CONQUERING THE CONQUEROR

By TheGeekyBard

After escaping from the slavers who've taken her and others from her village, Gabrielle finds her way to camp... More

pt.1
pt.2
pt.3
pt.4
pt.5
pt.6
pt.7
pt.8
pt.9
pt.10
pt.11
pt.12
pt.13
pt.14
pt.15
Pt.16
pt.17
pt.18
pt.19
pt.20
pt.21
pt.22
pt.23
pt.24
pt.25
pt.26
pt.27
pt.28
pt.29
pt.30
pt.31
pt.32
pt.33
pt.34
pt.35
pt.37
pt.38
pt.39
pt.40
pt.41
pt.42
pt.43
pt.44
pt.45
pt.46
pt.47
pt.48
pt.49
pt.50
pt.51
pt.52
pt.53
pt.54
pt.55
pt.56
pt.57
pt.58
pt.59
pt.60
pt.61
pt.62
pt.63
pt.64
pt.65

pt.36

13 0 0
By TheGeekyBard

XENA
(Stern tone) Absolutely not.

MELOSA
With all due respect Conqueror, this isn't your decision.

With a scowl on her face, Xena paused in her steps as she turned to face the Amazon queen and a few other women accompanying her as the group moved through the halls of the keep on their way to the Conqueror's study.

XENA
(Irritated) The fuck it isn't. You can be queen of the god's, Hera herself for all I care. You're in my home, on my lands, so you don't get to just come in a dictate what happens to the people here. End of discussion.

Without another word and before Melosa could reply Xena turned back around and continued down the hall.

XENA
Now if you'll excuse me I have to see if anyone has found anything regarding your daughter's killer.

A small groan was let out as Gabrielle slowly opened her eyes. She found herself laying in a bed within a room in the healers quarters of the keep. Her mind still a bit foggy as she tried to piece together exactly what had happened as she looked over to the window near her bed and saw that the sun had clearly long since set which caused her to question just how long she had been unconscious. She laid there for several moments lost in her in thoughts until the sound of the door opening caught her attention as she heard someone entering the room and turned her head to see Ephiny walking in as the Amazon shut the door behind her and turned to see Gabrielle looking at her.

EPHINY
Sorry I didn't mean to wake you.

GABRIELLE
You didn't.

Gabrielle watched as Ephiny walked around and lit a couple candles that were placed around the room before coming over to Gabrielle's bedside.

EPHINY
How are you feeling?

Whether the Amazon was asking if she was in physical pain or if she was referring to how she was handling everything that had taken place earlier in the day Gabrielle wasn't sure, but gave an answer that would fit either question nonetheless.

GABRIELLE
I... don't know.

EPHINY
Is there anything I can get you?

Gabrielle shook her head no as an awkward silence filled the room before Gabrielle spoke up several moments later after somewhat gathering her thoughts of which were scattered all over the place as she tried to make sense of what had happened over the dinner turned nightmare that had taken place earlier in the evening.

GABRIELLE
What happened earlier? Why?

Still unsure of what exactly happened as the incident was still being investigated Ephiny didn't have an answer for Gabrielle and knew that she needed to be honest with her about the fact, along with everything else that would now come from it.

EPHINY
If you mean the attack I'm afraid we still don't have any answers. Both our people and the Conqueror's are at work as we speak doing everything they can to find whoever's responsible. Hopefully they'll be found soon so they can be brought to justice.

GABRIELLE
I hope so too.

Gabrielle sighed as she tried to sit up but felt a pain in her shoulder that drove her right back down on the bed as she let out a pain fueled yelp.

EPHINY
You shouldn't be moving right now. You took a pretty serious hit to your shoulder when you were struck by that arrow.

Gabrielle put her elbows under her as she again tried to move.

GABRIELLE
I'm not trying to get out of bed. I just wanna get more comfortable and sit up a little.

Ephiny stood there watching her for a moment before sighing to herself and picked up the pillow that was sitting in a nearby chair and helped Gabrielle lean forward slightly as she placed the pillow behind her before easing her back against it.

