What It Seems | Wattys 2023

By kayleeix

Adalynne Claire finds an old family photo album filled with pictures from her childhood. She holds hardly any... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Epilogue
Sequel (PLEASE READ!!!)

Chapter 68

3.4K 86 6
By kayleeix

ADALYNNE

The spring air was delightful. The flowers had blossomed, leaves were growing back on the trees, and the grass always seemed greener. Although it's close to summer time, today was a gorgeous, colorful day that was delightful to be outside.

Although Jo, Lindsay, and I were inside Starbucks, we managed to order a smoothie due to the weather outside. Once we ordered, we made our way outside to the exterior seating. We sat at a table that was made of a quad of people under an umbrella.

"It is so beautiful out," Lindsay commented.

"I was thinking that too. I love spring time in New Jersey, especially when it's about to be summer," I responded. I adjusted my heart-shaped sunglasses Jo had loaned me and placed them on top of my head.

"The weather in Georgia was so steamy hot. With the humidity and everything, it could reach to over 100°. July was the hottest month; I couldn't stand it," Jo stated.

Lindsay and I cringed at the thought of dealing with that kind of weather.

The waiter delivered our smoothies and walked back inside.

"This whole pregnancy thing has me breaking out so badly," Jo said as she took a sip of her smoothie.

I looked closely at her face, seeing nothing but a clear canvas.

"On my back. It's so gross."

Lindsay shook her head. "Have you seen Nicole?" she cackled.

Jo mumbled, "God, I hope my face doesn't turn out like that."

"Do you know who the baby's daddy is?" I wondered. Lord knows - she's been with so many guys.

Lindsay hummed when she was sipping on her pink smoothie. She swallowed, "I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard it was one of Derek's friends."

Jo cackled, "I'm surprised it isn't Derek's baby after all."

I shook my head. "God knows whose it is. Poor baby."

"Speaking of Derek, Baylor's mom said he's coming back to town," I mentioned.

Their eyes widened a bit. "What did Baylor say about that?" Lindsay questioned.

"All he said was he wouldn't try anything on me again. He didn't say much at all, and he didn't make one rude comment about him coming back."

Jo's eyebrows arched and the wrinkles on her forehead appeared. "I'm surprised by that," Jo murmured.

Lindsay's phone vibrated against the table and she peeked at it. "Ugh, that's Lane - oh shoot, it's 6 o'clock!" she exclaimed.

"Got somewhere to be?" I pondered.

"Yeah, his parents invited me over for dinner. I forgot it was Lane's mother's birthday."

We loaded into Lindsay's car and rode back to Shady Grove. "Earned It" by The Weeknd played on the radio, and I remembered the night Baylor sang that song to me. I chuckled at the hilarious memory.

Lindsay dropped Jo and I off at the apartment, and when we were walking up the steps, Jo's phone rang. She replied and slid her phone into her pocket. When I went to open the door, it was locked.

I groaned and dug in my bag for my key. When I stuck it in, the door immediately opened. Aiden let us both in and when I walked in, the apartment smelt of coconut.

I began to walk to my room, and I noticed a red rose pedal. And then there were a few more that were made into a trail. I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion. I opened my bedroom door to a full room of red balloons, and I couldn't even walk in. My floor was invisible.

"What the?"

A clear spot was made on the floor. I noticed a P that had pictures of Baylor and I. An R made out of Nutella jars - my breath hitched in my throat as I read the word. Tons of lotions and perfumes... Oh, my God.

It read PROM?

I placed my hand over my chest and a white poster board on my bed caught my attention.

Don't Pressure it, I've been fallingforyou ever since An Encounter in a place that involves Girls, but ever since you were 12, Chocolate sounded amazing to give to you for Valentine's Day. So Far, I have poured my Heart Out to you. That night in The City, we Settled Down and I spent a little M.O.N.E.Y. Woman, our love is rich, but it's impossible for Robbers to steal it. Without having this Haunt in our head, don't stay in Bed. You won't want to Undo it if you had a chance to see a guy dance with you. Don't Facedown at your dancing shoes to leave me asking Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You. It's not 1975 anymore, so why don't Me and You Talk! it out...

Will you go to prom with me?

A tear escaped my eye and I smiled at how beautiful this all was. A figure moved in my doorway and I saw Baylor with a powerful grin plastered on his face.

