Chapter 18: All In

-Violet-

I woke up in the sand.

And everything was aching.

I took in a deep breath and breathed James in.

A shiver wracked my body and James's arm tightened around me. The blanket around us didn't do us much justice. When I opened my eyes, I noticed it was still dark. James stirred, but didn't let me go. Even as my body ached to be stretched, I couldn't bear to move out of his arms.

It was hard for me to open up like I did to James last night. But as I was talking to him, it all came out so easily. He listened to me and he was there to comfort me. He's so caring and I have no idea how I found him.

Well, I do know obviously. Stumbling into my interview will never be forgotten. Just thinking about it now is making my cheeks burn.

Even in the small span of time we've spent together, it just feels like I've known him for years. Like he's been so close, just at the tips of my fingers. But he hasn't. He's here now though and that's all that matters.

James exhaled slowly and rubbed the side of my arm to warm me.

I tilted my head back and my eyes trained on his profile. "I think I found my favorite place." I whispered.

James chuckled softly and tightened his hold. He pressed a kiss to my forehead and touched his lips to my temple. "Nothing makes me happier."

I hugged myself to his side and tucked my head under his chin. "I just want to stay here all day."

"We can."

"I have school."

James snorted. "So do I. Let's skip today. Spend the whole day here."

I breathed a laugh. "That sounds absolutely amazing."

"It's a date then."

Why the hell not? "It's a date."

"Let's go inside because I'm freezing my ass off."

I laughed and rolled off of him to stand up. James stood too and picked the blanket up off the ground. I fluffed a hand through my hair, trying to knock out any sand. My pants were also covered and I did my best to brush off any of the sand before following James back up the stairs.

He opened the back door and let me slip in before him. He flipped on a few lights and I feel like my eyes have been opened again. "What time is it?" I asked.

James checked the watch on his wrist. "Barely four in the morning."

"Oh."

"You wouldn't make it in time for school anyway."

I nodded. "Can I send my mom a text? To let her know I'm okay?"

"Of course." He fished his phone from his front pocket and handed it to me.

All I did was tell her that I was with James and I'm okay, and that I'll be home in a few hours. Once she knows I'm with James, she'll probably throw a party. She talks about him all the time. In a good way of course. Once I sent the message, I handed James his phone back. "You wouldn't happen to have an extra tooth brush, would you?"

"Possibly in the guest bathroom." He jerked his head in the direction of the stairs. As he started walking, I followed him up. We walked down a long hallway and took a sharp left. He opened the door to what I'm assuming is the guest room and I continued to follow.