I hung up.

If my Dad's idea of guilt tripping is to be an asshole, he really needs to work on that. My dad has more pride than anyone I know, including myself. He'd always find a way to meddle in my life. Before my parents got divorced, he wasn't that bad. Of course, he still never liked anything I did, but that's my dad. Nothing makes him happy unless it's money.

Dinner at Violet's is going to be great. Meredith won't be there because she's going to Damon's, but she said she'd maybe try to stop by if it's not too late. If it's too late, she said she'd meet Violet and I for lunch one weekend. My mom is probably already there to help with the cooking, that's what I was told.

I haven't seen Violet since Sunday after I took her home. Ever since she talked to Reese though she's been better. I could tell. Definitely happier. It's great to see because that's all I want for her. She deserves happiness.

And I do too.

She makes me happy. But it's hard to revel in that happiness when my dad wants to be Dad, and be a complete—

I won't even finish that.

My thoughts closed off and I finished getting ready. Violet said it's nothing fancy, so I just slipped on a pair of dark jeans, a white t-shirt, and a black zip-up jacket. I paired it with black boots and walked into my living room to find Chaos. It didn't take long. He jumped off the couch and sauntered over to me. I snapped the leash onto his collar and we left.

Chaos sat happily in the passenger seat while I drove. I haven't had him in the car for a while and it definitely showed. He stood against the window and all I could think about was cleaning off the paw prints and can't forget the drool. But he looked adorable while doing it, I'll give him that.

I pulled up to Violet's and parked on the side of the road in front of her house. I walked to Chaos's side, opened the door, and grabbed the leash. He jumped down easily. As I closed the door and started walking, I did notice my mom's car was already here.

We trailed up the sidewalk and stopped short of the front door and rang the doorbell. I bent down and picked Chaos up, tucking him under my arm and he licked my jaw. The front door opened and Nic came into view. "I thought we scared you off," He joked, opening the door wider so I could slip in.

I turned to face him. "It's going to take a lot more than that."

"I guess I should try harder next time." He grinned.

"Nic, shut up." Violet came up beside him and nudged him with her elbow. She looked at me and smiled. "Ignore the idiot. He still doesn't know how to act around people. It's why we can't take him anywhere."

Nic threw an arm around her shoulders and squeezed. "But what would you do without me?"

Violet looked up at him and dropped her voice down to a whisper. "I know how to hide a body so no one would ever find it."