CONQUERING THE CONQUEROR

By TheGeekyBard

After escaping from the slavers who've taken her and others from her village, Gabrielle finds her way to camp... More

pt.1
pt.2
pt.3
pt.4
pt.5
pt.6
pt.7
pt.8
pt.9
pt.10
pt.11
pt.12
pt.13
pt.14
pt.15
Pt.16
pt.17
pt.18
pt.19
pt.20
pt.21
pt.22
pt.23
pt.24
pt.25
pt.26
pt.27
pt.28
pt.29
pt.30
pt.31
pt.32
pt.34
pt.35
pt.36
pt.37
pt.38
pt.39
pt.40
pt.41
pt.42
pt.43
pt.44
pt.45
pt.46
pt.47
pt.48
pt.49
pt.50
pt.51
pt.52
pt.53
pt.54
pt.55
pt.56
pt.57
pt.58
pt.59
pt.60
pt.61
pt.62
pt.63
pt.64
pt.65

pt.33

18 0 0
By TheGeekyBard

With the arrival of the group of Amazons, the Conqueror's keep was busier than normal with the rushed need to accommodate the visitors as Xena lead the visiting women inside. Once within the building's walls, Xena and Melosa separated from the rest of the group as they stood off to the side of the large entrance room to speak a bit more privately.

XENA
Given the situation you briefly mentioned outside, am I to assume that this isn't going to be a lengthy visit?

MELOSA
It's not planned to be no. I hope that we can come to an agreement quickly. The last thing I want is to give our attackers more opportunity to prey on my people.

XENA
Makes sense.

Xena motioned for Leonidas who was standing among the guards that remained at attention for Xena's next orders to join her and Melosa.

LEONIDAS
My lord.

XENA
Have some of the servants prepare several rooms and show these visiting women to them.

LEONIDAS
As you wish.

XENA
And send word to the kitchen that we'll be having a grand dinner in honor of our guests.

The Conqueror looked at Melosa.

XENA
If that's alright with you?

MELOSA
It's not necessary but if that's what you want, we'll graciously accept your hospitality Conqueror.

Xena returned her attention to Leonidas.

XENA
You heard the woman.

LEONIDAS
Consider it done. I'll get on it right away.

With a quick salute, Leonidas walked off to do as instructed as Xena looked at the Amazon queen.

XENA
I'm gonna assume that you'd rather wait to be shown to your room and get straight to the business of why you're here.

MELOSA
The sooner, the better. I trust that I can leave my sister's in your people's care.

Xena gave a quick nod to assure that the other Amazons would be just fine as she turned away.

XENA
Fine. Follow me.

So as a group of servants came to escort the other visiting Amazons to their rooms, Xena lead Melosa thought the keep, to her study.

XENA
It's been quite a while sense we spoke last, hasn't it?

MELOSA
I suppose it has.

The two leaders entered the Conqueror's study as Xena closed the door behind them to give them privacy to discuss matters freely, before mowing further into the room.

XENA
Can I offer you anything?

MELOSA
I'm fine, thanks.

Xena motioned to a chair in offering for the Amazon queen to have a seat as she sat down behind her desk.

MELOSA
I'd rather stand if you don't mind.

XENA
Very well. Then let's get down to why you're here.

MELOSA
Urgency.

The Amazon walked up to the Conqueror's desk.

MELOSA
There's trouble within our lands. We've been invaded by a massive group who've been stalking, attacking and kidnapping many of the Amazons spread across the land.

XENA
How long has this been going on for?

MELOSA
From what I've gathered it's been several moons since the first known attack. Though I only received word a little over one moon ago. Since then, I've been doing my best to keep track of the developing situation.

XENA
And?

MELOSA
Over that time more and more Amazons have fallen victim to these people, and it seems that no matter what we do, we're fighting a losing battle. And in just this moon cycle, I don't, know how they're doing it, but it seems that no matter what we throw at them, it's not enough. It's as if the enemy has grown stronger and more ruthless in their pursuit of our people. Which is why I've come to ask for your help in dealing with this.

Xena sat quietly for a moment as she absorbed the information just given to her before speaking again.

XENA
This is a rather troubling turn of events. It must really be a massive army to cause this much of a threat.

