CONQUERING THE CONQUEROR

By TheGeekyBard

After escaping from the slavers who've taken her and others from her village, Gabrielle finds her way to camp... More

pt.1
pt.2
pt.3
pt.4
pt.5
pt.6
pt.7
pt.8
pt.9
pt.10
pt.11
pt.12
pt.13
pt.14
pt.15
Pt.16
pt.17
pt.18
pt.19
pt.20
pt.21
pt.22
pt.23
pt.24
pt.25
pt.26
pt.27
pt.28
pt.29
pt.30
pt.31
pt.32
pt.33
pt.34
pt.36
pt.37
pt.38
pt.39
pt.40
pt.41
pt.42
pt.43
pt.44
pt.45
pt.46
pt.47
pt.48
pt.49
pt.50
pt.51
pt.52
pt.53
pt.54
pt.55
pt.56
pt.57
pt.58
pt.59
pt.60
pt.61
pt.62
pt.63
pt.64
pt.65
pt.66

pt.35

14 0 0
By TheGeekyBard

The tensions were high as a large number of people gathered around the body of the slain Amazon princess. Melosa knelt beside her daughter whose head rested in Gabrielle's lap and gently brushed aside the few stray hairs from the young woman's face, her eyes filled with a silent grief as the Amazon fought to maintain her composer in front of those gathered around.

MELOSA
...Terreis.

Gabrielle looked at Melosa as she felt her own tears fall for her dead friend.

GABRIELLE
I'm sorry. I tried to protect her, but...

Gabrielle lowered her head in both mourning and disappointment in herself for not being able to prevent her friend's death.

GABRIELLE
I wasn't able to really do anything for her in the end.

Xena crouched down beside Gabrielle, Melosa and the deceased Terreis.

XENA
There wasn't anything that anyone could've done. Once that arrow hit Terreis, it was already too late for her.

The Conqueror looked at the arrow sticking out of the young woman's chest.

XENA
Giving that she was the first one hit before the rest of the arrows came in, whoever is responsible for this knew what they were doing and wanted her dead more than anyone else.

Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE
But why? She was one of the nicest people I've ever met. Who could wanna kill someone like her?

XENA
You're even more naive than I thought if you think that just being nice will spare anyone from falling victim to someone else who might hold a grudge against them for whatever reason. Being what people call nice does nothing but put a target on your back.

Gabrielle lowered her head sadly as she looked at Terreis who was lifted from her lap by Melosa as the Amazon queen stood up with her daughter's lifeless body in her arms as she called over a couple other women from her village.

MELOSA
Ephiny, Solari, take Terreis to the horse and prepare her for the trip home.

She then glared at Xena as she turned to face her while still speaking to her fellow Amazons.

MELOSA
We're leaving immediately. It seems that darling to trust anyone outside ourselves was a mistake.

Xena scowled at the implication as Terreis's body was taken from Melosa who then moved to stand toe to toe with the Conqueror.

XENA
(Irritated tone) You can't possibly think I'm responsible for this.

MELOSA
(Quiet angry tone) And what am I supposed to think? My only daughter was assassinated within your walls Conqueror. In fact, I'd even dare to say that based on the Method of this latent attack that this was an attempt on not only her life, but mine and the rest of my party that accompanied me here. And to think that I was foolish enough to believe we were allies and lowered my guard around you. A mistake that I will never let happen again.

In a flash Melosa drew a dagger from her boot and lunged for Xena in a grief fueled rage. She drove her blade straight for Xena's chest as before anyone else could react Xena grabbed Melosa's wrist, twisted it and kicked the back of the Amazon queen's knee, causing her to drop to one knee as before Melosa could recover a series of guards had moved in with their weapons drawn and surrounded her and the Conqueror who held Melosa in place as she grabbed a handful of the queen's hair and tilted her head back to look at the Conqueror as she spoke.

XENA
(Cold tone) Don't let your emotions lead you to doing something stupid Melosa. You'll remember where you are and who I am. If I wanted you or any of your people dead I wouldn't make such a half-assed attempt as to just unleash a hail of arrows into a room which might I remind you has my people in as well.

MELOSA
(Quiet angry tone) Oh please, it's well known that you've got no problem with sacrificing your own in order to get what you want.

As Melosa spoke Xena's eyes shot to several Amazons who were slowly moving closer and Xena pulled the Amazon queen's hair slightly as she addressed the other woman.

XENA
Uh, uh, I'm afraid this little conversation is between me and your queen. Now if we don't want any more bloodshed to occur here today, I'd suggest that you all back off.

Angry Amazon eyes glared at Xena as several began to spread out in an attempt to take Xena off guard.

MELOSA
Stand down. That's an order.

Hearing their queen's command, the tribal women backed off but remained really for if they needed to take action as Xena resumed speaking to Melosa as she addressed the woman's point of the Conqueror's willingness to sacrifice her own people in order to achieve whatever goals she may have.

XENA
You might be right about my sacrificing my men in rare occasions when I don't see any other way to victory. But what you're forgetting in this scenario Melosa, is that I was in the room too during the attack. So why would I have had them unleash such a risky tactic?

MELOSA
Like you're men would hit you.

XENA
In that level of chaos there would be no way to ensure that I wouldn't be hit. There were actually several close calls during the attack where if I had been slightly off in my timing or positioning, I could've ended up resembling a human sized pin cushion. Much like some of the others here who weren't quite so lucky.

