CONQUERING THE CONQUEROR

By TheGeekyBard

After escaping from the slavers who've taken her and others from her village, Gabrielle finds her way to camp... More

pt.1
pt.2
pt.3
pt.4
pt.5
pt.6
pt.7
pt.8
pt.9
pt.10
pt.11
pt.12
pt.13
pt.14
pt.15
Pt.16
pt.17
pt.18
pt.19
pt.20
pt.21
pt.22
pt.23
pt.24
pt.25
pt.26
pt.27
pt.28
pt.29
pt.30
pt.31
pt.32
pt.33
pt.34
pt.35
pt.36
pt.37
pt.38
pt.39
pt.40
pt.41
pt.42
pt.43
pt.44
pt.45
pt.46
pt.47
pt.48
pt.49
pt.50
pt.51
pt.52
pt.53
pt.54
pt.56
pt.57
pt.58
pt.59
pt.60
pt.61
pt.62
pt.63
pt.64
pt.65
pt.66
pt.67
pt.68
pt.69
pt.70
pt.71
pt.72
pt.73
pt.74
FINALE

pt.55

26 0 0
By TheGeekyBard

?
Gabrielle? Gabrielle, where are you?

Gabrielle stood among a group of trees as she heard a voice call out to her from a distance, and turned toward the sound after immediately recognizing the voice calling her.

GABRIELLE
Lila?

LILA
You can't just leave me behind. Gabrielle.

Lila's voice echoed through the trees as Gabrielle began frantically looking around for her sister.

GABRIELLE
Lila, where are you?

LILA
Gabrielle, don't leave me here.

Gabrielle continued searching for where the voice was coming from only to realize that it seemed to be coming from all around her as a fog crept in around her, and she called out to her sister again.

GABRIELLE
I'm not going anywhere. Where are you?

LILA
Gabrielle!

With that fial yell Gabrielle found the direction that her sister's voice was coming from and took off running into the fog before coming out of it a few steps later and stopped when she found herself in a familiar place unable to believe what she was seeing.

PAST GABRIELLE
No Lila!

Gabrielle watched as the version of her past self stepped forward as her sister was torn from the group of frightened villagers.

HECTOR
Get back in with the rest of the group before you make me mad.

Wanting nothing but to protect her sister and the others that had been taken, the past Gabrielle stepped forward defiantly before the larger man and refused to move.

PAST GABRIELLE
Take me! Let the others go!

HECTOR
Now, why would I do that when I can easily take all of you?

LILA
Gabrielle run!

A bright light flashed as Gabrielle was suddenly watching herself running through the woods as she tried to escape from the slavers that were hot on her trail. And as they ran by her, Gabrielle turned to continue watching and jumped slightly when she saw Lila standing directly in front of her.

LILA
You left us Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
No that's not true. I ran to get help.

LILA
Did you? Because you never did come back.

GABRIELLE
I couldn't. I fell into a river while trying to escape and got swept away.

Lila began to slowly walk around Gabrielle.

LILA
Oh so in everything that happened afterward you're telling me that you never had the time or opportunity to come find me?

GABRIELLE
Alot's happened since. I'm gonna find you Lila I swear.

LILA
(Angry tone) Liar! You don't care about any of us at all. Now that you found your new home with that woman, you've forgotten all about us.

GABRIELLE
You're wrong. I could never forget about you. It's just that I don't even know how to even begin to look for you.

Lila stopped in front of Gabrielle.

LILA
You say that but we both know that you haven't even tried in who knows how long.

Gabrielle watched as her sister turned away from her.

LILA
It's clear that you've made your choice for who you actually care about. I hope you're happy with the choice you made Gabrielle and that woman is worth turning your back on your own family.

The young woman began walking away as Gabrielle called after her.

GABRIELLE
No Lila, wait.

Gabrielle tried to go after her sister but found herself unable to move from where she stood as she desperately tried to follow Lila who was quickly getting further and further away.

GABRIELLE
Come back. Lila!

Gabrielle struggled to move but couldn't as the sky above her suddenly grew dark and Lila slipped further out of her reach as Gabrielle continued to call out to her.

GABRIELLE
Lila, Lila. Lila!

Suddenly everything around her flashed to complete darkness and a moment later Gabrielle's eyes shot open as she sprang forward.

GABRIELLE
Lila wait! I...

Gabrielle looked around as her mind became clear, and she realized that she was sitting on the bed in her room in the Conqueror's keep.

GABRIELLE
Another nightmare?

Gabrielle sighed as she rubbed her eyes to feel the few tears that she had apparently shed in her sleep.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) I've been having more and more of those lately.

