Chapter 24: I Like A Little Crazy

-Violet-

After school Monday, Jenny drove me to Roedan Advertising for my first day on the job. I was nervous, not going to lie. It's an easy job, I've done it before and I really like it. I guess it's because James doesn't work here anymore, I don't know. It was nice having James here because of the security. It seemed he helped calm my panic attacks easier than I could.

Now that Claire knows we're dating, it could get weird. Her son is dating her assistant. And she has to know we were kind of seeing each other while I was interning. She doesn't need to know how close, but I'm sure she knows. Maybe she knew before we even knew.

My mom also agreed to dinner this Friday night at Claire's. I had to tell her when I see her in just a few minutes. First, I went to the front desk to collect my new badge and scanned my way through the doors. My nerves have died down a little when I stepped onto the elevator.

My phone buzzed in my front pocket and I fished it out. I had a new message from James. "Good luck today and you still have your eighteen hours."

I smiled and replied, "I'll be collecting some of those soon."

He replied a few seconds later, "Time and place and I'm all yours."

The elevator doors glided open onto the tenth floor and I hurried to place my phone back into my pocket. I stepped over the elevator threshold and made my way to Claire's office.

She was standing by her desk, the office phone attached to her ear. "Yes, honey. No, I'm working late." She laughed lightly. "Yes, you can bring dinner. I'll see you later."

When she hung up, I made myself known. "Hi, Ms. Roedan."

She smiled. "I'm so glad you accepted the job, thank you."

I took a step closer. "I should be thanking you."

"You're more than welcome." She took a hold of my arm and led me out of her office. "Since you now officially have the job, that means you officially get your own desk." She directed me to a desk just a few feet from her office. It was the only one fully facing her office with a computer and a phone. Other than those things, the desk was bare.

"This is great." I returned her smile.

Claire dropped my arm. "I thought so." She laughed lightly and braced herself against the dark wood. "The supply closet is full of office supplies, so feel free to help yourself to whatever you need. My last assistant liked post-its and she went through at least three pens a week."

I stifled a laugh. "That's a lot."

She nodded. "But she was always on top of things and I know you will be too."

"What happened to her?"

"Maternity leave. She wouldn't be able to come back for a while, but she said she'd keep me posted."

"Oh," I breathed. "Well I hope I can fill in her shoes."

"I know you can, Vi." She pushed a blonde strand of hair from her face. "Did your mom say anything about dinner?"

"Oh, yeah." I nodded. "She said Friday night would be great."

"Friday night is perfect. James will be there too, of course. You're welcome to invite your brothers too if you want."

I lightly shook my head. "Maybe I'll invite them the next time."

She nodded. "I understand. And speaking of James, that was him on the phone. He wants to bring dinner in a couple of hours." She slowly smiled. "I don't think he's using the excuse to see his mother."