I tried running over to him through the balloons. When I reached him, I jumped in his arms and wrapped my legs around his waist.

"Yes, a million times, yes!" I exclaimed. His arms cascaded around my back and I joined my lips with his. I squeezed him as hard as I could and let out a few more tears.

"Why are you crying, babe?" he asked.

"Because this is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen!" I said through happy tears.

His hand moved hair from out of my face and he kissed my forehead.

I noticed Jo and Lindsay recording us on their phones, and Aiden was standing beside them with a huge grin on his face.

"Who would've known you were so creative. I'm in love with this promposal, and you."

I picked the white poster board up and read it over and over again with a big smile on my face. I took his body into a big bear hug and kissed him.

"I'm so glad you love it," Baylor noted.

He kissed my cheek and then my lips.

***

After a long day at school on Monday evening, Lindsay, Jo, and I went prom dress shopping. We've been hanging out a lot lately, and that made me happy.

When we entered the boutique downtown, a little bell rang and a lady welcomed us in.

"Is there anything you all need help with?" the young woman asked kindly with a pearly smile.

"We're looking for prom dresses," I responded.

"Right this way." We followed her to a large, colorful section of the boutique.

"Here's the dresses we carry. If you all need any help at all, I will assist you," she said in a sweet tone and we thanked her.

"I have no idea what to get." I stared at the beautiful colored dresses in astonishment.

"Well that's what we're here for," Lindsay said.

There was a rack that held color coded dresses. These were all green to a dark blue color. Preferably, I didn't like the color pink on me, but I decided to scan through the dresses just in case I saw a pretty dress that caught my eye.

"Hey guys, what about this one?" Lindsay asked when she put a hanger around her head, leaving the dress to fall over her body as she showed it off when she twirled around.

"That's pretty, Lindsay!" Jo exclaimed.

Gold sequins embellished the bodice. It had a sweetheart neckline with side cut outs. It was a strapless floor length dress that was a Tiffany blue color. It was gorgeous.

"If you aren't trying that on, I am."

She scurried to the dressing room and as we waited, we looked for a dress. As Jo plumaged through a rack of orange and yellow dresses, she frowned.

"I wish I was going to prom."

"Why can't you?" I ask.

"I'm not comfortable with asking Aiden. And plus I already feel like I'm gaining weight by the minute, so when prom comes around, I don't want to be able to fit the dress now and then not able to fit it the day of prom. Just - no." She shook her head to prove her point.

Lindsay walked towards us and we caught a glimpse of her in the dress. "Oh, my God," I gasped. I was literally that heart-eye emoji on an iPhone.

"Lindsay, that is so gorgeous!" Her hair was curled this day, and her hair and facial features and skin tone definitely pulled off the look. She was beautiful in the dress.

"Are you sure?" She tried looking down at her side. "This one little stupid stretch mark makes me feel -"

I interrupted her. "I have more stretch marks than you. Don't you dare call yourself fat or ugly. I've seen the way Lane looks at you. You look beautiful, Lindsay."

She breathed in a satisfied breath. She grinned at me and walked to the mirror.

Jo waddled off to find a pair of shoes that matched the dress.

I fixed Lindsay's hair, combing it down in the back as it was ruffled a bit from changing. "Look, it looks amazing on you. Not even I could pull it off."

"Oh hush, you can pull anything off," Lindsay muffled.

"Too bad I didn't find that before you."

Jo came back with a pair of shoes that matched her dress. She tried them on and they ended up fitting.

"Okay, I will go purchase this and ask if the lady can hold it until we leave. I'll be back to help you look." She rushed up to the front in excitement.

"I really love that dress," Jo commented as we rummaged through the racks once more.

Jo left me and made her way to a rack that I haven't searched through. Why was I looking at green dresses? Green looked absolutely horrid on me.

"Adalynne?" Jo called. She had her eyes on a coral dress she had seen. It appeared it had caught her eyes in astonishment.

"If you don't get this dress, I will," she said.

"Well show me!" I exclaimed in eagerness.

She walked towards me with the long dress in her hand and she held it out before me.

The coral dress held a crystal embellished halter. It was a slit chiffon bright pink with a low back cut out. I loved it.

"Oh my gosh, Jo, I love it." I gazed in amazement.