She turned to move to the edge of the bed and looked out the window to see that it was morning as her thoughts went back to her dream.

GABRIELLE
I haven't forgotten Lila, mother, everyone else. I haven't forgotten about any of you. I promise.

Snow was falling outside as Gabrielle stood among the shelves in the archives with an armful of scrolls that she was putting away after they had been returned. She had just gotten finished and stepped back to check her work when Sara walked over to her.

SARA
Why am I not surprised that you're done putting all those papers away already?

Gabrielle shrugged slightly as she looked over at the archivist.

GABRIELLE
I guess I'm just a fast worker.

SARA
I'm pretty sure we've already established that.

Sara smiled and stood looking at the shelf.

SARA
You know Gabrielle, you're so efficient with what you do around here that you don't really leave me with much else to do.

The archivist turned to Gabrielle as she continued.

SARA
Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
I'm glad I can help.

SARA
Oh you certainly help plenty, trust me.

GABRIELLE
So what should I do now?

Sara chuckled.

SARA
That's the thing Gabrielle. I don't think there's anything that needs doing around here. At least not at the moment anyway.

GABRIELLE
Well when you say that now I really don't know what to do?

The archivist shrugged.

SARA
Whatever you want I guess.

Gabrielle thought for a moment as she tried to figure out what she should do and remembered a handful of things she saw that she wanted to read while sorting scrolls and figured that might be a fun way to pass the time.

GABRIELLE
Well if you're sure you don't need me to do anything there are a few things I made a note to try and read if I ever had the time.

SARA
Then by all means. You go enjoy yourself and I think I'm gonna go see what that husband of mine is up to. That is if you don't mind being left in here alone?

GABRIELLE
It's no problem. You don't need to worry about me.

SARA
Okay. If you're sure., then I'll leave you to your scrolls and see you later.

GABRIELLE
Okay. Say hi to Leonidas for me.

SARA
I will.

With that, Sara said goodbye to Gabrielle and left the archives, leaving the young woman to explore whatever was there at her own discretion. Of which Gabrielle did a reserved enthusiasm.

GABRIELLE
(Talking to herself) Let's see, I'm pretty sure there's still a couple up there that I haven't read yet.

Gabrielle stood looking up at a shelf that sat above her head for a moment before looking for where the ladder currently was and bringing it back to the spot she had been before climbing up to find what she wanted.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) No, that's not it. Not that one. Nope. Read it.

Not finding what she was searching for, Gabrielle figured that it must have gotten put on the shelf above and climbed up further to look. She checked several scrolls and was still unable to find the one she wanted.

GABRIELLE
(Talking to herself) Come on. I know I put it here. Unless someone came and took it out to read and haven't returned it yet.

Gabrielle sighed to herself in minor disappointment.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) I guess I'll have to wait for that one. So now the question is what do I read now instea.... Wait a minute.

Gabrielle paused her train of thought as she spotted a rolled up paper that she hadn't checked yet and reached out to the side to get it.

GABRIELLE
Come on, allllmost.

Gabrielle stretched out her arm as far as she could and yet the scroll still remained just barely out of her reach. However, Gabrielle was convinced that she could get it without having to climb all the way back down, move the ladder just slightly and climb back up again. So in an act of pure stubbornness, Gabrielle took another step up on the ladder and learned a little further over. And that seemed to get her close enough to just barely reach the scroll. Although it was almost immediately after doing this that Gabrielle realized she had just made a big mistake when the ladder she was on began to tip in the direction she was leaning.

GABRIELLE
No, no, no.

Gabrielle frantically scrambled to grab on to the shelf to stop herself from falling, but was unable to get a hold of it as both she and the ladder went down, and she braced herself for impact.

GABRIELLE
Wah!

Gabrielle landed abruptly, but was surprisingly unhurt, like one would expect to be when falling from such a hight. And it was then that she looked up slightly as she heard someone speak.

XENA
Do I need to start following you around everywhere to make sure you don't get yourself hurt from falling?

Gabrielle chuckled slightly in minor embarrassment as she was held completely off the ground in the Conqueror's arms.

GABRIELLE
Thanks. For a moment there, I kinda thought I was in trouble.

The two look at each other for a moment not saying anything until Xena blank a couple of times and let Gabrielle down.

XENA
Yes well just be sure to be more careful from now on, okay. What's gonna happen if I'm not around when you get yourself in trouble, huh?

Gabrielle looked down.

GABRIELLE
Sorry. I'll be more careful.

XENA
Good to hear.