EPHINY
There. Better?

GABRIELLE
Much. Thank you.

EPHINY
Don't mention it.

Ephiny walked back over to the chair she had gotten the pillow from and moved the small blanket to the side as she slid the chair up to Gabrielle's bedside.

EPHINY
Is it alright if I sit?

GABRIELLE
Of course.

Gabrielle watched as the Amazon took a seat and idly look around the room almost as if she would rather be somewhere else instead of in that room. Which Gabrielle found odd as she wondered why exactly the woman was even there in the first place. Was she upset with Gabrielle for not being able to protect Terreis? Did queen Melosa send her to try and get some answers for why she hadn't done more to help her daughter. Someone who Gabrielle called her friend. Which brought tears to Gabrielle's eyes as she remembered the moment of watching her friend die right in front of her and thought that she should at least attempt to offer her condolences. Even though she knew it would likely wouldn't really make any difference.

GABRIELLE
Listen Ephiny, about Terreis. I... I'm really sorry. If I had noticed the arrow sooner...

EPHINY
There wasn't anything that you could've done. The former princess died as a result of that surprise attack. You risked your life in order to try and save her. A quality that she clearly saw as being worthy of becoming her successor.

Gabrielle looked at Ephiny confused by what the woman had just said.

GABRIELLE
Her successor? What are you talking about?

Mirroring Gabrielle's baffled expression for a moment, Ephiny realized that given the chaos of the situation, Gabrielle likely didn't remember Terreis passing her rite of caste to her just before dying and reminded Gabrielle of that fact. Or strengthen out any confusion if that didn't actually happen.

EPHINY
Terreis's rite of caste, I was told you accepted it. Or didn't you?

GABRIELLE
Her rite of caste?

Gabrielle searched her memory of the day's events, though once the attack started everything after all seemed like a blur. Still after a moment Gabrielle did remember that Terreis had said something about giving her something that the dying process referred to as her "rite of caste" and Gabrielle had said yes. But in all honesty Gabrielle had no clue what Terreis was talking about and just said yes to it because it seemed important to her friend.

GABRIELLE
I think she said something about giving me something like that.

EPHINY
And did you accept it?

GABRIELLE
Yes?

Gabrielle looked around for a moment as she wondered if she had inadvertently done something that she shouldn't have.

GABRIELLE
Why? What exactly did I say yes to?

Ephiny was just about to try and explain the situation that Gabrielle had gotten into when the two heard a pair of voices coming from the other side of the door of two people who seemed to be engaged in a very heated debate.

?1
It doesn't matter what you say. My answer is no.

?2
Again, you say that as though you have any say in the matter.

Gabrielle and Ephiny looked at each other, recognizing the other voices as they didn't have time to wonder what the agreement was about before the door to Gabrielle's room opened as Xena and Melosa walked in, not acknowledging Gabrielle or Ephiny as they continued their debate before Xena slammed the door behind her and glared angerly at the Amazon queen.

XENA
(Angry tone) I said no and that's final. And if you don't like it you can just forget about getting my help against Draco as you take your people and leave right now.

Melosa scowled as she crossed her arms and stood staring intensely at Xena.

MELOSA
So is that how it's gonna be, Xena?

XENA
It's Conqueror to you, Melosa. And yes, it is. That is, if it needs to be.

MELOSA
We both know it doesn't.

XENA
Well that's up to you now, isn't it?

MELOSA
Don't do this Xena. We both know that Amazon law is clear on this. The girl was given Terreis's rite of caste and as such inherited my daughter's role as princess and next in line for queen of our tribe.

XENA
You're queen, you can change that if you wanted to.

Melosa scoffed at the comment.

MELOSA
You really don't know as much about Amazonian culture and politics as you think Conqueror. Do you seriously believe that I want my successor to be someone from the outside who doesn't know anything about our people let alone ruling over them?

XENA
Well if that's really the case, there must be something you can do that doesn't involve taking her from here and into a world she knows nothing about.