"Holy moly, so will Baylor," Lindsay's eyes were like mine earlier: the heart-eye emoji.

"Go try it on!" they both hollered at me. I hustled to the fitting rooms and I heard Jo and Lindsay scamper to the area where the shoes were held.

When I was done trying on the dress, I look cautiously over every detail it had. I loved the color and the crystal embellishment. I rotated my body to look at my back and pulled my hair up, noticing the scar that took place along my spine. I sighed. I let my hair fall back down and I walked out of the room.

Lindsay and Jo noticed the dress on me, and they scurried up to me. "You look stunning!" Lindsay shouted.

I walked to the mirror to get a better glimpse at it since there was better lighting.

"What's wrong?" Jo asked.

I pulled my hair up to show them the scar I hated the most. "Look."

Jo and Lindsay looked at the dress from the back. "What am I looking at?" Lindsay questioned.

"The scar."

Jo slapped my shoulder. "Shut up. The dress is gorgeous on you. I'm pretty sure Baylor will strip you out of it with his eyes."

I huffed. "I like the dress, it's just - you just don't know how conscious I am of this scar."

Lindsay looked at me from the mirror as she stood behind me. "Well if it'll make you feel any better, you can get a hairstyle that'll cover it up. Your hair is long, so if, for instance, it gets curled or something, it'll cover it up. I mean, the scar is barely noticeable. Your dress is beautiful and I love it."

I took in her compliment and then let Baylor's voice come in my mind.

"It's not ugly," he'd say. I at least felt a little bit more satisfied.

I grinned. "I'm getting it."

I paid for my dress and shoes and Lindsay retrieved her dress and shoes from the lady and we walked back out to Lindsay's car.

"Well today was successful," Lindsay commented as we took off.

"Why don't we go to Chipotle?" Jo asked. By the sound of that, I was all of a sudden hungry.

"Hell yeah. Chipotle it is." Lindsay took a different road and we made our way to the delicious Mexican restaurant.

***

BAYLOR

The afternoon after school, Lane and I went to get a tux.

The guy that worked at the menswear store measured the broadness of my shoulders, bust, and chest. A woman measured Lane's, and when the two employees left to fetch our tuxes, we talked.

"Do they make coral ties?" I ask once I read Adalynne's text after I asked her what color her dress was.

"Yeah. They make every color out there," Lane answered. "I gotta get a Tiffany blue one."

The two employees returned with our tuxes and we tried them on. When the tux fit my body, he walked off. I began to fix the collar of my white shirt underneath.

"I've never done this before," I noted.

"What, wear a tux?" Lane queried.

"No, I mean prom. I've never been to homecoming either."

I fixed the corners at the shoulders of the tux.

"It's easy," Lane said.

Before I commented back, they both returned with our ties. Mine was definitely a coral pink. With the tuxedo already being on, I slid the tie on. I didn't know how to tie a tie, I just threw it around my neck and looked at it.

"Now the shoes."

I picked out a pair of black, shiny shoes from the dark wooden shelf. I tried on the shoes, making sure they fit right.

And all that was left was a new watch.

With the price being high, it was worth it. It was my senior prom - a prom I have the chance to go with the most beautiful girl on earth. Who could pass that up? I definitely wouldn't.

***

"I brought you a surprise," Adalynne spoke as she opened the door. I was currently working on homework with textbooks scattered everywhere. She flung her purse on the floor without a care in the world and walked towards me.

I sat my binder to the side and waited for Adalynne to sit beside me. She handed me the black box and I instantly grinned at the Mexican food before me.

"Whatcha working on?" she asked, taking a glimpse of the papers and textbooks.

"Freaking homework."

I took a bite of the burrito bowl she brought me. She hugged my neck as I ate and left her head on my shoulder with her arms locked across my chest. She kissed my cold cheek.

"You know I spent this morning binging out on Nutella."

I cackled. "You smell good," I complimented and kissed her cheek back.

"Today has been one, long day," she mumbled and stretched.

I hummed. "All I had to do was measure my body," I boasted with a grin over my lips after I took a bite out of my food.

I watched her roll her eyes. "Well you don't have to find a dress, heels, someone to do your hair and makeup. It's stressful because you want everything to be perfect and -" she paused as she didn't know how to continue her explanation.