Xena smiled as she moved her hand to gently brush a few stray golden locks from Gabrielle's face that caused the young woman to look up into the Conqueror's eyes. In was in that moment that something undeniable passed between them and Gabrielle could feel her heart begin to beat faster as she knew that she was no longer able to keep the way she had come to feel for Xena silent.

GABRIELLE
My lord?

XENA
Yes?

GABRIELLE
What you said before. About you saying you loved me, I...

Gabrielle paused, suddenly not knowing how to tell the woman standing in front of her how she felt.

XENA
Yes?

GABRIELLE
Well it's just... what I mean is... or rather what I wanted to tell you was I....

?
Hey Gabrielle I ran into Sara who said you were here and thought I'd come by...

Hearing a voice both Gabrielle and Xena looked to the side as Elle came into view and stood a bit surprised by the sight of Gabrielle in the Conqueror's arms as they stood very close to one another.

ELLE
(Talking slowly) and see if you wanted company.

Suddenly Gabrielle felt her face get very hot as she could only imagine how red it was and swiftly stepped out of Xena's embrace as she tried and failed miserably to act casual.

GABRIELLE
Elle, what a nice surprise. The lord Conqueror was just putting me down from catching me after I fell off this ladder.

ELLE
Are you okay?

Gabrielle went to lean her elbow on a step of the ladder and in her nervousness missed the step and stumbled slightly before quickly recovering and getting her elbow on the step after a rapid second attempt and leaned against it casually.

GABRIELLE
Oh yeah, I'm okay.

Elle eyed Gabrielle slightly as she noticed that her friend seemed to be acting a little odd.

ELLE
Are you sure? Because you seem a little off right now.

GABRIELLE
(Slightly nervous tone) Me? Off? What are you talking about Elle? I'm fine.

ELLE
Really? Because you don't seem fine.

Realizing that Gabrielle appeared to be uncomfortable with the situation, Xena decided to step in to put a stop to Elle's questioning.

XENA
(Stern tone) She said everything's fine.

Slightly surprised by Xena's tone, Elle stood up a little straighter as she addressed the Conqueror.

ELLE
Oh, my mistake.

Xena then turned her attention back to Gabrielle, who looked away slightly in an attempt to hide her awareness over the whole situation.

XENA
Well being that you're all good here, I'll be going so you can get back to your scrolls.

Xena gave a quick nod goodbye before turning around and leaving Gabrielle and Elle as the young woman looked at Gabrielle.

ELLE
So what did you wanna read?

Suddenly not really feeling interested in what she had originally wanted to do , but more particularity just not wanting to deal with the awkward situation of having Elle potentially asking more questions, Gabrielle quickly made up an excuse to leave.

GABRIELLE
(Lying) Actually the Conqueror just came here to tell me that she needed me for some scribe work.

She began slowly walking away.

GABRIELLE
(Lying) So I really should get going. You know how the lord Conqueror doesn't like to be kept waiting.

Before Elle could respond, Gabrielle turned around and hurried out of sight as again the feeling that something was going on with her friend and the Conquerer that she was missing.

SERVANT 1
(Whisper) Look there she is, out and about again.

SERVANT 2
(Whisper) You think she's going off to see her?.

SERVANT 1
(Whisper) Mmm I don't know.

SERVANT 2
(Whisper) Oh come on, don't tell me you haven't noticed. I mean how often have you seen her going this way before.

SERVANT 1
(Whisper) Hmi guess you have a point. I wonder if the rumors going around are true then

SERVANT 1
(Whisper) Well if you ask me I say...

SERVANT 2
(Whisper) Oh shhh here she comes.

The gossiping servants quickly went quiet as Xena approached from down the hall and walked past them on her way to where they assumed was the archives as yet another day came at the keep. And only spoke up again once they figured the Conqueror was out of earshot.

SERVANT 2
(Whisper) Did you see that look in her eyes that she's always trying to hide when you know who's around?

SERVANT 1
(Whisper) I don't know. I mean, this is the lord Conqueror we're talking about here so...

Able to hear every word that the pair of servants were saying and feeling rather annoyed by the excessive amount of similar gossip that she'd been hearing going around the keep for some time, Xena stopped and turned back toward the servants.

XENA
(Irritated tone) You know if you're gonna gossip about someone, it's probably smarter to do when that person's not around, Especially when that particular person is responsible for your employment.

The two servants looked at the Conqueror in shock as they both began to stumble over their words in a hasty effort to apologize as Xena stood watching them for a bit before hearing a voice behind her and looked to see Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
What's going on? Is everything okay?

Xena smiled.

XENA
Everything's fine. I was just taking care of a little business before coming to see you, is all.