Xena nodded toward several bodies of those who had fallen victim to the arrows that had rained down over the room. Among them were both those in the Conqueror's employ as well as a few other Amazons who were killed along with Terreis. After taking a long moment to take in the full extent of the scene before her, Melosa found herself agreeing with Xena's logic.

MELOSA
Though my heart tells me otherwise at the moment, I suppose you have a point, Conqueror. You have my apologies for jumping to conclusions and going after you.

XENA
Given the situation, I can't say that I wouldn't have drawn a similar conclusion right away and done the same. Though that's not to say that I appreciate the accusation.

Xena released Melosa and stepped back as her guards remained ready if the Amazon queen went after their leader again. But this time the woman remained calm as she turned to face Xena and sheathed her blade.

MELOSA
Then, if you aren't the culprit behind this attack and the cause of my daughter's death, it means someone else in this building is. And I fully intend on finding out who they are and making sure they pay for what they've done.

XENA
I agree. So allow me to help you find those responsible. This was undoubtedly a ploy to pin us against one another. Because whoever did this knew that I'd be the top suspect for this. Making it much easier for them to get away with whatever it is they tried to do here.

MELOSA
You may have a point. Which would mean that you may need to look into getting yourself better securityConqueror.

XENA
So it would seem.

The two leaders attention was drawn away from their conversation when Gabrielle made a painful groan from the arrow still stuck in her shoulder as she remained kneeling beside Terreis's body and Xena crouched down beside her.

XENA
Come here, let's take care of that shoulder.

In pain and still in shock from everything that had just happened Gabrielle just did as she was told and let Xena examine her injury.

XENA
It's in too deep to just pull out without causing more damage.

Xena grabbed the arrows shaft and broke off the feathered end as she took a moment to look at it and take note of its style as Gabrielle questioned what she was doing.

GABRIELLE
What do you mean it's too deep? How am I supposed to get it ou- AAH!

A sharp, stabbing pain suddenly ripped through Gabrielle's shoulder, cutting her off mid-question as she felt the arrow head being pushed further into her shoulder. She yelled out in agony as the foreign object was forced through her flesh and tried to push Xena away, but instead was held tight as the Conqueror wrapped one strong arm around both of Gabrielle's, pinning them at her side before resuming to push on the arrow.

XENA
(Stern tone) The arrow has to come out damn it. Now hold still.

The pain in Gabrielle's shoulder persisted before suddenly getting much worse for a moment as she felt the arrow head rip through the flesh in the front of her shoulder, resulting in a loud scream that Xena ignored as she took hold of the head of the arrow and pulled the rest of the broken item through the wound and tossed it aside as Gabrielle's body gave out from the pain, and she involuntarily fell forward but was caught by Xena, who gently laid her down on the floor before telling someone to come bring Gabrielle to the healers and bandage her wound.

MELOSA
Wait a minute. She's not going anywhere without having someone go with her.

The Conqueror scowled as she stood up and looked at the Amazon queen.

XENA
What are you talking about? You have no say in what I do with the people under my employ.

MELOSA
You're right,but Gabrielle is no longer just another person in your keep. You heard it yourself Conqueror. My daughter passed her rite of caste on to Gabrielle who accepted. Which by Amazon law makes her not only an Amazon, but also puts her in place to be next in line for the throne. After she's probably initiated into the tribe that is.

XENA
She clearly didn't know what she was doing.

MELOSA
My daughter may have been young, but she was no fool Xena. She wouldn't have just given away her rite of caste to someone who she didn't think was worthy of caring on in her place and eventually taking over as queen.

XENA
Well Gabrielle obviously didn't know what accepting that meant.

Xena paused for a moment as she thought of something about the whole situation that seemed a bit odd to her.

XENA
Which brings up another point of how she and your daughter knew each other. And how you do as well. Because you seem to be a bit more familiar with her than people who have just met today.

MELOSA 
Because we didn't. It was actually not very long ago when she and another young woman wandered into our territory and were brought to our village for a night before I sent them back here.

XENA
Interesting.

Overhearing the conversation while drifting out of consciousness, Gabrielle felt herself beginning to panic as she realized that the Conqueror had just learned about her attempted escape. She tried to sit up and plea her case but was pinned back to the floor by the Conqueror who glanced in her direction.

XENA
Don't move. You're wound isn't cleaned or bandaged. You won't get very far before you feel faint from blood loss.

Xena then looked at Melosa.

XENA
You want someone with her, fine. Send one of your uninjured to accompany her to the healers.

Xena returned her gaze to Gabrielle for a moment.

XENA
I'll deal with this new information afterwards. For now, we have more urgent matters to attend to.

Gabrielle, along with several other injured people were brought to the keeps infirmary as the search for the culprits of the attack spread throughout the keep. And as the sun fell on the unexpectedly chaotic day, Gabrielle would soon find that the days ahead wouldn't be any less intense as she had unknowingly become a part of something much bigger than just accepting a role that she didn't fully understand. And landed in the middle of a conflict that had been secretly brewing for some time that as a result would inadvertently also draw the Conqueror into the situation. And not in the way that the culprit would have hoped.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242 0 18
Following the great Amazon war. Peace is thought to be restored to the Amazon nation as Xena and Gabrielle continue their stay in the secret village...
121 0 27
After fighting to save Aurora and taking down the vengeful daughter of Velasca, Gabrielle is gravelly injured. Being unable to fulfill her role as qu...
189 0 29
After falling deathly ill, given her rite of caste and queenhood to Xena and later being miraculously resurrected and heald by the mixture Xena had g...
203 13 9
When Xena's past dark side re-emerges. Gabrielle has to find a way to bring the good Xena back.