The Healer

By MEllenH

Evelyn was sent up to The Maze with the original Gladers. She was the lone girl right from the start. But bei... More

Author's Notes
Prologue
Chapter 1: Birthday Wish
Chapter 2: Waking up
Chapter 3: Not a Witch
Chapter 4: First Gathering
Chapter 5: Nighttime Secrets
Chapter 6: The Glade
Chapter 7: A Hurting Heart
Chapter 8: Banishment
Chapter 9: The Syringe
Chapter 10: Grief
Chapter 11: Moonlit Forest
Chapter 12: Final Human Trial
Chapter 13: Don't Worry
Chapter 14: Rock Bottom
Chapter 15: Broken
Chapter 16: Listless Feelings
Chapter 17: Found & Awake
Chapter 18: Angel in Moonlight
Chapter 19: Anger
Chapter 20: Deal
Chapter 21: Quality Time
Chapter 22: Blushing
Chapter 23: I'm Yours
Author Note
chapter 24: The Box
Chapter 25: Bloody Wounds
Chapter 26: Glade Princess
Chapter 27: Awake
Chapter 28: Tease
Chapter 29: Taste Testing
Chapter 30: Tipsy Little Pixy
Chapter 31: Hangovers
Chapter 32: Follow the Flame
Chapter 33: Game On
Chapter 34: The Healer
Chapter 35: Fire
Chapter 36: Chuck
Chapter 37: Grief in the Forest
Chapter 38: Greenie Day
Chapter 39: Hurt Feelings
Chapter 40: Another Greenie
Chapter 41: Slammed Shut
Chapter 42: A Night
Chapter 43: Numbness
Chapter 44: Confessions
Chapter 45: Decisions
Chapter 46: Banishment
Chapter 47: Bloody Halls
Chapter 48: Take a Shower
Chapter 49: The Girl
Chapter 50: Voices in my Head
Chapter 51: Hammock in the Forest
Chapter 52: Section 4
Chapter 53: The Cliff
Chapter 54: Voices and Leaders
Chapter 55: Attacked
Chapter 56: Gally's Warning
Chapter 57: The Truth of it All
Chapter 59: The Hall
Chapter 60: Near Death
Chapter 61: The Final Variable
Chapter 62: Rescued

Chapter 58: Be Careful. Don't Die.

275 13 49
By MEllenH

The Gladers all milled around the wall. Evelyn could feel the tension and nervousness from all the Gladers. Faces were grim and mouths were pressed into tight thin lines. Everyone here wanted to leave, but they all knew the stakes, it wouldn't be easy, but they were all ready.

Evelyn looked around at these boys. Her heart squeezed tight, and she had to really stifle the cry that tried to make its way out. They had become her family; her brothers. Keeping a tight lid on her emotions she made her way around giving each boy a hug and a smile of encouragement. With each hug she felt all their fear, panic, anxiety, sadness and anger. Before she realized what she was doing, she was giving each boy a little bit of her power, easing their tension, giving them her hope, and taking on their unease. She knew Nick, Minho and Newt would be angry with her, but she couldn't help it.

She got to her core group of boys, her eyes welled with tears. What if she lost any of these boys, how would her world keep going?

"Eve? You okay?" Sonny asked, frowning at her.

Swallowing hard passed the lump in her throat, she forced a smile.

"I don't think so." Sonny said quietly and folded his huge arms.

Evelyn broke and threw herself into his arms. The damn broke and tears fell down her cheeks. He wrapped his arms around her and held her tight. Sonny and Newt made eye contact from across the head of boys and they both frowned; both worried about her. She was such a tender soft soul, the boys were worried how it would affect her. Especially if she couldn't save them all.

"What...what if something happens to any of you?" She cried into his shoulder.

"You you keep living and honour those who laid down their lives so you could live free."

"Sonny!" Tears kept falling.

He patted her back, "come on, we gotta get ready." He said gently.

She pulled back, using the heels of her hands to try ride the tears from her face.

"Hey! Where's mine?" Nick pouted.

"Right here!" And she threw herself into his arms.

He squished her tight. Her arms around his neck and she held him tight.