Melosa sighed in frustration as she looked at Gabrielle and then back to Xena as a question regarding the Conqueror's behavior over the matter came to mind.

MELOSA
I suppose I can see your point. But let me ask you something.

XENA
(Irritated tone) What?

MELOSA
Why do you care so much about us taking Gabrielle?

Xena casually shrugged.

XENA
I just don't like people taking what's mine. You should know that by now.

The Amazon queen thought for a moment before replying.

MELOSA
Interesting. I thought you didn't own slaves, Conqueror.

XENA
I don't. And you know that.

MELOSA
Then tell me how exactly Gabrielle belongs to you? Or is required to stay here?

Xena scowled at Melosa fully aware that the woman knew that she didn't have any sound reasoning that would legally prevent Melosa and her Amazons from taking Gabrielle with them when they left. And in all honesty even Xena herself wasn't sure as to why the thought of the young woman leaving seemed to bother her so much.

GABRIELLE
Um, don't I get a say in any of this?

Having completely forgotten that they were in the room with her, both Melosa and Xena turned their attention to Gabrielle who was still seated in her bed with Ephiny standing beside her who bowed her head and stepped aside as Melosa moved to Gabrielle's bedside as Xena stood at the foot of the bed with her arms crossed giving Melosa an evil look before turning her eyes to Gabrielle.

MELOSA
Technically it is your decision for whether or not you wish to be truly initiated into the tribe.

XENA
(Annoyed Sarcasm) Oh so suddenly now your laws aren't so set in stone when I'm not the one with the objections.

Not saying anything Melosa gave Xena a disapproving glance before returning her focus on Gabrielle as she continued.

MELOSA
This is a very important decision to make so if you need time to consider it, I'll understand.

Gabrielle thought for a moment.

GABRIELLE
So am I really the princess to the Amazon's?

MELOSA
Unless you renounce the title even though you aren't part of the tribe, yes. You're technically princess and my heir to the throne.

GABRIELLE
And if I accept then I'll become an Amazon, you'll take me with you when you leave here?

MELOSA
If that's what you want, then yes you'll come with us.

XENA
(Muttering to herself) Not if I have anything to say about it.

Again Melosa glared at the Conqueror as Gabrielle also looked her way and Melosa could tell that she felt somewhat intimated by her presence and comments and placed her hand on the opposite shoulder from the one that had been injured by the arrow to try reassuring her.

MELOSA
Gabrielle this is your decision and no one else's.

The Amazon queen glanced over at the Conqueror as she continued.

MELOSA
Regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Xena scowled as Melosa returned her focus to Gabrielle.

MELOSA
And you don't need to fear reproductions of whatever you choose. If you choose to come with us and learn our ways, you'll be protected and ensured safe passage away from here and to our village where you'll live freely within the village as you're prepared to one day take my place as queen. Or if you decide that this isn't something you want then you need only to denounce the title and that'll be the end of it.

Gabrielle looked at the two leaders who stood before her as she realized that this moment was a possibility the one that she had been wanting for as she imagined that she'd have far more freedom among the Amazons even if she didn't know what being one would actually be like. And even if she decided that she didn't really want to become part of their tribe she could probably just say so after they left the keep, and then she could finally search for her sister and go back to Potidea. And so with that in mind, Gabrielle had no doubt as she spoke knowing exactly what she wanted to do.

GABRIELLE
I'll do it. I'll go with you back to your village, become an Amazon and their princess.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242 0 18
Following the great Amazon war. Peace is thought to be restored to the Amazon nation as Xena and Gabrielle continue their stay in the secret village...
192K 13.4K 108
(gxg) Aboard the Scorned Woman, there is a crew pirates that hail from all five Baethean continents. They raid merchant ships and other pirates in th...
121 0 27
After fighting to save Aurora and taking down the vengeful daughter of Velasca, Gabrielle is gravelly injured. Being unable to fulfill her role as qu...
186 0 26
With Xena forgiven for her past crimes against the Amazon's and Gabrielle's queenhood restored, Xena and Gabrielle decide it might be time for them a...