MELOSA
That's the thing. As far as I'm aware, it's not. The numbers are high, but they're nothing that should stop us from warding off an assault like this

XENA
Unfamiliar tactics?

MELOSA
Not that I'm aware of. It seems that we're just simply being overpowered on the battlefield.

XENA
Maybe your Amazons just have finally met their match.

Not appreciating the Conqueror's callous comment, Melosa scowled.

MELOSA
(Irritated tone) Might I remind you that we have a treaty, Conqueror. And even with that aside, what makes you think that you won't be one of the next ones to be targeted once Draco's done with the Amazon people?

Hearing the sudden and unexpected mention of Draco's name brought a scowl to Xena's face as the pieces for why the warlord hadn't followed up from his attack on Amphipolis with another attack on her territory.

XENA
(Quiet angry tone) So that's what he's been doing. He's going after the places that fall just outside my boarders to bolster his power. And he's clearly set his sights on the Amazon's not only for your lands but as a means to fund his efforts. Which is most likely why he's capturing them. To be sold.

Xena slammed her fist down on her desk.

XENA
(Angry tone) That son of a bitch. Him and Ares. They aren't gonna get away with any of this.

MELOSA
Ares?

Hearing Xena bring up the God of War's name unprompted confused Melosa.

MELOSA
What does any of the god's have to do with this?

XENA
That's how Draco's been able to overpower you so easily. He has Ares helping him. That overrated immortal has a personal interest in me and got pissed off when I told him I wasn't interested in him or his "help". So he gave it to Draco to watch him crush me.

MELOSA
I suppose that being a god of war, having you and Draco going to war over the warlord's invasion would benefit him.

XENA
Yeah that too. I guess the past few years, he's likely been bored for the most part since I have a very large amount of Greece under my control now.

MELOSA
Then if we're up against one of the god's themselves, I don't see how we can possibly win this. That is unless we find another one of them that will help us. Though I don't know how well that'll work given that Draco has the god of war on his side.

Xena flashed a cocky smirk.

XENA
I fear no one. Mortal or not. Ares may be a god, but he isn't unbeatable. And neither is Draco. Even with Ares' help.

Xena stood from her seat as she moved to where she kept her sword on a rack and idly looked at it as she continued to speak.

XENA
(Ominous tone) I think it about time I repayed them both for the little gift I was left with the last time we met. Soon Draco and Ares will learn what happens to anyone who thinks that they can cross me and get away with it.

The crowd from the Amazons arrival had long since disbursed as they had been escorted to their rooms and everyone who resided in the keep had resumed their usual routines. Gabrielle felt some relief as it seemed that none of the visiting Amazons had seemed to notice her as aside from Melosa, Gabrielle had spotted some of the other women that she and Elle had interacted with during their brief visit to the Amazon's village. And fortunately they had all been escorted to their rooms as Gabrielle had gotten out of the situation unnoticed before she carried on with her usual routine and went to the archives. She had been at work for a good while when a voice from behind her pulled Gabrielle from her work, surprising her.

?
Gabrielle?

Gabrielle looked over her shoulder as she put the scroll in her hand on the shelf and turned around to a smiling face.

TERREIS
Who would have thought I'd find you here.

GABRIELLE
Terreis? I didn't know you were one of the ones that came here.

TERREIS
Yup. I came with my mother. Actually I think a lot of the ones you met from the village came along.

GABRIELLE
Oh wow. There was a good number of you downstairs I didn't notice.

TERREIS
Yeah. Given what's going on, my mother thought it would be better if we traveled in a bigger group than we normally do. Though I had to practically beg her to let me come along.

GABRIELLE
Why

Terreis shrugged.

TERREIS
She thought it might be too dangerous in case the group got attacked while traveling here. But after a bit I ended up convincing her to let me come. And I'm so glad I did since I get to see you again Gabrielle.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
It's nice to see you too, Terreis.

TERREIS
So this is the archives, huh?

The young Amazon princess looked around at the surrounding shelves as she took in the sheer number of writings that appeared to be stored in the large room.

TERREIS
The lord Conqueror sure has a pretty big collection of writings.

?
She certainly does.

Hearing another voice Gabrielle and Terreis looked over to see Sara walking over to them.

GABRIELLE
Oh sorry Sara, I got a little distracted. I'll get back to work right away.

Sara smiled.