"Thank you!" She whispered.

"No, it's the other way around. You always kept me going. You were the one actually running the show, I was just the face."

"Nick...you were the first one to care for me, my first friend, my first brother. I love you so much!"

"You saved my life literally twice. I won't ever be able to repay that!"

"You don't need to. Thank you for everything!"

He pulled away, his hands on her shoulders. She looked up at him, taking in his features, glasses and his dark eyes and long eyelashes, his kind smile that was goofy yet shy. She held his face in her hands.

"Be safe tonight Nicky. I can't do life without you!"

"Well, Pixy, if your handing out hugs, where the shuck is mine?" Minho raised an eyebrow at her.

She made a noise half way between a laugh and sob and turned to hug him too. She heared him hum.

"Your new girlfriend alright with you hugging other girls?" She teased as he hugged her even tighter.

"Is Lover Boy gonna be jealous?" He whispered back.

She just chuckled into his shoulder. If it was possible, he held her tighter. He dropped all sass and tease in his next sentence.

"Thank you Pixy for all those late night pep talks and tough love."

"It's what a bestie is for! And thank you Min for seriously everything, all your teasing and jokes and care. Be safe."

"That's what she said!"

"That doesn't even make sense!" Evelyn laughed as tears slid down her face.

He pulled away and shrugged, and then grined down at her.

"Remember that time you got drunk with Gally?"

"Not really." She said swatting at tears, "I think that's what drunk is."

"Well it was hilarious, and when we get outta this hell, were getting drunk together and gonna give Newt a run for his money."

"Deal. Also, definitely more sleepovers and late night snack eating!"

"Shucken rights!" He grinned, then it slid off his face into a serious look, "I do love you Pixy, thank you for being my best friend. Newt can suck it-"

"Now that's what she said." Evelyn giggled threw more tears.

Minho threw his head back and let out a loud belly laugh.

"There it is!'

"That's what she also said!"

Minho laughed even harder. He had tears leaking down his face now. Evelyn smiled.

"Your making this too easy Min!"

"That's what she said!" Minho gasped between his laughter.

"That's what Tessa said! She's been awake what... 3 days?" Evelyn raised an eyebrow at him, and swatted his arm. Minho grinned slyly at her and winked. Evelyn rolled her eyes. Minho squeezed her shoulders.

"I heard all about it." Evelyn grinned back.

"I'm sure you did." He waved a hand dismissively, but his cheeks went slightly pink.

"Head up soldier."

"Fiesty little Pixy."

Thomas slid up looking sheepish. Evelyn turned to Thomas. He awkwardly held his arms out and she stepped into them. She hugged him tight.

"I owe you my life Thomas."

"Thanks for not hating me."

"I could never hate you. Tommy."

"What? Did you just call me..?" He pulled away looking shocked.

"Yes Tommy. I did."

He grinned at her, making him look like an over large excited toddler. Making her chuckle. She squeezed his arms.

"Us next! Us next!" Jeff and Clint came bounding over, and wrapping her up in a group hug.

"Oh boys!" She chuckled, "I would have gone absolutely shucken crazy if it wasn't for you two!"

She pulled away just enough to see them properly, placing a hand on each of their cheeks. Looking back and forth between them.

"Seriously. Both of you jumped in and saved my life and sanity." She smiled sadly at them

"Awww Evy. It was a pleasure to work with you!" Clint smiled at her.

She had no words, her heart was a mixture of love and fear. She loved all these boys, and remembering them all, all the good times laughs. But the fear of what they were going to attempt flooded back and the knot grew in her chest, it made her feel sick. She just pulled the boys back into another group hug. She pulled back from the group hug with yet another small smile, she excused herself having seen Alby sulking over to the side, away from the main group of the Gladers, alone. Alby picked at the string of his bow while he stared at the ground. A quiver of arrows hung over his shoulder. Evelyn felt a rush of worry that somehow Alby was unstable, that somehow he’d screw everything up. She shook her head to rid herself of those thoughts; yes he was unstable, but that was not his fault.

