Chapter 11: Having Trouble Breathing

-Violet-

Today is Monday and it's also the day we're finding out who we'll be shadowing for the rest of our time here. I already know it's not James and not his dad, so I'm interested in seeing whom he chose.

Gray parked the car in front of the building, but I didn't make any move to get out yet. "Still nervous?" He asked.

I hesitated, but nodded. "Just a little though. But I'll be fine."

"Okay, well I'm working late so Mom will probably pick you up."

"Gray, I can take the bus—"

"You know I don't like you taking the bus. Mom will be here when you get off, don't stress."

"Thank you." I muttered and opened the car door. After sending Gray a wave, I closed the door and walked up to the building.

When I entered, I did as I usually do. Get my badge, go through the opaque doors, and ride the elevator to the fifth floor. I signed in at the lobby front desk and proceeded to walk further into the office.

People were already crowded around the bulletin board and my heart sank. Here goes nothing.

Once I sat my bag down at my desk, I slowly walked over to the crowd as people were leaving. Some had smiles, others looked slightly confused. A few more people moved away from the board and I took a few steps closer until I was face to face with my fate for the rest of my time here.

My name was second on the list and right next to it was...Claire Roedan.

Oh, no.

His mom?

Why would he think that's a good idea? I'm relieved it's not his dad, but still. His mom. She owns half the company and has just as much pull as David. The three times I've actually talked to Claire have been nothing but pleasant, but I'd rather shadow Larry in the mail department. He doesn't make me nervous, but Claire gives a whole new meaning to nerves.

Someone cleared their throat from behind me and it made me jump. I twisted around to face the culprit.

Cristin. "Hi, Violet. I see you're going to be working with Claire the rest of the time here. Exciting, right?" She grinned.

My heart lodged itself in my throat and when I opened my mouth to speak, nothing came out, but a small squeak.

"It's okay, Honey." She patronized, "I know you probably wanted to work with James."

I shook my head and found my words. "I didn't. I'm fine with working with Ms. Roedan."

A grin was still perfectly placed on her cherry red painted lips. "Oh, so you don't want to work with James?"

"T-that's not w-what I said. I said I don't mind where I work as long as I get the experience I need. That's the point of an internship, Honey." Holy shit. Where did that just come from?

I didn't even stay around to gauge her reaction.

Walking away, I counted my steps until I reached James's open office doors. When he noticed me, he put his pen down and raised his head. "Your face is unusually red." He pointed to the doors, "Close them."

Confused, I obeyed and closed the doors before walking back up to his desk. "I'm...having trouble...breathing." I tried sucking in a breath, but my lungs felt like they weren't expanding enough to take a deep breath.