SARA
Oh don't worry about it. You're always such a hard worker when you're in here. So I know you aren't just standing around for no reason.

The archivist gave Terreis a friendly smile as she continued.

SARA
So who do we have here?

Terreis introduced herself as Sara then did the same.

SARA
An Amazon princess. That's certainly interesting. Are you enjoying your visit to the keep so far?

TERREIS
I am. I was actually looking around when I came in here and happened to run into Gabrielle.

Sara looked at Gabrielle with a bit of a surprised expression.

SARA
Gabrielle, you never told me you knew an Amazon princess.

Feeling the sense of dread of the possibility of the Conqueror finding out about her attempted escape return, Gabrielle did her best to casually play off knowing Terreis as she simultaneously tried to change the subject.

GABRIELLE
Oh I guess I never thought to mention it.

TERREIS
You know ever since you left the village I've been hoping I'd get to see you again.

SARA
You've been to an Amazon village?

Again Gabrielle tried to carefully navigate the conversation as she chose her words carefully to avoid Sara learning exactly how she knew Terreis. And to avoid making any obvious lies that Terreis might unintentionally call her out on.

GABRIELLE
(Slightly nervous tone) Oh did I never mention that either?

SARA
Well I guess you're just full of surprises, aren't you?

GABRIELLE
Yeah I guess so.

Just wanting the interaction to end before anything was said that could possibly lead to the discovery of her temporary escape, Gabrielle quickly tried to get Terreis to leave the Archives.

GABRIELLE
You know I'm sure your mother is probably wondering where you are.

TERREIS
I doubt it. The last I knew she was meeting with the Conqueror.

Terreis lost her cheerful expression as she continued.

TERREIS
We actually came here for her help.

GABRIELLE
Her help?

TERREIS
Yeah. We Amazon's are in very serious danger. So my mother thought that the best way to help save our people was to come here and see what the Conqueror could do to help us.

GABRIELLE
But what if she doesn't wanna help?

TERREIS 
I'm sure she will. Don't forget we are allies. But whether we get the Conqueror's help or not, given the dire situation, my mother felt that it was a risk worth taking.

GABRIELLE
Well while I didn't know what the Conqueror's gonna do, I really hope that your people get the help you need.

TERREIS
Thanks. So do I.

SARA
I'm sure it'll work out. But in the meantime...

The archivist looked at Gabrielle.

SARA
I've got things covered here. So why don't you show Terreis around. I'm sure she'll find her way around much easier with a guide.

GABRIELLE
But I couldn't just up and leave you to work alone like that?

SARA
It's fine Gabrielle. I've got things handled just fine. Plus I'm sure that the Amazon queen will be very appreciative of you showing her daughter a fun time. Which I'm sure will make the lord Conqueror happy as ìt will certainly go a long way in keeping keeping good relationships with them. So go ahead and don't worry about

Ģabrielle stood there for a moment as she thought about what Sara had just said and found that it did seem to make sense. So though she still felt a bit uncertain about doing it, Gabrielle agreed show Terreis around the keep.

TERREIS
Oh, thank you, Gabrielle.

The young Amazon smiled excitedly.

TERREIS
Ooo this gonna be exciting. I can't wait.

And so Gabrielle and Terreis left the archives as the two had fun wondering around the keep. All the while both young women talked about various things as Gabrielle found herself really enjoying Terreis's company. And as the sun began to fall, the pair overheard some other people who were walking down hall mention that they were handing down the feast that had finished being prepared and, the pair began making their way down stairs. But as Gabrielle lead Terreis to the dining room, she nor the Amazon princess had any clue about the chaos and tragedy that was about to take place and as a result, it would throw the entire keep into utter chaos.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 135 26
In a shocking twist of fate, the unprepared Princess Vivienne of the Azalea Kingdom is suddenly forced onto the throne and shoved into the midst of a...
5K 246 23
Gabby is just a young, black girl trying to break free and be who she really is. She meets a woman who turns her life completely upside down. Conflic...
286 24 16
(not related to the episode with the same name) What happens when Xena and Gabrielle are pinned against each other, in an evil plot to destroy Xena...
186 0 26
With Xena forgiven for her past crimes against the Amazon's and Gabrielle's queenhood restored, Xena and Gabrielle decide it might be time for them a...