I placed my food on the coffee table just to engulf her in my arms. I snaked my limbs around her body and pulled her to lay on top of me. I began massaging her head and I watched her eyes bat close.

"I just hope you have an unforgettable senior prom," she stated.

"With you going with me, it'll be unforgettable," I assured her. I palmed her bum and squeezed, earning a screech from her and a giggle.

"You need to finish your homework," Adalynne dictated.

I groaned. "That can wait."

Adalynne sat up and my hands rested on her thighs. She reached for the paper on the coffee table and scoped over it. She cringed.

"That looks too hard."

She rested the paper back on the coffee table and stared at the amount of work that needed to be completed.

"Do you have homework?" I ask.

She nodded her head. I rose an eyebrow and she smiled a pearly grin. She then groaned.

"Stop looking at me like that. Today has been a long day and I'm just tired." She laid her head back on my chest and yawned. "My brain can't function this time of night."

I played with the ends of her hair; twirling it around my fingers and twisting it.

"Why don't you go get a shower?" I question.

"I guess I should." She picked herself up and waltzed to my bathroom.

I decided to get back to working on my homework and slid off the couch. I sat in front of my coffee table and started on my psychology work.

As the minutes passed, they turned into hours with flipping through pages in my text books. These classes are killing me. I need my credits to graduate and keep my grades up.

It was currently midnight, and I had a feeling that Adalynne had fallen asleep since I haven't seen her since she took a shower.

I decided to just leave my math homework alone for tonight and do it in my free period tomorrow. I had my free period before math anyway. I placed all the papers in my binders and packed them away into my bookbag. I stood from the floor and cut everything off and locked the door.

I made my way to my room and found the duvet pushed back with a body under the sheets. Luckily I took my shower before I started on my homework because I was too tired to even function. I walked to the side of my bed and Adalynne's head was on my pillow. Her eyes were shut tight and her facial features were settle.

When I sat on my bed, Adalynne woke up and propped herself on her elbows. "Baylor?" she whispered innocently. She sniffled and I laid down and her head rested on my chest.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I felt moisture touch my neck. I brought my hand up to her cheek to wipe her tears away.

"When I was in the shower, I realized it's been four years since the plane crash and the four-year anniversary of my dad's death," she mumbled.

I rubbed her back, not knowing what to say. I felt terrible because I couldn't say something to make her feel better; I also couldn't do anything to make her feel better, either. I've never experienced death of a family member or anyone I've been close to. I didn't know what to do.

I turned on my side to face her but she kept her head nestled in my chest. I pushed hairs behind her ear every now and again.

"If I could take your pain away, I would." I kissed her forehead. She turned onto her back and I positioned myself on my elbow with my head in my hand. My body hovered over hers. She wasn't bawling her eyes out; just letting a tear slip here and there.

"Do you want some water?" I ask. She shook her head.

"I just want you to hold me and never let me go."

I nodded and she turned to face the other way. I engulfed her tiny body in my arms by pressing my chest to her back and crossing my arms over her chest. Her head laid on my bicep and I snaked my legs with hers.

"Thank you," she spoke.

I nodded my head. "I love you, Adalynne." I pressed a kiss to her temple and watched her bat her eyes close into a slumber; a place where she felt no pain, just peace. And for right now, that's where I wanted her to be.

A place in my arms where she was peaceful.

A place in my heart where she was loved.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA ILYSM

A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU GOES TO EVERY SINGLE SOLDIER WHO FOUGHT FOR OUR INDEPENDENCE AND FREEDOM FROM THE BRITS 239 YEARS AGO AND ARE STILL FIGHTING FOR OUR FREEDOM.

Been running the world since 1776 😏

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40K 890 70
"My heart is torn between two. I love them both. I have to let one go" . . Jazmin thought she found everything she could've imagined in her boyfrie...
63.4K 2K 37
"I'm scared" I whisper as a tear trails down my cheek. Hayden's eyes soften as he stares down at me. He pulls me into his chest, resting his head on...
1.2M 45K 25
Life was suppose to be easy or so they say. Haley Gardner had everything she could have ever wanted; a hot boyfriend, a loving family, and the chance...
1.3K 242 51
"I loved knowing she was scared of me. My insides were hurting from all the build up anger. It was all her fault. It was her fault my life was a mess...