Cautiously Evelyn walked over, she put her hands in her pockets, still cautious about touching him, the voices still scared her.

"Hey Alby." She said quietly.

The boy jumped like she scared him. He looked around at her, with his sad eyes.

"Oh. Evelyn. Hi."

"I just wanted to check in, see how you are...and to say thank you."

His grouchy face didn't change too much, but his eyebrows pulled together and the corners of his mouth tugged down.

"Thank you? For what?"

"We weren't as close as some of the others, but you were always a friend. Always a brother, who believed in me and my abilities, treated me with respect and kindness."

"Oh...oh yeah...good that."

She sighed, "Alby...I know leaving scares you, I don't really understand what you saw in the changing, but whatever it is... we'll get through it. Together. We always have and we always will."

He looked away, his face falling and his eyes filling with tears. It was hard to see their stable strong leader so broken.

"Yeah... together..." He sniffed.

With another sigh, and a small smile she turned away. Alby reached out and caught hold of her wrist. Evelyn turned back confused, Alby wasn't usually one for touching. But he tugged her into a hug. Immediately she hugged him back. She could feel his shoulders shaking, she rubbed his broad back and shushed him. She let him cry.

"Thank you. For getting those voices out of my head. And...and all your help leading this shucken place and all these shanks."

He dropped his arms and stepped away, looking away and trying to wipe the tears away. She took his face in her hands and made him look at her. She smiled at him.

"It was a pleasure working with you Alby. And remember, If you ain't scared you-"

"Ain't human." He finished.

"Exactly. We're all scared, but that means we're alive, and we're still here fighting."

"You'll get them out. You, Thomas and Teresa. With Minho and Newt...you guys will get them out."

"Them includes you. I fully believe I have another flower crown to make for you." Evelyn said firmly.

Evelyn saw the corner of his mouth twitch and a ghost of a smile appeared. She pulled his head down and kissed his forehead. Letting go, she gave him an encouraging smile. She turned away again only to be slammed around the waist by chubby arms.

"Mom!" Chuck cried.

"Chucky! My Sweet Child!"

Chuck let go and Evelyn knelt down in front of him, his face was full of sadness.

"What's wrong, Sweetie?"

He pulled something out of his pocket, and fidgeted with it and then held it out. She cautiously picked it up. It was a small little statue made of wood. Two people were carved into it.

"Chuck this is awesome. You made this?"

He nodded, his curls bouncing.

"Yeah...it's for my parents...but I don't even remember my mom, so...you can have it." He shrugged, with a loud sniff.

Evelyn's heart broke. She felt her insides twist, and tears welled up.

"Hold onto this for me, okay?" She handed it back, "we'll find her. I love you Chuck. So much!" She held him tight, and he wrapped his arms around her neck. They held each other tight for a moment longer, until there was a quiet throat clear behind them. Chuck pulled away.

"Lover boy wants a hug now." He teased trying to wipe tears off his face.

"Mind if I steal her for a buggen' moment?"

"She's your girlfriend. Have at 'er." Chuck smirked.

He turned away and went to talk to Thomas. Newt helped her to her feet. Tucking some hair behind her ear his big soft melted chocolate eyes gazed at her.

"You're beautiful, Lee." He finally said quietly.

She felt a blush rise to the surface of her cheeks.

"Well you're not too bad yourself."

He chucked. He held her face in his hands, his thumbs brushing gently back and forth, Evelyn had wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Every bloody thing I said a few days ago still holds true. I wanna build a life outside this place with you."

"What if we get out and you find some other girl...?" She asked, that fear had been floating in the back of her mind the last little while. She was the only girl here, the guys options were limited...so what if it was just because she was the only girl?

"Nah." He said shaking his head, "none of them would compare to my moonlit Angel." Leaning forward he gently kissed her. "I want you. I love you. Fully." His lips tickled hers when he whispered.

"I love you too. Fully." She whispered back.

"Be safe, please." She heard the fear in his plead.

"You too."