Gabrielle walked up to Xena.

GABRIELLE
Were you coming to see me again?

XENA
I was. Though I guess I would've been surprised when I got to the archives, and you weren't there.

GABRIELLE
Oh well without much to do there, Sara said I could go off and do whatever I wanted. So I decided to take a walk around the keep. I hope that's okay.

XENA
Of course it is. You're free to go wherever you like.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
So um, did you need me for scribe duties or was there something else you wanted to see me for?

Xena stepped closer to the young woman and lowered her voice slightly.

XENA
Well given that I haven't gotten any new letters or anything today, why didn't you tell me.

Xena stepped back as she smirked at the expression on Gabrielle's face when she let a soft smile cross her lips. However, Xena's happy expression quickly faded to a scowl when she heard the pair of servants whispering to one another.

SERVANT 1
(Whisper) Huh, looks like you were right after alll.

SERVANT 2
(Whisper) See, I told you. There's definitely something going on with her and...

Overhearing the servants' conversation yet again, Xena looked over her shoulder and sent an angry glare their way.

XENA
(Irritated tone) I'm not sure if you either think that I'm suddenly hard of hearing or if you're too stupid to realize when you should keep your mouths shut. So tell me which one is it?

SERVANT 2
(Nervous tone) Well we uh I suppose it would be the second one?

XENA
(Sinister tone) Well if that's the case I'm afraid that I can't fix stupid, but you not being able to keep quiet, now that, I can do something about.

Gabrielle looked on as the tense situation unfolded and found herself feeling concerned for the servants.

GABRIELLE
My lord...

The Conqueror glanced over at Gabrielle and seeing the worried look on the young woman's face, and paused for a brief moment before returning her attention to the servants with a scowl.

XENA
(Sinister tone) But fortunately for you, I'm in a good mood today so instead of just cutting your tongues out right here and now, I'm gonna give you to the count of five for you to start running before I even pull my knife from my boot.

One servant looked at the other.

SERVANT 2
(Nervous tone) Wait she isn't serious, is she?

XENA
One.

SERVANT 1
(Nervous tone) She can't be.

XENA
Two.

SERVANT 2
(Nervous tone) I don't know she looks pretty serious to me.

Xena moved her hand to her dagger that she always kept on her at all times as she continued her count.

XENA
Three.

Xena took a step toward the servants, who moved back as the Conqueror's words appeared to indeed be more than just an idle threat.

SERVANT 1
I think you're right about her not bluffing.

XENA
Four.

The servant's watched as Xena pulled her dagger from it's sheathe.

SERVANT 2
Oh Zues, run!

In a frantic scramble the two servants spun around and began to run as they heard Xena's voice from where she was still standing.

XENA
Five!

With a terrified scream the two servants dove to the floor in an attempt to avoid the dagger that they were certain was just sent their way. Only to not see it and look back to see the Conqueror walking toward them with the weapon still in hand, as they scurried to their feet and ran down the hall and out of sight learning Xena standing there as a smile crossed her face and she casually flipped the dagger in her hand before returning it to its sheathe and turned around to walk back to Gabrielle who looked down as she came back.

XENA
Relax I wasn't actually gonna do it.

Gabrielle raised her head in surprise.

GABRIELLE
You weren't?

XENA
Nope. I just wanted them remember who it was that they were talking about and that they should be forced on their jobs and not standing around gossiping about what I'm doing.

Gabrielle gave a relieved smile.

GABRIELLE
Oh. Well, I suppose that's good.

Xena smiled.

XENA
I'm glad you agree.

The Conqueror turned to walk away.

XENA
Now, if you wouldn't mind I was wondering if would you care to accompany me back to my quarters. Maybe you can tell me another one of those stories of yours.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
I'd like that.

Xena smiled back before turning completely and began to walk off, with Gabrielle close behind as they made their way to her private quarters. But for what both women expected to not be anything more than just a little quiet alone time together, what would happen in that room on that day would become another pivotal turning point for their each of their lives.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

200 1 27
When a group of Demons representing each of the seven deadly sins break free from where they've been imprisoned for centuries and began to reek havoc...
1.6K 148 27
In a shocking twist of fate, the unprepared Princess Vivienne of the Azalea Kingdom is suddenly forced onto the throne and shoved into the midst of a...
314 24 16
(not related to the episode with the same name) What happens when Xena and Gabrielle are pinned against each other, in an evil plot to destroy Xena...
197 0 26
With Xena forgiven for her past crimes against the Amazon's and Gabrielle's queenhood restored, Xena and Gabrielle decide it might be time for them a...