They pulled away, reluctantly. It was time to get to work. Minho and Thomas were distribute the weapons, and even more innovative ones were created in their desperation to be prepared for the Grievers. Wooden poles were carved into spears or wrapped in barbwire; the knives were sharpened and fastened with twine to the ends of sturdy branches hacked from trees in the woods; chunks of broken glass were duct-taped to shovels. Slicers and Cooks handed out knives. Evelyn went around making sure there was first aid supplies dispersed between Gladers.

By the end of the hour, the Gladers had turned into a small army. A very pathetic, ill-prepared army, but a determined army. Evelyn stood with Minho, Newt, Thomas and Teresa in front of the big dark maze doors. Sonny, Nick, Jeff, Clint, Alby, Chuck, Fry and Winston stood off to the side, and the rest of the Gladers all crowded around.

"All right! Listen up!" Thomas called.

"Hey! Slim it ya slintheads!" Minho bellowed.

The Gladers kept rustling and muttering. There was a rush of the wild wild from the maze halls that came whooshing through, sending Evelyn's hair all over.

"Enough!" Evelyn roared,

There was quiet immediately, every Glader turned to look.

"How do you make them listen?" Minho pouted.

"Well considering most think I'm some kind of witch, thanks to Gally's wild warning and then the wind makes me look crazy...it helps." She smirked at Minho. She heard a few snickers from the others.

"Fare."

"Alright!" Thomas called and turned back to the group. "Make sure you’ve got your weapons. Other than that...there isn’t a whole lot to say." Thomas shrugged.

Someone should give a pep talk." Minho suggested.

"Well, go ahead." Newt encouraged, and swept his arm. Minho frowned for a second, thinking. He straightened up, let go of Teresa's hand and stepped forwards. Putting his hands on hips, he puffed his chest out and looked at the guys.

"Be careful." he said as dryly as possible, "don't die."

Such a Minho thing to say. Evelyn snorted and had to clamp a hand over her mouth to keep the giggles contained. She glanced over and saw Teresa holding a hand over her mouth to contain the laughter. The girls made eye contact and had to turn away because they giggled harder.

Newt rolled his eyes. "Great, we're all bloody inspired!"

Minho looked at him, crossed his arms. "You wanna do better? Floors yours." He stepped back with a wide smirk and stepped back beside Teresa.

"I was inspired, babe" Teresa whispered, and kissed his cheek.

"Yep, way to rally the troops, Soilder." Evelyn giggled.

"Thank you. I thought it summed everything up nicely." He shrugged, with a smirk and wink at the girls. Newt banged the butt of his spear on the ground. All eyes turned to Newt.

"After more'n 3 years of being treated like mice...no more! NO SHUCKEN MORE! Tonight we're makin' a bloody stand! Right now we are taking the buggen' fight back to the creators! No matter what we have to go through to get there! This ends NOW! An' they better be scared!"

Riding on the wave of courage from the group Evelyn raised her spear into the air, and shouted, "We don't belong here. This place isn't our home. We were put here. We're trapped here. Out there we have a choice. We can make it out of here."

"Hear that creators? We're coming for you!" There was a fire in Newt's eyes, a grim look of determination on his usual soft face. Newt was ready for war. Evelyn felt her heart slamming into her chest, her muscles tensing. She was ready to leave, she was ready to fight.

Newt slid his hand into Evelyn's and intertwined his fingers. Thomas let out a loud battle cry, which was followed by the others cheering, and yelling. With her other hand, Evelyn thrust her spear into the air with a yell of defiance. Newt doing the same. The Gladers  grew so loud it sounded like a whole army, ready to fight to the death. And not a bunch of scared teenagers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 259 17
Y/N was the first girl sent into the maze right before Teresa, the only catch was that she was sent up the Box along with Thomas. Neither of them had...
21.9K 768 36
"We are never getting out of here are we," I said to my best friend without the slightest bit of hope. "Come on, Teddy. Don't think like that," he s...
27.6K 633 29
You were caught sneaking around WCKD, so what happens when they place you in the Maze Trials too? But unlike the others, you are the only girl, the s...
25.7K 876 78
It was all a mistake. Rosie was scheduled to be sent into Maze B, however something went wrong, and she was swapped and sent up into Maze A. Rosie...